Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 7, 2009 3:15 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Saw this in cinema in Hong Kong. Now I wasn't really expecting much from this since it is aimed at children but even going in with this mindset, I have to say that I was greatly disappointed.
Where it failed the most was the story it self. Who ever thought two 5 year olds striking a relationship was a great idea? If it was just a friendship bond between a boy and a gold fish that would of been fine but a relationship?
Adding to that, the attention to detail that Miyazaki has been famous for and been toned down a few notches with the use of water to hide that fact.
He's done some great children's movies before, My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service for example. Being a Ghibli fan I really wanted to like Ponyo, but just like Tales from the Earthsea (Gedo Senki), the story let it down :(
Apr 14, 2009 4:51 AM

Oct 2006
Ah >_< and I'm going to watch it tomorrow at the movie theatre... :S

Edit: watched it with 3 of my buddies and we all liked it. I was expecting more drama but I guess it was merrier and kinda "kiddish" since Disney was involved lol. Nevertheless, I found that movie really cute and charming.

9/10
shinobsApr 15, 2009 3:01 PM

May 7, 2009 8:47 AM

Jan 2009
It was ordinary story, which reminded me The Little Mermaid.
EinveraJul 16, 2009 1:59 AM

Jul 6, 2009 10:33 AM

Oct 2007
Reviewing a movie aimed for children from the perspective of an adult won't help much. Won't say that it was'nt simple thought. I found it lovely so it got a 9 from me. Did not like the way they animated water, but hey it was a magic being, so it just looked like any other being in Ghiblies word, round.^^
SchabrakJul 6, 2009 10:36 AM
^_^ ^_^
Jul 17, 2009 4:12 PM

Jul 2007
I adored this movie! It was a lovely little story that was straightforward, cute, happy, and energetic with very likable main characters, especially Ponyo! I guess some people might miss the drama of Ghibli/Miyazaki films, but something simply cheerful like this is wonderful once and awhile as well and today I appreciate the departure.

What might've worked better, though, would have been to spotlight the pollution problem by showing the "sea's point of view" and making Fujimoto into a bit more of a "villain" trying to protect the ocean [by destroying the humans]. His motivation and master plan were just a bit too vague and he came off so harmless that there was nothing for the main characters to overcome thus the plot comes off as being hollow.

The quality of animation and voice acting were superb though! Perhaps the colors were a bit too much like a box of crayons and everything appeared just a bit "flat," but I think the style complimented the movie so it works for me.

10/10 because I'm a 5-year-old at heart (and a huge little mermaid fan), and any kid that age would get a kick out of this movie. ;)
<---made of awesome!
Jul 24, 2009 3:23 PM

Nov 2008
This movie was excellent. I loved it. :)
Jul 26, 2009 12:17 AM

Oct 2007
Too much cuteness! XD I thought it was a great movie, though I suppose it won't appeal to everybody. The animation and art is beautiful as expected from a Miyazaki film.
Aug 5, 2009 5:20 PM

Dec 2008
As expected from Hayao Miyazaki XD
I thought the story was extra cute, though at first I had my doubts lol :3
Great movie

& &
Aug 15, 2009 8:31 PM
Apr 2008
I was somewhat excited to see a new Miyazaki film, I've had more hits then misses (the only meh film to me was Howl's Moving Castle) so we checked out Ponyo.

Although it's geared to children, so I understand it's not going to be especially deep, it still felt lacking.

I was thoroughly disturbed that the father, I don't know, abandoned humanity to sleep with the sea and make small children. O.o That was weird.

The boy's mother was just...disturbingly unaware of their personal safety.

The idea that adults would let a five year old go off on his own in the water is just a bit too much and the love story between young children is a bit much for me as well.

It seemed not to fit the characters as they were. The plot was a bit 'older' and more on the weird side then anything...

So 3/5, it was okay, not great, weird and not rewatchable.
Aug 16, 2009 12:34 AM

Jul 2008
In one word? Excellence. In another? Adorable.

That's precisely what Ponyo was, the story was fairly basic and straight forward, but made up with it's wonderful music and beautiful animation.

9/10, Miyakazi you never cease to amaze.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Aug 16, 2009 12:36 AM

Oct 2008
Miyazaki always amazes me with his films. In the age of CGI, he sticks to the old methods, and it really shows. The animation of ponyo is incredible, the creativity is top-notch. Needless to say, the characters are also adorable. Miyazaki can always twist a boring tale into an incredible adventure. Ponyo may not have the deepest of plots, but it is has that magical Miyazaki feel, and was worth every minute.

9/10
Aug 16, 2009 1:05 AM

Jul 2008
I also forgot to mention the ED is the most retardedly, mind-numbingly awesome thing I've ever listened to.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Aug 16, 2009 1:05 AM

Oct 2008
ItalianStallion said:
I also forgot to mention the ED is the most retardedly, mind-numbingly awesome thing I've ever listened to.
o7

PONYO~ PONYO PONYO~
Aug 17, 2009 2:21 PM

Jul 2007
I checked my age and learned cynicism at the door and had a great time. Yeah it has plot holes you can drive a truck through, but Miyazaki's films have never cared too much for plot. It's about the atmosphere; the world the characters belong to and what's important to them. That said, Ponyo is bound to be the Totoro for the new generation, a children's adventure that rewards innocence and purity of the heart.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Aug 17, 2009 6:16 PM

Nov 2007
Well, personally, I thought it was horribly patronizing and insulted the intelligence of children. Even little kids want a plot...or something exciting to happen every now and then. Totoro had the great atmosphere and feel of innocence AND dealt with issues in a realistic fashion. The children's mother is sick, and though she doesn't die, the story doesn't glaze over the fact that she might have, or that it's a big deal to the kids. Ponyo treats the possible death of the father like, "Meh, he'll be fine and dandy! Let's forget him!"

And plot holes? Oh, man! How about a huge ditch? What's Fujimoto's job exactly? Huh? Why's he hate humans? Just the pollution thing? What's the purpose of the sisters? Why's Ponyo so much older and special? What's up with the spirit of the sea? Why's she so melodramatic? What was the point of the magical well? How was Sosuke's simple "Yeah I love her!" response able to "restore the balance?" Why did the spirit of the sea think turning into sea foam was no big deal? What happened to the prehistoric fish? What's with the old woman suddenly being nice? Etc... etc...

Now, I admit most kids movies make no sense; I just recently watched a review about "We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story," but even most kid's movies have more "logic" than Ponyo...or are at the least exciting. "We're Back!" has action and fun and is still entertaining, in my opinion. Most little kids aren't fans of "Ohhh! Pretty and cute" for more than about ten-fifteen minutes.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but from a story structure, character development, art direction (many of the backgrounds for scenes feel like flat shots, rather than parts of a whole world), Ponyo failed.
TsumayoujiAug 18, 2009 9:00 PM
Aug 18, 2009 8:13 AM

Jun 2009
Not as good as other Ghibli movies but still very enjoyable!
Aug 19, 2009 6:31 PM

Feb 2007
Well, you're right, many children movies don't really make sense. But that doesn't mean that everything needs to be explained. Since it seemed that the main point of the movie was about Ponyo and Sousuke's relationship, I don't think it's really necessary to understand Fujimoto and the spirit of the sea. Besides whatever he works on, Fujimoto is still a father who worries about his daughter. Then there's the spirit of the sea, who seems to be an understanding mother who believes in her daughter.

Tsumayouji said:
What's Fujimoto's job exactly? Huh? Why's he hate humans? Just the pollution thing? What was the point of the magical well?

Well, he said he used to be human. I would assume that he left humanity to serve the sea. He did mention something about filling the well and ridding the world of humans. Sounds a bit like terrorism, but whatever. I can't remember what he was talking about.

What's the purpose of the sisters? Why's Ponyo so much older and special?

Well, baby fish come in bulk. So of course there would be many. It seems that Ponyo was the one granted magic, however.

What's up with the spirit of the sea? Why's she so melodramatic?

I would just consider her intrigued. lol

How was Sosuke's simple "Yeah I love her!" response able to "restore the balance?" Why did the spirit of the sea think turning into sea foam was no big deal?

If Sousuke truly wanted Ponyo to stay with him, then Ponyo would become completely human. Thus, the world wouldn't be so out of balance, as Fujimoto was fretting over in the beginning. I believe that the spirit of the sea strongly believed that things would work out between Ponyo and Sousuke. She didn't seem at all worried throughout the movie.

What happened to the prehistoric fish?

I hardly think it matters.

What's with the old woman suddenly being nice?

I don't think she ever hated anyone. She just puts up a rough exterior. She chose to stay away from Fujimoto because she didn't trust him. However, she knows Sousuke, so naturally, she would want to protect him from Fujimoto. I don't see any reason to revert back to being a loner in the end with everyone being so happy.

I will say, though, that Ponyo did feel to be lacking. The older movies like Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro felt much more endearing.
Aug 21, 2009 9:03 PM

Oct 2008
First Miyazaki film I've ever seen in the theatre. It was a sweet little film. I agree about some of the questions raised about certain points of it making sense, but animation wise it was spot on and the story had its sweet moments. Not my new favourite Miyazaki film or anything, but it was worth seeing it up on the big screen, you definitely get something more out of it.
Aug 22, 2009 9:16 PM

Nov 2007
Asrialys said:

Well, he said he used to be human. I would assume that he left humanity to serve the sea. He did mention something about filling the well and ridding the world of humans. Sounds a bit like terrorism, but whatever. I can't remember what he was talking about.

See, that's all assumption though. And you're not even sure what the purpose of him was. If Fujimoto wasn't even that important, why bother drawing attention to him? When a story places emphasis on a character and then forces the watchers to make conjecture about the whole of his character, that's laziness on the storyteller's part.

Asrialys said:

If Sousuke truly wanted Ponyo to stay with him, then Ponyo would become completely human. Thus, the world wouldn't be so out of balance, as Fujimoto was fretting over in the beginning. I believe that the spirit of the sea strongly believed that things would work out between Ponyo and Sousuke. She didn't seem at all worried throughout the movie.

Again, how does Ponyo being human avert disaster? How was that last scene even a "test," as the sea goddess so dubbed it?

Asrialys said:

I don't think she ever hated anyone. She just puts up a rough exterior. She chose to stay away from Fujimoto because she didn't trust him. However, she knows Sousuke, so naturally, she would want to protect him from Fujimoto. I don't see any reason to revert back to being a loner in the end with everyone being so happy.

Again, here's another point in which the audience just has to assume things about a character's nature. So she doesn't trust him? Why? Where's the build-up? Maybe showing us the scene in which the other old ladies leave could have helped develop this more. Also, so everyone else is happy, she should be too? Hmm, seems a bit weak to me. If they had showed her doing more grudgingly endearing things earlier on to show that she secretly cared, I might buy it. Also, showing some hesitation on her part to be happy like everyone else at the end would have been better as well. Having one of the other old ladies start a game of tag by tagging her first or something like that.

I'm not trying to grill you. Just playing a bit of the devil's advocate, I suppose. ^_~
Aug 23, 2009 12:09 AM

Nov 2008
Gotta say, watched a bit of the Japanese version, saw the English one tonight, I actually prefer the Disney dub on this one. Great movie.
Aug 23, 2009 12:22 AM

Jan 2009
Well, I watched the Japanese dub, and I gotta say.... I FREAKING LOVE THIS MOVIE.

I mean, I love all of Miyazaki's works. To me, this movie was like if you took spirited away, mixed it with My Neighbor Totoro, and threw in some ocean elements.

The characters were all amazing, I'd love to have a mom like Lisa. XD

The art was fantastic. As expected from a 'Miyazaki film.

And the music, awesome as well. Then ending song I'm definitely gonna put on my iPod. XD

But yeah, Miyazaki films always keep the kid in me alive. ^_^
Aug 23, 2009 11:16 AM

Nov 2007
Lepchin17 said:

But yeah, Miyazaki films always keep the kid in me alive. ^_^

Just wanted to remark that reading this final line of yours and then looking at your signature was disturbingly hilarious! ^_~
Aug 23, 2009 8:10 PM

Dec 2008
Tsumayouji said:

Asrialys said:

Again, how does Ponyo being human avert disaster? How was that last scene even a "test," as the sea goddess so dubbed it?

I think I can answer this one ^^;

The reason why Ponyo was able to become human was because she stole some of her father's magic and it was that very same magic that also wrecked havoc on the island. When Sousuke agreed to accept her as a human and a fish and Ponyo agreed to remain human, Ponyo also had to agree to one condition: she had to give up the magic she had taken. As we all know, she did and so the magic was returned to a safe place where it wouldn't cause, you know, massive flooding and tsunamis xD

However, I'm in complete agreement about most other points raised about the various plot holes in Ponyo. The movie was enjoyable, fun, and cute, but all the same, I can't ignore some of the answers that were missing from it and I think that's what made the movie somewhat disappointing for me. The artwork, too, was a mixture of awesome and dull - I liked the art of the island and the landscape, but the water scenes were lacklustre in comparison and considering a large portion of the film involves waterscapes and ocean scenes, it really makes an impact on it as a whole, I think.
Aug 23, 2009 8:33 PM

Jan 2008
I just watched it in a theater. Miyazaki delivers once again with an excellent movie for everyone.

Aug 31, 2009 6:59 AM

Jun 2008
Well for once I have to say I was a tad disappointed with Miyazaki, not that I didn't like the movie, because I did. It just wasn't a mind-blowing as the others. It was very enjoyable though, and visually it was probably my favorite, every image was gorgeous.

RtheO
Sep 3, 2009 5:17 PM

Aug 2008
Mate. That was amaze. Soo many funny things.
Sep 5, 2009 9:04 PM

Dec 2008
great movie.
I am so re-watching it on high def (might also help me come up with something to cover up these holes)
Sep 5, 2009 10:59 PM

Oct 2008
I was really excited to see the movie so when I finally saw it, it somewhat disappointed me. I still liked it, just not as much as I thought I would. I thought it was a crack up that Disney pimped out the ending song for Ponyo.
Oct 1, 2009 4:11 PM

May 2009
I was smiling through the whole movie. It was great!
Oct 2, 2009 3:15 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
I like Howl's Moving Castle better, but this anime movie is pretty good.

Oct 5, 2009 7:08 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Simply_Waiting said:
Well for once I have to say I was a tad disappointed with Miyazaki, not that I didn't like the movie, because I did. It just wasn't a mind-blowing as the others. It was very enjoyable though, and visually it was probably my favorite, every image was gorgeous.
i agree. a wonderful movie, yes, but he's made better.

I just watch the Japanese version. Is it worth seeing the Disney dub?

There were so many sweet and cute moments in this film. I adore it.

9/10

edit: oh i see this was my 800th post. nice!
NaruleachOct 6, 2009 1:46 PM
p r o f i l e 👀
Oct 10, 2009 9:45 PM

Feb 2009
She's the cutest thing ever that's all I have to say. I know there wasn't a very complicated story, but it's ok!

But that guy sure has a lot of kid.
MaxCrazy7Oct 10, 2009 9:51 PM
Oct 14, 2009 7:23 AM

Jan 2009
When will this be coming out on dvd in the states?
Oct 21, 2009 2:38 AM

Jan 2009
Saw it in Japanese class, finished it today, and .. It was.. Really strange xD.
Oh well, the other Miyazaki movies are pretty strange too, but .. I mean.. Hey, this was plain odd xD
Although I can't say it was bad, since, it was actually kinda good, I liked it anyway : p
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Oct 21, 2009 9:46 AM

Aug 2009
I wouldn't class it as his best but definitely in the top ten.

SHE LIKES HAM!!!! that is all...
Oct 23, 2009 5:57 PM

Jun 2008
I really liked the movie a lot, it was very cute as expected.

My only two minor complaints with the film, is the fact that everyone was so unassuming about Ponyo turning into a human. And the ending felt too rushed and uninspired.

Still, I found it to be very entertaining overall, and plan to buy it on DVD when it comes out. Might not be the best Miyazaki has made, but it was still fun. :-)

Rail_Man said:
When will this be coming out on dvd in the states?

My guess would be sometime close to Christmas.
Dec 30, 2009 1:50 AM

Mar 2008
Lovely film, I'm so sad it's over already :(.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Jan 2, 2010 4:16 PM

Nov 2007
I watched the Japanese version. It was cute at times and fun to see their relationship develop and fully bloom. 8/10

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jan 26, 2010 6:04 AM

Oct 2007
for some reason i was laughing during the whole movie
Jan 27, 2010 9:39 PM
Nov 2007
I hate to be a stick in the mud but you guys must have seen a different movie than I did because the Ponyo I saw had a bad story, inconsistent characters, and forgettable music. For a Miyazaki movie it was bad but for a regular movie its alright. The art was nicely done as usual and there were some bits that were adorable. Honestly this is the worst Miyazaki movie I have ever seen (granted I have only seen five).

Maybe I am just the wierd one but of the five Miyazaki movies I have seen here is how I rank them from best to worst:

1. Spirited Away
2. Princess Monoke
3. Kiki's Delivery Service
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Ponyo
Jan 30, 2010 11:58 AM

Aug 2008
Miyazaki does it again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2010 1:43 PM
Jul 2008
Less than a week before it is finally being shown in UK cinemas. Even Turkey got it before us LOL. Actually I think they got it before the US too.

Please don't let us down again Optimum, no more slipping on this release.
Feb 12, 2010 2:14 PM

Jul 2008
It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember being a little mad that the ending was so very pat, especially with all the buildup. I told my folks how I felt, and they thought it was fine for a kids' movie. But just 'cause something is for kids doesn't mean it should suck.

I still gave it a 6 on account of the art and a few cute moments. I don't want to see it again though.
Mar 7, 2010 7:34 PM

Feb 2010
Very good movie well is from studio ghimbli of course!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another hit movie !!!!
Mar 7, 2010 8:33 PM

Dec 2009
I enjoyed it but I doubt I'll buy it. I gave 7/10.

Miyazaki borrowed a story that disney already made a movie of. I think that's a first for him? I'm not sure why he did this for his next movie. Doesn't seem like a progressive follow up to Howl's Moving Castle. Anyway, it seems he has two types of movies, one type is targeted towards children the others closer to adults. This was the former. I knew that going in.

To me this is really interesting how there can be two different takes on a fish wanting to be human. If you strap me to a chair and tell me to watch The Little Mermaid or Ponyo well I'd choose Ponyo. Though, it was lacking Sebastian (the crab) and I didn't think much of the test of love at the end.
Such junk...
Mar 15, 2010 1:31 AM

Jun 2009
Great movie,,,nice art work story,,,it was really great...

even though I really don't know what happened,,it's still great...XD

as expected from GHIBLI....
Mar 15, 2010 7:09 PM

Jun 2008
I know that if I was a child, I would have remembered this movie for forever. I'd probably want to be just like Ponyo's mother because she was so beautiful, and have a crush on her dad. I would still have been amazed at the art, and the water in general. I watched in dub fyi, and it was very well done and cute. I enjoyed it very much, although the ending felt like just a pat on the back then a big BOOM but it's for kids so that disappointment was shrugged off <3

8/10
Mar 25, 2010 4:57 PM

Feb 2008
I gave it a 7/10.

There's no doubting that the animation is the best thing about this movie. It's just absolutely stunning.

Other than that, the whole thing was... odd. First, Sousuke's mother, Lisa. Who gave this woman a license to drive? Leaving her five year old son in the house alone with a magical fish girl during the middle of a gigantic storm. Though she wasn't really much of a bad point. I kind of liked her craziness.

Second, for Miyazaki, who's a stickler for making movies about how precious nature is (Just look at Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa), I found it strange that there wasn't such a message in this movie. Fujimoto talks a little bit about how bad humans are for polluting the ocean, but nothing's really done about that.

The oddest thing I about this movie is all the character's attitudes. Even when the town is flooded, the moon starts falling toward the Earth, and satellites start falling from the sky, everyone just seems so...nonchalant about it. Like they don't even care all that much.

Apr 10, 2010 11:15 PM

Nov 2008
Great animation and a good story.

Sure it was no dramatic novel of an anime, but it was a cut enough story that Me, my 17 year old daughter and 10 year old son all enjoyed sitting and watching it together.
Anyone who wants to rip this movie apart should quit be so judgmental and just learn to sit back for an hour and enjoy a good story.

Sorry folks.... 10/10 on this one from me.
Jul 2, 2010 7:00 AM

Nov 2007
The movie's animation was really stunning. The story was great as well, but somehow it can't compare to Miyazaki's other stories for me. Not that this movie was bad. It had loveable characters, a sweet romance story and, like I said, wonderful art.
Yet, I probably expected more than I got.

8/10 from me.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does anybody else hate Lisa?

Angry_Anime_Nerd - Feb 9, 2021

18 by MichaelJackson »»
Feb 19, 11:31 PM

» Everything Wrong With Spirited Away

Manga_Etc - Apr 28, 2017

1 by Draconix814 »»
Jan 15, 2018 5:06 PM

» My review and dub discussion

JTurner - Aug 17, 2009

6 by Slyr3do0n »»
Apr 23, 2013 5:56 AM

» Release Today!

VelvetEris - Aug 14, 2009

23 by omotenium »»
Aug 17, 2009 1:28 PM

» Ponyo R2 DVD coming out in July

dbaranyi - Apr 2, 2009

6 by VelvetEris »»
Aug 12, 2009 9:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.