Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2013 5:22 PM
May 2009
Urgh I dislike this ep so much. What they do is really stupid and what if Iwatobi's banned in this tournament for next 1-3 years? Too much focus on that spoiled shark brat

Rei is officially the best character.
babyhhSep 25, 2013 5:25 PM
Sep 25, 2013 5:28 PM

Jan 2011
Watched it for Gou all i'm gonna say
Sep 25, 2013 5:30 PM

Jul 2012
Rei is the best. Period.

I thought it was a good ending. It was nice to see the conflicts finally resolving. I'm a bit disappointed that they got disqualified, but at least it closes this season and prepares for a second one (hopefully). I gasped when I saw the "1" beside Iwatobi ;_; Almost started crying. It was such a Chihayafuru moment. I liked how Samezuka and Iwatobi started having joint practices after :D

I'm not sure if this show is a 7 or 8/10 yet. I think it really improved in the second half which not many short animes master well (most have good beginnings, weak endings) and had those moments where all the feels come rushing in. :| So I'll leave it at a 7 for now.
Sep 25, 2013 5:41 PM

Jan 2013
The beginning had me a little startled because I was wondering how they were going to wrap everything up by the end of the episode, but I have to say, I'm impressed by the way they did it, and because I was all up in the feels, I still can't properly tell whether or not they rushed a little. The ending was really wonderful and I'm glad that all loose ends were tied up.

Because it made me so outrageously happy, I gave it an initial 9/10. It'll probably go back to 7 or 8 later. Here's to hoping for a second season, maybe!
Sep 25, 2013 5:43 PM

Feb 2013
So far this was the best episode yet. It was a finale that was the best I've seen this season so far. It went exactly the way I wanted it to and I was amazed and the beauty of the relay race.

The amazing feels in this episode were just....I am totally speechless. Poor Rin finally broke down and we found out how much of his self-esteem had been broken ever since Australia. That whole tough guy act was a facade to cover up just how bad he was hurting.

I am so glad that everything came out and all of them became friends again. I loved everything about this episode and it really made this series a keeper for me. Though they didn't go to nationals, it didn't matter. They gained their friend and teammate back. And it looks like Rin might be leaving Samezuka? I will definitely get this on DVD and I was so glad that I watched it despite the hype. I will be highly anticipating next season in July 2014.

I give this episode a 10/10/, and the series an 8.45/10.
Sep 25, 2013 5:51 PM
Apr 2012
i cried like a baby seasonnn 2 plzzzzzzzzzzzz
Sep 25, 2013 6:05 PM
Jul 2013
While the episode itself is very entertaining and the three friends reached thier original goal of swimming with Rin again, i found the story and the lack of logic very irritating. Rin basically throws a temper tantrum like a little kid wanting ice cream and the Iwatobi swim club and Rei ruin thier chances at nationals in order to satisfy him. What the fuck is up with that? Rei basically guilted Haru into quitting the swim club, treated his friends like shit, acted like a big shot, fucked up his own 100m and then got rewarded. Talk about never learning his lesson!

Jun 2013
Wow, that ending was perfect! I'm so elated that Rin was able to get accepted back into the group...but I really miss his cheerfulness that he had as a shota, i mean as a little kid ;D

The HaruRin scenes were perf~
I really hope they will make a season two, there's so much that can be done!

Apr 2009
Seriously: This was the best KyoAni show in years. It was really good and certainly beat their Key works for me, not to mention Tamako Market, Hyouka and a few others.

Season 2 seems a bit forced after this satisfying conclusion, but I'd enjoy an OVA.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 25, 2013 6:07 PM

Oct 2012
A very nice ending
Sep 25, 2013 6:09 PM

Jan 2011
That was good. Although we all know ratings are to be taken with a grain of salt. >8 after all the BS this show got early on lol.

See you next summer!

PS 8/10
IZEROIISep 25, 2013 6:13 PM
Sep 25, 2013 6:12 PM

Dec 2012
Hopefully next season we can touch up more on Samezuka's swim team.
But other than that it was a solid conclusion. Loved how Iwatobi and Samezuka are having joint practices, everyone can be together again. Overall series rating 9/10.
Sep 25, 2013 6:13 PM

Mar 2013
Bursted out laughing when rin replaced rei XD
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Sep 25, 2013 6:22 PM

Jul 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Seriously: This was the best KyoAni show in years. It was really good and certainly beat their Key works for me, not to mention Tamako Market, Hyouka and a few others.

Agreed on that.
Sep 25, 2013 6:35 PM

Jul 2007
Second season y/y?!
I will wait for it rewatching this endlessly!
Sep 25, 2013 6:39 PM

Mar 2009
I think the episode could have done without Rin freaking out on everyone, and I would have loved it if they axed Nitori, but Rin replacing Rei in the relay? Kinda saw it coming from a mile away (albeit I thought Rei would have gotten an injury or something). Still, the freelings were there and I loved almost every second of it. They tied everything up pretty well, and I'm really glad Rin is getting along with his old buddies + Rei now.

Season 2 would be MUCH APPRECIATED.
Sep 25, 2013 6:42 PM

Nov 2012
"For the Team."

Rin loses his race,cause he's distracted and upset about not being in the relay.

Miyano's voice sounded magnificent during Rin's little breakdown.
"I'm done swimming!"

Dat Rin and Haru confrontation,my inner fangirl/fujoshi was scream with excitement XD.

Rin crying T_T.

Rei gives up his place in the relay to Rin.

And they win the relay!!!Too bad they were disqualified though.

Felt like crying when the relay began and Makoto and Nagisa swam.And actually started to cry when Rin finished and Haru started to swimming,and we see Haru in the air and Rin watching in amazement.It was just a very sweet/touching and happy moment.

Like the ED.Nice/sweet scenes with everyone afterwards.It was good to see Rin smile and laugh again and everyone acting more friendly to each other like before.I actually thought Rin had switched school when he was introducing himself.

Season 2 next summer,seriously can't wait.Now I'm debating whether to rate this a 8/10 or a 9/10?
VanishingKiraSep 25, 2013 6:45 PM
Sep 25, 2013 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
Well thats the end of that, thank the lord. I still cant believe how it got so many sales.
looks like we'll be getting a 2nd season from that ending.

katsu044 said:
Watched it for Gou all i'm gonna say

Same here.
Sep 25, 2013 6:51 PM

Dec 2011
Free! was kind of boring for me..too much drama not enough swimming. I'll watch if there's a second season though 6/10

Sep 25, 2013 6:51 PM

May 2010
'See You Next Summer'
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Sep 25, 2013 7:00 PM

Jan 2013
Beautiful animation.
A bit dramatic, but in a good way.
7.75/10
Sep 25, 2013 7:04 PM
Jul 2018
Fuck the haters I actually enjoyed this more than any other KyoAni anime I have seen .
Sep 25, 2013 7:09 PM
Oct 2010
That was a fun final episode... and gay?

Anyway, it doesn't make up for the bore most of the season was, but I'll still bump it up to 5/10... average, on average.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 25, 2013 7:17 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Last episode was really good.

However, the entire series is a bit too melodramatic and boring for me.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 25, 2013 7:24 PM

May 2012
Homophobes can suck it. This show was pretty decent.

7.5/10
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Sep 25, 2013 7:26 PM

Feb 2013
Also, does anyone think Rin is going to transfer to their school eventually? Rin was doing a practice run of that whole introductory speech saying he was "formerly of Samezuka", before everyone ran out to their joint swim practice.
Sep 25, 2013 7:44 PM

Jul 2009
"See you next summer"

How about no.

I liked the series originally, but then it somehow lost all it's appeal. It's kinda like how Tamako Market ended up feeling for some people-good, but incomplete. I'd rather KyoAni tackle a brand new project than make a sequel for a rather mediocre series.
Sep 25, 2013 7:44 PM

Jun 2013
Irenesharda said:
Also, does anyone think Rin is going to transfer to their school eventually? Rin was doing a practice run of that whole introductory speech saying he was "formerly of Samezuka", before everyone ran out to their joint swim practice.

Nah, I'm pretty sure Rin is going to stay in Samezuka. If they ever make a season 2, that would mess up the team a lot. I think Rin is just happy to be friends with everybody again. :')
Too lazy to make a signature. F*** it.
Sep 25, 2013 7:47 PM

Nov 2007
What's with the announcement of a second season? or a movie, perhaps? I am sure KyoAni know they nailed it! Look at the sale numbers! The BD, DVD and CDs all are sold like crazy!

As for the anime, I have to say, this anime reminded me how young and innocent were my high school days. Ah, it was so good to be young! I wish I could be Free again too! :)

5/5 for the finale and a 9/10 for an anime with different approach. Job well done, KyoAni!

For the final time (at least before the next season!), GOU is LOVE!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Sep 25, 2013 7:57 PM

Nov 2012
myth720 said:
Have to say I hated this episode.

I wanted to see Iwatobi swim, not a replay of their childhood relay.

The show is called Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club, but the entire episode focused about Rin being a spoiled, selfish brat and everyone catering for him so he would stop crying.

What happened to “see how far we can go together”, no, it was cast aside for Rin’s sake, like everything else.

They should’ve competed against Rin, even if Rin would’ve won. Couldn’t they have talked about his insecurities and issues without having him replace Rei? It was just wrong, wrong, wrong and now I can’t even be truly happy with them all being friends again, because poor Rei must be feeling so disappointed inside and putting up a front.

Also, there was not enough Makoto. There was not enough Nagisa. There was not enough Rei.. man, even Haruka didn't get much focus because it was all about Rin.

So for me, the show ends with episode 11... see how far they can go together. And still undecided if I should lower my rating or just ignore this episode, because I liked and enjoyed the series so much.

This is exactly, word for word, how I felt about that episode.
It was so excellent for me from 1-11 and I foolishly thought that they weren't gonna go this route, like I actually believed that they weren't gonna pull this, but they did.
And, I'm sorry, but Rei was treated badly in this episode. How do you have all of those bonding moments between the Iwatobi club, for them to just be like, "Nope! We wanna swim with Rin." No one stopped Rei from dropping out. Not Nagisa, not Makoto, no one. And he only offered to drop out after Haruka's I-wanna-swim-with-Rin crap, I believe, which, ughhhh. Nagisa like, drags Rin from track to swimming, Rei CAN'T EVEN SWIM, he has to learn all of this for these guys, he works his butt off for them, but they just want to swim with their douchey, whiny, childhood friend.
I'm so mad and disappointed and do you know how into this show I was? And now it's all ruined. I'm just gonna pretend that this episode never happened, lol. Everyone else seems to love it though.
Sep 25, 2013 7:58 PM

Sep 2013
Nooo..it's over. T_T I don't I don't have to wait till next summer for season 2. The episode was okay until they started hallucinating about dolphins and orcas. What the hell, gonna get disqualified anyways, why not smoke a joint first?
Sep 25, 2013 8:00 PM

Apr 2013
Veronin said:
Marow said:
MATSUOKA-SENPAI SENPAI YOU'RE THE BEST MATSUOKA MATSUOKA MATSUOKA-SENPAI YOU CAN DO IT SENPAI SENPAI SENPAI MATSUOKA YOU'RE SO COOL MATSUOKA SENPAI SENPAI

Oh god. I had to skip every single scene where he showed up.
^
Sep 25, 2013 8:29 PM
Jan 2013
That ending was better than I expected it to be! Man, I hope it will have a season 2 the ending said "See you next summer time!", just have to wait to see what KyoAni says.
Sep 25, 2013 8:32 PM
Jan 2013
Sourire said:
Veronin said:
Marow said:
MATSUOKA-SENPAI SENPAI YOU'RE THE BEST MATSUOKA MATSUOKA MATSUOKA-SENPAI YOU CAN DO IT SENPAI SENPAI SENPAI MATSUOKA YOU'RE SO COOL MATSUOKA SENPAI SENPAI

^
'

Haha, I know that feel bro...http://i.imgur.com/BWEaLXS.jpg
Sep 25, 2013 8:38 PM

Aug 2008
Not a bad show at all! Of course, there were a lot of hints of the boys being homosexuals, but it's light enough that it doesn't bother me (I don't have anything against gays; it's just that as a straight guy, I have no interest in watching men make out). I'll give it a 7/10

Also, that Nitori guy's given name is Ai? Seriously? I'm almost certain that's a girl's name...

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Sep 25, 2013 8:49 PM

Mar 2011
guyklc said:
Also, that Nitori guy's given name is Ai? Seriously? I'm almost certain that's a girl's name...
It's short for Aiichirou

Sourire said:
Veronin said:
Marow said:

^
As much as I hate to admit it (I really have a soft spot for Nitori), that's the one thing about him I can't stand. Instead of trying to read the other person's feelings/attitudes, he just mindlessly rambles the fuck on and it makes me want punch my laptop.
Sep 25, 2013 8:49 PM

Jan 2013
The series started strong, got a little boring in the middle, and ended strong. Gets 7.5, but will round up to an 8.

Will definitely watch the 2nd season if it indeed happens.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2013 8:55 PM

Feb 2010
guyklc said:

Rin just shortened his actual given name, Aiichiro, to Ai...it still sounds hilarious, though...

Loved the show, from the beginning to the end. It had its plenty share of humor, touching moments and great visuals/music. I'm certainly going to miss it.
Sep 25, 2013 8:55 PM

Jul 2012
Edefrem said:
guyklc said:
It's short for Aiichirou

When I watched it, I immediately thought of the word "love" because that's what Ai is in Mandarin. But then I realized it was just his name. LOL
Sep 25, 2013 8:56 PM
Dec 2012
They sacrificed a lot by letting Rin swim with them. They missed out on going to nationals. Haru says "Don't worry, we'll be back" So most likely they wont be pulling off that stunt again.

Sure they still consider him a team mate, but what about Rei?
Rin's no longer following his dad's dream, so what's his dream now? Good to see they're joint practicing again. Would like to see a different Rin in S2 though.

Overall it was an enjoyable but not very realistic/practical ending. I'm happy they were able to patch things up(hopefully). Definitely looking forward to another season. I cant remember what got me into this series but it was great fun and I was looking forward to it each week. Free!
Sep 25, 2013 8:56 PM

Dec 2011
That was a great ending! They got to swim together again :D Rei you're such a good sport ^_^

"See you next summer" OMG YEESSSSS? XD
Sep 25, 2013 9:04 PM

Nov 2012
It was pretty predictable that Rei would let Rin swim
But it was superb nonetheless

Can't wait for the specials then hopefully a season 2
Sep 25, 2013 9:04 PM

Jul 2013
Edefrem said:
Sourire said:
Veronin said:
Marow said:

^
As much as I hate to admit it (I really have a soft spot for Nitori), that's the one thing about him I can't stand. Instead of trying to read the other person's feelings/attitudes, he just mindlessly rambles the fuck on and it makes me want punch my laptop.

The problem I have with Nitori that's addressed in this quote is that, while he has good intentions, he doesn't really do anything. I get blindly trusting people - I do it too - but it's obvious that Rin has some issues and yet he still doesn't question him at all about it. He just mindlessly follows Rin around offering surface-value support much like Beliebers do with Justin Bieber (that's right, I just made that leap). He could have actually tried to delve deeper and try to understand him. I think Rei is a good example of that. Hell, Rin didn't even talk to Rei before he was confronted.

He's definitely my least favorite in the series. Maybe he won't be as one-dimensional next season as we was this season, but for now to me he's just "that annoying kid who kept talking while Rin was busy having a moment."
Sep 25, 2013 9:19 PM

Mar 2011
Chanaynay said:
"that adorable yet somewhat annoying kid who kept talking while Rin was busy having a moment."
*I fixed that for you
Sep 25, 2013 9:21 PM

Jul 2013
Edefrem said:
Chanaynay said:
"that adorable yet somewhat annoying kid who kept talking while Rin was busy having a moment."
*I fixed that for you

He was too uke for my tastes. :(
Sep 25, 2013 9:26 PM
Aug 2011
Nitori's my least favorite as well.
Nice of him to be looking out for Rin but just I wanted him to be a tad more silent.
Sep 25, 2013 9:44 PM

Mar 2013
Rei is my fave character and i really felt disappointed when Rin replaced him. Also, there's not enough MakoHaru moments more on RinHaru :/ Other than that, the ending episode was beautiful 4/5 Mixed feels all over *sobs* especially when "Ever Blue" played in BGM. Must download that song *w*

Thank you so much KyoAni.... s e e y o u n e x t s u m m e r !!!! ^o^
Sep 25, 2013 9:45 PM

Nov 2008
Rei is truly an awesome character. I really wanted to see him race with the rest of the guys though, so i wasn't completely happy win Rin been the one to do it. But I'm glad things got resolved between them.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Sep 25, 2013 9:51 PM

Aug 2013
Can we talk about this? This really pissed me off.

I have been super feelsy over Rei for weeks now because it is just so so so wrong how the boys keep fixating over Rin and seeming to rub it in Rei's face. They never really treated him like they did Rin, and that really pissed me off, because for a good portion of the anime, I hated SharkBoy's guts. And what better way to nail this in than Rei, who worked so hard (remember when he almost drowned) to catch up to the other boys, giving up everything he worked for to piteous SharkBoy to make his "teammates" happy. It's touching as hell, but it shouldn't have happened!

That rant aside, the race scene was straight up beautiful, we had some great lines and the ever prized character development, and as usual the animation? Flawless.

This was a great anime, well-written and multi-dimensional characters, beautiful art, a range of invoked emotions and *gasp* SURPRISE!! A PLOT!!

See you next summer~

9/10
*facepalm*
Sep 25, 2013 9:54 PM

Jul 2008
I love Haru and Rin so much, SO MUCH. This episode was so much better than I dared hope for. I can't believe how much I ended up enjoying this show. Solid 9/10 for me, would have been higher if the middle part didn't drag so much. AHHH I REALLY LOVED THIS SHOW!

BEGINNER
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

102 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.