Forum Settings
Forums

What is going to be the next 'attack on titan' and 'sword art online?

New
Oct 24, 2013 3:19 PM

Jan 2013
Just wondering what the next big anime to appear will be. Any ideas anyone?
what do we want 'MORE MIKU NENDORIODS' when do we want them 'NOW'
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 24, 2013 3:22 PM
Mar 2013
We'll see in 2014. There's always one hyped series a year.
Oct 24, 2013 3:24 PM

May 2013
If the pattern says anything, we'll see the next one near summer 2014.
Oct 24, 2013 3:34 PM

Jul 2013
Didn't we already have such a thread? I think I'll quote StopDropandBowl's explanation here. Maybe he can do it himself.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 24, 2013 3:36 PM

Jan 2013
Inferno Cop 2.
Oct 24, 2013 3:46 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
It's really based on what catches on, both in Japan and the US.
Oct 24, 2013 4:51 PM

Nov 2012
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

This and SAO are 2 highest selling LNs in Japan. I'm not really interested in this novel (read 2 volumes, it was OK), but MADHOUSE is gonna do it so still looking forward to it.
Oct 24, 2013 4:59 PM

Jul 2013
Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!
Oct 24, 2013 5:24 PM

Aug 2012
Kill la kill i guess. Hopefully closer to SNKi (which i didn't see but people seem to love it without much hate) rather than SAO.
Oct 24, 2013 5:27 PM

Apr 2012
Stop with these fucking types of topics already.

You want an answer? The next big, shallow, overhyped shounen show will be the next Attack on Titan or Sword Art Online.

Stop making these fucking types of topics.

Dec 2012
Casting my vote right now - Sakura Trick. http://myanimelist.net/anime/20047/Sakura_Trick

Jun 2008
I have no clue. We'll just have to wait and see.
Oct 24, 2013 5:33 PM

Oct 2012
anything that will appeal to a lot of people at once
RRRRRRRRRR
Oct 24, 2013 5:36 PM

May 2013
Not Kill la Kill.
Oct 24, 2013 5:51 PM

Aug 2012
Ask those time traveling reviewers.
Oct 24, 2013 5:52 PM

Jun 2012
ph4zoN said:
Not Kill la Kill.

This.
Whatever it is, hopefully it doesn't completely go to shit like SAO.
Oct 24, 2013 5:54 PM

Jun 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
Casting my vote right now - Sakura Trick. http://myanimelist.net/anime/20047/Sakura_Trick

Are you srs m8?
There arent a lot of yurifags out there.
Oct 24, 2013 5:56 PM

Mar 2012
Kuro_Kishi said:

This and SAO are 2 highest selling LNs in Japan. I'm not really interested in this novel (read 2 volumes, it was OK), but MADHOUSE is gonna do it so still looking forward to it.
I can tell you're right just by looking at the anime page, lol
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 24, 2013 5:58 PM

Dec 2012
beavis2323 said:
anything that will appeal to a lot of people at once

You don't say?
Oct 24, 2013 5:59 PM
Oct 2010
Araby said:
Kuro_Kishi said:

I can tell you're right just by looking at the anime page, lol

I did not like SAO but I found the manga for Rettousei pretty good. Don't know about the novel though.
Oct 24, 2013 6:05 PM

Mar 2012
I'll probably wait and see what other people think first, then consider checking it out.

"Tatsuya, a defective elder brother low achiever.
Miyuki, a perfect, flawless younger sister high achiever.
After both siblings entered a Magic High School,
The stage of daily turbulence was unveiled—."

> defective elder brother
> flawless imouto
> Magic High School

Actually, I'm kind of okay with a flawless imouto.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 24, 2013 6:15 PM

Dec 2012
Araby said:
I'll probably wait and see what other people think first, then consider checking it out.

"Tatsuya, a defective elder brother low achiever.
Miyuki, a perfect, flawless younger sister high achiever.
After both siblings entered a Magic High School,
The stage of daily turbulence was unveiled—."

> defective elder brother
> flawless imouto
> Magic High School

Actually, I'm kind of okay with a flawless imouto.

It's going to need an incest tag later on if it wants to compete with SAO.
Oct 24, 2013 6:20 PM

Apr 2013
I only hope Klk and space dandy will become half as good as ttgl and bebop
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Oct 24, 2013 6:22 PM

Jul 2013
MrAwesome2011 said:
Ask those time traveling reviewers.
or you can just wait.
Oct 24, 2013 7:41 PM
May 2012
hope terra formars' gonna be animated.... definitely gonna be as awesome as SnK....
Oct 24, 2013 7:44 PM
Jul 2013
They're the same anime? You what mate?
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Oct 24, 2013 8:07 PM

Jul 2013
BasedToki said:
They're the same anime? You what mate?

In terms of hype, yeah I'm afraid they are.

Other than that, they share few similarities.

StopDropandBowl says it best (I don't care for his actual opinion on SNK though):

First we have to ask what makes SnK, SnK?

I think it's a lot like the Game of Thrones tv series. You have this pretty popular fantasy series that gets an adaptation on the screen, and suddenly both the original and the adaptation explode in popularity and hype. Then people go back and say it's the greatest, most original thing ever without realizing that everything it's doing has been done, many times before. So why did GoT and SnK both explode, when in many ways they are neither original nor of the highest quality?

First what you need is a moderately-to-very popular original series with a very dedicated and very fanatical core fan-base (no insult to the fans, I am dedicated and fanatical about some things too). Then you need to make the adaptation at the right time. You have to hope that the fan-base is tech savvy and are willing to do the leg work in creating the ever elusive, but all-important, "word of mouth". It helps A LOT to have this original work still be uncompleted as it creates a feeling in both fans and newcomers that the world is a living one, with much more to come.

Concerning the story: you'll need something that appears, on the surface, to be different. Now this is where it gets tough, because it necessarily can't be too different or original. Part of what makes SnK and GoT work is that fans and newcomers can say:

"This isn't like those other [insert genre here]. This is [insert genre here] done right!"

The easiest and quickest way to achieve that is by putting on a thin facade of realism in a traditionally "unreal" genre. For GoT, it was including a lot of sexism (in the fictional society), violence, sexual content, and having a foul-mouthed dwarf be your "sympathetic character" (though as an aside, I don't find him to be sympathetic or entertaining at all). For SnK, it was having a lot of violence, a distinct lack of traditional female-male gender roles, cranking up the despair knob to 11, and having swords break.

Also, both stories took a very common complaint in their respective genre and dealt with it: character death. They both created an illusion of "no character is safe" by strategically placing character deaths in places you normally wouldn't find them. This invested fans in the idea that "this is no traditional [insert genre here]" and helps foster that word of mouth hype where the newcomer says: "well, I usually don't like [insert genre here], but everyone says that this show is different!"

Another important aspect is you need something to catch both fans and curious newcomers. For GoT, this was accomplished by phrases: "Winter is coming." "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die." and to a lesser degree, with images (the famous Sean Bean with his sword photo). One cannot ignore the value of the Tyrian character either (the aforementioned dwarf), as he was a huge rallying point for both fans and newcomers.

In SnK, it was fan art, iconic images, and fan-catch phrases. The Titan was an extremely catchy image. It was instantly identifiable and allowed for a lot of fan-made stuff (the pictures of people attacking their friend "Titan"). "Moves like Jaegar", and putting the SnK OP over other, unrelated videos were instrumental in creating an atmosphere that fostered hype about the show. People become more invested in things that they can participate in, so this kind of fan interraction is huge for building a hit like SnK or GoT.

The "Levi" factor can not be underestimated either. For the hard-core fans, he represented something that was exclusive to them in the beginning. So the newcomers could go to episode discussion, and they would hear: "Oh, you think this is good, just WAIT until Levi shows up!" That got people excited, and invested them in watching more. GoT achieved this, not by having a character, but by using a multiple level revelation system: (MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!!! WARNING!!!!
END OF MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!) In both cases, it was something the fans of the original series had that the newcomers didn't. And it created hype by giving the newcomers something to look forward to.

There are a lot more factors that go into this, but

Can we predict the next SnK before it happens? Most likely not, because so much depends on execution. We can definitely look for signs, and might be able to pin down a couple likely candidates; but if we could accurately predict that kind of thing then marketing departments wouldn't exist.

Note: There is a very subtle, but very important difference between the success and wild popularity of a show like SnK and a movie like Star Wars. Mainly: original work vs. adaptation. It's important to realize the difference and then you can disqualify some upcoming works from being "the next SnK". If Space Dandy, for example, became a runaway smash hit, it would still not be "the next SnK."
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 24, 2013 8:14 PM

Jan 2008
Can we get a tl;dr?
Oct 24, 2013 8:25 PM

Jun 2008
I kinda dislike SAO being compared to SnK....mostly because SAO is the epitome of disappointment and indiscriminate use of HAX.

Sure SnK was severely overhyped, but it was pretty consistent.
Oct 24, 2013 8:26 PM

Jul 2013
Paul said:
Can we get a tl;dr?

Mass appeal, fans to hype up the anime, something 'different', gimmicks and memes are the ingredients needed to concoct a super hype potion that will grant success.

Not mine though. I'm just copypasting here.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Oct 24, 2013 9:52 PM

May 2008
Maybe Vinland Saga if the anime is greenlit.
Oct 24, 2013 11:03 PM

Jan 2011
Psyche_Izaya said:
Maybe Vinland Saga if the anime is greenlit.

This, or a proper Berserk adaptation.

Oct 24, 2013 11:31 PM

Jun 2013
I don't know.
Oct 24, 2013 11:48 PM

Mar 2012
JoJo Part 3 so I can finally have a valid reason to kill myself.
Oct 24, 2013 11:50 PM

Jan 2009
Sailormoon or Space Dandy
Oct 25, 2013 12:26 AM
Oct 2010
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Well, Sunrise is planning something for Gundam's anniversary next year, I here.

Too many people "don't like mecha" for that to every reach the popularity of AoT or SAO. I mean arguably one of the best anime MSG:U has very low popularity here. Anyway Gundam: The Origin is being animated next year and that should help some people become interested in the UC storyline (I know the first MSG is a hard watch.. it has below par animation even for its time.

I'd say the FSN remake or Sailormoon remake. Both already have huge fanbases and FSN in particular has an extended fanbase via F/Z. Not to mention the amount of hype already behind it since Ufotable was also confirmed to be the animation studio. Sailormoon is a no brainer as well, people who aren't even into anime know about sailormoon so that says quite a bit.
GD1551Oct 25, 2013 3:16 PM
Oct 25, 2013 12:41 AM

Nov 2011
HalfMetalJacket said:
Shitty pasta

StopDropandBowl is obviously butthurt that his favorite fantasy series isnt as acclaimed as ASOIAF (which in itself overrated) and both of them are eclipsed by the greatness of With Fire and Sword/The Deluge/Pan Wolodyjowski. (The Trilogy)

:3
The Art of Eight
Oct 25, 2013 1:59 AM

Jul 2013
dankickyou said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
Shitty pasta

StopDropandBowl is obviously butthurt that his favorite fantasy series isnt as acclaimed as ASOIAF (which in itself overrated) and both of them are eclipsed by the greatness of With Fire and Sword/The Deluge/Pan Wolodyjowski. (The Trilogy)

Personal preferences aside, he still makes some points worth mentioning.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Oct 25, 2013 2:05 AM

Apr 2013
TOBAXXO said:
JoJo Part 3 so I can finally have a valid reason to kill myself.
SBR is better
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Oct 25, 2013 2:17 AM

Apr 2013
Kuro_Kishi said:

I was meh then I read Madhouse and now I'm hyped. When was this announced by the way?
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 25, 2013 3:05 AM

Nov 2012
geralt said:
Kuro_Kishi said:

I was meh then I read Madhouse and now I'm hyped. When was this announced by the way?

3 weeks ago or so
Oct 25, 2013 8:03 AM

Mar 2012
dankickyou said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
Shitty pasta

I actually like A Song of Ice and Fire, to some degree. I find it to be an interesting case study. The same thing with SNK. It is very interesting to study, though I don't find it to be particularly good or entertaining.

My own favorite fantasy series has sold faaaaaar more than ASOIAF (Wheel of Time), and my second favorite has sold faaaaaaar more and is faaaaaar more critically acclaimed (Lord of the Rings). I don't begrudge GoT its popularity, though I will never understand the appeal behind it. The writing is decent but the story is... meh. I have never even heard of the ones you mentioned so I don't know. Maybe I'll check those out, though I doubt that I'll enjoy them as much as either LotR or WoT.

Though my own personal opinions aside, the post about what made them successful as far as popularity goes is not based on opinion, but facts about the series. I don't see how my own personal opinion of them has any bearing on their validity. From a marketing standpoint, GoT and SnK were both awesome projects and I have nothing but respect for them on that level.
Let's go bowling.
Oct 25, 2013 8:12 AM

May 2013
JustALEX said:
I kinda dislike SAO being compared to SnK....mostly because SAO is the epitome of disappointment and indiscriminate use of HAX.

Sure SnK was severely overhyped, but it was pretty consistent.

I don't like them being compared either, but for the complete opposite reason. Why SnK got the hype it did, I have no idea.
Oct 25, 2013 8:15 AM

Nov 2012
my bet is on log horizon so far

kill la kill ecchi turned me off
Oct 25, 2013 8:29 AM

Apr 2013
it will not be kill la kill.

ttgl, klk etc have people that love these series but i would not say they have that much of a mass appeal.

for me these series are the platinum games equivalent of anime. over the top fun crazy. you either love it or hate it.

i love it but i see why it will not be that big if you look at the entire market
Oct 25, 2013 8:32 AM

Jan 2012
Space Dandy! Definitely my most anticipated show since Space Brothers. It's got the right people working on it, great art and animation, awesome looking characters. Now we just gotta find out who's gonna voice dandy...
Oct 25, 2013 8:35 AM

Jul 2008
SAO and SnK don't match and can't be compared based of their genre. But so far there isn't anything that I have seen that could match the potential of those two .
Oct 25, 2013 8:36 AM

Jan 2013
ZappaBappa said:
Space Dandy! Definitely my most anticipated show since Space Brothers. It's got the right people working on it, great art and animation, awesome looking characters. Now we just gotta find out who's gonna voice dandy...

Steve Blum. Anyone else is second rate.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Oct 25, 2013 8:44 AM

Nov 2011
StopDropAndBowl said:
dankickyou said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
Shitty pasta

I actually like A Song of Ice and Fire, to some degree. I find it to be an interesting case study. The same thing with SNK. It is very interesting to study, though I don't find it to be particularly good or entertaining.

My own favorite fantasy series has sold faaaaaar more than ASOIAF (Wheel of Time), and my second favorite has sold faaaaaaar more and is faaaaaar more critically acclaimed (Lord of the Rings). I don't begrudge GoT its popularity, though I will never understand the appeal behind it. The writing is decent but the story is... meh. I have never even heard of the ones you mentioned so I don't know. Maybe I'll check those out, though I doubt that I'll enjoy them as much as either LotR or WoT.

Though my own personal opinions aside, the post about what made them successful as far as popularity goes is not based on opinion, but facts about the series. I don't see how my own personal opinion of them has any bearing on their validity. From a marketing standpoint, GoT and SnK were both awesome projects and I have nothing but respect for them on that level.

It...was...a...joke. Hence the :3 (cept the Trilogy part)
The Art of Eight
Oct 25, 2013 8:52 AM

Jan 2012
MajinSaga said:
ZappaBappa said:

Steve Blum. Anyone else is second rate.

I'm not sure if Steve Blum would fit him. We already know him as the calm, badass that is spike. For the dub, i'd love to see someone like Liam O'Brien (Frisbee from Redline) Voice him. Frisbee's VA in the dub was fantastic. But the japanese voice actor of Spike would actually fit him... I think. If he sounded a bit more energetic. Or Keiji Fujiwara (Holland from Eureka seven) Would be great too...

Eh, for shits and giggles, lets just give the role to Sean Schemmel
CaptainMahoganyOct 25, 2013 8:57 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 24 seconds ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
24 seconds ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

56 by Pinoffin »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 2 hours ago

13 by APolygons2 »»
6 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
8 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

6 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.