Critically reviewing anime and manga is based on a nine point scale considering a rating under 1 is impossible. Most of the factors are out of a three point system, except in the case of intellectual content which is out of one; either a series has it or it does not:
The following pieces are aggregated into a possible score of 1-10
(2) Characters – Are the characters rational? Interesting? Believable? Aggravating?
(2) Plot – Is it riddled with tropes? Does it pull the viewer/reader in? Is it original?
(2) Enjoyment – Overall, did I value my experience or was it a mistake?
(2) Production Value – Is the voice acting good? Is the script well written? Is the animation and art of high quality? Is the soundtrack memorable?
(1) Intellectual Content – Does the media have any historical or cultural relevance? Is there depth or purpose to its existence? I will also subtract a point if something is just too incredibly stupid.
What Does The Total Score Mean To You?
(1) Garbage; it has no value whatsoever, and nobody should bother.
(2) Horrible; perhaps it retains some slight shred of potential, but it is unlikely that one should watch this unless it is “so bad it’s good.”
(3) Very bad; not all is lost, you may enjoy if you really love the series or genre, but most should stay away.
(4) Bad; this may actually be somewhat entertaining, but it has serious problems.
(5) Lower-end Average; had potential, but is mostly forgettable.
(6) Higher-end Average; if you were interested in it, give it a try, but it likely will not exceed your expectations.
(7) Good; it still has several significant flaws, but it is not a waste of time.
(8) Great; there are few reasons to avoid this unless you really think you will hate it.
(9) Amazing; there are hardly any flaws that keep it from the top and almost anyone would enjoy it.
(10) Phantasmagoric; I recommend you most definitely watch/read this, no matter what you usually like!