Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 13, 2013 3:05 AM

Jan 2010
Somehow the 'hi hi' and 'ha ha' bits of the ED just bother the heck out of me. Without those I would really enjoy the song.
Oct 13, 2013 4:19 AM

Jul 2010
Way better than episode 1
Oct 13, 2013 6:54 AM

Jul 2011
This is so reminiscent of Ano Natsu especially with the ocean theme. I love the story and the setting but everything is a bit bland right now, hoping it'll start picking up momentum in the next few weeks.

AlexGK said:
Me thinks the show is underrated atm.

Agreed. it's getting overshadowed by more hyped shows in such a strong season :(
the irreplaceable one existed there~

Oct 13, 2013 8:48 AM
Oct 2012
As the oldest son of the shrine master, Hikari already knows that he has to stay in the village for the rest of his life, so unlike everyone else, going to the surface is not an option. He isn't stupid, he knows that his sister and most of the kids their age are leaving to the surface, a great deal of his bitterness is coming from his knowing that he couldn't live above the waves even in he wanted. That the town is now banishing people is going to make things worse for him, because at least he could have hoped to be visited, now he knows that when they go they are not coming back ever. This is why he was shocked hearing about it and not too happy even though we would think he would approve.

Think of this story as if the town was a rural village, everyone is moving away to the big city, but the eldest children in Japan have immense social pressure to stay at home and take care of the parents. This is something that is hard for Westerners with our tradition of leaving our parents to understand, but it Japan it just isn't done. For Hikari it is even more difficult because even though his father may understand, Hikari has a strong sense of responsibility (as seen with his friends) and this will cause him to stay regardless of what he may want. Having lived in such villages, I have a great deal of sympathy for those oldest children (usually sons, but daughters when there is no son), because the pressure on them is immense, particularly when, like Hikari, they have pretty good insight.

The next episode or two will be interesting to see. Hikari had already accepted Tsumugu as being a good guy, and I think he was almost accepting that Manaka and Tsumugu were going to get together, but now he knows that if Manaka does this she is gone forever. That will be an interesting dynamic that will have to be worked out. Chisaki also should be interesting, now that she has on her own thought about what will happen if Manaka were to leave. I don't think Chisaki is a bad person, but once one thinks of a thought, it becomes increasingly hard not to act on it. Poe called this the "Imp of the Perverse" and I think we will have to cut Chisaki some slack because those Imps are nasty.

I am looking forward to some drama here, but I hope it doesn't become too melodramatic. Just a personal preference there, but I think the story is fine as it is so that it can be told simply.
Oct 13, 2013 10:51 AM
Oct 2010
glitchhunter said:
parfaited said:
I can't hear the sound of your beautiful and majestic village over all of your SCREAMING.

I'd seriously watch an OVA of just their homes and panoramic shots of the sea.

glitchhunter said:
Why doesn't their school paper get wet and wrecked when they go in the water? Halp please.

lol same here, it'll bug me for the rest of this series.
I suppose they have special paper but what about the papers the teacher hands out?
Seems like too much of a hassle to make exclusive copies on special paper for the sea kids.
Now i'm thinking about meaningless things all thanks to you ahaha.

Haha, well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought about it :-P
Also they cook and eat hot pot underwater. Now, why doesn't the hot pot that they're eating get mixed with the sea water. I have difficulty watching this anime without thinking things like that -_-'

I have also stumbled into that rabbit hole.
In the beginning of the episode, there was a lamp and an alarm clock in the background, how do they work underwater...? There are other things that I also get stuck on, but I have to increase my suspension of belief since I like the setting so far and want to watch some more. :)
Oct 13, 2013 1:44 PM

Apr 2010
well, I'm not really into romance/slice of life animes.
but to be honest, i liked the art & the special story.
anyways, i laughed a lot at this part. lol
http://i.imgur.com/Oal3CVT.png?1
Oct 13, 2013 1:57 PM

Dec 2012
This is getting better and better, I'm so glad it has 26 episodes. I'm starting to like the silent guy a whole lot more, and certainly more than Hikari. I think Kaname deserves more screen time. Hikari and Manaka are starting to become the least likable of the cast. Those villagers are such dicks, why did they handle her like that..

I'm changing ships from Hikari x Chisaki to Kaname x Chisaki.
Oct 13, 2013 4:04 PM

Aug 2012
If Hikari keeps that attitude, he'll end up with nobody. And they're building up the drama so soon.
Oct 13, 2013 5:09 PM
May 2013
calling it right now, tsumugu isn't as perfect as everyone thinks he is. i actually believe he is up to something sinister - be it intentional or him being misled, much of his intent is being kept away from us for reasons we don't know. his interactions with his grandfather and hikari's sister are strange to me. i get a bad vibe from him.

the writers are also attempting to have the audience turn against hikari, even though he is going through a deep struggle that he isn't old enough to understand how to deal with yet, and he's acting out because of it.

manaka's helplessness leaves a lot to be desired out of a lead female character.. but i'll deal with it since the show is so beautiful. i do hope she grows at least a little bit throughout the show, though.
Oct 13, 2013 11:50 PM

Aug 2013
Glad I watched this first before Gingitsune. At least I have something to wash down all that drama.
I'm not sure how I feel about this show tbh. I'm incredibly annoyed with the main characters. I also feel like the conflict/drama is built up too soon but I still feel like I want to keep watching this >_<
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 14, 2013 5:30 AM

May 2010
Chisaki is so kind. And look likes even the supposedly dark horse i.e. Kaname has a loli girl for him xD Haha, Tsumugu's raising hand made the whole group raise their hand, love choice wise.

So Manaka will be banished if she wants to be with Tsumugu... He even made Chisaki cry... Damn it, I like Kaname x Chisaki afterall, but Hikari x Chisaki is equally good. You gotta love Chisaki, she remains selfless without feeling unreal. Another great episode, and guys this is clearly not NTR, unless it involves break ups, they are not even in a relationship so yeah, it's not NTR.

I really like the "hehe" sound in the ending song, hope it's just not me.
Oct 14, 2013 10:38 AM

Jan 2013
I don't like Manaka, she is very stupid -,-
Oct 14, 2013 7:07 PM

Mar 2013
2 episodes in and their are SO MANY conflicting feelings...how am I suppose to pick what couple am I going for now?!?!
If this keeps going on, I'm gonna have a really hard time watching this anime :P
Don't mistake me, this anime is great and all, but just different than I expected...
Oct 15, 2013 5:39 AM

Sep 2013
I really liked this episode, the first episode really annoyed me because Tsugumu was taking care of Manaka. Although I have grown to like Tsugumu, I'm still rooting for Hikari and Manaka. I really hope it goes with that root. :(
Oct 15, 2013 11:02 AM

Oct 2009
Why is everyone shipping Hikari x Chisaki..

Hikari is just as annoying as Manaka, that's why I think they totally match together. Tbh I could care less about what happens to those 2. Chisaki seems like a great female character and I'm surprised that no one else seems to ship her with Kaname? He might be less 'important' than Hikari, but the two of them are great friends as well. & He obviously has a thing for her. This guy seems a lot more mature and likeable so I really hope those 2 will end up together.
Oct 15, 2013 12:33 PM
Jul 2013
The animation in this series is amazing. On the episode, the story is getting better and better by the human-fish.
Oct 16, 2013 4:15 AM

May 2010
The show it's getting better but I still don't get why the surface and the ocean people dislike with each other, I mean it's not like one of them are "mutant" or something !!
Oct 16, 2013 8:45 AM

Jul 2010
I loled when Tsumugu copied Manaka's reaction when he asked about the fish on her knee.

This is a very promising anime! I hope this will progress well. The animation is superb.
Senjougahara: Don't call me "this chick"
Araragi: Then what should I call you?
Senjougahara: Senjougahara-sama.
Araragi: SEN - JOU - GA - HAA - RAA - SAA - MAA
Senjougahara: I don't like the way you say it. Say it properly.
Araragi: Senjougahara-chan~
Oct 16, 2013 10:23 AM

May 2011
I think I enjoyed this a bit more than the first episode, actually. Sure, Hikari slips right into the "annoying" tsundere category, but considering the fact that cuteness is usually the archetype's only redeeming quality, there probably isn't a way to make a male tsundere likeable. At least not to the male audience, that is.

But save for that one character, I am liking the rest a lot. Seiyuus are great, the OST is nice (I am really liking the OP and ED!), and the art is beautiful as well. I wasn't so convinced with the first episode, but if they build up thee drama even further, I think this will be a great watch. It definitely showed a lot of potential this time around! Can it last for 26 episodes though, I wonder?
Oct 18, 2013 12:26 AM

Aug 2012
I think it's getting a little better. The first episode definitely didn't leave a good first impression though.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Oct 18, 2013 1:03 AM

Jun 2011
kuuurt said:

WORST MC OF THE YEAR GOES TO...

HII-KUN.

Being a 2 cours show, I think this calls for character development. People here just can't see past the "Oh he's a jerk". In the end Hikari would most probably receives the most character development out of them all, and I am looking forward to that not if Manaka ever went with Tsumugu, gonna drop it by then

Typed ^ before I watch the episode.

This episode is really good, I like the drama too, and now I actually don't mind Manaka going with Tsumugu. Tsumugu doesn't sound too flirty (curious) like the first episode. I feel that Chisaki is near getting ntr-ed too lolol just joking.

Anyway I don't give much of a fuuck about Hikari x Manaka anymore, because I simply give up on Manaka. Hikari is just too good for her. I don't get why people hate Hikari even more, he is the only guy that's quite realistic and relatable here, with feelings and not quite one dimensional. Look at Tsumugu, quiet boy with no personality of his own yet, look at the others, they're almost the same. Hikari is the only exceptional one here, and I really like him. Sure he has his own faults, getting angry at Chisaki like that, but that's because he has emotions too, and he is not good at controlling them yet, and of course, he can't possibly know that Chisaki likes him, thus he got angry when she said that she understands him too. Dude don't blame it all on Hikari.

Best guy so far, Hikari > Kaname > Tsumugu.
Best girl, Akari > Chisaki > Manaka.

symbv said:
Tear jerking power of Okada Mari strikes early.

Really? I am not feeling it yet.
ToG25thBaamOct 18, 2013 1:59 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 18, 2013 9:10 AM

Oct 2009
It's getting good.
Oct 18, 2013 9:35 PM

Mar 2013
I'm wondering what will be Manaka's reaction of Hikari's feeling.

I'm Manaka x Hikari fan... But I don't mind Manaka x Tsumugu.
But I don't think Tsumugu liked her? I dunno what to feel anymore XD
Oct 19, 2013 2:58 PM

Oct 2011
Chisaki x Tsumugu will definitely be interesting to watch, I think. Nice to hear a bit more about the rules of the Sea Village. I wonder whether this village is one of a kind or whether there are lots of humans who live underwater? I hope they show expands on this and doesn't focus too much on drama and romance.
Oct 20, 2013 3:35 AM

Dec 2012
Forbidden romance is at work here. I wonder if Chisaki or Kaname ended up selling out Akari, I mean it seems too convenient that she was found out shortly after they discovered her secret. Tsumugu has intrigued me, I really want to find out more about him. Also Hikari gets lots of heat for his tsundere jealousy but I really think he's a decent character so far, lots of room for growth and perhaps even background as to why he's that way.
Oct 21, 2013 2:19 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode in the main plot a little bored, but that which concerns the events that surround are interesting. So it seems so trivial, in fact, the narrative shows us "more colors" than had been imagined at the start. I love it!
Graphic part, very beautiful, the scenarios are very beautiful and the effects are spectacular.
Excellent animations. * _ *
Characters yet to be discovered. : D
Oct 22, 2013 11:46 AM
Aug 2011
This is going likable so far.

The one thing I would like to point is that I like how show doesn't try to explain minor or major details in a scientific way and just leaves the phantasy world as it is. It would a waste if they did that and failed ridiculously (what happens 99% of the time).
Oct 24, 2013 2:10 PM

Jan 2011
Alright this is officially NTR even though I only found out about it a couple of days ago.
Main character needs to stop being a tsundere. ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ
I'm still confused by this, it's durp and pretty good at the same time.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Oct 26, 2013 6:09 PM

Jun 2013
Fuck you Hikari.

Anyway I go for Chisaki x Kaname or Chisaki x Hikari

I JUST WANT CHISAKI TO BE HAPPY Y'KNOW
Dec 20, 2013 9:51 PM

Oct 2013
Wind_Sr said:
Manaka x Hikari is a negative for me. I'm starting to hate Manaka. Chiisaki is my main girl now and I hope she gets with Hikari since that is what she wants most. Manaka is in this ahhh idk stage which I hate.

Yup Manaka's kinda annoyin
Jan 1, 2014 4:35 PM

May 2013
Wow, nice ep :)
Jan 8, 2014 3:55 AM

Jul 2012
The drama is developing. I love the art of this anime, it reminds me of Shinsekai Yori so much (even the character design, if it wasn't for the big blue eyes). I have to admit I like Hikari character, but I'm already pissed by the crybaby Manaka. (I actually hope the other girl-I-don't-remember-her-name, will end up with Hikari). Well, I'm satisfied so far, let's see how it goes on!
Feb 6, 2014 7:31 PM

Feb 2012
That's really sad about not being allowed to see someone from the surface world. I felt bad for Akari. Just the second episode and I am really liking it so far. I hope Manaka "mans" up though. At least not whine so much.

I sense great drama from this show. ._.
Feb 9, 2014 11:47 PM

Jul 2013
Much better episode than last one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2014 8:02 PM

Aug 2013
Hika really don't know how to deal with his two girls xD
''You plan to offer your body to a land man?'', what not to say to a confused girl :P

I thought that with his temper he would have confronted those men at the end... And her father not giving a fuck. I understand that he's like the master of the town but still.

Anyway, jalousy still groing on, Tsumugu being nonchalant as before, Chisaki being as shy as ever and Kaname continuing to be the fake secondary character. No I'm just kiddin' but I hope that at one point he stop being like the fourth wheel. But hey, it has just been two episode, what am I babbling about?
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 3, 2014 3:09 PM

May 2013
The only thing I dislike about hikari is his hot blooded attitude.
If you want everything you'll end up with nothing.
Apr 8, 2014 6:59 AM

May 2012
This is going to be quite a lovely romance/drama anime so far that I can tell what's going on here! Well I kinda like it so let's see what's next!
Apr 23, 2014 6:56 AM

Jan 2009
1.  Those sea village are crap, treating akari like that

2. The drama doesn't feel forced. It's natural to get jealous over friends, loving something different from the norm & potentially being banished from a village
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
May 16, 2014 6:05 AM

Sep 2011
I see where this is going!!! *o*

And the OST in this anime is really something else. O_O

billybob300c said:
2. The drama doesn't feel forced. It's natural to get jealous over friends, loving something different from the norm & potentially being banished from a village

Agree!
Jun 23, 2014 2:25 AM
May 2012
rebelakuma said:
That scene where Tsumuga-kun was fishing over the Ocean Village is so beautiful.... Man, that will be really awesome if we have those for real!
tingy said:
rebelakuma said:
That scene where Tsumuga-kun was fishing over the Ocean Village is so beautiful.... Man, that will be really awesome if we have those for real!

Agreed, it was breathtaking :) The animation and setting is too beautiful.

I'm surprised that Manaka would lie to keep Tsumugu interested, though he's only interested in her fish knee lol, Tsumugu is quite the eccentric one. He's really kind too, thinking of making a little place for the four of them to replenish their ena (I think that's what it's called?). Usually someone like HIkari would annoy me, but in this case, he's young and is pretty much at the awkward stage of his youth, not really understanding what to like someone is. Chisaki and Kaname are definitely the mature ones in the group, I like how they think over things calmly. I wonder how this love polygon is going to end up...and if it's going to be the focus of the whole entire two cour. But anyways, let the drama ensue! Oh and it seems like Uroko-sama know everything, even though he's a perv, I guess he still watches over the sea people and try to guide them along. I like how he tells Manaka that she's trying to go somewhere where her friends can no longer protect her, I hope she understands what he means/trying to kind of warn her in a way.

Exactly!! This Anime is starting to get really good. Now, I understand the good reviews and feedback :D
Hikari is really annoying, but I know how it feels, that's why I understand him.
Jul 5, 2014 10:01 PM
Jul 2018
OriginANIME said:
billybob300c said:

Agree!

Same!

There is a lot of drama and love triangles forming!
Jul 12, 2014 8:04 AM

Oct 2012
The fishknee.. Just talked 0_0

Hmmm... Hmmm...
Interesting...
xD

Still
Dat environment..
P.A. Works bravo!!
"Signature removed"
Aug 14, 2014 6:16 PM
Jul 2018
Good episode. The drama is definately heating up in the group. Felt bad for Akari...the sea village rules sure are tough.
Nov 10, 2014 9:29 PM

Jul 2013
Akari. D:

More love triangle drama. Although I guess here it's a square: Chiaki -> Hikari -> Manaka -> Tsumugu. And I feel like Kaname might have a thing for Chiaki too...all this romance! Hopefully it evolves into something beyond that. Although I don't wanna set any expectations, so I'll just hope that the story keeps on progressing smoothly. I'm not sure where it's going right now but I'm rolling with it.
Nov 12, 2014 9:05 PM

Sep 2014
Kii kun (w/e the mc's name is) may be a huge prick, but I still dont want to see fisherboy take his girl

I also felt a lot of pity for the red head when they showed her running behind everyone else. She seems so weak and helpless

This show makes me emotional in a bad way, but I guess that means it's doing its job right. I wholly expect Kii-kun to be the Slaine of this universe. Good fucking luck to him cause he will need it.
Dec 16, 2014 5:33 AM

Jan 2013
Hm...
The drama really did started early.
But we can see that Hikari despite getting easily irritated towards the land people (more than he really feels like), that he is rational and has more common sense the most people.
Jan 10, 2015 5:02 AM

Aug 2013
Oh darn it.. now the dark part of the story comes out.
Considering his age.. it's pretty normal for Hii-kun to be like that.
Rather than that Manaka going that far for the guy is a bit...
This is stirring my emotions in way that it's uncomfortable.
It's getting a bit depressing to watch.
Mar 9, 2015 8:26 PM

Feb 2013
Damn! I really like this al ot. I'm loving it! The OST is great and the visuals are just a great too. That kiss Akari gave to that guy. Didn't expect that. So people get banished? I guess the feels are going to come much later. I can feel it coming. I just know it. So good! This episode ending really good. What's goijng to happen!? Onto the next episode!
Jun 16, 2015 9:36 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
The feels are beginning to sink in. =(

I wonder what will happen to Manaka... I want her to be with Hikari, but I want her to be happy with Tsumugu too...
Jul 26, 2015 3:47 PM

May 2014
I want them to explore the racism and cultural stuff to the fullest, the romance already isn't that good lol but the other stuff is. I also wish there was just a tad bit more comedy to balance it out like in Toradora. Still liking it so far though :)
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2014

652 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

385 by Wishimog »»
Feb 18, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

353 by trabeus1 »»
Jan 18, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

431 by Redcher »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:48 AM

» Your emotions throughout?

sorames - Jun 8, 2023

12 by mo_lave »»
Sep 26, 2023 8:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.