Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2007 7:48 PM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
--------------------------------------------

I thought it was alright. So far, none of the Gundam pilots really interest me. Most interesting character is that Union Flag pilot (but I've forgotten his name).
Oct 29, 2007 8:21 PM

Sep 2007
YEah it was a coo episode. I hope other countries don't try and use the gundams like that.
Oct 29, 2007 8:50 PM

Jun 2007
I have to admit, I felt kind of relieved Celestial Being attacked that country instead of the US Forces. I guess I'm biased toward my own country. =P

Good episode.

Oct 29, 2007 9:26 PM

Oct 2007
I hope that all of the countries don't play antagonist. It would seem kind of odd that all the countries, and states within, would want to fight.
Oct 29, 2007 9:47 PM

Aug 2007
I'm loving the flashiness as it were. I'm a sucker for lasers, and swords and laser swords (more so laser swords that shoot big lasers)...

...But the characters so far (aside from that 'one kid that got saved by the gundam') aren't making a particular impression on me yet, nor does there seem to be any main development of the story.

Oct 29, 2007 11:12 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
OmegaJudgement said:
...But the characters so far (aside from that 'one kid that got saved by the gundam') aren't making a particular impression on me yet, nor does there seem to be any main development of the story.

I agree. Politics are usually important in these types of stories, but the characters are all dead to me. A few I find mildly interesting, but I need more than that.

The girl with the white hair (forgot name) instantly reminded me of the chick with the HUGE eyebrows in Gundam Wing, lol... who I also can't remember the name of. It's been so long...
Oct 30, 2007 1:02 AM

Jun 2007
I liked this ep allot. Its definitely beginning to start; The country's are slowly starting to Allie and target the Gundams and the story is surprisingly easy to understand. This is probably because we spend more time learning about the politics and less time seeing character development. Speaking of character development i'm definitely happy this didn't turn into a romance show right off the bat (will it even have any romance?). It seems past Gundam series that try and tie in romance as one of the major plots ruin the show badly (ala Gundam Seed, Seed Destiny, and even Wing to some extent). We basically know next to nothing about any of the characters and it actually seems better this way at the beginning. I'm sure there will be a few "filler eps" where we see some character development and relationships being formed but it definitely wont be like other series (at least I hope).

Anyway, The show keeps getting better and I'm happy.
Oct 30, 2007 6:36 PM

Jul 2007
Pretty good episode. I really like how it concentrates on the whole political part of the story, although i'd eventually like to see some character development as well.

Nyoro's subs kinda suck though, i missed that whole conversation at the end because they insisted on subbing(without translating) that song before the ED for no reason. Next time i'll know better than getitng their crappy subs.
Oct 30, 2007 8:01 PM

Oct 2007
hmm, i was watching an avi by Nyoro, and i didn't have that problem. it was laid out fine for me...

as for the story, i'm also looking for characters to care about. i'm here and you've got me watching it, but i'm not really invested in anything. where are the interesting characters??

i did like the battles, but they were pretty quick. could've used more of that and less of the talking. ;) boy, there's lots of characters i don't even know yet!
Oct 30, 2007 8:37 PM

May 2007
Few points I would like to make here:
1. Setsuna's scarf is awesome! I want one!
2. Sumeragi (Celestial Being's comp chick) is hot!
3. Sunrise knows how to incorporate politics well in their gundam anime.

I thought the episode was pretty good. It gave us an idea of the limits the countries are willing to go to find out about Celestial Being and their Gundams.

kalindiana said:

as for the story, i'm also looking for characters to care about. i'm here and you've got me watching it, but i'm not really invested in anything. where are the interesting characters??

I do agree here. They haven't concentrated or gone into any depth whatsoever with any of the characters. I was hoping of the start of some kind of relation between Sagi and Setsuna, but given that we're only on episode 4, I think that's to come....I hope. That's really the only thing that missing for me in this anime. Otherwise, it's really good.
Nov 1, 2007 9:28 PM

Nov 2004
I liked this episode. I liked how they gave us further insight into Setsuna's mind, he obviously has problems now that we know he envisions everyone's deaths without batting an eyelid. The fact that the show focuses more on politics then characters might be refreshing. I mean a huge complaint was that Gundam Seed was all about the characters (and how emo they were). Now we're waiting for the emo to come in this show. LOL. Can only have the best of two worlds, eh?
Nov 3, 2007 6:57 PM

Oct 2006
Nothing really impressed me in this episode tbh.. tough, I did like the outcome.
I agree the show is focusing more on politics so far. Which is not exactly a bad thing, but I hope they start giving some room for the characters. Seems it might happen in the next episode judging from the preview.
Apr 21, 2008 10:36 PM

Apr 2008
Is the Anti-American elements in this ep... just coincidental (if thats the word)?
Sep 29, 2008 4:01 AM

Feb 2008
Too much political crap, it's boring me to death. Hope this gets better.
Dec 29, 2008 11:23 AM
Nov 2007
Veronin said:
Too much political crap, it's boring me to death. Hope this gets better.

Strange I just love all the politic talks...
Apr 25, 2009 8:29 PM

Mar 2009
I thought it was alright. So far, none of the Gundam pilots really interest me. Most interesting character is that Union Flag pilot (but I've forgotten his name).

I mostly agree with this. Grahm is by far the most interesting character in my mind, probably because I enjoy seeing how obsessed he is with finding more out about the Gundams. Although this new girl from the H.R.L. also seems like somebody who may play an important role in the future (They called her some kind of super human right?).

It is definitely true that so far the show has only really been focused on the political aspects rather than the character development. To be honest it does get a little boring to watch because of this. Now I do enjoy seeing these political issues play out, but I really think a show is at it's best when there is a good blend of character development alongside everything else. Fortunately the preview certainly does indicate that the next ep. will have some development with Allelujia (sp?) which is definitely necessary at this point. I really want to find out more about the Gundam Meisters. I'm just hoping that Setsuna isn't really as cold and depressing as the show is making him out to be so far, because that's just not working out at all for me right now.

And once again the battle takes place at the end of the ep. and it is quite entertaining. I enjoyed the mystery taking place about who Celestial Being would actually attack. It's nice to know that they don't want to be taken advantage of. Unfortunately it seems that this was Taribia's (sp?) plan all along since they still ended up benefiting from all this.

So all in all it was a pretty good ep. but I just hope things pick up a little more in the future.

4/5
May 27, 2009 10:36 AM

Jun 2008
Nice political games. This was an example why trying to play the police man of the world even if you have a huge power in your hands is not easy.
I really can't understand what where they thinking they will achieve with this organization. It's impossible to stop war.
Aug 6, 2009 2:19 AM
Jul 2008
I love the expressed themes and political issues being dealt with in this Gundam series. Very though provoking and intellectual. Interesting concepts and take on world issues in war & government. I believe that was the right predetermined choice to engage in combat against the Taribian country as it was the country disrupting peace and influencing the notion of war for secession to benefit in self gratification of the big wigs and suits atop the chain in the government.
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate"

-Prince Ashitaka, "Princess Mononoke"
Aug 15, 2009 7:56 AM

Sep 2008
Oooh. This is fun to watch. Quite intresting that now they are bonding all Union nations together by attacking Taribia.
Feb 6, 2010 7:17 PM

Nov 2008
I like the politics in this series. I wonder if that guy will attend school and become friends with his neighbor.
Feb 12, 2010 7:22 PM
Aug 2008
Like a lot. Different from both Wing and Seed in that here gundams are a third, independent, external party to any confrontation, where as in Wing and Seed the gundams picked a side within the conflict - interesting.Yet, while I've seen gundams' goal being the eradication of war/weapons/fighting/etc., this time around their insistance on uniting the entire Earth Sphere seems ridiculous - but I guess, if there was no dual goal, we wouldn't have an anime to watch, right?
Indeed, a curious maneuver Taliba and America managed to execute - I just can't help but wonder how many lives of common people where lost in it while the leaders were securing maximum benefits from the situation.
P.S. That blond girl with yellow eyes also reminds me of Dorothy Catalonia - more for assertive and direct manner than appearance.
Aug 1, 2010 11:16 AM

Sep 2009
Hahaha, looks like Venezuela grew some guts and conquered the Guyanese to create Taribia. The politics is less silly and pretentious in this episode than the last few, so I hope this trend continues.

Marina is the most Chinese looking Arab(?) princess I've ever seen.

Monad said:
I really can't understand what where they thinking they will achieve with this organization. It's impossible to stop war.
I agree. The whole Celestial Being business is ridiculous in the first place, but it's fiction, so I'll suspend disbelief for a while when I watch it.
Aug 19, 2010 1:46 AM

Aug 2009
pacing is slow.

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seems clearest, so that we will always strive to reach it."

chiquit

Aug 19, 2010 7:36 PM

Apr 2009
the question is who will dominant the world :p
Jan 1, 2011 11:38 PM

Jul 2010
I love all the political talk going on.

Go, go Gundams!
Apr 18, 2011 9:39 PM

Sep 2009
...Relena?
owo
Apr 18, 2013 12:32 PM

Aug 2010
Love the political stuff here... But, as a few others have mentioned as well, I am not really feeling the main characters aka the gundam meisters.. I still dont really remember their names and faces (except for Setsuna's).. :o Hopefully there'll be more stuff about the characters...
Sep 14, 2013 8:45 AM
Oct 2009
haha I like how Setsuna keeps on giving that guy the slip but idk why he tells his real name to the student guy and girl :/ anyway I hope the story will get deeper, I wanna know if that scientist that proposed the solar system energy thing is really dead and predicted all this and recorded that message before he died
Apr 8, 2014 1:07 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I love how centered this show is on politics and how there really isn't a main MC but an ensemble cast. Very entertaining watch so far.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 18, 2014 7:19 PM

Feb 2013
Feldt <3

I rather like how the gundam pilots are all pros from the start. They execute their missions as perfect soldiers.

Too bad they didn't wipe out both sides in this conflict (only because I wanted to see more explosions).
Jul 5, 2015 7:19 PM

Jul 2010
blue-y said:
Love the political stuff here... But, as a few others have mentioned as well, I am not really feeling the main characters aka the gundam meisters.. I still dont really remember their names and faces (except for Setsuna's).. :o Hopefully there'll be more stuff about the characters...

Same, hope there is some backstory and devleopment soon, focusing on the politics is important too and I like that but still I want to know more about our main chars.
Jan 14, 2016 5:27 AM

Jul 2008
And here come the politics, seems the CB knew this would happen but did it anyway.

The big 3 aren't stupid at all.
Apr 7, 2016 12:39 PM

Mar 2016
I thought it was pretty good, but I have been able to connect to any of the characters yet.
Aug 14, 2018 7:46 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Someone mentioned Dorothy...I hate that while I've forgotten most of Wing, I can still visualize Dorothy's face when I read her name. But so far Marina doesn't remind me of her?

I agree that while the politics is interesting, there needs to be some character development soon. Characters are a huge part of why I'd enjoy any story, which is why I didn't like Wing. But I've heard that people like this series so I'll patiently wait for when the characters start to become more interesting.
Nov 3, 2018 2:50 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Political strategies!!! It will be more complicated than I could imagine!!! kekeke
May 27, 2020 6:30 PM

Oct 2013
Cool episode, however I'm worried that none of Gundam Meisters really interest me and I see their enemies as far more interesting characters. I hope it's gonna change in the next episodes, because it would be awkward to not care at all about main characters, lol.

I noticed an important and quite annoying detail... why there are not many black people in this anime? Modern world, many places and I haven't seen even small amount of black people apart from that pilot. :( I know it is a work of fiction, but it pretends to be "the Earth in the future", so lacking that kind of small, yet important details, is definitely not satisfying for a viewer like me, unfortunately.
May 15, 2021 10:32 PM

Jun 2020
This episode had little action but it was very good!
The first three I had to watch again because I felt lost, however this was very clear. I am looking forward to know how it will be to put out the fire with the fire haha

But it is clear that the war goes far beyond the machines; there is the question of political power and society's money.

That's it, the oil is gone !!
"If you don't stop depending on people, you can never grow!"
"Se você não parar de depender das pessoas, nunca poderá crescer!"

May 17, 2021 2:15 PM

Sep 2017
"Marina Ismail Sama"
BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
English name, Arabic surname and Japanese honorific!
HAHAHA It's so funny classic Japan.
Feb 14, 2022 1:39 AM

Oct 2013
The political plot is pretty cool. I just hope the characters will start do something other than standing there explaining us the story.
Feb 13, 2023 12:01 AM
Feb 2022
I like this emphasis on geopolitics that makes it so that nobody is truly in the right, and I also appreciate the fact that they aren't pulling the Japanese nationalist card in this series, which is an issue that plagues MANY other non-Gundam mechas, and even some entries in the Gundam series too (Stardust Memory).

Just goes to show how much a good Gundam feels right to watch compared to other mecha.

I also appreciate this series nailing every Post-9/11 foreign policy right on the head. It's literally "Fuck you Bush" the anime.
coolzieFeb 13, 2023 12:08 AM
Jun 21, 2023 5:14 PM

Dec 2018
super human institute of technical research...
...shitter?
wow what a name.
StateofOhayoJun 21, 2023 5:58 PM
Jan 3, 9:19 AM

Jul 2017
I honestly really liked this episode, i love the fact that the celestial being attacked taribia and not the Union, and there is an aura of mistery behind the celestial being that really interests me.
I think it's ok if the show pays more attention to the politics rather than the characters, at least for now.
Really curious to see how the story will progress.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Requal - Mar 28, 2008

187 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 27, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KrylonBlue - Mar 7, 2008

108 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 27, 2:15 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KrylonBlue - Feb 23, 2008

73 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 26, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kurotsuki - Feb 16, 2008

82 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 26, 11:13 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 9 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 2, 2007

44 by Neemesis_2 »»
Feb 25, 11:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.