Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 7, 2013 2:34 AM
May 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So this, was the first episode of the new Gundam Anime in 2013.
I only watched half of the episode, but the duration felt very long, almost like 30 min per episode, but as long as it is not as long as Unicorn it is okay for me.

So the new characters look great, even if they are a little bit younger then the main characters from the other Gundam series, they seem to have acknowledge.
I also like the new fights, with the hologram and the fact that they get into the Gundams automatically. Can not wait for the next episode, and I hope this Anime gets 25 Episodes.
Oct 7, 2013 4:13 AM

Mar 2009
Why'd you open a discussion without watching the whole episode? Odd.

It was fun, but it seems relatively average. I don't understand Reiji being a Newtype/Wizard. He teleports. His character confuses me in general.
Oct 7, 2013 6:18 AM
Oct 2010
As long as it's not as long as Unicorn? What's wrong with unicorn's length? Anyway, I liked it, but the suits from Wing aren't really my thing glad to see two get wrecked. It's pretty cool how the models get destroyed IRL if you do a battle with them. Overall it was better than I thought and I'll be in it to see the older gundams get modern animation.
GD1551Oct 7, 2013 6:23 AM
Oct 7, 2013 6:33 AM
Oct 2010
AlabastreAizo said:

I don't understand Reiji being a Newtype/Wizard. He teleports. His character confuses me in general.

Haha yeah I don't know what's up with that either.. I was like.. what?
Oct 7, 2013 6:46 AM
Dec 2012
WOW Very interesting. Very good shounen anime. It had Bakuman 1 feel. Animation was unexpectedly good for toy robots. Character design of those toy robots was very good. Looked realistic, I mean so good as Gundam robots of other adaptation without slipshod work. Before watching, I had wondered if the robots would be depicted as deformed and simplified ones. The idea of the miniature battle field was also good. I liked the realistic play-in-play. Also I liked the idea that the defeated units were actually broken, which would make the player extremely serious whenever they play games. The players don't die, but their precious toys get broken. The characters were likable. The relationship between Sei and Reiji a bit reminded me of Hikaru and Sai from Hikaru no Go. Wish the voice actor of Reiji was the same as Amuro or Char, which would've made Reiji more impressive as a master. Overall the execution was so brilliant it made the episode very entertaining.

It's another best anime of the season so far. Also it's one of the best Gundam among all the adaptations.
eminagnamOct 7, 2013 7:02 AM
Oct 7, 2013 6:49 AM

Sep 2010
lol Ramba (or is it Ranba?) Ral as the judge. I really like Reiji, but what/who is he exactly?

Also I see Exia it makes me hope for Allelujah's gunpla to make an appearance.

Suzuki's voice sounded a bit like 1stGen!Desil from AGE...is it the same person?
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 7, 2013 7:09 AM

Sep 2008
Roloko said:
Suzuki's voice sounded a bit like 1stGen!Desil from AGE...is it the same person?

Not really - Sazaki (at least, Sei clearly said "Sazaki")'s voice is done by Ryou Hirohashi: http://myanimelist.net/people/111/Ryou_Hirohashi
LAboy456Oct 7, 2013 7:13 AM
Oct 7, 2013 7:12 AM

Sep 2008
By the way - great episode: that's quite more than I expected... ;)

AlabastreAizo said:
I don't understand Reiji being a Newtype/Wizard. He teleports. His character confuses me in general.

Well, he's kinda mysterious... ;) and from what I've seen, also fun to watch at times :D
LAboy456Oct 7, 2013 7:41 AM
Oct 7, 2013 7:32 AM
Oct 2010
Roloko said:
lol Ramba (or is it Ranba?) Ral as the judge. I really like Reiji, but what/who is he exactly?

I see you like Gundam, but no Unicorn on your list? Waiting till it's over?
Oct 7, 2013 8:06 AM

Sep 2010
LAboy456 said:
Roloko said:

Not really - Sazaki (at least, Sei clearly said "Sazaki")'s voice is done by Ryou Hirohashi: http://myanimelist.net/people/111/Ryou_Hirohashi

lol I thought I typed Sazaki its what I get for multitasking so early in the morning.

skudoops said:
Roloko said:

I see you like Gundam, but no Unicorn on your list? Waiting till it's over?

Yes I am I think the last episode comes out in Spring 2014 so I'm holding off until then.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 7, 2013 8:26 AM
Oct 2010
Yeah it is coming out in Spring 2014, there's also Gundam Origins coming out if you want to give the original another shot and tomino's new show G-reko.
Oct 7, 2013 8:30 AM

Sep 2011
Aww snap that was a better start than I thought.
Some parts are cheesy but over all it's good. Iori is okay, Shitty Gyan brat is a brat, Reiji is random, AWWWW SNAP Ranba Ral, and Iori's mom is sexy hot.
The game really looks fun. Would like to play that with my Astraea Type F and a couple of models I'm planning to buy and build.

im gonna leave this quote here

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis
Brigs77Oct 7, 2013 12:50 PM
Oct 7, 2013 9:21 AM

May 2013
This is good.
Oct 7, 2013 9:39 AM
Dec 2011
I'm not expecting too much from this series since it is just another "Buy Our Toys Gunpla" type show (and far more blatant in that regard than a regular Gundam series can be), but I do have to say it was an enjoyable watch. It made me kinda nostalgic for the time when I used to collect and build Gunpla, and the battle animation was good. I won't say much about the characters since it is barely the first episode and I like to give a show a few before forming opinions on characters.
Oct 7, 2013 10:01 AM
Jan 2012
So the battles are hologram but when the suit is damaged, it carries on to the real world? wtf.

Anyways good first ep. Also why do some people rate the entire series based on one ep.? What a bunch of retards.
Oct 7, 2013 10:08 AM
Oct 2013
From the look of things the Battle Field itself was a hologram, aswell as the special effects (lasers and shit), however I think the Kits themselves were actually moving around and fighting on the holotable. When the Strike hits the edge of the field and it shimmers showing the outside you can tell that the kits are being manipulated on the halotable
Oct 7, 2013 10:50 AM

Sep 2008
well, as a gundam fan i kinda enjoyed this, even if cant be copared to any gundam series, still its a good watch , im going to enjoy this one =D
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Oct 7, 2013 12:03 PM

May 2010
another gundam kids show. not what im looking for even a gundam fan..
Oct 7, 2013 12:29 PM

Oct 2009
As a huge Gundam fan, this is too much of a kids show. Not watching.
Oct 7, 2013 12:31 PM

Jan 2011
Dat milf

The models/mecha action looks good, that Reiji guy kinda reminds me of Kaworu but a bit more brash.

Hoping for more China with Mikasa's voice <3
VioLinkOct 7, 2013 4:12 PM
[center]
Oct 7, 2013 12:47 PM

Jul 2011
"Fuck the plot, let's make awesome gundam fight" -> I kinda like it :d
Oct 7, 2013 12:54 PM

Jul 2010
God i hope Exia/00 raiser makes an appearance, other than the shelve
CrzykidoOct 7, 2013 12:58 PM
Oct 7, 2013 1:34 PM

Sep 2008
It was enjoyable! It seems it's aimed at a younger audience but here I am, liking it a lot and feeling nostalgic. I certainly laughed when Reiji called the security guard an old man and the guy said he was only 25. Kids these days, smh.

Anyways, I like how they got this whole hologram thing going on with the special effects of the battle. The models getting beat up certainly make the weight of defeat a lot heavier. I was ready to see Sazaki go cry to his mom after losing haha. I like Sei but i hope that he eventually learns how to fight his own battles. I don't know how to feel about Reiji yet, he's too mysterious.
Oct 7, 2013 1:41 PM

Jul 2010
This is kinda like Yugi-oh. But too childish for my standard, yes I like the fights and the gundams, but the characters are just way too plain.
Btw love the ending/opening by Back-On.

VioLink said:
Dat milf

^
AkanezoraOct 7, 2013 1:45 PM
Oct 7, 2013 2:27 PM

Jun 2008
better then i thought it was gonna be, still dont know if ill continue to watch this.
Oct 7, 2013 2:44 PM

Sep 2010
I don't know why but i have a feeling that Reiji could either be human or a spirit
Oct 7, 2013 3:00 PM

Jun 2013
man it felt good to see reiji just destroy that sazaki prick.....

i could do without the product commercials at the beginning and end of the episode. Overall I hope this doesn't turn into a clearly half-assed anime like Beyblade or B-damon.
Oct 7, 2013 3:29 PM

May 2012
LOL, so after the Level5-written childish, horribly-directed-action-scenes Gundam Age, we get this?
What is SUNRISE doing?
Gonna check it out later/tonight.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Oct 7, 2013 3:31 PM

Nov 2011
Dat OST.

Battle START
Whoa, that was better than I had thought.

The gundam reminds me of the Freedom but I like the style of the series so far. The OST was pretty decent and I like most of the characters so far. Sei's father seems to be a pro and Reiji seems to be have decent skills himself. Character designs are okay I guess, reminds me a little of AGE.

Overall, much better episode than I had originally thought. I'm going to keep my hopes up.
Oct 7, 2013 3:46 PM

Sep 2008
Xeroix1990 said:
I don't know why but i have a feeling that Reiji could either be human or a spirit

I'd also think he's a spirit, but he doesn't probably fit in that category as everyone can see him, so I'd think he could be a mix of both (I guess that once we know his background story, everything will become clear)
Oct 7, 2013 3:52 PM

Feb 2013
Not as bad as I thought it would be really. Kinda feels like a Gundam fanfiction that got animated though lol.
Oct 7, 2013 4:04 PM

Apr 2013
i'm pist he made the gundam wing look like a piece of shit and i know that its one of my top three right after the FREEDOM
Like robots? Then watch getter robot :D
Oct 7, 2013 4:15 PM

Sep 2011
Kerozinn said:

Tony777 said:

are you guys that insecure?
Oct 7, 2013 4:23 PM

Jun 2013
Brigandi said:
Kerozinn said:

Tony777 said:

i think it's less that their insecure and more to do with that this show may be dumbed down or have a shallow/no plot BECAUSE it's a kids show.
Oct 7, 2013 4:25 PM

Apr 2013
Sei: Mr. Ral, I heard that you used to participate in Gunpla battles.

Ral: I sure did. I still carry my Gunpla around with me, too.

Sei: Awesome! Can I see it?

Ral: Sure thing!

Sei: Huh? It just looks like a regular Zaku to me. . .

Ral: This is no ordinary Zaku, my friend!
Oct 7, 2013 4:36 PM

May 2012
13:48 what's he? did he drop down from the sky? lol

16:13 lol, paafekuto taimingu

Laughable. 5/10 for this ep. Well, at least the fighting scenes were better than the horrible Gundam Age's.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Oct 7, 2013 4:42 PM

Sep 2011
koudez said:
i think it's less that their insecure and more to do with that this show may be dumbed down or have a shallow/no plot BECAUSE it's a kids show.

theres nothing wrong watching a kids show.
and how it has no plot?
from what i see and read, 2 boys are teaming up for the Gunpla Battle World Championship.

koudez said:
Overall I hope this doesn't turn into a clearly half-assed anime like Beyblade or B-damon.

once again
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Plamo-Kyoshiro
"The same concept was used with Model Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G."
published in 1982, decades before beyblade and all that BS.
Oct 7, 2013 5:07 PM

Apr 2013
It's also worth mentioning that this show is being written by the same guy who wrote Gundam 00 and s-Cry-ed, so I think it'll probably turn it alright, despite the fact that it's a kids' show meant to sell Gundam models.
Oct 7, 2013 5:14 PM

Sep 2011
AsherFischell said:
It's also worth mentioning that this show is being written by the same guy who wrote Gundam 00 and s-Cry-ed, so I think it'll probably turn it alright, despite the fact that it's a kids' show meant to sell Gundam models.

a lot of shows sells Gundam models
Oct 7, 2013 5:25 PM

Apr 2012
koudez said:
Brigandi said:
Kerozinn said:

Tony777 said:

Gundam was forever a kids show. Since when it was catered on the Seinen demographic? Unicorn was only one who is close of being a Seinen gundam show. Victory and Zeta, despite being dark as helll are still kids shows.

AsherFischell said:
despite the fact that it's a kids' show meant to sell Gundam models.

The reason why there are new gundam shows even today is to sell models and yes that includes gundam shows like Zeta, Victory, Wing and 00. Part of the reason why the gundam franchise has been a successful franchise to begin with is because of the toy models. The truth is Gundam has, and always will be, a toy commercial.
RedgraveGilverOct 7, 2013 5:33 PM
Oct 7, 2013 5:45 PM
Oct 2010
RedgraverSoul said:

Gundam was forever a kids show. Since when it was catered on the Seinen demographic? Unicorn was only one who is close of being a Seinen gundam show. Victory and Zeta, despite being dark as helll are still kids shows.

The reason why there are new gundam shows even today is to sell models and yes that includes gundam shows like Zeta, Victory, Wing and 00. Part of the reason why the gundam franchise has been a successful franchise to begin with is because of the toy models. The truth is Gundam has, and always will be, a toy commercial.

Let's be real though, despite being targeted towards kids initially UC Gundam hasn't been that way for a long time. G Gundam, Gundam 00, Gundam Wing etc were all attempts to get the teeange/kid audience back into gundam. They know their fanbase has been pretty old for a while and have been catering to that with UC gundam for a long time now, even with Zeta and Victory.

Also I agree that the shows are used to sell models and be extremely entertaining, but the reality is the shows are very successful even by themselves. Without the model sales there would still be gundam shows coming out today.
Oct 7, 2013 5:59 PM

Apr 2012
skudoops said:

Let's be real though, despite being targeted towards kids initially UC Gundam hasn't been that way for a long time. G Gundam, Gundam 00, Gundam Wing etc were all attempts to get the teeange/kid audience back into gundam. They know their fanbase has been pretty old for a while and have been catering to that with UC gundam for a long time now, even with Zeta and Victory.

The first gundam, 0079 was one of the earliest shonen along with Hokuto no Ken, Ashita no Joe, Voltes V, Daimos and Captain Harlock. I think we all know that the reason why Gundam was revolutionary is because it managed to depict a pretty realistic war in the mecha genre and the revolutionized the entire genre, heck not only the mecha genre but anime itself. Tomino was catering it to kids during that time and it just happens that it was able to attract an older audience. To me, the best kinds of kids shows is not only something that kids would enjoy. As far as i'm concern Unicorn was the only gundam that is being catered for adults or for the ones that grew up watching the Universal Century gundams.

skudoops said:
[
Also I agree that the shows are used to sell models and be extremely entertaining, but the reality is the shows are very successful even by themselves.

I certainly agree. The shows itself was very successful but honestly we can't deny that AU gundams such as Wing, Seed and 00 were more successful in the west compared to the UC Gundams. Which is pretty sad to be honest and that is why there are only handful of people watching Unicorn.
RedgraveGilverOct 7, 2013 6:04 PM
Oct 7, 2013 6:04 PM
Nov 2009
skudoops said:
RedgraverSoul said:

Also I agree that the shows are used to sell models and be extremely entertaining, but the reality is the shows are very successful even by themselves. Without the model sales there would still be gundam shows coming out today.

No, trust me on this; Gunpla sales make up a far larger percentage of sales than you realize. They're huge in Japan. Some series may push discs, but Gundam would have been dead long ago if it wasn't for gunpla. Some series would have been considered complete failures if gunpla hadn't made up for poor ratings and BD sales.
Oct 7, 2013 6:31 PM

Jun 2012
I've always liked gunpla, yet I've never bought any before considering the amount of work you have to put in it to make it look amazing. But it seems like they may make it easier to build and customize gunplas now; if they are, that will actually give me the proper incentive to buy them.

The episode was great. I especially like the ost. And did anyone else feel like Ral was supposed to be a reference to Ramba Ral form the first series? Lmao XD I hope we get a lot more of these references in this anime. (There has to be someone with a mask) Oh and I died of laughter when Ral said Reiji was a New Type.
Oct 7, 2013 6:37 PM
Oct 2010
RedgraverSoul said:

I certainly agree. The shows itself was very successful but honestly we can't deny that AU gundams such as Wing, Seed and 00 were more successful in the west compared to the UC Gundams. Which is pretty sad to be honest and that is why there are only handful of people watching Unicorn.

Yeah I agree there, and it is truly a shame, I hope origins changes this even a little. Sunrise knows the appeal is there, enough so that they do worldwide launches for Unicorn eps, just hope that more people get into UC. I think reanimating some of the older stuff would do wonders. The special in the BD of 08th MS team looked pretty damn amazing and I honestly think that could easily be one of the more popular ones in the west.

An_anon said:

No, trust me on this; Gunpla sales make up a far larger percentage of sales than you realize. They're huge in Japan. Some series may push discs, but Gundam would have been dead long ago if it wasn't for gunpla. Some series would have been considered complete failures if gunpla hadn't made up for poor ratings and BD sales.

I know how much Gunpla sales make up I was just saying the shows have been successful by themselves as well for the most part. IIRC a couple years ago a study found that between 1970 to 2009 or so Gundam animes took 4/5 of the top seller spots (can't remember for sure though). I agree for the most part they are used to promote Gunpla sales, and to excite mecha lovers, who doesn't love seeing a new model? Just saying they could stand on their own if needed :P
Oct 7, 2013 6:44 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
This is actually better than Gundam Age.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 7, 2013 6:58 PM

Jan 2011
wakka9ca said:
This is actually better than Gundam Age.

This almost brings a tear to my eye...because it's true.
Oct 7, 2013 7:00 PM

Sep 2010
How many cours will this have 1 or 2? Or will it be also 49~50 episodes like other Gundam series?
Oct 7, 2013 7:10 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Brigandi said:
AsherFischell said:

a lot of shows sells Gundam models

ALL the Gundam series sell Gundam models.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 7, 2013 7:23 PM

Apr 2013
not having seen AGE, SEED or Double Zeta, I'm not minding that this is a kids show. I'm really interested. It kind of reminds me of Yugioh
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gundam Build Fighters Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

46 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Jan 21, 1:05 AM

Poll: » Gundam Build Fighters Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

32 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Jan 21, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Gundam Build Fighters Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2014

63 by Yoggix »»
Oct 12, 2023 12:53 AM

Poll: » Gundam Build Fighters Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2013

44 by Yoggix »»
Oct 10, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Gundam Build Fighters Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2013

45 by Yoggix »»
Oct 10, 2023 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.