Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Poll: Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu Episode 1 Discussion


Dec 15, 2013 6:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1833
I liked how Kurisu played the main roll this time. It definitely wasn't on par with the TV version but none the less a decent effort at wrapping up the series, I enjoyed it quite a lot.
 
Dec 15, 2013 6:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 83
Maybe i'm just biased towards the whole series in general. Since i just loved the Steins;Gate anime.

Definately will watch again 10/10

"Hodor" - Hodor
 
Dec 15, 2013 6:36 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 559
I really enjoyed the movie but I agree it wasn't as great as the anime
 
Dec 15, 2013 7:04 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 61
Was a tad unnecessary... But nevertheless was still a great movie. Awesome music, art and damn can Hiroshi Hamasaki direct. Definitely worth the wait.
 
Dec 15, 2013 7:50 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 54
Yeah, I loved it. My only real complaint is that it could've been a little longer because it felt a bit rushed (mostly around where Okabe first disappears).
Modified by FlyingPiranha, Dec 15, 2013 7:56 AM

Always the same old taste, just new injury
Well I'll wear the claws if you'd like that
 
Dec 15, 2013 7:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 15757
TheDodo said:
I did not rate it that high as it was filled with plot holes, especially the huge one at the end... I mean the fact that Kurisu was the one who told him about Kyouma in the past makes 0 sense.


I don't think that was a plot hole. Okabe originally came up with it himself. Kurisu told the story just because she probably thought it worked as an "anchor" to get Okabe back, as it was a touching story. If Kurisu wouldn't have told it, Okabe would've still become Hououin Kyouma.
 
Dec 15, 2013 8:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1601
Although lots of question were raised after finishing the movie, but in my opinion, it was great.
The movie was more drama and love-like-relationship, and more important, most of them were through Kurisu's POV. So yeah, it has less plot twists, only a few explanation of what's happening and a far less impact story than the television series. But, it was exceptional great at character development and interactions.

Overall, great experience. It brought feelings and made my eye became teary so yeah 10/10.
I haven't watched anything this touching for a while, 10 might be a bit too biased but, the show deserves a solid 9.
 
Dec 15, 2013 9:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 247
cupc said:
TheDodo said:
I did not rate it that high as it was filled with plot holes, especially the huge one at the end... I mean the fact that Kurisu was the one who told him about Kyouma in the past makes 0 sense.


I don't think that was a plot hole. Okabe originally came up with it himself. Kurisu told the story just because she probably thought it worked as an "anchor" to get Okabe back, as it was a touching story. If Kurisu wouldn't have told it, Okabe would've still become Hououin Kyouma.


Thanks for the clarification, I really thought they screwed that up. I havent watched the series in a while to be honest so I forgot how he came up with that story originally. In any case, I wish that part was clearer.
 
Dec 15, 2013 9:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 248
Thought the movie was mediocre and definitely not on the same level as the series. Always thought Kurisu was the weakest character so found the second part of the movie to be quite weak especially with no Okabe and the ending wasn't that great.
 
Dec 15, 2013 9:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1202
DarknessOfEmo said:
GarLogan78 said:
Luxanna said:
Am I the only one who didn't like this?

I love the Steins;Gate franchise, but this movie was just a complete mess of melodrama, cliché/forced romance and poorly explained plot details. I guess this is what happens when you try to come up with original content.


I didn't think it was a mess, but I agree the movie was unnecessary. There was really no need for a sequel movie at all. I still enjoyed it though.


I sorta think the movie was necessary because of how the ova ended but i still enjoyed the movie. Though they've should of adapt rest of the altervive mangas and made them into movies(not recaps)because they need to know the storyline on how it happened.


I don't think the OVA was adapted from the source material, though?
 
Dec 15, 2013 9:56 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 9
For the most part I think I picked up on everything, but could someone clear this part up for me as I kinda got confused trying to figure it out.

So Kurisu went back to change the past therefore making it that Okabe returns, but what about the part the events that led to her future self making the time machine and everything? If he returned doesn't that mean that all never happened? Or does she still make the time machine in the future and have Suzuha go back with a lie to the past Kurisu to make herself do it all just to make sure he stayed? And what happened to the first Kurisu that went back in time, or did they both stop on different times in the past?

lil of topic bout the series:
(The end of the movie is kinda like the end of the series again except in Kurisu version, which also makes me wonder, what happened to the first Okabe that went back and failed before? And the part that Okabe tells his past self that he made sure he failed just so his future self will be there, since he succeeded after that, was that future him in the future that he already succeeded and he is just sending the message back to make sure it happens? Or did he jump to another world line after that? (that being said, did Kurisu do the same thing here?))
 
Dec 15, 2013 10:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 443
omfg, amazing movie, definitely at the same level as the series, manly tears were shed.

9.75/10 for me, same as the anime.
 
Dec 15, 2013 11:02 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 23886
manlytearsforthefatherland.jpg
 
Dec 15, 2013 11:50 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9421
Luxanna said:
DarknessOfEmo said:
GarLogan78 said:
Luxanna said:
Am I the only one who didn't like this?

I love the Steins;Gate franchise, but this movie was just a complete mess of melodrama, cliché/forced romance and poorly explained plot details. I guess this is what happens when you try to come up with original content.


I didn't think it was a mess, but I agree the movie was unnecessary. There was really no need for a sequel movie at all. I still enjoyed it though.


I sorta think the movie was necessary because of how the ova ended but i still enjoyed the movie. Though they've should of adapt rest of the altervive mangas and made them into movies(not recaps)because they need to know the storyline on how it happened.


I don't think the OVA was adapted from the source material, though?


Are you talking about the ova adapting the prequel show called Oukoubakko no Poriomania? If that's what you mean then yes you're right it didn't adapted I think. But if you mean other manga for steins;gate than yes it didn't adapted that too.
 
Dec 15, 2013 12:10 PM
Forum Moderator
DatLookTho

Online
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 7173
It was good but I found some parts to be iffy.
My 2 favorite scenes were Kurisu breaking down and crying, and when she was acting like Okabe.

8/10 overall.
 
Dec 15, 2013 1:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 3324
In short:
10/10 as I expected ^^
 
Dec 15, 2013 2:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 613
I paused many times to lurk the internet during the movie. Didn't feel much entertained or absorbed by the story.
 
Dec 15, 2013 2:38 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1533
I was never very strongly attached to the tv series, although I enjoyed it. And this movie I liked as well, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It was wonderful how they explained deja vu and my heart was with these characters with their sensation of something missing the entire way.
 
Dec 15, 2013 2:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 684
Tears were shed.
Kurisutina POV.
Hououin Kyouma.
Kurisu in general.

Obligatory 10/10.
 
Dec 15, 2013 4:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4337
So I have finally saw it. And it's sure nice to see those characters again, Mayushii ~tuturuu~ will never get old. It is very impressive in its way.

But truth to say it doesn't live up to fullest glory of its predecessor. First, there are some small things. Kurisu is little to much tsundere in the beginning, I would like this being a little bit more serious from the start. Seiyuu of Okabe is using little bit different accent and it is more than noticable (actually, voice of Kurisu imitating him in the end was better than original). The story was nice and everything with Makise going full circle to the origin of Hououin Kyouma but it defies history and the logic of parallel worlds previous series has set (first and formost - SERN wasn't doing its experiments in this steins;gate timeline so there wouldn't be chance to hack its servers to time-leap). Also, Suzuha's appearance felt like deus ex machina. Many characters and things were there just for fans to be happy (which is really not bad thing but those scenes shouldn't be put in out of context and without meaning. Literally every detail in tv series was put there for a reason but, sadly, I didn't feel the same here). Somehow I felt they wanted to tell love story in the first place (which is fine by me) but they bented too many things to do it.

Even though, some moments were pretty intense and I generally like it.

Jukki Hanada tried its best but without 5pb. Naotaka Hayashi (original game script writer) by his side he only managed to do so much. He tried to link whole new story into already completed work and it felt little forced sometimes. I believe they tried to imitate the success of Disappereance of Haruhi Suzumiya but they didn't quite manage to keep whole narrative together.

I was looking forward to this fo a long time. It is good but the bar set by tv series is simply too high. I expected even better but, saddly, nothing really memorable comes out this movie. So,

6/10

(I may have rewatch this sometimes after repeating the game or tv series to see whether that changes my view of this movie but right now it's only little bit above average for me)
 
Dec 15, 2013 4:12 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
SilentReaper said:
For the most part I think I picked up on everything, but could someone clear this part up for me as I kinda got confused trying to figure it out.

So Kurisu went back to change the past therefore making it that Okabe returns, but what about the part the events that led to her future self making the time machine and everything? If he returned doesn't that mean that all never happened? Or does she still make the time machine in the future and have Suzuha go back with a lie to the past Kurisu to make herself do it all just to make sure he stayed? And what happened to the first Kurisu that went back in time, or did they both stop on different times in the past?

lil of topic bout the series:
(The end of the movie is kinda like the end of the series again except in Kurisu version, which also makes me wonder, what happened to the first Okabe that went back and failed before? And the part that Okabe tells his past self that he made sure he failed just so his future self will be there, since he succeeded after that, was that future him in the future that he already succeeded and he is just sending the message back to make sure it happens? Or did he jump to another world line after that? (that being said, did Kurisu do the same thing here?))


kurisu didn't change the past in the traditional sense, that's the whole point, cuz if she did, it would result in a new world line, but all she did was anchor a powerful memory in okabe's mind that belongs to the current steins gate world line, resulting in his reading steiner to resonate with that world line(the steins gate world line). that's because the reason he disappeared is because his reading steiner was resonating with the other world lines powerful memories thus he involuntarily vanished from the current world line, so when she went back in time with the future time machine she left a powerful memory, but didn't change any events, that's why rintaro was able to go back.
 
Dec 15, 2013 5:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 790
I feel it was a good sequel, maybe not as good as the tv show but ...

As usual the acting and the voices were perfect, nothing to say about this.

About the scientific part, hmm ...

There is one thing I don't get. Kurisu builds the microwave thing on the Steins Gate Timeline. Then she goes a few days into the past where Okabe tells her never to build this terrible thing again.

Doesn't it mean that the Steins Gate timeline is fucked? They explained that the Steins Gate timeline is unique so building a microwave thing in it means that the CERN will come and who knows what next..

If she doesn't build it (and she didn't build it again) it's no more the Steins Gate timeline no?


ps : she should just have had sex with him the night before he disapeared. Honestly it was just the easiest way ...
Modified by short_review, Dec 15, 2013 5:29 PM
 
Dec 15, 2013 5:55 PM
:D

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1571
Mich666 said:
(first and formost - SERN wasn't doing its experiments in this steins;gate timeline so there wouldn't be chance to hack its servers to time-leap).


Wasn't SERN always doing experiments? It was through Kurisu's paper that SERN actually succeeded in making a time machine though. But that paper burned in the plane fire.
 
Dec 15, 2013 6:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 129
The main reason I wanted to see the movie in the first place was fulfilled.. I wanted to see makise struggle & fight for okabe the same way he did for her and all of them and I got that! :)
 
Dec 15, 2013 6:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 407
Great movie, 9/10, El Psy Kongroo.

Just one quick note tho: I don't think the invention of the time machine is an anomaly in S;G world line. Even if Amane did disappear at the end of the TV series, it just means the instability hadn't begun yet at that point- because technically, her disappearance then didn't necessarily mean that the time machine wasn't invented- even though the characters came to that conclusion then- the truth was probably just that the circumstances under which it was invented have changed, and so Amane disappears in the end of the series, but appears again in the movie.

So, the time machine gets invented by Kurisu in the movie. Why? Because Okabe disappears and she wants to save him? Why did he disappear... And why did he disappear 1 year after the series? Well as someone already mentioned, I think it's because of Kurisu trying to remember the other world lines. She's the trigger- she's trying to remember something that shouldn't be- and Okabe is the cause of it- so he disappears when she comes back to Japan and manages to remember the other world line, and not before that.

Here's where it gets tricky though- so if she builds the time machine, brings Okabe back eventually and fixes everything... Why would she build the time machine in the future again? If the movie is really constantly in the same world line, she now has no reason to do it.
Well, the only solution that I see here- or at least, the only solution that doesn't change timelines- is that Kurisu grew up (in a world where Okabe exists) knowing she has to build the time machine someday, and then when the time came, she simply sent Amane back to past to lie to her young self, so that her young self would save Okabe. I'm pretty tired so I may be failing hard, but I don't see a paradox in this solution. If you take that everything what Amane said was a lie, then the whole plot is similar to the series- but instead this time it's Kurisu who's fooling her other self for a certain period of time (just like Okabe deceived himself in the series), so that the needed events could unfold. However, unlike the series, the moment where she realizes this is never shown- I can only assume that it's sometime later when she realizes she has to do this.
At least that's the way I see it.

This is so true though:
short_review said:
ps : she should just have had sex with him the night before he disapeared. Honestly it was just the easiest way ...
Modified by Electromistress, Dec 15, 2013 6:39 PM
 
Dec 15, 2013 6:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 710
it all makes sense!@#~#@#@~*~*&!~)P*&@
Hate Keeps me warm
 
Dec 15, 2013 6:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4337
Ando- said:
Mich666 said:
(first and formost - SERN wasn't doing its experiments in this steins;gate timeline so there wouldn't be chance to hack its servers to time-leap).

Wasn't SERN always doing experiments? It was through Kurisu's paper that SERN actually succeeded in making a time machine though. But that paper burned in the plane fire.

It's been a while since I played the game some almost 2 years ago and I guess you may be right with this (gotta check it what happens to SERN in there) but with microwave oven dissasembled and time-machine not constructed SERN shouldn't be able to send all those volunteers back to past and making green-goo of them in S;G worldline. And whole point of finding Steins;Gate world line between Alpha and Beta attractor field was to find the world where time machine never existed and where SERN wasn't able to create its dystopia. The world that is not affected by convergence and where future is uncertain. Actually, it's the same worldline where Robotics;Notes are taking place in 2019 which means Suzuha shouldn't be able to come back.

But with Kurisu making it real, creating it and using it - that should be more than enough to trigger attractor field change and thus making all previous Okabe's effort to go in vain.

Also, one more thing - the whole worldline travel is rather pointless if what's this movie is telling us is true and all people can "hear" and remember things of their other selfes from another attractor fields through their emotions and reading steiner. Cause that means they can gain knowledge to trigger events happening elsewhere (SERN dystopia, IIIWW) which would invalidate whole parallel world theory - and that's actually one of the problems I have with this movie.
Modified by Mich666, Dec 15, 2013 7:13 PM
 
Dec 15, 2013 6:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 157
Not as great as the TV series, but still a very good movie.

8 for Story and other aspect + 1 for CHRIISTIIINAAA!!! with a total 9/10. lol
 
Dec 15, 2013 8:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 367
I never think that a film sequel should be better than the TV series that come out before it, and because of that, I always enjoy the movie for what it is - never as a comparison to how better or worse it is from the original material.

This movie was a great throwback to the TV series, even if it didn't advance the overall plot really further, because I honestly think that its done what its intended purpose is (which is strengthening Kurisu's and Okabe's relationship and coming into terms with each other's circumstances - in other words, making the conclusion of the series more concrete. Nothing like trying to surpass its predecessor), and I believe that they've achieved that purpose really well, and then some. 9/10
 
Dec 15, 2013 8:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1209
Drunk Kurisu is freaking hilarious.

I really got the feels after Kurisu started to cry when he told her to forget about him after he disappears from existence. Scratch that--got the feels throughout the whole movie.

Kurisu must of got help in building that future time Machine from Daru or at least was influenced by his naming sense. It was interesting to see Suzuha put on Daru's hat. I wonder if Kurisu thought to herself what was Suzuha's relationship with Daru. Seeing as Kurisu hasn't met Suzuha yet to the point of finding out Suzuha's origin, it wouldn't have made sense for her to know yet.

Makes me think if the whole reason Okabe took the name of Hououin Kyouma in the first place was because of a time-paradox caused by the implanted memory, due to his future "mad scientist" personality that made an impression on Kurisu so much she told him about his future namesake identity--although indirectly, which lead her to kiss him in the past to spur his motivation of taking Mayuri "hostage" rather than let her be adopted by relatives or be orphaned (and thus started living with Mayuri in their teens, which I assume was also the beginnings of the Future Gadget Lab). Phew that was quite run-on sentence.

Moeka was still quiet as ever. Kind of wished she had more of a presence in this movie.

I wanted an epilogue to the future with the whole cast, maybe to when Nae is an adult, right before she joins the Robot; Notes storyline.
 
Dec 15, 2013 10:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1365
Electromaster said:

Why would she build the time machine in the future again? If the movie is really constantly in the same world line, she now has no reason to do it.
Well, the only solution that I see here- or at least, the only solution that doesn't change timelines- is that Kurisu grew up (in a world where Okabe exists) knowing she has to build the time machine someday, and then when the time came, she simply sent Amane back to past to lie to her young self, so that her young self would save Okabe.



Ohhh! Was confused about this part the entire time, but this simple solution makes so much sense now. Thank you good sir, now I can finally stop reading these walls of texts and thinking up messed up theories.
Modified by ninja88880, Dec 15, 2013 10:26 PM
 
Dec 15, 2013 10:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 15757
short_review said:
I feel it was a good sequel, maybe not as good as the tv show but ...

As usual the acting and the voices were perfect, nothing to say about this.

About the scientific part, hmm ...

There is one thing I don't get. Kurisu builds the microwave thing on the Steins Gate Timeline. Then she goes a few days into the past where Okabe tells her never to build this terrible thing again.



Doesn't it mean that the Steins Gate timeline is fucked? They explained that the Steins Gate timeline is unique so building a microwave thing in it means that the CERN will come and who knows what next..

If she doesn't build it (and she didn't build it again) it's no more the Steins Gate timeline no?


ps : she should just have had sex with him the night before he disapeared. Honestly it was just the easiest way ...


World lines never get "fucked". Instead, the characters get fucked. If they built a time machine, their world line would simply change a divergence number according to that, instead of S;G world line going the wrong way.
 
Dec 16, 2013 9:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 624
It was an alright movie. Not the best but still way above average .
 
Dec 16, 2013 9:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 766
I'll be honest: This movie was pretty close to the label "totally unnecessary". I'm a sucker when it comes to this show, but that movie was one hell of a huge mess.

The Achilles-point was none other than the story itself. Am I the only one who started counting all the inconsistencies which turned against the rules of the TV series? (Why did they force the psycho-loli part when the series had skipped this whole sub-plot [thank goodness]? What was the deal with the time-leap machine and the new 48+ hours limit? Mayuri did become a lab member thx to Okabe, so his disappearance should have changed the timeline where she is not a labmem anymore, amirite?)

The climax and the final conclusion were also pretty weak, lackluster and they made little to no sense. And where is that professional directing what the series had?

The characterization, however, was pretty great and well-written. I especially liked this duality what Kurisu's character got: the scientist/rational self versus her feelings.

Overall, a weak 6/10 from me. And here is a wholehearted advice: No more milking. Please!
 
Dec 16, 2013 10:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1202
The one major plot point that doesn't make sense to me is that if Okabe ceased to exist in the world line, how do the other characters even know each other? After arriving in the Steins;Gate timeline, Okabe made an effort to bring everyone together as he did in the other timelines. The entire notion of a timeline trying remove Okabe while keeping EVERYTHING else the same just defies scientific reason.

Also, lol'd at the subs translating part of Kurisu's talk as "neuroscientific conclusion".
Modified by Yuna, Dec 16, 2013 10:03 AM
 
Dec 16, 2013 10:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 15757
Luxanna said:
The one major plot point that doesn't make sense to me is that if Okabe ceased to exist in the world line, how do the other characters even know each other? After arriving in the Steins;Gate timeline, Okabe made an effort to bring everyone together as he did in the other timelines. The entire notion of a timeline trying remove Okabe while keeping EVERYTHING else the same just defies scientific reason.

Also, lol'd at the subs translating part of Kurisu's talk as "neuroscientific conclusion".


Only solution I can think of is, that because Okabe's Reading Steiner was overloaded and caused disorder to S;G worldline, Okabe simply disappeared to R, and S;G worldline remained the same in every other way. Because S;G worldline had the lab members "originally" (Well, matter of perspective) all together, that was the most simple way of getting rid of the disorder that there can't be on a single world line. (The disorder was ofcourse the visions Okabe got from his Reading Steiner. (Or not really visions, he actually leaped between timelines when he got those.) Still, that should've been explained better in the movie itself.

If this was any other series, I might have given this 8 or 7. But since it's S;G and I love the characters I had to give it a 9, lol.
 
Dec 16, 2013 10:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1202
Yes, that is essentially how the film explained it.

While it may make sense from a storytelling perspective, it makes no sense in a scientific context because it essentially throws the principle of causality out the window.
 
Dec 16, 2013 10:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 15757
You do know all things we know about time travel are just theories? That is one theory, there are many others. Hell, even the visual novel explains 11 different theories about time travel, if I remember correctly. Every theory is as valid as others as long as there are only theories.

That said, I have to say the theory that this movie uses isn't the most believable of them, though...

I can see why you don't like it
 
Dec 16, 2013 10:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1202
I could forgive a show like Mawaru Penguindrum for getting away with abstract explanations that seemingly defy logic, because the laws of the real world clearly do not apply in its universe.

However, Steins;Gate prides itself in being about "science" and is set in a world very much like our own. And that's why I expect a somewhat scientifically sound justification for everything that happens. Since we know close to nothing about time travel, I don't expect it to be 100% accurate, but it at least has to make sense.
 
Dec 16, 2013 10:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 580
Am I the one who TOTALLY love young Okabe? :3
 
Dec 16, 2013 11:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 7932
8.5/10
 
Dec 16, 2013 1:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 3029
9/10, DEM KISSUS.
Makise proclaims herself as the best girl once again.
Why is she so perfect?

Anyway, I liked this ending mooore than the ending of the series.
Totally worth my time, only 1.30 hours. What a bliss.

suzuha said:
Ravid25 said:
http://i.imgur.com/vbK9Pob.png

Was this the first kiss that Okabe referred to in the series?

I'm really curious about this as well and I REALLY hope it is.

Yes, of course. By that we can understand that Okabe is back in the main world line.

Luxanna said:
I could forgive a show like Mawaru Penguindrum for getting away with abstract explanations that seemingly defy logic, because the laws of the real world clearly do not apply in its universe.

However, Steins;Gate prides itself in being about "science" and is set in a world very much like our own. And that's why I expect a somewhat scientifically sound justification for everything that happens. Since we know close to nothing about time travel, I don't expect it to be 100% accurate, but it at least has to make sense.

But it made sense. Maybe it was just you who didn't understand that part.
Modified by Akanezora, Dec 16, 2013 1:31 PM
 
Dec 16, 2013 2:18 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 401
Junchi said:
I'll be honest: This movie was pretty close to the label "totally unnecessary". I'm a sucker when it comes to this show, but that movie was one hell of a huge mess.

The Achilles-point was none other than the story itself. Am I the only one who started counting all the inconsistencies which turned against the rules of the TV series? (Why did they force the psycho-loli part when the series had skipped this whole sub-plot [thank goodness]? What was the deal with the time-leap machine and the new 48+ hours limit? Mayuri did become a lab member thx to Okabe, so his disappearance should have changed the timeline where she is not a labmem anymore, amirite?)

The climax and the final conclusion were also pretty weak, lackluster and they made little to no sense. And where is that professional directing what the series had?

The characterization, however, was pretty great and well-written. I especially liked this duality what Kurisu's character got: the scientist/rational self versus her feelings.

Overall, a weak 6/10 from me. And here is a wholehearted advice: No more milking. Please!


Okabe did disappear from the timeline, but the world line didn't completely get rid of him. Because the worldline HAD to keep him in order to exist.

The influence of Hououin Kyouma is what creates the worldline. It had to keep him in order for the world line to make sense to begin with. Without Okabe Mayuri would have died in 2005, the rest of the lab members would never have met and thus the Future Gadget Lab was never established.

Lastly, the ending did make sense. If you're questioning why there were two different scenes with different atmosphere and a younger kurisu, here's the explanation.

Kurisu went back to a world line where Okabe's Reading Steiner, or rather, his conscious stabilizes and is able to recognize this world line. Let's call it, Steins;Gate world line number two. Future Kurisu from the Steins;Gate world line number two would have no reason at all to create the time machine, so the world line had to alter Young Okabe's memories in order to make sense, because the time machine never existed since Okabe's reading Steiner stabilizes in this world line. That's why they had a younger Kurisu in different clothing, because if it was the Kurisu we knew, it'll sound like an 18 year old Kurisu existed in the year 2005, which wouldn't make sense.


Here's something I picked up. Steins;Gate world line number two, it has to be a divergence number out of the range of the Beta world line. The following predetermined events in the Beta world line is Makise Kurisu builds a time machine in the year 2036. Steins;Gate is no exception since the divergence number is 1.048596, still within the range of the beta attractor field. Steins;Gate world line number two's divergence number has to be 4.00000 or beyond, since the known world lines extend up to 3-3.999999%.

In conclusion, they shifted to divergence number 4.000000 and beyond, a world line where Okabe Rintarou's existence is stable. Actually no, how do I say this.... In 4.000000, Okabe Rintarou's existance has never been altered due to Kurisu's change in the past. This is the real happy ending, but the Okabe Rintarou we know can't just shift to Divergence 4.000000, you'll need to altar to past in order to travel to this world line.
 
Dec 16, 2013 3:24 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 441
The movie was decent, but it was nowhere close to the A-Class greatness of the series. I generally liked it, and for a filler it had a premise that kinda justified the extension of the story but i thought its execution was flawed and ultimately rushed. It could have benefitted very much from a miniseries run of 5-6 episodes just to flesh out the lore of the new Steins;gate worldline. There was just wasn't enough time to get back to being emotionally invested in these characters. It's a very commendable effort to switch the positions of Kurisu and Okabe though. Kurisu was arguably the second most developed character in the series after Okabe and she didin't disappoint. She's a layered, multi-behavioral character with the capacity of sending us on a thrilling and emotional journey. I'm glad she finally gained the main spotlight.

I do agree that the possibility of the creation of the Time Machine was cracked open the moment we were hinted at the fact that certain characters could recall the memories of the other timelines. If they couldn't at least i'd find it impossible for Christina to accept Okabe as easily as she did in the S;G timeline.
 
Dec 16, 2013 3:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1202
Akanezora said:
But it made sense. Maybe it was just you who didn't understand that part.


No, it didn't. At least not from a scientific perspective. The idea of a "timeline" altering events to prevent a paradox from happening is just absurd. There's a reason why these paradoxes exist: backward time travel is practically impossible.

I understood what happened in the film and I would be able to accept the explanation it provided had the series not been so heavily concerned with being scientifically correct.
 
Dec 16, 2013 5:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
feels train incoming, tuturuu~
10/10 would watch over and over again ;_;


 
Dec 16, 2013 5:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 3029
Luxanna said:
Akanezora said:
But it made sense. Maybe it was just you who didn't understand that part.


No, it didn't. At least not from a scientific perspective. The idea of a "timeline" altering events to prevent a paradox from happening is just absurd. There's a reason why these paradoxes exist: backward time travel is practically impossible.

Steins;Gate has its own rules, and its own logic. Like every anime you know.
When we're talking about something like "Time Travels" we can't really prove that what is being said is true or untrue. This is one of its charms.

Luxanna said:
I understood what happened in the film and I would be able to accept the explanation it provided had the series not been so heavily concerned with being scientifically correct.

Yes, they tried hard to seem scientifically correct, but on their logic, and on their logic it made sense. I don't know what else I can tell you, if you truly understood it then you wouldn't say this. Above us they also explained it.
 
Dec 16, 2013 6:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1202
But the series is trying to be realistic, and does a pretty damn good job, for the most part. So at least come up with an explanation for this that's realistic.

Coming up with something like, "the timeline is trying to erase Okabe from existence but it can't completely remove his influence because doing so would invoke a paradox" is completely absurd. Sure, it may make sense from a storytelling perspective, but it does not suffice for anyone who has basic knowledge of the principle of causality.

Perhaps I shouldn't have studied science. Then I probably would have been able to enjoy this film. And other series that try to get away with plot holes by justifying everything with pseudoscience.
Modified by Yuna, Dec 16, 2013 6:10 PM
 
Dec 16, 2013 6:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Wow! Just wow!

I have gazed into the eternal abyss of all that is beautiful and everlasting. The lord, Steins;Gate, has bestowed eternal happiness upon me and I have superseded my mortal form and become an entity of pure euphoria.

I am blown away. I am dead. Mourn me.

I waited for the blu-ray and I am happy I managed to summon the strength to do so. It took every fibre of my being not to watch it sooner. The organisation has tried to lure me to a quality of video not worthy of Steins;Gate, but my mental fortitude has prevailed, and I am glad!

Tears were shed. A few laughs were had. I enjoyed Kurisu's impression of Okabe possibly more than anything ever.

It is nothing short of an injustice that this site does not allow me to give this film a rating of ∞/10.

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

TL;DR: I enjoyed this film.
Is a person's destiny like a cloud moving with an inescapable flow, or can a person choose the flow he wishes?... I still don't know the answer to this. Either way, the destination may be the same in the end. However, by choosing to live like the latter, a person can live and strive towards a goal. I have finally understood those who have that are truly strong. I have but one goal; I want to become stronger... Enough not to lose to anyone. - Neji Hyuuga
 
Dec 16, 2013 7:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 158
Honestly, it was too fast-paced that many parts could have been executed a lot better. But well, the feels were portrayed greatly enough so I suppose it's cool. But more than just the holes in the explanations, I can't ignore the fact that they forgot that the time-leap machine is applied with the same concept as the D-Mail. When Kurisu used it however, she wasn't holding any phone. And what's with the too convenient explanation on how they broke the 48-hour limit?
 
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »