Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 29, 2013 1:05 AM

Oct 2008
Even after all is said and done, I still really want a season 3.

Open ending, but a wonderful last episode overall.
Jun 29, 2013 1:07 AM
Feb 2011
Well I'm glad to see that the votes are almost all positive... I guess the low ones are bitter Taichi fans?
Jun 29, 2013 2:29 AM

Nov 2009
damn ...
perfect ending for a perfect series. Although my heart hurts quite a bit when Chihaya showed some of the hints about her feelings for Arata but oh well >_<.
God, why friendzone? It's unfair.
Jun 29, 2013 3:02 AM

Sep 2012
Chapter 93 for those who want to read.

Last chapter of book 17 so only 4 more books out to 21 right now, not enough for another 25 episode season and not a good place to end a 13 episode season either.

As for people wondering about the translation of her declaration, it is very clear if anyone doubts it they can dump it into google translate:

よくわからない
よくわからない気持ち
でも私は一生
かるたが好きで
新が好きなんだ

I really don't understand
I really don't understand this feeling
But all my life
I've loved karuta and
I've loved Arata

I use the past tense and all my life while Crunchy's subs say for the rest of my life I will but that changes little of the meaning, just a slight difference of the verb tense at the end.
Jun 29, 2013 4:01 AM

Oct 2009
I don't know how to express how much i love this show, the only thing is that they need to stop wasting this amazing show on the romance bullshit! Who cares about that!
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Jun 29, 2013 4:10 AM
Oct 2010
One of the last years masterpieces, if you ask me, has ended, again.

If my memory serves me right, I think they cut some of Shinobu's backstory and the transition from the tournament to the training camp felt faster than in the manga. But what a place to end!

Time to "break the plastic" on volume 20 and continue with the story while praying we will see a season 3 some day and waiting for the OVA.
Jun 29, 2013 4:38 AM

Nov 2007
"Along with the president and other players from Mizusawa." Do I need to say more?! Sakurazawa has good eyes! She identified an abundance of talent the player himself is yet to realize!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 29, 2013 4:45 AM

May 2010
OH GOD SEASON 3 PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. I'd even kidnap all government officials and force them to sponsor this anime if that's what it takes.

This should be the anime of the year.
Jun 29, 2013 4:49 AM

Jun 2008
Beautiful Finale~ <3 Seems like there might be a third season coming in a few years. 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2013 5:34 AM

Feb 2010
beautiful ending aand...Chihaya confess that she loves Arata was sweet
plus her poem about him too,her life is full of Arata .__.
poor Taichi ,he was friendzoned

8/10 from me,the best of the season
hoping for season 3 but i think we must wait longer

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jun 29, 2013 6:14 AM

Dec 2011
Inside a room insolated
from the summer heat,
I feel bliss
upon hearin your words

Will i ever turn
the corner an find you?
I can only wait for
a dream or a miracle

*snif*
Jun 29, 2013 6:50 AM

Apr 2012
Chihayafuru II 25 = 15 characters = 15 multiple of 3 = Chihayafuru III confirmed.
Jun 29, 2013 7:18 AM

Apr 2013
I wish that there will be a season 3 too but they need more manga material for a season 3. So it'll be a year or so before a season 3 will be discussed I guess.
REALITY IS A CRAPPY GAME

Jun 29, 2013 7:20 AM

Feb 2013
Damn love triangles.....and that last moment was a weird way to go out. Overall I liked this episode, gave this season a 7/10
Jun 29, 2013 7:26 AM

Nov 2007
9/10 for me. Probably would of given it a 10 if it was more chihaya x Taichi. .. lol so NOT biased or anything. XD
Jun 29, 2013 7:29 AM

Oct 2010
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! ;______________________;
Jun 29, 2013 7:45 AM

Jan 2013
Wow... This was some episode! The character development for Ayase went up! That haiku of hers was heart felt more then what I get with the reading of the cards.

She's bit by bit becoming aware of her feelings which set me back with "finally" but at the same time the target was for Arata instead of Taichi. It was unsettling but also welcoming to this new stage of the story.

I sincerely hope there'll be a third season.
Jun 29, 2013 7:51 AM

Mar 2013
I love this series, I always will, and I am begging for season 3 as hard as the next person, but I still just cannot bring myself to ship Arata x Chihaya. The way I see the situation is this: Taichi got into karuta because of Chihaya, whereas Chihaya got into Arata because of karuta. I get that the show is about her passion for this game and how life-changing it was when Arata gave her something she could call her own, something she could do better than anyone else, but still. Taichi loves Chihaya for Chihaya, karuta or no, whereas all of Chihaya's feelings for Arata stem from karuta. It just doesn't seem...sincere. Anyways, all that love triangle stuff aside, this was a good episode but it teased at a season 3 so much that it would be a crying shame if it doesn't happen. Crossing all my fingers and toes until we hear some good news. :)
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jun 29, 2013 7:57 AM

Apr 2011
Great series, a really unexpected pleasure for myself personally. I did not expect to like it, but started watching while the first season was airing due to all the hype. I can't see them ending it like that, so I expect a 3rd season. If they do though, I'll be picking up the manga.
Jun 29, 2013 8:06 AM

Nov 2007
Imanza said:
Taichi loves Chihaya for Chihaya, karuta or no, whereas all of Chihaya's feelings for Arata stem from karuta. It just doesn't seem...sincere.

But if you think how meeting Arata changed her way of taking her life, it makes sense why she is so attracted to him. Remember that Arata was the first who ever acknowledged that she had potential in something. That actually had a greater impact on her than Karuta itself. Remember how her parents were always all over Chitose. I still remember the time she showed them the recognition certificate that she won in grade school by winning the Karuta tournament. That was the first ever thing she won and how everyone in her family ignored her. Back then, in such a young age, if there was anything that she needed the most, it was an acknowledgement. Arata was the only one who acknowledged her back then. What you find not very sincere, is something entirely different compared to how I see that. It is true that she found something she could call her own in Karuta, and Arata was the one who made it possible, but you can never ignore that Arata gave her a meaning to her life, which makes him so special to her. Maybe she loved him all along, without even realizing it.

I am now hurting myself. Because I have soft spots for Taichi. T_T
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 29, 2013 8:25 AM

Feb 2013
I'm still rooting for you Taichi!!!!! TT^TT
Great season, hope there will be a 3rd one....>.>
Jun 29, 2013 8:33 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
shanimebib said:
Imanza said:
Taichi loves Chihaya for Chihaya, karuta or no, whereas all of Chihaya's feelings for Arata stem from karuta. It just doesn't seem...sincere.

But if you think how meeting Arata changed her way of taking her life, it makes sense why she is so attracted to him. Remember that Arata was the first who ever acknowledged that she had potential in something. That actually had a greater impact on her than Karuta itself. Remember how her parents were always all over Chitose. I still remember the time she showed them the recognition certificate that she won in grade school by winning the Karuta tournament. That was the first ever thing she won and how everyone in her family ignored her. Back then, in such a young age, if there was anything that she needed the most, it was an acknowledgement. Arata was the only one who acknowledged her back then. What you find not very sincere, is something entirely different compared to how I see that. It is true that she found something she could call her own in Karuta, and Arata was the one who made it possible, but you can never ignore that Arata gave her a meaning to her life, which makes him so special to her. Maybe she loved him all along, without even realizing it.

I am now hurting myself. Because I have soft spots for Taichi. T_T

I think Taichi has gained so much fans in this series. We pretty much all feel like Kanade, rooting for Taichi forever.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 29, 2013 9:31 AM

Mar 2009
hoping for season 3! Make it happen plss!

Tachi x Chihaya till the end!
Jun 29, 2013 10:05 AM
Jan 2010
mayukachan said:

On the romance aspect, I fully believe that Chihaya does not see Arata romantically. The way she said it groups Karuta and Arata as two things she loves but it's more on the platonic side.

If Chihaya didn't like Arata in that sense, would she blush around him? Would she write poems about him? Would Kana become worried that Taichi won't have a chance with her? No. None of those would be a problem if she liked him platonically.

You don't see Chihaya blushing and writing romantic poems on Karuta, do you?
Jun 29, 2013 10:43 AM
Feb 2013
too bad we were left wonder as to whom Chihaya would go for, Arata or Taichi.
Jun 29, 2013 10:51 AM

May 2012
She finally said it she loved Arata >.<
Jun 29, 2013 11:24 AM
Feb 2011
v3catsxanime said:

If Chihaya didn't like Arata in that sense, would she blush around him? Would she write poems about him? Would Kana become worried that Taichi won't have a chance with her? No. None of those would be a problem if she liked him platonically.

Yes, thank you. The signs of love have been there all along. Now that she's finally admitted her feelings, people still want to say that she doesn't love him romantically? People are just flat out in denial right now.
Jun 29, 2013 11:33 AM

Oct 2011
Dat poem TwT. Poor Taichi. I am still rooting for you !!!!!! OMG first season opening theme song. The memories. I want season 3!!!
Jun 29, 2013 11:44 AM

May 2012
enjoyed the series

Really great anime overall

10/10
Jun 29, 2013 11:57 AM

Jul 2011
nerdsonfire1 said:
v3catsxanime said:

Yes, thank you. The signs of love have been there all along. Now that she's finally admitted her feelings, people still want to say that she doesn't love him romantically? People are just flat out in denial right now.

Taichi fanatics
Jun 29, 2013 12:19 PM

Apr 2012
I liked the 1st season better.
Still, I'll give this one 8/10, it was a good one.

And I'm surprised to see that many Taichi fan(atic)s, he had enough opportunities in the 1st season, he didn't go for it, let the love be for the ones were it's mutuals and not the unrequited.
Jun 29, 2013 12:25 PM

Jul 2012
ainky said:
nerdsonfire1 said:
v3catsxanime said:

Taichi fanatics

Yeah I like Taichi. So what?
I don't think blushing represents love at the most o.o She has blushed around Taichi and others before too. I'm just saying, the love she was talking could be referring to a platonic kind of love.
Jun 29, 2013 12:36 PM

Jan 2011
i thought season 1 was slightly better
7/10
Jun 29, 2013 12:52 PM

Aug 2011
This was a great show to wait for every week and overall a nice watch. I will miss my weekly karuta.
Seriously thrilled for a third season.

9/10
Jun 29, 2013 1:11 PM

May 2010
I forgot that it was the last episode actually... I want a 3rd season! I know it has substance, they can make it easily Hooray!

10/10:D
Jun 29, 2013 2:03 PM

Feb 2010
My heart broke when she said she loved Arata. :(
I'm a Taichi fan.
Non the less, I still give this anime a 9/10, purely on the basis there was no real ending. (Yet)
NumbJun 29, 2013 2:13 PM
You're still the one that I love, the only one I dream of~
Jun 29, 2013 2:17 PM

Feb 2013
we finally get to know chihaya feeling toward arata...and arata c'mon man please just sit the fuck down and talk more with her...lol
Jun 29, 2013 2:44 PM

Jul 2010
wakka9ca said:
Taichi has potential. If he can master his emotions and remain calm, he can easily become a top Class A player. It's interesting how his play style is in fact very similar to Arata's.

I agree. I really hope to see some Taichi VS Arata next season, and possibly Taichi winning. Also, Taichi is the most developed character so far, so I kinda think that he will get a BIG SPOTLIGHT in the future.
Jun 29, 2013 3:55 PM

Oct 2012
ERMAGERSH!!!! So good!!! Loved loved loved this season. Loved the poem, and loved Arata telling her he always goes back to the room they played karata in together. Dang, there better be a third season.
Jun 29, 2013 4:00 PM

Jul 2012
Chihayafuru seriously needs a third season >o<
Yay for Arata. Ganbatte Taichi! I actually liked both, so I don't really mind who Chihaya ends up with, I find both pairings cute <3
Jun 29, 2013 5:25 PM
Jan 2010
mayukachan said:
ainky said:
nerdsonfire1 said:
v3catsxanime said:

Taichi fanatics

Yeah I like Taichi. So what?
I don't think blushing represents love at the most o.o She has blushed around Taichi and others before too. I'm just saying, the love she was talking could be referring to a platonic kind of love.

Well, blushing is only a part of it. There's still the poem. She writes that hearing Arata's voice brings her bliss in that lonely room. I don't see her writing about feeling happy when Taichi visits her in the hospital.
Jun 29, 2013 5:51 PM

Aug 2012
ainky said:
nerdsonfire1 said:
v3catsxanime said:

Taichi fanatics

Maybe read some of the "fanatics'" posts and try to have an actual discussion before declaring they're "in denial"
AlexTheRiot said:

You have to keep in mind she said that after saying she'll always love karuta. She loves karuta. Arata introduced her to karuta. Therefore she loves Arata. For introducing her to the love of her life. And she reveres him for his own love of karuta and wants to understand her own karuta enough to be able to play as relaxed and happy as he does. I don't think she has a romantic thought in her head, really.
Like I said, we've never heard a romantic thought out of Chihaya's head. Saying she loves him romantically because she said "I'll always love Arata" is basically like saying she loves karuta romantically, because in the same thought she said "I'll always love karuta"

I mean think about it. If you had were having romantic feelings for someone that you never see and rarely talk to, with no solidified relationship, would you declare that you'll "always love" that person? Even oblivious Chihaya would know it's not prudent to think that way about someone she doesn't have a deep emotional connection with. Therefore, it would make more sense to think she was indicating her love for Arata and Karuta go hand in hand.

And in regards to the poems, they basically are about karuta. About the time in that old apartment room, where she was captivated by karuta, and Arata's passion for karuta. She wants to develop that same passion to become worthy of receiving his.

And Kana is all about love poems, so of course she is going to react to that. Doesn't mean she can see what's inside Chihaya's heart.
AlexTheRiotJun 29, 2013 5:55 PM
Jun 29, 2013 6:38 PM

May 2012
Tieria-Shirin said:
I'll be damn well disappointed if there is no season three. I want to see Chihaya become queen and see Arata and her get together as a couple. *squeals*

I really love both Arata's and Chihaya's passion to play Karuta because of each other.

i agree wholeheartedly!

i've also basically convinced myself that the end scene where arata tells his manager that he's not leaving yet is a symbolic hint that chihayafuru is not over yet and a season 3 is coming. xD
Jun 29, 2013 6:43 PM

Jul 2012
AlexTheRiot said:
Maybe read some of the "fanatics'" posts and try to have an actual discussion before declaring they're "in denial"

Thank you. xD And I agree with what you said in your post.

I have to add this quote from Tumblr, to add onto my argument about the interpretation of the word "love":
Please calm down. Chihaya used "好き”, [suki], which translates as “to like" or “fondness" rather than “love". You can ‘suki’ a person, but you can also ‘suki’ watermelon.

But let's not argue further on this please >o<
Jun 29, 2013 6:58 PM
Jan 2010
AlexTheRiot said:
ainky said:
nerdsonfire1 said:
v3catsxanime said:

Taichi fanatics

AlexTheRiot said:

You have to keep in mind she said that after saying she'll always love karuta. She loves karuta. Arata introduced her to karuta. Therefore she loves Arata. For introducing her to the love of her life. And she reveres him for his own love of karuta and wants to understand her own karuta enough to be able to play as relaxed and happy as he does. I don't think she has a romantic thought in her head, really.
Like I said, we've never heard a romantic thought out of Chihaya's head. Saying she loves him romantically because she said "I'll always love Arata" is basically like saying she loves karuta romantically, because in the same thought she said "I'll always love karuta"

I mean think about it. If you had were having romantic feelings for someone that you never see and rarely talk to, with no solidified relationship, would you declare that you'll "always love" that person? Even oblivious Chihaya would know it's not prudent to think that way about someone she doesn't have a deep emotional connection with. Therefore, it would make more sense to think she was indicating her love for Arata and Karuta go hand in hand.

And in regards to the poems, they basically are about karuta. About the time in that old apartment room, where she was captivated by karuta, and Arata's passion for karuta. She wants to develop that same passion to become worthy of receiving his.

And Kana is all about love poems, so of course she is going to react to that. Doesn't mean she can see what's inside Chihaya's heart.

I don't think you understand the meaning of the poem. The room she was talking about was her hospital room, not the room where she first played Karuta in. Arata was with her in the apartment, so she hadn't been alone at the time. There's a difference.

And Kana specifically said to Taichi that Chihaya won't stay clueless forever, which obviously means that Chihaya has started liking Arata in the romantic way.

People should just accept what has happened rather than try to deny it.
Jun 29, 2013 7:18 PM

Sep 2012
Suki to a person means more than suki to a watermelon unless you REALLY like watermelon in an unhealthy way. It confuses them in the reverse as well, a Japanese co worker once said he loves the CEO of our company which got a few chuckles.

You can instead say ai shiteru, renai... There are other words but to a person or to a something there is a different meaning for suki. Arata ga suki means more than karuta ga suki, but it was interesting that she didn't say it to him.
Jun 29, 2013 7:20 PM

Aug 2010
Great way to wrap things up. This show got really good in the last few episodes.
Jun 29, 2013 7:31 PM

Sep 2012
Mezz said:
Didn't she say 'Arata ga suki nanda'?

Yes. That means I like or I love just like suki desu.
Jun 29, 2013 7:59 PM

Sep 2012
^^^ Ai shite imasu would seal it... as it is, there is still the possibility that she just means she likes him like a card game though honestly I'd say she really does love karuta LOL
Jun 29, 2013 8:23 PM

Aug 2012
v3catsxanime said:

I don't think you understand the meaning of the poem. The room she was talking about was her hospital room, not the room where she first played Karuta in. Arata was with her in the apartment, so she hadn't been alone at the time. There's a difference.

And Kana specifically said to Taichi that Chihaya won't stay clueless forever, which obviously means that Chihaya has started liking Arata in the romantic way.

People should just accept what has happened rather than try to deny it.

I will eat crow in regards to the first poem, I guess I was more so trying to use the second one to tie in her being captivated and effectively wanting to reach his level of passion for karuta(turn the corner and find him) I forgot that the first one had said isolated so I just went with it, but I honestly think it could still be said that her captivation at hearing his words on the phone speaks to the infatuation she developed due to him teaching her karuta and his passion for karuta. Everytime she hears his voice, it's like her karuta god speaking to her.

lol why does the fact that Kana said that "obviously mean that she has started liking him in a romantic way"? The way I see it, she sees at most the infatuation she has for him(not understanding the foundation behind it) and can assume that someday, when she stops being clueless, that infatuation will grow and she may want a relationship with Arata. That's why she's warning Taichi now. If Chihaya's clueless to all things love, than she doesn't understand the meaning of her feelings for Arata at this point. If she herself doesn't understand them, how can we just assume we do? And like I said, it isn't like Kana can see what's in Chihaya's heart.

Ya know, it's pretty annoying trying to have a discussion when you basically keep dealing absolutes by saying "if you perceived it differently than I, than you're just in denial." You aren't the all knowing god of anime analysis.
AlexTheRiotJun 29, 2013 8:38 PM
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2013

138 by bassyey »»
Mar 16, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2013

160 by fathandz »»
Feb 17, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2013

136 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2013

181 by fathandz »»
Feb 11, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 10, 2013

110 by fathandz »»
Feb 7, 9:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.