Forum Settings
Forums
The Garden of Words
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Apr 30, 2016 5:11 AM

Mar 2016
The animation was amazing a strong 9/10 but the story was quite disappointing

Then only scene that struck me as good was when both of them were crying on the stairs

7/10
May 3, 2016 11:06 PM

Apr 2012
Wow the feels this made me have and the soundtrack especially in the end when they were on the stairwell just so much emotion and that last line he said in the movie implies he would go back for her made it even more better add in the great animation 8/10 for me.
Toshihiro_ChrisJun 6, 2016 3:39 AM
May 13, 2016 9:12 PM
Mar 2012
That rain, bare feet, shoes, detailed interiors.
They did the story well in 46mins. Art is fantastically hd. Music mostly, tho sometimes too prominent/over-dramatic.
Yukino & Takao both had detailed personalities & goals/troubles. Tho the sensei bullying, taste disorder etc should've had more elaboration to feel real or understandable. Hence the main shortcoming is the 46min length.
Like how symbolism in rain & weather played a part. Maple leaves in the garden became Takao's design inspiration. Staying stuck (in shelter), vs learning to walk again. Lots of subtlety in imagery, dialogue, & the beautiful Hanka responses.
Lol seems his mom broke up with another bf & came back.
Takao's determination is admirable, though skipping classes is questionable. Didn't like how Yukino stayed secretive, even about her teacher role, and later rejecting his confession by using "sensei" as a shield, making Takao feel tricked.
Beautiful ending how Takao will find her again, when he's ready.

Saw dub first in a Con before, sounded natural, but was in a loud open area with washed out projection, so understood nothing. Finally watched in sub lol & now i see the importance of "words" in the title.

Just before I finished Neko Everything Flows. Same Hanazawa VA as a girl with depressing life. Strangely felt like it could be the same character. Though Neko was a lot sadder, while Niwa was more the bittersweet romance.
gophercgMay 13, 2016 9:18 PM
Jun 5, 2016 11:33 AM

Jul 2013
I'm really impressed. Just 46 minutes of footage has managed to build up a beautiful movie with a great art and animation, a powerful soundtrack and stunning and beautiful scenaries, who all contribute to the story, while creating a sweet and heartwarning relationship between the two main characters even when we don't know even their proper background apart of some details mentioned. I don't really care about the age of the characters (who only make their drama more tragic) and I even cried at the end.
Really liked how even that Takao and Yukino get separated at the end of the film, he doesn't give up and promises to meet her again in the future. I like those kinds of endings who let the viewer imagine the possible outcome of the movie.

Also, Hanazawa's voice acting at the end of the movie when she breaks down and thanks Takao for saving her was totally perfect. She is a great seiyuu without any doubt.
Jun 12, 2016 4:49 PM

Nov 2015
That was beautiful! The visuals are stunning. Too bad it's only 45 mins long.

Jun 13, 2016 9:20 AM

Apr 2016
I wonder about the ending,if the boy ever meet with her again.
The music,the animation,the story telling was amazing consider it was a merely 45 mins film and things like this keep the love for anime alive :)
Jun 22, 2016 2:17 PM

Jun 2016
Saudades said:
^x2 Translation for the last line (credit to a guy on Nyaa):

Hope they include it in the official BD release, it's quite a good line to close the film.

Thank you for translating that final scene!
Happy ending at last!

Lots of things remained unsaid though... for example.. what's up with her lost capability of tasting anything other than beer and chocolate?
and in general, on both protagonists background we only have few details which leave other questions.. but in 45 minutes, I guess this eventually was the purpose of the creator even if I don't agree that much.

The scenery was overwhelmingly amazing *-*
yukigreinJun 22, 2016 2:47 PM
Jun 28, 2016 3:31 AM

Dec 2014
Kawaii_yukigrein said:
Saudades said:

Hope they include it in the official BD release, it's quite a good line to close the film.

Thank you for translating that final scene!
Happy ending at last!

Lots of things remained unsaid though... for example.. what's up with her lost capability of tasting anything other than beer and chocolate?
and in general, on both protagonists background we only have few details which leave other questions.. but in 45 minutes, I guess this eventually was the purpose of the creator even if I don't agree that much.

The scenery was overwhelmingly amazing *-*

Her incapability of being able to taste anything other than beer and chocolate is an allegory like the extended metaphor of her not being "able to walk" of her immaturity despite physically and by age being an adult. Beer is an alcoholic drink and chocolate bars are sweets for kids. That was her key plot point, she's trying to reintegrate be a functioning adult again and it's Takao (who is a shoemaker...see the metaphor) that helps her again. The end shows both individuals starting a new path without each other because they're now beginning their own journeys after having each other as crutches and in the future they'll return to meet again.
Jul 2, 2016 12:28 PM

Jun 2016
[quote=Kirik0h message=46679547]
Kawaii_yukigrein said:
Saudades said:

Her incapability of being able to taste anything other than beer and chocolate is an allegory like the extended metaphor of her not being "able to walk" of her immaturity despite physically and by age being an adult. Beer is an alcoholic drink and chocolate bars are sweets for kids. That was her key plot point, she's trying to reintegrate be a functioning adult again and it's Takao (who is a shoemaker...see the metaphor) that helps her again. The end shows both individuals starting a new path without each other because they're now beginning their own journeys after having each other as crutches and in the future they'll return to meet again.

Thank you so much! Loved it! I'll watch it again soon :)
Jul 19, 2016 10:58 AM

Apr 2009
The visual is orgasm.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2016 6:42 AM

Aug 2013
I think that this was an incredible animation movie :) first I refused to watch it because a love story between a student and a teacher didn't inspire me however after seeing the animation I have to accept that I got thrilled.
Aug 3, 2016 7:42 AM

Jan 2016
WHAT! smh she didn't let my boy smash! 0/10 smh
Aug 3, 2016 7:44 AM
Nov 2015
The art is just god-tier.
Aug 8, 2016 11:49 PM

May 2013
Storyline is typical haha but still romantic and I'm happy it played out exactly how cliché as I thought it'd be where they keep going back to that same meeting spot until they progressively fall in love lololol.

7/10 for the storyline. I LOVED how poetic the script was since the very beginning of the movie <333333333

+1 for the absolutely breathtaking and BEAUTIFUL animation, literally in every single scene. Beautiful beautiful animation. I was in awe at everything. The rain, the leaves, the sky, the cityscape, the characters' emotions-- everything.

8/10 overall. Worth the watch. Did not disappoint ^^
Aug 9, 2016 3:10 AM

Jun 2013
The imagery, animation, colors, soundtrack and voice acting were all amazing. It was so beautiful, if only there were an Anime series that maintained this sort of quality but I'm sure it would be expensive.

It was an interesting story. I'm glad it wasn't sappy romance and more on how to "walk on their own" although the kid did fall in love with her and said he would see her eventually, I guess after he graduates, I liked the chemistry between them. Too short in my opinion but I liked it overall.
臭い-
Sep 1, 2016 1:14 PM
Aug 2015
The art is just... beautiful and the story quite touching. But just so short! xD
Well spend 40 minutes of my life.

Did he just leave the shoes there?!? WHY, they're so amazing, mail her them, PLS!!!
Sep 17, 2016 12:37 AM

Feb 2015
Looks like a mature show to me. First, i really like the thing which they sometimes said in the show "I was trying to walk here" lol i thought she couldn't walk in the past cause of some illness or something but actually it has a different meaning. The story was executed very well imo. even tho the ending was pretty cliche in my perspective but it actually looked great. It's sad that they didn't ended up as a couple tho...but they will eventually become a couple. cause in the after-credit scene, the boy said; "Maybe i was trying to walk too here and maybe i still am trying. So when i can walk further, i will try to go to see here" if i'm not wrong.

well, i think it's a bit weird too if they become a couple. The guy is 15 years old and the girl is 27 years old. looks kinda weird but at the same time, the guy, in my perspective, he looks 18 or 19 to me. He looks mature basically.

And the girl's problem or backstory was actually really interesting cause usually the one who got bullied is Student but this one is Teacher who got bullied which is pretty interesting to me or something rare in my eyes. In terms of character, i really like the girl. I thought she was more like a mature girl who sometimes get angry/serious, or something like that. y'know what i mean. but the girl is actually kind, pure, calm and cool or more like "fragile"

for the boy, the only thing that i like about him is that his passion and his matureness (lol) which cause by his daily lives. the scene where he was cooking while the girl was cleaning the table on the girl's house, that part is my favorite one. in that scene, never even once i thought the boy is a highschool student. never.

overall, i think this is a great romance story which filled with calmness, great character interaction, decent character development, and maturity involves in school and daily lives. i like the mixed emotion in this series or maybe i should said the atmosphere of this series. The first half the atmosphere was more into a calm and relaxing atmosphere. but the second half, slowly, step by step it went pretty serious until the conclusion of the story. and btw, did he really left the shoes in that place in the after credit scene ?!

What about the animation ? my thoughts about it ? i have no words about it. big props to the animators. they didn't even used black line for the character design which is a really really good desicion imo. that way, it looks more realistic but at the same time, it still has this anime vibe or looks like an anime. ahh and btw, i love the poem-like words in the beginning of this show.
anyway, i enjoyed it.

9/10 from me.
it's a nice warm-up before watching Kimi no Na wa lol xD
YizelTroSep 17, 2016 12:42 AM
Sep 18, 2016 8:17 AM

Feb 2016
It's decent and feels 😭😭😭
Oct 1, 2016 6:48 AM

Jun 2015
Just watched it on a japanese festival thingy here in Croatia and I thought it was beautiful. This movie will always hold a special place in my heart. 10/10
Nov 3, 2016 7:20 AM

Oct 2016
The raining animation was so beautiful. The storyline was good as well.
I give 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2016 7:22 AM

Sep 2016
Animation was one of the best I've seen.. Full of feels 9/10 by me.
Nov 7, 2016 11:18 PM

Mar 2012
One of the most creative and poetic animation and script in any show/movie I've ever seen. I cannot put in words how amazing this all came together in such a short period of time. For the first time in a very long time, I am completely stunned by what I just watched. Gotta love that feeling you get when finish watching a masterpiece in your eyes.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Nov 7, 2016 11:28 PM

Aug 2016
Tbh, the story was crap but the animation and art killed it.
Nov 20, 2016 5:10 AM

Feb 2008
It's back in theatres here in Japan. Went and saw it tonight (20 minutes of ads and trailers followed by a 45 minute movie :-D ). It's a lot more impressive to watch on a theatre screen (as opposed to a computer screen). Brevity of the story was a bit disappointing...I felt I had watched only half a movie, which actually is the case given the short run time. Nonetheless, enjoyment factor went up a lot with this viewing.
Dec 22, 2016 1:53 PM

Nov 2016
Wasn't quite as good as Your Name in my opinion but it was still a lovely film. 8/10
Jan 1, 2017 7:44 AM

Oct 2014
Holy...those visuals were stunning. Great story too but would've preferred it if it was slightly longer as the ending felt rushed.
Jan 1, 2017 3:17 PM

Apr 2014
On the re-watch here. The animation is so crisp. Knowing it is a short movie and can feel it will soon be over sucks.
---------My Profile------------
Jan 15, 2017 5:53 PM

Jul 2009
For all the praise I hear about the amazing visuals, yes I think the backgrounds and shots and cinematography and such were well done but I wasn't a huge fan of how the characters looked. Something just looked off to me, maybe the lighting/outlines? Decent soundtrack, but the characters were kind of meh for me. Didn't really understand Yukino that well and I also didn't think her seiyuu fit the character (sorry HanaKana!). Maybe I am just too used to her voice in other roles but it kind of threw me off lol. Kind of a bit disappointed with the ending too, not much of a resolution there. I guess the big "confrontation" scene was well done at least? Maybe I expected too much from such a short movie, but it came so highly praised ... just goes to show how you shouldn't have high expectations for these kinds of things! At least it was enjoyable and wasn't too long. 7/10
Jan 15, 2017 8:16 PM

Sep 2011
EvianBubble said:
Didn't really understand Yukino that well

I think part of the difficulty in understanding Yukino's character lies in her role as a literature teacher and how this plays into the film's themes. If you recall, a lot of her actions tie back into this with how she playfully teases Akizuki by way of a tanka (a Japanese short poem), well after recognizing his uniform from the same school. For the most part, she was fairly down and suffering a form of depression from her past experiences but it was her meetings with Akizuki that cheered her up even if she didn't think much of them, treating them as escapism more or less. It was only after Akizuki answered her tanka that she felt somewhat fulfilled since it plays into her role as a literature teacher and how she was able to impart this to a student. What makes the ending so cathartic is how Yukino finally comes to accept Akizuki's love and impact on her life especially with how he helped her regain her self-confidence.
Jan 18, 2017 7:41 AM

Dec 2012
Not bad. But what's with the ending?
8/10

Feb 22, 2017 2:55 AM

Dec 2015
Movie wasn't perfect but close to.

The artwork and animation are probably the best i've ever seen, absolute stunning.

Plotwise, it's probably my favourite Shinkai movie to date. Plot, tropes etc. were modest - quality over quantity was clear in this film. Character development was consistent and deep, particularly liked the dichotomy between Akizuki and Yukino's maturity + weaknesses. Their roles were portrayed well although I feel like Yukino's background needed more development.

I hated the tragic endings for 5cm per second and Children who chase lost voices, i'm glad this ending was more sensible.
~
Feb 26, 2017 2:44 AM
Jul 2016
Asteris said:
The move was awesome! I love his movies. The ending is kinda sad, even though they might meet up later ( the last words of the last scene ). I think I should stop watching his movies, because they're kinda sad. :(

10/10 definitely.

can you recom
Asteris said:
The move was awesome! I love his movies. The ending is kinda sad, even though they might meet up later ( the last words of the last scene ). I think I should stop watching his movies, because they're kinda sad. :(

10/10 definitely.

can you recommend my romance anime movies with happy ending
Mar 1, 2017 12:50 AM

Jun 2015
The artwork and animation were top notch. I just think the story could have gone into deeper detail.
:)
Mar 6, 2017 3:26 PM

Dec 2008
The animation was stunning. I recognized so many wallpapers that came from this movie.
Mar 9, 2017 6:47 PM
Sep 2013
Love the animation. That's about it. The story didn't do anything for me. Yes, I guess it is sad to see that the teacher had to leave, but I still don't get how he even saved her. Definitely a worthwhile story being told only if it had more time to develop.
Mar 23, 2017 8:10 PM

Jan 2015
Meh. As usual with Shinkai, very beautiful packaging but mediocre product, skillfully hidden by the pseudo-meaningful drivel and feelsy atmosphere. Story was alright, but full of conveniences, and the ending is same old.
Mar 30, 2017 1:35 PM

May 2016
That is what to be expected by Makoto Shinkai, amazing story, fascinating art, and Kana voice just to make it perfect 9/10
May 6, 2017 1:14 PM

Apr 2009
I've watched it when it came out 4 years ago. From the visual zp the music and the voices, this is a beautiful piece of art (and I love rain so it's another plus for me). Like some here have pointed out, the story is a bit weak and the build-up to the climax wasn't done really well, so their emotional outburst felt a bit rushed. But, after reading some really great observation and analysis in some comments in this forum I've rewatched the movie again and I can now appreciate the story and characters more.

I also got to watch the bts-interviews which I would recommend since it provides some interesting insights.
When casting the male MC Shinkai-san already had Miyu in his mind, since they once collaborated before. Interestingly, Miyu actually memorized most of his lines in order to give a more natural perfomance and to get a better feeling of the scene, without looking at the script. Shinkai-san was quite impressed.
shiroi-ookamiMay 6, 2017 5:05 PM
Jul 6, 2017 10:21 PM
Jul 2018
shiroi-ookami said:
I've watched it when it came out 4 years ago. From the visual zp the music and the voices, this is a beautiful piece of art (and I love rain so it's another plus for me). Like some here have pointed out, the story is a bit weak and the build-up to the climax wasn't done really well, so their emotional outburst felt a bit rushed. But, after reading some really great observation and analysis in some comments in this forum I've rewatched the movie again and I can now appreciate the story and characters more.

I also got to watch the bts-interviews which I would recommend since it provides some interesting insights.
When casting the male MC Shinkai-san already had Miyu in his mind, since they once collaborated before. Interestingly, Miyu actually memorized most of his lines in order to give a more natural perfomance and to get a better feeling of the scene, without looking at the script. Shinkai-san was quite impressed.
At its best this community of manga and anime lovers can make you see and hear things in a work previously not noticed.

I really like that anecdote you shared about Miyu's approach to the role. Their voices carry this film as much as the images, imo.
Jul 24, 2017 7:04 AM

Mar 2013
I'm not the sort of person to re-watch something unless I feel drawn to the work, but weather and mood here was so perfect that I couldn't stop myself rewatching it. And thus, I got to experience this beautiful piece of work once again.

The awestrucking artwork, the soft pieces of piano accompanying the movie along with the subtle touch of sounds from the surrounding made the movie so immersive, that for a 45 min movie, I completed it in twice of that time period haha.

The romance was subtle but yet impactful. The simple and beautiful chemistry b/w Takao and Yukino was oddly engaging that I couldn't help watching the movie with a glee on my face all the time :)

I also liked the usage of metaphor in the story.
And although it wasn't explicit, we got our implied happy ending in the end. Pretty sure that's what mattered to me most during the watch :D
Aug 4, 2017 4:07 PM

Apr 2008
I've started a Makoto Shinkai marathon yesterday because I've got nothing better to do. I've watched 3 of his movies so far (besides this, 5cm/s and Beyong the Clouds) and this was the one that stood out for me. The animation is stunning and the story isn't what I've expected: I've thought this is going to be about a story about how a boy's life is suddenly changed by a typical MPDG except beautifully animated, instead it ended up being the "opposite", the boy changing the girl's life, even if just a bit, and his life pretty much remained the same. Basicaly she had it rough at her workplace - the school - and even her coworkers didn't side with her to avoid media attention - scummy, but sadly very realistic - but at least one of her students did in the end. Him getting into a fight with the upperclassmen was still colossally stupid though.

Next day, I'm watching Your Name for sure, we'll see how it goes.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Aug 18, 2017 5:23 AM

Jun 2009
Another great anime from Shinkai. The story has it's flaws but it's still decent at least. Artwork and animation are totally outstanding. I especially liked the visual effects of the rain with this breathtaking scenery. Soundtrack was also amazing. Together with this subtle sounds from the surrounding, it created a pleasant comfortable mood. Tanka words were really gorgeous and they somehow stoke. The last scene was also really emotional and moving. Too bad it only lasted 45min.

I found it entertaining and really enjoyed watching it.Can't wait to see another Shinkai productions.

Visual effects and art 10
Soundtrack and voice acting 10
Story & characters 8
It's nearly perfect. 9,5/10. I have to give it 10/10 otherwise I'll be forced to diminish the score of some other anime.

symbv said:
People talk a lot about the last lines about walking and come for you, but the most memorable lines to me, except the emotional confrontation near the end, are the pair of Tanka from Manyoushu (ch.11) that bookend their first meeting in the park and their last (before getting true to each other). It is a beauty that so many tanka in Manyoushu are pairs in which one is the answer to the other in feeling and mood.

The lady to the man:
なるかみの すこしとよみて さしくもり あめもふらぬか きみをとどめむ
The thunder strikes softly. Can't the sky get a bit cloudy and rain falls a little. To keep you around. (my bad translation)

And the man answers:
なるかみの すこしとよみて ふらずとも わはとどまらむ, いもしとどめば
Even if there is no thunder or rain, I shall stay here, if it is your desire to keep me around. (my bad translation again)

Much better in mood and fits the dreamily beautiful scenery than the J-Pop song at the end.

I couldn't agree with you more. They are wonderful and subtle lines. I've memorized them as well.
Aug 24, 2017 2:57 PM

Oct 2015
I can see the green surrounding but the water visuals were so beautiful they complemented the anime so well. damn that was excellent animation and story touched where she said he saved her to walk again in life. but I don't approve of them being lovers.
lihle808Oct 14, 2019 4:07 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 1, 2017 5:59 PM

Apr 2017
This movie got me thinking. Just a couple of days ago, one 27 year old female model apparently said something jokingly about wanting to date a 14 year old actor when he turns 18, that he was good looking, basically. People lost their shit and called her a pedo, it has been an outrage on social media and she has disabled comments on her IG and what not.

But this movie about romance between a 15 year old and a 27 year old, is that all fine? It's kind of weird...

Anyway, good movie. I'm gonna give it an 7/10. My only problem with it is the overly dramatic baby-crying by the female at the end. Seems to be a strange cliché in anime.
Zoldra0Nov 10, 2017 2:40 PM
Nov 7, 2017 9:18 PM

Dec 2016
A true masterpiece so much so that words don't do it justice, no matter how many I could use to describe it
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 18, 2017 8:04 AM

Nov 2011
The only defect I can attribute to this movie is the short time available. The rest is divine.
Dec 22, 2017 4:17 AM
Sep 2010
I’m kind of disappointed tbh, expected something better. The story was so-so and the characters were kind of dull imo. If the genders were reversed people would totally call this problematic and perverted lol. The movie was worth watching mainly for its beautiful art and animation.
Jan 8, 2018 9:43 PM

Jan 2013
i was so waiting for him to actually give her the shoes before the hubbub...but the post credit epilogue with the shoes on the bench was a fine and kinda symbolic.
Feb 7, 2018 10:30 AM

Jan 2017
Detailed animation.

The experience knocked some sense into him to overcome his emotions.
Contemporary0091Jan 6, 2021 1:09 PM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Feb 15, 2018 2:18 AM

Dec 2017
I really liked this film. It was much better than 5cm per second IMO. I felt the two main characters in Garden of Words had really great chemistry, and the ending was very heart warming and touching as well.

Oh, and that animation was absolutely beautiful, as expected.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one, probably not

mydaddy - Mar 1

28 by Rayane-47 »»
Mar 6, 5:29 AM

» What if the genders were reversed?

mechian - Aug 17, 2014

29 by CLADDAN »»
Mar 1, 10:53 AM

» What did you think of this movie? ( 1 2 )

AoiroBlueColor - May 15, 2021

55 by SandraEis »»
Aug 14, 2023 2:26 PM

Poll: » What demographic is Kotonoha no Niwa?

AnimeIs4Kidz - Feb 27, 2023

15 by DreamingK »»
Mar 6, 2023 11:08 AM

» Weathering with you or Garden of words?! ( 1 2 )

Reckless_weeb - Mar 30, 2022

81 by Kunii »»
Apr 15, 2022 12:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.