Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Log Horizon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Nov 27, 2013 11:51 AM

Jan 2011
So I don't play a lot of MMORPGs and the likes, but the thorn bind spell that Shiroe casted lasts longer or about as long as the cool down of 15 seconds? Which means he can almost instantly cast it again after the cool down, even if they don't decide to destroy all 5 thorns before the 1 second mark but say 2 seconds which leaves an actual cool down of 1 second.

Sustainable which might as well be a permanent movement crowd control that also significantly amplifies damage to a target? Seems kinda overpowered to me.
Nov 27, 2013 4:05 PM
Nov 2013
Falads said:

Sustainable which might as well be a permanent movement crowd control that also significantly amplifies damage to a target? Seems kinda overpowered to me.

One thing you will get used to is that there are many things in Log Horizon that are overpowered/broken.
Nov 27, 2013 5:23 PM

Jul 2011
Thorn Bind Hostage has no root effect, that's from Astral Bind, the anime just skipped over that casting of it. Also recasting TBH if all 5 thorns aren't broken would just refresh it to 5 thorns.

It only seems overpowered because Shiroe has it at maxed level, which is hard to do:
http://lh.oksub.me/wiki/Skills#Technique_growth
Nov 27, 2013 6:52 PM
Nov 2013
I think it seems overpowered because of the possibility to do 10k damage just from T.B.H. (regardless of how "hard" it may be to do). Especially when most players would die from that alone.
Nov 28, 2013 11:20 AM

Jul 2011
590292009 said:
I think it seems overpowered because of the possibility to do 10k damage just from T.B.H. (regardless of how "hard" it may be to do). Especially when most players would die from that alone.

And burst Assassins can deal more than 10k from one combo. I don't see your point.
Dec 7, 2013 10:10 PM
Sep 2012
Akatsuki and serara is <3
Dec 8, 2013 4:09 AM
Mar 2013
glasses fidget count: 8

total so far: 28
Dec 8, 2013 8:29 PM

Jul 2008
I'm enjoying this thus far, the adventure aspect is fun, the world is interesting and I love the characters. Plus, as someone who plays MMORPGs, it's really nostalgic and fresh to watch. But I think the animation is letting it down somewhat. Besides the inclusion of MMO mechanics, the battles are quite frankly a bore. I don't know about the state of the studio, but it's nearly 2014, and this anime looks like it could have been made in 2006. The animation is, at times, very stiff and the action lacks fluidity; it's like they're squeezing out a 25-episode series on a decent 13-episode budget, or perhaps that's just me watching too much Yozakura Quartet. But if Log Horizon and YQ did share the same animation standards, it would be phenomenal. I can dream.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Dec 8, 2013 8:46 PM

Jul 2011
Touka said:
I'm enjoying this thus far, the adventure aspect is fun, the world is interesting and I love the characters. Plus, as someone who plays MMORPGs, it's really nostalgic and fresh to watch. But I think the animation is letting it down somewhat. Besides the inclusion of MMO mechanics, the battles are quite frankly a bore. I don't know about the state of the studio, but it's nearly 2014, and this anime looks like it could have been made in 2006. The animation is, at times, very stiff and the action lacks fluidity; it's like they're squeezing out a 25-episode series on a decent 13-episode budget, or perhaps that's just me watching too much Yozakura Quartet. But if Log Horizon and YQ did share the same animation standards, it would be phenomenal. I can dream.

It airs on NKH-E, in the middle of the day, if you saw the show that airs before this, you'd understand.
Dec 12, 2013 1:47 AM

Oct 2012
Lol Nyanta
Ofc Akatsuki is a perfect assassin (she assassinate everyone like a shadow)
Naotsugu too, guardian never.. complain, in short he's a good listener xD

I don't mind with an OP main class
But the important thing Shiroe isn't OP
He couldn't do that without everyone (a team)

For everyone : Don't talk about game logic in here xD
More importantly you had this
Reset cooldown : Refresher orb
Twice or more cast in one cast : Multi cast
What are you want to ask now? xD

Falads said:
So I don't play a lot of MMORPGs and the likes, but the thorn bind spell that Shiroe casted lasts longer or about as long as the cool down of 15 seconds? Which means he can almost instantly cast it again after the cool down, even if they don't decide to destroy all 5 thorns before the 1 second mark but say 2 seconds which leaves an actual cool down of 1 second.

Stackable spells never an OP spell.. I think it's a difficult spell
They need strategy to cast that a few times on one person (especially if it's a visible spell)
"Signature removed"
Dec 27, 2013 3:31 AM

Sep 2013
Those were some of the shittiest healers I've ever seen. Demikas may have been reduced to one health in a matter of a single second, but they had quite a bit of time inbetween that and their deaths. Seriously- did they need to be told what to do by the DPS? That's their only job!

Regardless, Akatsuki has some godly burst. With CDs and autoattack speed in mind, it's a bit ridiculous to be able to burst down five people in a single go. A single target, sure, but multitarget burst is certainly not the assassin's role.
Jan 6, 2014 12:06 PM

Jun 2009
This feels more solid as a mmo anime sao is dope but fell off near the end.
Jan 7, 2014 5:47 PM

Oct 2013
joshua_mai said:
Here is the explanation from animesuki
Some may be confused at what happened, so I'll clarify -

Shiroe's Thorn Bind Hostage is a debuff that puts up to five thorns on the enemy, which bursts and deals 1000 dmg when an ally hits.
This spell has a cooldown time of 15 seconds.
Nyanta's attack skill is a 10 hit combo, 5 from each sword.

First Shiroe casts the T.B.H on Demikuas.
Nyanta stops attacking Demikuas, as not to activate the thron. (This is important, you don't want their healers from undoing the damage)

When Shiroe's cooldown is ready, Nyanta performs the 10 hit combo attack.
Shiroe times a recast of another T.B.H on Demikuas to finish casting exactly between Nyanta's 5th and 6th hit. (So when one of his sword finishes the 5 hits)

Nyanta's first 5 hits deals damage to Demikuas, as well as activates the first set of T.B.H
The second T.B.H lands on Demikuas just split second before Nyanta's final 5 hit lands.

10000 damage from T.B.H, + 10 combo attack from Nyanta's skill = instant death.

This way the burst damage is so fast, the healers have no chance to respond.

This isn't as easy as it may sound, you have to know the casting time and acting time of each skill, and time the activation to perfectly match your partner's.
Basically you have to make a synchronized move within 0.1 second of margin of error.

Good explanation
Jan 24, 2014 6:18 PM

Sep 2012
uugh serena chan is so cute, the voice actress for her is just tooo kawaaii,

epic battle btw
Feb 3, 2014 8:49 PM
Aug 2012
shiroe looks so evil sometimes. probably gonna be a villain or something like that.

But man, still not impressed by this anime. I'd rather just watch Serara for 22 minutes lol
Feb 11, 2014 2:53 AM

Oct 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Akatsuki <33

dat teamwork. uhhhn
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 12, 2014 12:17 PM
Sep 2013
Lot of action and quite fine battle in the end and a little bit of humour around. That's what I love :D but "nya" was annoying T_T
Feb 17, 2014 1:31 PM

Jan 2011
How they defeated Demikas was thoroughly discussed, but what was the point of having Serara cast heal on everyone (did that include the enemies?). And especially the guardian, if he's just going to make himself invulnerable till the end of the fight..

Just to reassure their enemies? Didn't seem like they needed that, they were pretty confident.

Also, the other guys were really stupid. Assuming they were around level 90, too. The tank did use his invul skill, that was on cool down for 10 minutes. The assassin already revealed herself, so no further sneak attacks (unless she can use Hide in Plain Sight etc.). The cat, their actual DPS, was pretty low. And the enchanter is not of much use if he's directly attacked. They could easily have defeated Shiroe and his friends. Well, i guess Shiroe would have pulled another stunt, they had the power of plot (which also made the enemie casters, especially Londark, just stand and watch even when Shiroe started to cast..), but in a "real" fight, they would be dead.
Feb 17, 2014 5:42 PM

Jul 2012
NwAurion said:
How they defeated Demikas was thoroughly discussed, but what was the point of having Serara cast heal on everyone (did that include the enemies?). And especially the guardian, if he's just going to make himself invulnerable till the end of the fight..

Just to reassure their enemies? Didn't seem like they needed that, they were pretty confident.

Also, the other guys were really stupid. Assuming they were around level 90, too. The tank did use his invul skill, that was on cool down for 10 minutes. The assassin already revealed herself, so no further sneak attacks (unless she can use Hide in Plain Sight etc.). The cat, their actual DPS, was pretty low. And the enchanter is not of much use if he's directly attacked. They could easily have defeated Shiroe and his friends. Well, i guess Shiroe would have pulled another stunt, they had the power of plot (which also made the enemie casters, especially Londark, just stand and watch even when Shiroe started to cast..), but in a "real" fight, they would be dead.

Novel version of the fight:

Credits to the translators and baka-tsuki.

As you can see here Naotsugu needed to keep the other adventurers off Nyanta so he used Anchor Howl. When he was about to be killed he used Caste of Stone to gain additional time for the combo to be effectively set up. Seraras Heartbeat Healing did not include the enemies. It was a party-wide spell and Healing Wind is a single target spell. After Castle of Stone lost it's effect and was on cool down the heals provided him additional breathing room for tanking until the combo was set up.

And the other Brigandia members not attacking them despite the overwhelming advantage was chalked up to psychological damage and Shiroe cutting off Londarks head (w/c was sadly censored by NHK along w/ most of the gore).
swordstriker21Feb 17, 2014 5:58 PM
Feb 19, 2014 7:09 AM

Aug 2013
NYA NYA NYA. lol
My Candies:
Feb 23, 2014 10:23 AM

Aug 2013
That cat man is so great.

From the episode title, I thought that they would somehow flee, but it seem like they owned them.

Serara was pretty much useless, also having a maid class... :P

Akatsuki seem to have difficulty to work/coordinate with other people, since she was a lonely assassin. I guess Shiroe will help her to get along in a group.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 9, 2014 4:13 AM

Sep 2012
I don't know. I sort of like this anime. But it is like an Over Powered version of SAO, and with the fact the only penelty to dying to be sent somewhere?

Also no teleporting is not a problem either cause they have that transportation available.

I do like some of the characters although that glasses cliche is getting on my nerves. He must have had adjusted them like 10+ times. How bout mr smart guy get some straps or something?

This anime is a bit cliche in a way compared to SAO too. I only liked SAO so much but I like certain things from each animes in a way but there doesn't seem to be much threat to the overpowered characters. The one the got the final hit should have leveled a TON. But they did not bother to show it.
Mar 30, 2014 7:23 AM

May 2012
Pretty lovely action quite digging that Neko-man as well :p Pretty sweet episode in general!
Mar 31, 2014 9:14 AM

Jul 2013
Another episode showing how strategic Shinroe is, cool beans.
Apr 1, 2014 8:22 AM

May 2013
I like nyanta, shiroe and naotsugu coordination. They're trusting each other. Nyanta is a badass taking all those hits while smiling.
If you want everything you'll end up with nothing.
Apr 2, 2014 3:35 AM

Dec 2010
The first somewhat entertaining episode.
Apr 16, 2014 5:55 PM

Apr 2014
I love Nyanta.
He is too awesome & an even more hardcore roleplayer than Akatsuki(Getting Shiroe to check him for fleas! Lol!)!
Jun 27, 2014 11:41 PM
May 2012
Freaking NOOBS ahahaha. They got pwned by the awesome Shiroe team!!
Serara is kawaii sugiru *^*
NYA NYA MOTHAFUCKA!!
Jul 10, 2014 8:31 AM

Feb 2013
That was a great fight. I like the synchronization between Nyanta and Shiroe.
It is to be expected though. They were part of that legendary Tea Party after all.

I love how it remains consistent with its MMORPG setting by including game elements such as cooldowns and debuffs.

swordstriker21 said:
And the other Brigandia members not attacking them despite the overwhelming advantage was chalked up to psychological damage and Shiroe cutting off Londarks head (w/c was sadly censored by NHK along w/ most of the gore).

It sucks that they censored that part.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jul 26, 2014 4:01 AM

Jun 2009
I really liked this episode. I liked the proper explanation of mechanics, the explanation of classes and the combat. It actually felt like an MMORPG, unlike SAO. I think I'm going to like this more than SAO if they can keep building on the game's mechanics.
Aug 1, 2014 9:09 AM

Oct 2013
Tengai said:

NYA NYA MOTHAFUCKA!!
lol

Aug 11, 2014 1:49 AM
Mar 2014
I love how they were going to let him live, but he had to go and try and take down four level 90s with 1hp.

Then Serara got the killing blow - imagine all that XP!

Also really enjoyed the run down of the strategies and mechanics - was well thought out.
Sep 21, 2014 3:50 PM

Apr 2010
A shonen where people win through cleverly using their powers instead of shouting real hard? Impossible.
Oct 18, 2014 12:27 AM

May 2013
Hmm, how many classes have we seen?
There's Enchanter, Guardian, Assassin, Swashbuckler, Druid, Monk, Samurai, Sorcerer, and many more to complete the 12.

I still don't get why Demikas wants Serara so badly.
Too bad he's not the main villain. Which is actually a good thing.
Dem heals tho.

Nyanta and Shiroe have good teamwork.
But still, Griffons are here to save the day.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Nov 3, 2014 2:49 PM

Aug 2014
Fantastic Episode! Nyanta is so skillful with his two swords.
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Nov 25, 2014 2:17 AM

Jul 2012
I'm liking how they're keeping this MMORPG oriented so far. I find it annoying how most of these types of stories start to introduce life or death-elements or other hijinks to a game.

They totally could have avoided that fight though, just summon those griffons and get the heck out of there. Was a decent fight, anyway.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Dec 19, 2014 1:32 AM
Mar 2014
I'm starting to like the cat guy and on top of that, the explanation of how they pulled of this (more or less) instant death of the villain was much appreciated as well. Pretty good.
Mar 3, 2015 7:23 AM

Aug 2013
Dual sword wielding cat.. not bad.
Akatsuki is jealous hehehe.
Mar 29, 2015 6:36 PM

Jun 2014
Good episode. I can actually look forward to battle scenes in this series.
May 2, 2015 10:57 AM

Feb 2015
oh man this show makes me miss my gaming days. I kind of want to break out the mmos again.
May 29, 2015 6:33 AM

Sep 2014
Starting to like Nyanta already (*≧▽≦)
Nice teamwork there, fight was pretty good. Really like how they explain the strategies, skills, combos.

Serara so cute and that voice hnngggg <3, liked how she dealt the killing blow ^^
And then the gryphons.... guess they wanted to show off a bit instead of using them from the beginning xD
Akatsuki at the end <33
Another great episode.
Sep 19, 2015 11:41 AM

Feb 2013
Eh, I really hope Serara isn't gonna be their new healer, we already have too many lolis in this party :/. The cat guy is pretty cool though, I wouldn't mind having him stick around.

The fight itself was pretty great though, I loved how even outnumbered and outgunned they still managed to beat Brigandia with superior strategy and skill. Oh, and I'm assuming a lot of those guild members weren't actually level 90 lol.

Also the fact that they even included stuff like cast times and cooldowns is pretty great lol.
Oct 6, 2015 3:34 PM

Jul 2008
That's one guild taken down a notch.
Nov 24, 2015 9:07 PM

May 2014
Cool fight, I totally remember chaining spells like that to give the impression of a burst of damage playing games.

Episode was fun, but there is no point to this is it? Just a bunch of kids having fun so far.
Dec 1, 2015 1:45 PM

Apr 2015
I think it'd have been one of my favorite anime, if Shiroe wasn't fixing fis glasses every 3 seconds...
Jan 1, 2016 5:11 PM

Apr 2009
If you know the enemy is going to jump you outside the city and no fighting is allowed inside the city... why not just summon the griffins?

Oh well, then there wouldn't have been a really entertaining fight. I echo other sentiments that I wish the animation had been more fluid, but I still thought the fight was great. Especially the contrast in attacks and fighting styles between the Cat and the PK leader. Shiroe is one of the rare characters where they tout his strategy and it actually is impressive and makes sense.

I finally found some of the show's humor funny. "Mr. Delicious."

I also like the genteel cat character, he will make an amusing addition to the cast.

Best episode yet.
Feb 22, 2016 7:59 AM

Nov 2015
Shiny battle but it didn't understand not even with the explanation xD

I call exploit!! jajaja

Ok, I read joshua_mai explanation. Now everything is clear, but still OP AF... too overpowered, and that sync necessary... oh well, it's a shonen.

The catman is awesome.
HumbertoZeroFeb 22, 2016 8:08 AM
Sep 11, 2016 1:15 PM
Mar 2016
puss in boots af, love that cat
Oct 10, 2016 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
I'm really loving the fights, the fact that they actually did some research on MMORPG's and what it involves regarding skills etc really stands it out :)

Serara taking down Demikas in the end with just a single hit :D - 1hp after all.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2013

268 by MFM32 »»
Mar 3, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2013

229 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 31, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2013

209 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 10:35 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

183 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 9:05 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2013

265 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 30, 8:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.