Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jan 10, 2014 1:14 PM

Dec 2011
I have my expectations.

Just hope MC don't trade Kurumi for Mui.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2014 1:41 PM

Apr 2013
Everything happened so fast!
He got the power,
and she got the power,
and "gilgamesh" got the power...

But it still seems good, probably will not be in my favorites of this season.

Nisx said:
WTF!?!
A magic that make the boobs grow up :O

Awesome, right!?
Jan 10, 2014 2:31 PM

Jun 2012
The plot is actually really interesting. The main character has a sad past, yes!, the characters don't have super ANNOYING personalities, check!(well, at least sorta, Miu is kinda annoying with her brother brother thing, but I'm sorta ok with it cause I love sibling bonds), Not too much annoying ecchi, yea, sorta. Well, I just think that both the plot is good and the characters are quite interesting and they are not like most SUPER ANNOYING anime that spam ecchi every 5 seconds.
Jan 10, 2014 3:04 PM
Jan 2008
Someone notice that the guy with the sword looks kind of like Lancer of Fate Stay Night and the blond friend looks like Gilgamesh.

And just like the others were saying, this anime has problems with logic. Bamboo sword vs big ass sword, people running around with weapons and no ones care,...
Jan 10, 2014 3:17 PM

Nov 2011
To those complaining about logic -- it's anime, come on. Not everything has to make perfect sense. On another note, however, I don't think many of you realize just how strong a bamboo sword is and he wasn't really using it to block hits from the big sword.

Pretty interesting first ep though!! As a girl I don't think that boob transformation magic was necessary but hey, whatever the weebs like.

Hopefully this'll turn out good.
魔法少女グレイシー
Jan 10, 2014 3:24 PM

Nov 2012
Pretty boring,up until they started using magic.But even then it was nothing special.I can already tell this is going to be just another average/generic series just like Tokyo Ravens and Strike the Blood.

Animation and character designs were pretty crappy/ugly too.

If anything I'll probably only continue this because of Miyano.
Jan 10, 2014 3:54 PM

Dec 2013
I'm looking forward for another episode, Mui ... she looks really like Shana :D but I like it
Jan 10, 2014 4:55 PM

Feb 2012
I didnt read the LN or read any of the other post but is the MC having problems "live in hell" because his brother is having sex with his mother or whatever lol thanks what i got from the first 5 min
Jan 10, 2014 5:05 PM
Mar 2013
Too much for one episode! I felt so much was cramped into this. So many concepts and explanations. I think this has potential to be a good series.
Jan 10, 2014 5:23 PM

Apr 2012
Nice Episode, OP is Good and ED is Awesome :D

Jan 10, 2014 5:55 PM

May 2012
Nice swordfight and was surprised that it is by Madhouse.. nice voice actors too so will probably stick around.
Jan 10, 2014 7:12 PM

Apr 2011
Liking it so far. Excellent fighting animation, hero is good with a sword, and the gun girl's tsun side didn't stick around long, thank the gods. Considering how heavily she screwed up everyone's life this episode, an aloof attitude wouldn't have gone over real well. Though so far all she did to the girlfriend was make her jealous and give her the ability to make her boobs get huge, lol. It's odd, main girl seems to clearly be the gun chick yet the MC starts out with a girlfriend who also becomes a mage. Love triangle perhaps?

For the record, I do hope the girlfriend character is able to do more than just make her boobs grow ... it'd be useful as a distraction but not much else. Probably she can use Transformation magic to raise her strength and agility as well as cup size. Though the oppai is at least a good way to try and keep gun girl from stealing her boyfriend :P

Will likely stick with this show. Anime Hogwarts is always fun to see.
Jan 10, 2014 7:25 PM

Nov 2009
It had more stereotypes than I thought. I find it weird that Takeshi wasn't surprised by Mui's gun. And the kiss felt really forced.

The concept is interesting but I hope they explain more in the next ep.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2014 8:00 PM

Mar 2013
Promising start, looks like it could be of one of the better shows this season.

Pretty funny as well this was one of the shows announced mid last year and everybody started bitching.

Jan 10, 2014 8:39 PM

Dec 2012
Not a bad start for this anime. The OP and ED were not to bad as well.
The action was pretty good.
Looking forward to seeing more.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jan 10, 2014 10:24 PM

Oct 2013
I thought Mui would be badass from the very start. The art kind of feels wrong but at least the animation in the fight scenes are pretty decent. Very interesting start although I hope they start explaining things next week.
Jan 10, 2014 11:34 PM

Mar 2013
it appeared to be like a typical 1st episode. Nothing major in terms of a plot reveal, just character introductions and a bit of a world builder. Two key moments really stuck out for me though.

1) The penalty for harming another magician in the real world is kinda extreme and crazy, I think it adds an element to this show that keeps it from being stale and generic.

2) Isoshima's magic ability manifesting, for lack of a better term, in an *cough* interesting way.

It'll definitely be worth watching next week's episode, mostly cause I have questions that need answers about this show.

GGNoodles said:
nice they are got their powers on the first episode

doing it that way definitely saves 2, 3 episodes to develop the story and characters. Though it did feel a bit rushed in how they did it.

Mod Edit: Double-post combined.
rodacJan 14, 2014 1:07 AM
Jan 11, 2014 12:15 AM

May 2013
I expected this to be a 10/10 anime but i guest its just an 8/10 hmmm
I liked it my expectation was just a little over :/

All of them Turn into a Magician in 1 episode
the power of the yellow haired girl is to make her boobs bigger? woah might be usefull :D
Jan 11, 2014 12:21 AM

Dec 2013
A lot of people seem to like the "girlfriend" better than Shana... er, Mui, I mean. I'm honestly, however, pulling for Mui. The fact she looks like Shana is cool, and I love the gun magic, and from what I gathered she has the better interaction with the MC. Not to mention, according to the plot outline, the "girlfriend" isn't really a girlfriend. I don't really get the whole fake girlfriend concept, but it probably has something to do with the mysterious past of the MC. I don't know what the deal with his brother and mother are, maybe sexing each other up or something, who knows; but it's possible he went with the whole fake girlfriend thing to keep them off his back and give himself reason to leave the house as much as possible, since he said he'd rather live in hell then be at home.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Jan 11, 2014 2:58 AM

Aug 2012
Good first episode but is it just me or does Mui look like Shana and doesn't this episode seem similar to 11 eyes? The op is decent and the ED is amazing.
Jan 11, 2014 3:03 AM

Oct 2012
since a lot have been said already, I'm just going to add what have not been said.

Since one cannot hurt other mages with magic in the other world, but as long as it is not a direct contact, it is ok. The setting make it better to have supportive or passive magic instead . However, the big sword guy was talking about using his evasive magic too, but didn't.

The Rule also have problems as well. Most mages want to live in harmony with the human, but set no rule to prevent the harm of human. Anyone who is not an adult, when expose to magic becomes a magician. what is stopping ghost trailer from turning street gangs into magicians and costing troubles in the human world? Just turning most students into magician and then take them into the magic world will worry most parents and lead to the involvement of the police after a few days. the rule of taking away of one's magic is to prevent magician's skirmish in the human world, which might be to not cause problem for the humans, or to keep magic a secret.That rule does not help at all if terrorist mages are serious about wreaking havoc in the human world.

The protagonist said that he is prepare to go anywhere, even hell to get away from his home. but is not prepare for another dimensional world filled with abandon buildings!? I imagine hell is a lot worse; even deserts is worse than an abandon city.
needalistJan 11, 2014 3:08 AM
Jan 11, 2014 4:29 AM
Feb 2013
Pretty interesting first episode.

Thought the sword fight was pretty cool and the MC wasn't totally useless from the start.
The logic behind explanations and rules inside the world/universe regarding magic etc. are not really convincing at this moment but I liked the concepts enough to overlook the flawed logic, as others said it's anime after all.

Will certainly watch the next episode but the whole magic academy thing looks very boring, I hope it will not last too many episodes.
Jan 11, 2014 4:38 AM

Nov 2013
This episode was decent.
Looking forward to more episodes.
Jan 11, 2014 4:46 AM
Jan 2013
thought the art style and concept was really cool, just hope it doesn't get boring and isn't set in a school for two long (as seen in the preview),
anyway, high hopes for this series! mui's really cute :B
Jan 11, 2014 5:28 AM

Apr 2010
Starmie said:
To those complaining about logic -- it's anime, come on. Not everything has to make perfect sense.

Sorry, but that argument doesn't work when they(creators of the show) want you to take the scene seriously. This isn't an over the top action show or a comedy, or maybe it is, hue.
Jan 11, 2014 9:36 AM

Aug 2013
In Japan, bamboo swords exceed the power of metal swords. Then again, the theory that he was actually parrying off the side of the sword would have explained it.

Man I really love this anime already! The magicians powers were explained well, the soundtrack was amazingly addictive for me, the animation was superb 90% of the time and somewhat lackluster in other parts (or maybe I was just watching a lower-quality episode, in which case the animation was perfect), and I can't wait for the next episode!

Lol, gotta enhance the boobs.
Gary29Jan 11, 2014 10:07 AM
Jan 11, 2014 9:57 AM

Feb 2013
Lol that transformation magic on her boobs, I'm wondering whats up with his family though
Jan 11, 2014 10:42 AM
Oct 2012
The disappointing thing about this episode was the "painting by numbers" feel to it.

1) Girl swoons, check
2) Girl needing rescuing, check
2) Hero accepts call to action with no surprise, check
3) Fake kiss, check
4) Impossible deed, check (they could at least explain that the sword was carbon reinforced, something, anything)
5) Hero has hidden power, check
6) Hero knows how to use hidden power without being told how to, check
7) Love triangle for hero, check
8) Blonde with large breasts, check
9) Hero goes on a journey, check
There was only one interesting thing about the episode, which will be a nice plot line in episode 2 (assuming that I am right about that).

I know that this was an "establishing" episode, so we should be patient to see where this goes from here, but that first episode was beyond dull to watch. Oh, starts are hard, its the journey that matters, so lets see where this goes.
Jan 11, 2014 11:17 AM

Jan 2013
Metal can't cut wood! Anime's logic. I love it =]]]]
Jan 11, 2014 12:00 PM

Dec 2013
I've been trying to avoid having to repeat something here that has already been said by someone else, but it seems no one is paying any attention. The bamboo sword thing, the physics of it are actually fairly simple to understand. The bamboo swords are made of strips of "hardened" bamboo, which is bamboo treated for extra durability, held together with bands and caps. This gives the swords a great amount of both durability and flexibility. The flexibility, itself, adds to the durability even more by allowing the sword to bend instead of break under most circumstances. And if you noticed, when hit with a direct slash the bamboo was cut and a piece of it flew off. The Japanese have been making these bamboo swords for many centuries, they've got it down to a fine art. I can also say from experience, those things hurt when they hit you. lol
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Jan 11, 2014 2:39 PM

Jun 2010
I don't really like how the characters were introduced and i thought this episode was a bit rushed. But I guess it is still watchable since there are three normal students that just suddenly acquired magic and I assume they are going to level up and battle the bad guys next. Well, normally it's just a one random guy who gets involve in some shit like magic but this series got three persons and not to mention the two were a couple which make things interesting.

Two things I didn't get though - One is that as mentioned in the comments how did that bamboo sword survive that sharp metal sword and two is how did that random guy knock the short-haired magic girl? I don't believe she just fell over like he said.

Also why didn't they show how did they went to that mirror world or something? Did they just pass through a mirror? I don't understand.

Well, at least the MC was actually confused when he first saw a magic.. *ehem* witch craft works and at least I can actually see the plot and how will the story go in this series... *ehem* z/x ignition.

Will continue watching, I don't want to drop every anime series this season..
Jan 11, 2014 2:42 PM

Sep 2013
cool ed :)

i know that the character designs aren't that original but it didn't rly bother me tbh
maybe i'm used to watching recycled ideas haha. reminded me of shana + f/s night

animation was pretty nice tho! just felt like they could've slowed down a bit ^^;
Jan 11, 2014 2:51 PM
Jan 2008
-MgZ_ said:
Well, at least the MC was actually confused when he first saw a magic.. *ehem* witch craft works

I just saw it as Takamiya showing that he wasn't a spineless douche like everybody assumes he is. I was pleasantly surprised by Witchcraft. I was so bored with Mahou Sensou that I forgot what I watched after it was over and had to skim through it to remember.

Maybe episode 2 will be better, but I'm not holding my breath here.
Jan 11, 2014 4:58 PM

Dec 2012
Well that was quite an eventful episode. The sword fight was pretty cool, and another magic series never hurts. Feels like I've started a trilogy watching this hand in hand with Tokyo Ravens + Strike the Blood. Can't believe Takeshi's girlfriend was worried about him calling Mui by her first name in that situation though :p.
Jan 11, 2014 4:59 PM

Jun 2010
ZodiacBeast said:
-MgZ_ said:
Well, at least the MC was actually confused when he first saw a magic.. *ehem* witch craft works

I just saw it as Takamiya showing that he wasn't a spineless douche like everybody assumes he is.
Umm did we even watch the same episode? Cuz I remember seeing him whining BECAUSE the girl save him and because the girl's hair was burning. What do you mean by "he wasn't a spineless douch like everybody"? :o
Jan 11, 2014 5:34 PM
Aug 2011
What a bunch of ignorant asses we have here. A bamboo sword is pretty damn strong and besides his sword did get cut in the first round. Also, how on earth can you label some characters generic after 1 episode? rocks for brains that's why! a decent episode overall, felt a bit rushed though. Animation was a bit off, but i liked the fight sequences. Also the MC seems to be different from today's run of the mill, stupid carefree mc's read:naruto. Will wait further to have a good analysis for the show
Jan 11, 2014 5:36 PM

Feb 2013
Magical lolis with guns? ... count me in!

I have mixed feelings about this one. It kept the pace pretty well, but it feels a bit "under" done. The whole boobs thing was a bit off-putting. I was not expecting that kind of service... I get the feeling this will turn into a lame magical harem school life anime.
Jan 11, 2014 7:43 PM

Nov 2012
woah.. nice so far.. I like the fighting scene.. XD and that magic gun <3 XD
and in the end they are became mahou tsukai~
and then they became student of wizard academy?~ yeah.. its gonna be awesome :P
Jan 11, 2014 9:13 PM

Aug 2013
At the end I couldn't help but think, "It sure is a good thing is summer break, and this school isn't totally filled with potential new magicians!" After their battle, they'd have to evacuate something like 100 people to the mirror world...
Jan 11, 2014 9:37 PM
Jan 2008
-MgZ_ said:
ZodiacBeast said:
-MgZ_ said:

I just saw it as Takamiya showing that he wasn't a spineless douche like everybody assumes he is.
Umm did we even watch the same episode? Cuz I remember seeing him whining BECAUSE the girl save him and because the girl's hair was burning. What do you mean by "he wasn't a spineless douch like everybody"? :o

I don't remember him "whining" about anything. Yeah, he was questioning why she would protect him and damage herself just for his sake but it didn't sound like whining, more like disbelief that she would do so.

Most people that have watched WCW have been complaining that Takamiya is a pussy and the show would be better without him. Usually it's related to how the entire school hates him/beats him up or how Kagari has to protect him.
Jan 11, 2014 9:43 PM
Jun 2009
It's 2014 and this quality of art and animation is acceptable? The characters are so bland and unoriginal, so does the setting, plot and everything else. A girl falling out from a door in the morning is something you see everyday in anime. The fighting scene is okay at best. I have seen better, years ago. Not sure where you guys have been, but I am sure I am not from under some rocks. So far, this, x/z, both nobunaga titles and the stupid softcore yuri anime are amongst the worst of the season.
Jan 11, 2014 10:58 PM

Jan 2013
I surprisingly enjoyed this despite rolling my eyes at every cliche they managed to include and the amount of coincidences present.

The characters aren't particularly special, especially their astounding lack of noses, but I found myself laughing over how Gilgamesh is apparently an accidental mage now.

Well I at least want MC to stay with his gf throughout the show although I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment since Mui looks like the main girl.
Jan 11, 2014 11:17 PM

Oct 2010
Kicked off the season pretty well. Enjoyable setting and character designs that invite the interpretation of a hidden complexity to each character. Placing high hopes on this particular series.

This is also one of the extremely rare cases where I don't particularly dislike any of the characters. Sure I'd love for him to spoil Mui a little bit, but Isoshima isn't bad either. Plus, being able to watch this series with a college friend of Touyama Nao, who voices Mui, gives this the added bonus of connected familiarity, and a greater appreciation for the voice acting.
Jan 12, 2014 12:54 AM

Sep 2010
Meh....
Jan 12, 2014 1:43 AM

Apr 2011
That was pretty bad. Can't believe it's by Madhouse.
Jan 12, 2014 2:23 AM

Aug 2012
Quite average animation. Probably limited budget?
Jan 12, 2014 5:52 AM

Jan 2008
That was quite a bad first impression...So many random clusterfucks coming out of nowhere so quickly. -_-'

Animation quality is "less than the average" for a 2014 anime and some of its randomness actually made me laugh. Action-wise : not bad. Still, I'm guessing this is going to be a rather mediocre anime overall by the looks of it...but I'll give it a few more episodes and see how it goes. The ED was pretty good though.
"You want to live, don't you...? So live! As long as you're alive, live!" ~ Takeshi Kuranari
Jan 12, 2014 6:17 AM

Dec 2011
Looks like a thoroughly enjoyable series. I could really get into this one.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 12, 2014 6:24 AM

Oct 2012
Logic is really flawed with this one but I guess I will give it another ep just to see how things works out.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Sensou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2014

115 by PedroKarim64 »»
May 26, 2023 12:41 AM

Poll: » Mahou Sensou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

367 by Overcast93 »»
Aug 5, 2022 7:50 PM

Poll: » Who would you prefer to see with Takeshi?

ClawViper - Feb 15, 2014

43 by Foreall908 »»
Jul 4, 2022 10:08 AM

Poll: » Second Season ( 1 2 3 )

DrFluffyUnicorn - Mar 27, 2014

105 by Elzohry »»
May 16, 2022 3:21 PM

» Who does takashi nanase end up with ..

llansam - Jul 2, 2020

1 by AnOnYmOuS__101 »»
Dec 18, 2021 10:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.