Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2013 10:36 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Eye transfer?? Ugh.

Little Arata is cute I guess. Poor Yorunami though ;.;

Dem cliffhangers.
Jun 24, 2013 12:03 PM

Jan 2008
The series is driven too much by the story that one character (loser) hates other because he lost on a track event.
That's understandable that it happens in real life as well. But it is just plain boring: the loser is always raging and cries about wanting to kill....
Jun 24, 2013 12:30 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Pretty sure that's not how eye transplants work, but suspension of disbelief. (But no seriously...his eye was wounded but not out of his eye socket, so how the hell can Akachi put his eye in Kadowaki's eye socket?!?!)

I'm sure it made more sense in the manga, but since I haven't read it, it seems really, almost random, that Akachi would give his eye to a complete stranger ._. And yeah, I've had enough of Kadowaki's angry yelling...
Jun 24, 2013 12:39 PM

May 2013
Good episode. Aww, Arata loves Kotoha. That eye transfering thing was freaky.
Jun 24, 2013 12:41 PM

Feb 2013
Well it looks as if we finally have our answer: They are totally going for an anime-original ending.

However, this was a pretty faithful adaptation of Yorunami's fight with Arata. To be honest, I always thought Yorunami's background to be the weakest of the 12 Shinsho. He had a mother who couldn't seem to communicate well with bad parenting skills and he developed a mother complex because of it and continued to try to live up to her impossible standards. Yet, only to find that she loved him all along and just didn't/couldn't show it. It's pretty cliche as far as anime and manga go.

Where the story fall apart however once again, is with Kadowaki. Yes, the guy is a little annoying to begin with in the manga too, but the anime seems to be determined to make him way more whiny then necessary. His confrontation Akachi didn't have nearly as much impact as it should have had. Kadowaki didn't sound so whiny and actually gained Akachi's respect rather than simply his sympathy. Akachi offers him his eye, because with his eye, Kadowaki can see things that no other human could possibly see and Akachi give it to him as a leg up rather than a handout. (Also, the animators are being a little lazy, since Kadowaki's right eye is now supposed to always look like Akachi's since it IS Akachi's. It doesn't magically go back and forth!)

Originally, Kadowaki never shows up during the Yorunami arc, but I can see what they are trying to do by having the series end on a Arata/Kadowaki fight, but it's really a shame since this series was doing well staying true to the source material. However, this again will just leave a bunch of gaping holes that can only be answered if one reads the manga.

This episode was okay, I give it a 7/10. Next week is the final episode. Will this show be able to step out of mediocrity? I hope so.
Jun 24, 2013 12:49 PM

Feb 2013
tingy said:
Pretty sure that's not how eye transplants work, but suspension of disbelief. (But no seriously...his eye was wounded but not out of his eye socket, so how the hell can Akachi put his eye in Kadowaki's eye socket?!?!)

I'm sure it made more sense in the manga, but since I haven't read it, it seems really, almost random, that Akachi would give his eye to a complete stranger ._. And yeah, I've had enough of Kadowaki's angry yelling...

In the manga, Akachi plucks the entire eyeball out with his hayagami. It's not as clear in the anime version, but yeah, he took out the entire eye. The way he took out his own eye and put it in Kadowaki's socket is that simple there too. I chalk it up to the fact they live in "magical land".

As for the entire scene itself, yes it is pretty watered down in comparison. That scene is actually a turning point for Kadowaki, but here they just made him sound more petulant.
Jun 24, 2013 1:02 PM

Nov 2012
First episode I can remember that Arata wasn't a sobbing pile, so that alone made it fairly decent. Fight with water sho seemed to resolve faster than expected, but it wasn't bad. Can sense the love building between Kotoha and Arata. Of course Kadowaki had to come out of left field and start raging all over the place somewhat ruining my good mood.

Not sure if im happy or a little disappointed it's over next week. Like the concept of the show, but it feels like it really needed another 13 episodes to shine. Ah well, perhaps the last episode will end on a high note.
Jun 24, 2013 2:13 PM

Nov 2008
This anime is so bad in so much way... I should read the manga instead.

The eye thing was morbid. "Oh hey I don't care about my eye, I just want to beat that f*cking Arata because I loses on a race, so take my eye BECAUSE OF A RACE." - Kadowaki is a retard.

Hinohara is too calm for the situations. O_o

And this is how another Yuu Watase adaption was ruined.
Jun 24, 2013 3:16 PM

Feb 2013
I'm surprised Arata didn't even waver one bit during the time travel jutsu he was put under :O

Poor Yorunami that kid just wanted to make his mom acknowledge him and he even made a fake doll of her...
Jun 24, 2013 3:45 PM

Feb 2011
Lol Akachi inserted that eye in Kadowaki like he was Jesus -_-

Clash time next week I guess

This series are screaming for a second season , I will start reading the manga anyway.
Jun 24, 2013 3:59 PM

Feb 2012
Kadowaki fuck off bro, go scream somewhere else.
Jun 24, 2013 5:39 PM

Nov 2007
So Hoshi-san's character's mother is the reason? Or just his fear of going against his mother, who acted strict in front of him?

After losing an eye, that guy gave the eye to him. He eventually got involved in that fight, who Hoshi-san's character lost, but got forgotten and reappeared at the end. Hinohara vs. him next ep.?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 24, 2013 6:30 PM

Oct 2011
Ramkec said:
Kadowaki fuck off bro, go scream somewhere else.
God this. Could he more annoying? -_-
What ever awesome-ness happens in an episode, him showing up just ruins it for me.

I really like Yorunami's arc. It was so sad.

I wish Kanate would become Arata's Zokushou and they would fight together. Always having Arata fight and the others just uselessly standing there is frustrating. Especially when Kotoha is like another Kagome.
Jun 24, 2013 7:21 PM

Jul 2012
This anime would be a lot better if it was adapted from the novel better.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Jun 24, 2013 7:22 PM

Jan 2011
Of course it was Kotoha's voice that saved him from Yorunami's magic by reminding him that there was someone else he loved. And of course Arata, like most shounen heroes, is not going to tell her that without another 15 or 20 episodes going by, even though he realizes it himself now. Come on man, when presented with a yamato nadeshiko who loves you, it's time to step up to the plate.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jun 24, 2013 8:28 PM

Feb 2013
Erzaa said:
Ramkec said:

I really like Yorunami's arc. It was so sad.

I wish Kanate would become Arata's Zokushou and they would fight together. Always having Arata fight and the others just uselessly standing there is frustrating. Especially when Kotoha is like another Kagome.

If you think Yorunami's story was sad, then the other shinshos' stories are going to break your heart. I think Yorunami's is actually probably the mildest of them.

As for Kanete...well, um...read the manga and you'll find out for yourself. :D
He develops some as well, as the story goes on.
Jun 24, 2013 9:04 PM
Sep 2012
Good episode. I lol'd a bit at everyone having that touching moment at the end while forgetting about emo douche Kadowaki.

"Bonds are what I cherish the most."

"NOW YOU DIE ARATA!"

LOL
IconicJun 24, 2013 10:24 PM
Jun 24, 2013 11:01 PM

Jan 2013
This episode was good.
Jun 25, 2013 4:06 AM

Sep 2012
Feel Sorry For Some Emo Guys: The Animation

Angry guy comes in at the end and screams some more. It's almost like the only word in his vocabulary is HINOHARA!

Only one more episode of this drag, good riddance
Jun 25, 2013 4:31 AM

Jul 2011
I have a feeling that when this show is over, I'll have to read the manga from the first chapter.
Jun 25, 2013 9:22 AM

Jul 2010
So now we have a mama's boy villain and a daddy hater villain, to go along with the dead lover villain that is now a "hanger on". What's next, a brother hater? Brother lover? Siscon?

Sorry, but the motivations of the characters in this story are just lame. The only redeeming quality in the show is Kotoha.
Jun 25, 2013 10:40 AM

Aug 2011
tingy said:

I found that that scene was a moment of unintentional comedy. I mean he just popped out his own eye and just popped it in Kadowaki's socket. Because it's absolutely impossible to see why even bother taking out his own eye. I laughed pretty hard at that point, the sound effects made my laughing worse.

But anyways, pretty solid episode this time around as well. I felt like I've heard a backstory like Yorunami's before, but it was still nice. The battle was nice too, especially the time reversal thing.

Cliffhanger, who will win? Or will it be a tie.
Jun 25, 2013 6:41 PM

May 2011
Aww it was actually pretty touching to watch Yorunami finally realize how much his mother truly cared for him. It was just such a nice moment... until that angry kid came in raging again. Smh this guy.

And oh yeahhh Arata told his mom there's someone he loves now. Its too bad there's aren't more time for this to develop with just one episode left to go.
Jun 25, 2013 7:31 PM

Jun 2012
Bahaha wtf with that eye transfer? FUCK IT IT'S ANIME!!
Jun 25, 2013 9:51 PM

Jul 2010
I won't try to find any logic in this but ... hell Akachi you're the new messiah.
Jun 26, 2013 3:44 AM
Mar 2013
we can feel is rushed and just one ep more left
this ep wasnt bad, only thing spoil kadawaki nonsense and looking behaving so lame lol
Jun 26, 2013 6:04 AM

Mar 2010
I did not really enjoy this episode. It has a boring ...cliche.
3/5.
and I can sense an anime original ending. Which I really hope for it NOT to happen :|
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2013 12:18 PM
Jul 2012
How the hell do they expect to end this show in 1 more episode, I'm actually kinda enjoying the show though.
"
Jun 26, 2013 4:08 PM

May 2011
I'm sure as not a shock to anyone, a character with maternal issues who's mother isn't even alive and who did care about him. Yorunami trying to trick Arata straight up after some soup was pretty funny. xD;
Jun 26, 2013 10:33 PM

Dec 2011
This episode felt really rushed. And Kadowaki is annoying as always.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2013 10:33 PM

Jan 2011
Continues to get worse and worse each week.

Kadowaki ruins this show. There are other points that make this show fall flat but him and this stupid revenge crap is horrible. This bitch really that insane over a race. The foundation this story is built on is retarded. Would of been so much better if it was truly an adventure of restoring the princess instead of this crap.
Jun 26, 2013 11:29 PM

Feb 2013
fiore777 said:
I'm sure as not a shock to anyone, a character with maternal issues who's mother isn't even alive and who did care about him. Yorunami trying to trick Arata straight up after some soup was pretty funny. xD;

What they didn't say that's pretty funny, is that all the zokushou and probably even Kannagi knew that Yorunami's mother could have been alive. Why?

IZEROII said:
Continues to get worse and worse each week.

Kadowaki ruins this show. There are other points that make this show fall flat but him and this stupid revenge crap is horrible. This bitch really that insane over a race. The foundation this story is built on is retarded. Would of been so much better if it was truly an adventure of restoring the princess instead of this crap.

Actually, the original story is more about Arata and him going on an adventure journey to save the princess and protect Amawakani by going against the 12 Shinsho. The story between him and Kadowaki is more of a subplot that while prominent, doesn't overpower Arata's journey of self-discovery or his mission to win the Battle of Submission and right the wrongs of Amawakani.
Jun 27, 2013 6:37 AM

May 2010
i poked out your eye have mine, nah its cool take, one of the most wtf monets
Jun 27, 2013 8:29 AM

Jun 2008
I just wish Arata will turn and tell Kadowaki. "Seriously dude, shut the fuck up, it was just a fucking race, get over it."

Hybridbloodszak said:
Bahaha wtf with that eye transfer? FUCK IT IT'S ANIME!!

And people thought Naruto eye transfer was bad, lol.
Jun 27, 2013 6:18 PM

Jun 2012
I didn't know his eye came out so easily, and can be placed in so easily as well. .

Jun 27, 2013 10:01 PM

Sep 2007
Here comes the "anime original" ending....

And I'm sorry....bad I just HAD to LOL when they included the *squish*squish* sound effects of the "eye transfer"

Curse them though...They weren't even close to Kugura's (let alone Yataka's) arc even though they appeared in the opening....What a major letdown
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jun 28, 2013 12:46 PM

Oct 2011
Cool Battle. Hinohara loves Kotoha XD. Kadowaki joins the battle.

I totally forgot about Kadowaki when they revealed Yoroumi's past and Hinohara's resolve. He ruined the happy moment.

Is there a possibility of a second season? Was showing the other Sho( Kugura and Yakka) a teaser? I have a feeling they will appear in the end of the last episode.
Jun 28, 2013 8:24 PM
Aug 2011
Aaaaaah just taking your eye and sticking it into someone else's socket and then the sound it made. That's just not right.

So much for the "losing something in order to see what you have" speech, because in the end the only one who lost something was Akachi lololol.
Jul 2, 2013 3:04 PM

Sep 2009
This episode is too fast. But I like it ^^
It's just that, I can't feel the love of Arata to Kotoha :P
Apr 11, 2014 12:58 AM

Nov 2011
3/5

We are at the end, but the story does not uplifts, Arata with his jokes effect does not improve the situation; Kadowaki worse with his input during the clash.
No one takes into consideration that the opponent useless! XD
Combat too short.
Cute only the moment at the end of the fight, when Arata realizes she made one more step on the ladder that leads him mature age ^ ^
Jan 27, 2015 1:23 AM

Jul 2008
Too many emo guys with wacked out families. Kadowaki can go away now...
Jan 24, 2020 5:27 PM

Jul 2016
Hatsuyuki said:

This series are screaming for a second season , I will start reading the manga anyway.

Who would want a second season of this tripe...
Jan 24, 2020 5:53 PM

Feb 2011
Vindicater said:
Hatsuyuki said:

Imagine quoting a 7 year old post.
Jan 25, 2020 6:22 PM

Jul 2016
Hatsuyuki said:
Vindicater said:

Imagine quoting a 7 year old post.
Why imagine where reality is staring you in the face?
Oct 19, 2022 4:59 PM
Aug 2013
I enjoy the fighting without fighting so much. Maybe it's the first time I saw an anime like this but it really connected with me. It makes me think about the relationship I have with my parents.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arata Kangatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2013

81 by White_Alice »»
Jun 20, 2023 3:19 PM

Poll: » Arata Kangatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2013

53 by White_Alice »»
Jun 20, 2023 3:18 PM

Poll: » Arata Kangatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2013

100 by White_Alice »»
Jun 16, 2023 1:21 AM

Poll: » Arata Kangatari Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2013

43 by shilvio »»
Oct 16, 2022 10:31 PM

Poll: » Arata Kangatari Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2013

33 by Vindicater »»
Jan 23, 2020 2:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.