Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Log Horizon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 8, 2014 3:01 PM

Mar 2013
Barion-Zara said:
Awesome episode.

Loved the back story setting of the Elder tale world.

How the Apocalypse is actually something written in the history of the game and how 20 yrs = 240 yrs which was the second world fraction was really interesting as well.

The thing about Alvs and Demi-humans...etc was really awesome. Lol'd at Shiro being a Half Alv which means in the game setting he'd probably be a slaves son XD

Lol'd so much at Akatsuki's reaction to Shiroe being an Archmage and being active for 98 yrs hahahaha. Her face was really cute <3

Found the Psyche and Anima and what happens after death intriguing too. Really awesome writing there.

The ending was nice. Good to see that Rudy isn't just some snob and he actually spends some effort. Can't bring myself to dislike him. Some vibes between him and Isuzu there. And I actually found them to be a good couple <3 Minori is finally gonna say what's in mind.

I wonder if all this memory loss explanation is a foreshadowing for what will happen to Rudy when he dies in this dungeon??? (Not a spoiler since it's in the OP and flags are rising so it's obvious)...Well I'm interested. Can't wait to see what happens nxt.

When he said "slave" he most likely meant slave in a sexual way. Since Alves were highly attuned to magic, their breeding stock would be of higher importance to other races. This explains why half alves would be abundant. Other races were just trying to increase their magical attunement.

Also I don't see this lore's Alves as being a people meant for or good at physical labor.
Jan 8, 2014 5:03 PM

Jul 2012
aLooser said:
When he said "slave" he most likely meant slave in a sexual way. Since Alves were highly attuned to magic, their breeding stock would be of higher importance to other races. This explains why half alves would be abundant. Other races were just trying to increase their magical attunement.

Also I don't see this lore's Alves as being a people meant for or good at physical labor.

That's actually quite interesting. Not to mention quite fitting for the source material though the novels don't particularly go into detail regarding the Alv slavery thing. Brigandia was doing it in Susukino though so I guess it's not that far off. NHK didn't really touch these themes very much in the adaptation being family friendly and all.
Jan 8, 2014 5:34 PM
Jul 2012
First post I've done for this series since I am just finishing a little marathon over the last few days.

I'll be honest when I say I love this kind of thing. It's largely just a bunch of info dump, but it was interesting info dump. What I thought was interesting though was that Regan kept doing his demonstrations using commands and game terms, which I can't recall seeing out of any of the Landers before.

The World Fraction spell has a lot of interesting questions behind it and what it means for all the Adventurers. For one, the history surrounding the first use of it seemed completely new to Shiroe, which leads me to think that this backstory was not present to the players in any form when they played the game. This appears to reinforce the notion that we're looking at an alternate universe kind of thing.

The sheer coincidence involving the second use and the start of the Elder Tale game is very curious though. Did the spell somehow influence the other world to create the game so that Adventurers could appear?

The third use is the most mysterious since I didn't see any explanation for what caused it. Could the expansion have triggered it or some other force like the Demi-Humans perhaps?

The time difference I quite liked along with the fact that Shiroe is considered somewhat legendary given how long he's been active to them. I'm somewhat curious as to who else of the main cast might have such a history.

The memories thing is actually rather disturbing in the wide implications, though I do hope that Shiroe shares it with the Round Table relatively soon. Getting people to be more cautious might save a lot of trouble down the line.

Thank goodness Minori's finally saying something. It's been driving me nuts watching her go to say something to finally get everyone working in an actual form of coordination and then chickening out.

So going from the color of his status bar and the way his class is shown, he appears to be a Lander pretending or aspiring to be an Adventurer, which of course means he's in a lot more immediate danger than anyone else. It also explains his mannerisms and lack of knowledge a lot more as well.
Jan 8, 2014 6:56 PM
Jun 2013
Personally I thought it was a kind of meh episode.
Jan 8, 2014 7:22 PM

Feb 2013
my brain burst...
Jan 10, 2014 4:58 AM

Apr 2011
I'm really liking this so far. Possibly the dark horse of the season.
Jan 11, 2014 7:35 AM
Jul 2013
I liked how they explained things.

Gay:
http://i44.tinypic.com/14e80w6.jpg
Jan 11, 2014 7:59 AM

Oct 2013
Lol Rudy
Jan 12, 2014 1:02 AM

Jun 2012
Damn, rather than dying they lose they're memories... gotta say that would be much worse than actually dying, in my opinion. I'm assuming it's a gradual thing, losing a little bit of memories each timethey die, which would explain why no one's noticed anything. Likes others already mentioned, I'm really curious whether or not that's related to the scene in the opening.

Blackbird said:
Well it seem Minori group has losing a bit of they memory since they all forgot he already told them to call him Rudy.
It's really creepy to think of losing memory.
Wait, what? I don't remember that at all... unless I missed something, he only just met them a few episodes ago which I just watched 11-14 all at once, and I don't recall him saying that. Unless you meant to say that he just said it and Minori seemed to forget, in which case he only told Isuzu.
Jan 13, 2014 2:32 PM

Apr 2012
Marow said:
Still rocking the database :D
Great episode. But... what about "The Apocalypse"? What caused it?

I don't think we will find out any time soon.
Jan 18, 2014 12:46 AM

Aug 2013
They finally learn something (a little) about what happened to them. So they shouldn´t die, there fo,r they shouldn´t kill!! xD
Jan 30, 2014 10:33 PM

Sep 2008
This anime is a bit too interesting.
Jan 30, 2014 10:34 PM
Mar 2009
That's weird, the OP and ED should have changed by now, unless they're keeping it for the whole 25 episodes. Not that I have any problem with that.

HOLY SHIT. This was a fucking fantastic episode. INFO DUMP and it's pretty freaking interesting to hear how a game plays out from a NPC's point of view. The adventurers one day appearing, the monsters never dying, lore behind HP & MP, and even theories on how the adventurers are respawning? This is like everything I expect from an anime/novel about a MMO game.

Dat DERISHISS from Rudy.

Good, Minori finally spoke up, would have been annoying as hell to delay their growth any further.
Feb 11, 2014 3:45 PM

Jun 2008
Wow Finally getting info on the big plot. If they lose a part of their memories then the people in other towns that still do pk all the time would have completely forgotten about the real world. Hell they may not even know who the hell they are.

Robbini said:
Blackbird said:
Losing memory huh, that's they death penalty.
Well it seem Minori group has losing a bit of they memory since they all forgot he already told them to call him Rudy.
It's really creepy to think of losing memory.

Well, if they died they would go back to Akibahara, and we haven't seen any retrievals from there yet, so i don't think they've died yet, but i'm not fully sure.

They did die once, it was shown. They died by PK players before that guy from that guilt that abused them found them.
MonadFeb 11, 2014 4:02 PM
Feb 12, 2014 11:49 PM

Oct 2013
man they just need to fuckin balls up and fucken. fuark. sort their party shit out
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 13, 2014 12:08 AM
Jul 2010
Bheaze said:
man they just need to fuckin balls up and fucken. fuark. sort their party shit out

What a beautiful use of the English language. Your post truly exemplifies the quality of education, culture and refinement for which MAL users are known.
Feb 15, 2014 8:13 PM
Aug 2012
NFH said:
Bheaze said:

What a beautiful use of the English language. Your post truly exemplifies the quality of education, culture and refinement for which MAL users are known.

uhh.... okay...

anyway. rudy x isuzu <3
JessintimeFeb 15, 2014 8:47 PM
Feb 20, 2014 1:44 PM

Jan 2011
The magician said that the first world fraction was 300 years ago. This would mean the game is at least 25 years old. The beta start screen they've shown seems to imply it happened in 1998, which probably coincides with the time adventures appeared (even if he meant the release, that was most likely in 1998 or early 1999, too).

So they had 3-4 years of development with the NPs and monsters etc. in place., but no players? What about the time before they introduced monsters? What about the alpha testers, and the developers themselves?

The 20+ years of history also make it unlikely that a world fraction is happening *every* time they introduce a big update, especially as this was supposedely "only" an expansion. There were probably a dozen expansions, it might even have had an engine upgrade or two etc. And this time it's obviously different anyways, with players being sucked in.
Feb 20, 2014 8:12 PM

Aug 2013
Lots of back-story here, finally get to learn stuff about the world they are stuck in.
My Candies:
Feb 25, 2014 5:39 PM

Aug 2013
Shiiiit, that game is supposed to be 20 years old? Dayuuuum.

So Regan explained a lot the game background and how the adventurer appeared.

I wonder what happened the third time someone used the world class magic.

Glad to see that Minori is finally getting her shit together.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 23, 2014 2:20 PM

Jun 2011
That world building is fantastic, loved that, but I am not sure about the info dump, all at once seems a little excessive, still brilliant history. Minori finally gained some balls, took her long enough.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 30, 2014 12:11 PM

May 2012
Dat backstory of the game was rather interesting, I wonder what will happen next though!
Apr 1, 2014 9:51 AM

May 2013
Lol. Dat akatsuki reaction about shiroe's age. So the first and second world fraction is explained what about the 3rd?
If you want everything you'll end up with nothing.
Apr 7, 2014 3:20 PM

Dec 2010
You mean there's actually some danger for the players? This would make it easier for me to like this anime. If they all eventually forget about the Old World they'll become the perfect game characters. Scary, in a way, isn't it.

I actually feel like watching the next episode immediately. The abundance of information was so well received by me!
MeritasApr 7, 2014 3:43 PM
Apr 7, 2014 8:39 PM
Nov 2013
Eijikita_Rukaede said:
Lol. Dat akatsuki reaction about shiroe's age. So the first and second world fraction is explained what about the 3rd?

3rd world fraction = players got transport into the game.

before 3rd world fraction Adventurer are just game character, they are like robot to PoL.
Apr 19, 2014 5:19 PM

Apr 2014
Now this just got real!
I really love lore & this anime just keeps delivering everything I could ever want in an MMO.
Akatsuki so rofl at her reactions & Shiroe the archmage who doesn't know any spells IRL & is 98 yrs old. ROFL!
Jun 9, 2014 3:00 AM

Jan 2013
I like the whole world setting.
Jul 3, 2014 12:51 AM
May 2012
The dude sure knows a lot of stuff....
Woah, Shiroe has been playing Elder Tale for like 8 years :O

Rachmaninow said:

Edit: the 'Rudy' bit you guys above my post mentioned seems like an interesting idea, but the memory loss only applies if they've died in game. Which they didn't. Otherwise they would've resurrected at the Cathedral (iirc, none of the group members know any resurrection spells so it's safe to assume none of them died either). Maybe it's just that they weren't ready to address him in such a friendly manner yet. Personally, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Exactly, though I am pretty sure that something will happen to Rudy boy!!
Jul 6, 2014 2:39 PM

Oct 2010
The game was released in 1998 and it's still going? It's got my respect.
Jul 26, 2014 10:30 AM

Jul 2014
Wow. The world building is just...amazing. This is the first piece I have read/seen from Mamare Touno and I am very impressed. The only downside in these past couple episodes is the Minori and company part. In my opinion it's very boring and I would have preferred more time being spent on Shiroe and company.
Jul 27, 2014 2:32 AM

Jun 2009
Overkill on the info dump. Good god.
Aug 14, 2014 3:23 AM
Mar 2014
Nice to get some background on the lore from the game. Good to see Rundel putting some effort in as well and not just thinking he's amazing :P
Aug 23, 2014 10:51 PM

Oct 2013
Good episode,lot's of thing were explained so well.

Oct 4, 2014 5:59 AM

Jun 2014
So if you die over and over again, you pretty much gradually lose your memory of the real world overtime and think that you're one with the game.

Dude, that sounds fucking dark.
Oct 14, 2014 5:00 PM

Nov 2012
More backstory/worldbuild of Elder Tale.

Consequences of dying finally revealed.

After died too much to the point in which you've already lose all your memories it's safe to assume you become one of the People of the Land.

Seems Rudy might be the first to go.
Nov 1, 2014 11:38 AM

May 2013
There are different classes for magic and Regan introduces a World-Class Magic spell called World Fraction.
Interesting how that spell caused the appearance of demi-humans, adventurers, and the Apocalypse.
Also like how there's Psyche and Anima. And how they lose memory whenever they die.

Hmm, Rudy is definitely a Lander, based on everyone's theories.
We'll just wait for the confirmation.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jan 30, 2015 5:57 PM

Nov 2014
Super informative episode that I really enjoyed.

So losing memory is the consequence of dying many times, that's interesting and scary O_O
Mar 3, 2015 11:27 PM

Aug 2013
Owh now they tell us the penalty lol.
Minori-chan gambatte ! XD
Jun 20, 2015 8:04 AM

Sep 2014
Very informative episode, hopefully they won't lose their memories and forget about the real world.
Didn't think Rudy would be a Lander o.O
Minori finally decides to step up.
I like where this is going.
Sep 21, 2015 12:28 AM

Feb 2013
Well this episode was quite the info dump lol. We learned what it was that actually caused them to be sucked into this alternate reality and a lot of history about it too. So apparently it was just some super spell and its been used 2 times before. The first time it created monsters, and the second time is when adventurers were summoned into the world.

So does that mean 20 years ago during the Beta people were sucked in and trapped there just like now? If so are any of these older adventurers still around? Maybe this lake guy is one of them, which would explain how hes so powerful and knows so much.

Also it seems there is actually a penalty to them dying, which isn't a surprise honestly. I guess losing ones memory can be a pretty bad thing, especially if you keep losing more and more each time you die. Maybe that's what happened to the people who got sucked in 20 years ago, they died so many times they eventually forgot about the real world and who they were...

Ugh, this is getting both really interesting and confusing at the same time lol.
Oct 16, 2015 11:54 PM

Jul 2008
Well now, I wonder if that's an even worse fate than actual death.
Oct 26, 2015 1:37 PM

Oct 2010
This anime... it's too good for it's own good XD
Very well thought out background and now dying makes them forget pieces of their memories? Interestin indeed.
Nov 2, 2015 9:50 AM

Jan 2012
Things are getting interesting again.

Dec 26, 2015 4:30 PM

Oct 2013
Interesting background info this episode.
I'm quite eager to learn about the character's 'true' selves - from the real world. We saw a flashback of Minori at one point with her brother in a wheelchair - I want to learn more!
Jan 2, 2016 8:01 PM

Apr 2009
A lot of new information to take in this episode but I really enjoyed it. The in depth backstory, the scales of magic, the way of tying the game's mechanics into the history and lore of the world. Very well written and fascinating stuff!

It's made even more intriguing by the fact this sage knows of Shiroe, but Shiroe who has been playing for nearly a decade didn't know anything about some of this ancient backstory. Hmmm...

Plenty of people have died so you'd think there'd be some memory loss, but I won't complain if there's finally a consequence for our immortal players.
Oct 12, 2016 4:34 AM

Jan 2013
A ton of new information but really interesting actually.
Minori finally speaking up ... took her a while.

So Shiroe has already been playing the game for 8 out of the 20years the game has been out.
He's done a pretty good job at being as well known as he is right now dpesite starting that late.

So eventually they'll forget they're in a "fantasy game" and live as true adventurers I guess?- Interesting.
Oct 12, 2017 2:32 AM

Sep 2012
DannOfThuresday said:
First post I've done for this series since I am just finishing a little marathon over the last few days.

I'll be honest when I say I love this kind of thing. It's largely just a bunch of info dump, but it was interesting info dump. What I thought was interesting though was that Regan kept doing his demonstrations using commands and game terms, which I can't recall seeing out of any of the Landers before.

The World Fraction spell has a lot of interesting questions behind it and what it means for all the Adventurers. For one, the history surrounding the first use of it seemed completely new to Shiroe, which leads me to think that this backstory was not present to the players in any form when they played the game. This appears to reinforce the notion that we're looking at an alternate universe kind of thing.

The sheer coincidence involving the second use and the start of the Elder Tale game is very curious though. Did the spell somehow influence the other world to create the game so that Adventurers could appear?

The third use is the most mysterious since I didn't see any explanation for what caused it. Could the expansion have triggered it or some other force like the Demi-Humans perhaps?

The time difference I quite liked along with the fact that Shiroe is considered somewhat legendary given how long he's been active to them. I'm somewhat curious as to who else of the main cast might have such a history.

The memories thing is actually rather disturbing in the wide implications, though I do hope that Shiroe shares it with the Round Table relatively soon. Getting people to be more cautious might save a lot of trouble down the line.

Thank goodness Minori's finally saying something. It's been driving me nuts watching her go to say something to finally get everyone working in an actual form of coordination and then chickening out.

So going from the color of his status bar and the way his class is shown, he appears to be a Lander pretending or aspiring to be an Adventurer, which of course means he's in a lot more immediate danger than anyone else. It also explains his mannerisms and lack of knowledge a lot more as well.

i think its a case of human world effecting some other world, its like ALT universe & when they made a game they changed some world in ALT universe with that game without knowing it, that would be insane plot if my theory is right

like that world friction spell sucked this game in their world & made it in to their reality (or sucked them players in to that world, kind of like Digmon world, that there exist a virtual dimension/universe in the internet world) & then ppl started to play it without knowing this NPC are real ppl until the day they were stuck in the game & learned it

so it meas this world they are in was real world that existed before the game was made (ALT world where magic exists) & game got added to that world like games expansion cause of the W Friction spell
Sugram22Jan 14, 2018 7:22 AM
Feb 16, 2018 12:52 AM
Dec 2017
if they forget about real world what happen then ???
Apr 6, 2018 7:08 AM

May 2016
This really piqued my interest I can't wait to know more about this world.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2013

268 by MFM32 »»
Mar 3, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2013

229 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 31, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2013

209 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 10:35 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

183 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 9:05 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2013

265 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 8:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.