Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2013 7:17 AM

May 2011
Marow said:
It was good till the actual sci-fi started. Then I threw my hands up and stopped caring. Hopefully this was just a poor excuse to get it started.

But hey, at least we got a glorious opening!

I agree, the OP was very awesome. I had my headphones blasting when it came on!

Very nice start as expected from Sunrise. I swear, I am never disappointed with anything they do. d(O_o)b
Apr 12, 2013 7:28 AM

Feb 2011
This show was so awesome , as expected from sunrise <3

She was sooooo cute <3 I hope she didn't die ...
Apr 12, 2013 7:29 AM

Mar 2013
Maybe it's just me, but I'm extremely turned off by 3d cg mecha.Also not really digging the mecha designs. There are so many joints and parts on the mechs that it starts to look like one big mess.

Also not liking the main character. The types where they're so unsure of themselves. That's what made me despise Guilty Crown so, so much.
Apr 12, 2013 7:33 AM

Apr 2010
This is like a crossbreed between Gundam and Code Geass judging from this first episode.
Things i didn't like was some of the naivety someone mentioned living without a army is cheaper but in most cases it isn't a other point where the reactions when those robots entered their sphere no one seemed to be thinking that it might have been a weapon.
Then there is the classes which seemed more like a friend gathering than a actual class lesson with people texting each other none stop and someone even walking in class, the teacher didn't say anything.
Lastly the term Third Galactic Reich, Basically their saying Third Reich here which is rather offensive.

I liked that there was a relationship in forming right from the start there was even a unfinished confession scene which suggests this isn't going to be a annoying harem.
It was a shame that the girl died shortly after that but seeing the nature of this anime we might be in for a surprise on that.
Apr 12, 2013 7:33 AM

Jun 2011
I liked the part after the ED the most. Yay for man-eating dead guy.
Apr 12, 2013 8:05 AM

Mar 2013
First part was bad to average, second part was okay, ending was WTF OMG WHAT IS GOING ON ASDJASKDJHASKDHJ *drool*

I have a feeling upcoming episodes are going to be more like the first part but I hope I'm proven wrong. *prays that it doesn't end up being a trainwreck*
Apr 12, 2013 8:47 AM

Sep 2011
Out of all the Mech shows airing, this one is the best. Next to Suisei no Gargantia, technically not a mech show more of a Sci-fi.
Apr 12, 2013 9:31 AM

Sep 2008
I liked it, although Shoko had dead written all over her face since the start :D

But more importantly, people were comparing Majestic prince to this? Seriously? I can't help but laugh at that. That's just ridiculous.

Looking forward to seeing what they do from now on, and what did it exactly mean "do you give up as human being?" (something along that line). I don't really like when shows use romantic interests as plot movers, but I don't mind some good old revenge. He also didn't know how to pilot Valrave since he entered it, he got injected with something after he "gave up as human", so that's something I hope's going to get explained as well.
I have quite a few questions, but none that have to be explained immediately.
High hopes for this one since it reminds me of original gundam (of course it's not even remotely as good, but similar style and first episode).

Just a quick edit, ending song is great and I really like the samurai feeling on the mecha with the swords at its side.
nina4lifeApr 12, 2013 9:36 AM
Apr 12, 2013 9:41 AM

May 2010
If Shoko is dead, why did she appear in opening. Also listed as one of the main characters here. Might be a mistake or perhaps Sunrise pulled another La Flaga.

For the first episode it is as generic as any other Gundam-clone. This either might be great or turn into another Gundam AGE (though I doubt it can be that bad). I hope protagonist doesn't end as another Jesus Yamato.
Apr 12, 2013 9:54 AM

Jul 2012
I can't wait for the ending!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVopptZy2Y0
Apr 12, 2013 9:57 AM

Aug 2009
What the fuck did i just watch? I have no idea what just happened.

McRib said:
This show is so Sunrise it hurts.

Haha, this is exactly what I was thinking.
Apr 12, 2013 10:00 AM
Jul 2012
Arcling said:
For the first episode it is as generic as any other Gundam-clone. This either might be great or turn into another Gundam AGE (though I doubt it can be that bad). I hope protagonist doesn't end as another Jesus Yamato.

he's already starting down that path by not dying from getting killed by l-elf. all sunrise did was "explain" it by making him a zombie
Apr 12, 2013 10:03 AM

Nov 2012
(Mobile Suit Gundam SEED)

Apr 12, 2013 10:03 AM

Apr 2011
Shoko is listed as a main character, so she can't be dead.
Apr 12, 2013 10:21 AM

May 2012
KevinRammstein said:
Shoko is listed as a main character, so she can't be dead.
i think so too..

and wtf he turned into vampire lols..
1st ep soo cliche..

Apr 12, 2013 10:21 AM

Aug 2010
Also I see her in the season 2 pic so yep. Most likely not dead.
Apr 12, 2013 10:30 AM

Apr 2007
The only good part was at the end .-. Think I'll just wait a few weeks or until it finishes airing before watching more. Should be more fun that way anyway.

Barion-Zara said:
That's actually an image for the first season, there are no visuals for the second season yet. Still, I also doubt Shouko is dead.
Apr 12, 2013 10:33 AM

Aug 2010
Monochrome said:
The only good part was at the end .-. Think I'll just wait a few weeks or until it finishes airing before watching more. Should be more fun that way anyway.

Barion-Zara said:
That's actually an image for the first season, there are no visuals for the second season yet. Still, I also doubt Shouko is dead.

Oh I see. Either way she's most likely alive. Well all we can do now is hope for a good explanation and a better execution of her return.
Apr 12, 2013 10:37 AM

Oct 2012
Shoko is no dead. Guaranteed.
Apr 12, 2013 10:50 AM

Jan 2013
Cock blocked by war tsk tsk tsk. Wonder if shes dead really. Who knows.

As what others have said starts typical minus apperantly we have a Vampire mech pilot lulz.

But other than that starts pretty typical. This will be good or it will be crap/ "meh".
Apr 12, 2013 10:53 AM

Mar 2011
BTW for those who don't speak German... “Elf” is 11. Since the bad guys seem to be German-ish, I guess the albino kid is L-11; which sounds like a serial designation, implying either cloning, or some sort of depersonalizing/brainwashing upbringing and education.
Apr 12, 2013 11:09 AM
Oct 2010
As far as who the MC looks the most like, to me he's a pallet swap of Shiro from K.
I hope she stays dead. Dead characters coming back is one of my pet peeves.
Apr 12, 2013 11:14 AM
Apr 2012
Aversa said:
Lastly the term Third Galactic Reich, Basically their saying Third Reich here which is rather offensive.

What was said is actually closer to "Third Galactic Empire," but gg's gonna gg.
Apr 12, 2013 11:15 AM

Nov 2007
Arcling said:
If Shoko is dead, why did she appear in opening. Also listed as one of the main characters here.

● Dead in the first episode.
● Listed as one of the main characters.
● Appears in the OP.
● Even appears in the ED.

Click at your own risk:

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 12, 2013 11:27 AM
Jan 2013
JUST WOW! Really like it, mostly 'cuz I am a mecha fan. Worth giving a look.

Really liked the begining and action scene. Now got even more questions :D Going to wait next episode.

Sunrise+MECHA=J**z in my pants
Apr 12, 2013 11:27 AM

Dec 2009
This is going to be BL Harem if biting doesn't stop.
Apr 12, 2013 11:35 AM

Apr 2011
My thoughts during this episode :

"Heh, pretty boring. The chick's cute, but wasn't this supposed to be a mecha?"
"The MC is a wimp, who would've guessed?"
"Oh, so that's where the mecha come from?"
"That's one huge-ass mecha. How does it fall in the MC's hands if the enemies got to it first?"
"Did they just kill off the MC's love-interest?"
"He just pulled off a Suzaku on those weaklings."
"Wait, so now both MC and his love-interest are dead?"
"WTF, he became a zombie!"

All in all, good anime, will continue.
Apr 12, 2013 11:47 AM

Sep 2011
shanimebib said:
Arcling said:
If Shoko is dead, why did she appear in opening. Also listed as one of the main characters here.

● Appears in the OP.

Click at your own risk:

gee gee
Apr 12, 2013 11:52 AM

Apr 2012
Nilvius said:
gendouhydeist said:
Nilvius said:
The protagonist doesn't pilot a white mecha.

I'm impressed.

LOL
Also, what is it with Sunrise and their love for "youths infiltrating base to hijack secret weapon" as a first episode. It's like the mecha equivalent of "running out with a piece of toast in the mouth".

"Running out with a piece of toast in the mouth."

So Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou?
Apr 12, 2013 11:53 AM

Mar 2011
“Like” buttons in forum posts, where are you.

shanimebib said:
Arcling said:

● Appears in the OP.

Click at your own risk:

Apr 12, 2013 11:58 AM
Mar 2011
SasoriUzumaki said:
(Mobile Suit Gundam SEED)

Synopsis
C.E. 71: In the midst of war between the Naturals (OMNI) and Coordinators (ZAFT), a unit from ZAFT is dispatched to hijack the Earth Alliance's newly developed mobile suits on the neutral colony of Heliopolis. Orb Civilian Coordinator Kira Yamato attends the technical college on Heliopolis. After ZAFT hijacks 4 of the 5 mobile suits, Kira stumbles upon the last one, Strike, forced to pilot it to save his and his friend's lives. During this confusion, Kira also reunites with his childhood Coordinator friend, Athrun Zala, who ironically turns out to be a ZAFT soldier and one of the hijackers at Heliopolis. Having control of Strike, Kira joins the Earth Alliance boarding the ship known as Archangel, to protect his friends while despairing over becoming the enemy of his childhood friend and people.

holy crap the similarity.
"....i am the villain in this story"
Apr 12, 2013 12:01 PM
Dec 2010
I had a strong feeling something was going to happen to Shoko when I first saw here. There were death flags written all over it.
Apr 12, 2013 12:01 PM

Sep 2012
Have to say, among the 3 mecha anime this season I love the character design of this anime the best. Gargantia may be better on background art side but I am really pulled towards the character design used in this anime. And I think it is an improvement over SEED too (to me at least).
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 12, 2013 12:07 PM

Jun 2009
The first half seemed like pretty average/ standard verging on mediocre. School life, a shy boy in love with an out-going girl, he can't express his feelings etc. Just when he started to confess his feelings he's interrupted by the attack, seriously? Do they think we care so much if they're interrupted? Why make such a big thing? The fight was quite weird as well, how did even a high school student pilot mecchas? Aren't there a whole list of animes where how to pilot a meccha is taught at school? In this one they obviously didn't received proper trainning, deus ex machina much? I have to say however, I'm interested in L-Elf' past and the reasons behind his actions...The last few minutes were really interesting, I love when people shoot a person many times to make sure the person is dead, not like in other many anime/movies etc.
When he bit L-Elf I was like omfg, Shiki. Per total, I give the first episode a 7, just because the last minutes were compelling.
And yeah, I believe Shoko survived as well... In a way or other >.<
Apr 12, 2013 12:11 PM

Feb 2012
Just another typical mecha show.
Apr 12, 2013 12:11 PM
Mar 2013
good Ep hopeing shouko's not dead waiting for the next episode.
Apr 12, 2013 12:25 PM

May 2010
shanimebib said:

● Appears in the OP.

Click at your own risk:

Haven't watched Zetsuen no Tempest yet but read the character description. I doubt it will be like this. That's rather too deep for SEED/CG clone series. If nothing else happens, her death will make a fine reason for main hero to rage occasionally. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sunrise does ass-pull with her surviving. Then, there will be a love triangle.
ArclingApr 12, 2013 12:28 PM
Apr 12, 2013 12:31 PM
Apr 2013
Another show to follow. Liked the first episode - they managed to create a nice universe without much problems. MC and protagonist look decent enough. Ending was pretty damn good. Could have been a really good twist if Shoko really did die, although we all know that won't happen. It would however, really give the MC a really good reason to fight throughout, not just because they attacked his home and supposedly killed his love.

Spoiler below contains information about Shingeki no Kyojin, although that information can be attained from reading the intro about Shingeki no Kyojin on myanimelist.

XenphonApr 12, 2013 12:36 PM
Apr 12, 2013 12:44 PM

Dec 2009
bastek66 said:
This will be glorious trainwreck.
Apr 12, 2013 1:00 PM

Jun 2011
I dunno Shoko may stay dead since in the opening in the episode around 22:08 both Saki Rukino and Shouko Sashinami show up together in the opening and they are pretty much the 2 most prominent girls in that opening. So i either see it being Shouko is the dead past love interest and Saki becomes the living one throughout the series or it goes the macross frontier route and its a shit love triangle with no resolution (or a good one where it has a resolution and is not as annoying as hell to watch the whole time).

The other 2 females that stood out the most in the OP are that C.C kind of girl who showed up on the mecha interface in the episode, it seems like she is an actual persona judging from the OP. There is also the princess looking girl from the The Dorssia Military Pact Federation side she is probably going to be the Euphemia of this anime. Though neither are listed down in the character lists yet.
DragoonDeusApr 12, 2013 1:06 PM
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Apr 12, 2013 1:37 PM

Jan 2009
lalomartins said:
“Like” buttons in forum posts, where are you.

shanimebib said:
Arcling said:

● Appears in the OP.

Click at your own risk:

yep this is my thoughts exactly too, a dead character that still shown on a lot of episodes through flashbacks giving her a good character development still, and also Cross Game has done this kind of thing
Apr 12, 2013 1:41 PM

Jan 2008
Enjoyed the first episode lot more than Majestic Prince.

The mecha reminded me of Escaflowne, as in the blood taking. Design wise... eh... flashy I guess...
Apr 12, 2013 1:48 PM

Dec 2012
Paul said:
Enjoyed the first episode lot more than Majestic Prince.

Same here, I like Suisei a bit more than this so far but Valvrave has potential to go places. Looking forward to next week to see if the highschool boy piloting a mecha can defeat the space vampires and galactic Nazi's.
Apr 12, 2013 1:52 PM
Jan 2012
If people keep saying this has Gundam Wing and 00 vibes, well good. I'm not much of a mecha watcher, but Wing and 00 were two of Sunrise's most enjoyable shows for me. (And I ignored pretty much every other Gundam show.)

With that said, before seeing this first episode, I read the news that this show got a second season already in order to answer some of its unanswered mysteries. So, that got my attention perked up a little. I was already planning on watching this to support the character designer/mangaka, Hoshino (since this is why she hasn't updated D.Gray-man for awhile). I like mysteries and I usually don't associate mysteries with mecha shows...since they usually come off as predictable/typical.

In true shounen mecha fare...
- High school aged hero
- War
- Rivals
- Neutral colony

Considering 00 and Wing both featured a protagonist who wasn't a weakling/pro-peace type, Valvrave was a complete departure for me with the MC.

Despite the MC's personality, it's a pleasant surprise to say with this first episode of Valvrave that I can see why Hoshino was a part of this project. The OP lyrics and the ENDING!!! Oh my goshhhhh... :0 I can also see why this wouldn't be considered a Gundam series even if it has all of the classic Gundam staples. (T.M. + Nana = a godsend mix <3 )

The OP lyrics consisted of the words "light and dark", and it could be a sign of foreshadowing. D.Gray-Man is not a typical shounen good verse evil manga, thankfully. Now, equating this existence of a vampire/zombie MC in Valvrave, Valvrave may also explore into the themes of humanity and what it truly means to be human. The MC, having lost his right to be human, is definitely going to be in the gray-zone. He won't be in the light anymore, but let's see how much darkness he'll carry with him, eh?

"Do you wish to resign being human?" I did not understand the significance of those words until the very end. The white haired killer kids could probably be brainwashed enough to not be human in their own right.... I don't know. But, they add into the whole dimension of what it really means to be human. Who's the true monster in all this? And so forth. I'm not even the type that likes vampires/zombie stuff. I like stories that explore human nature so Valvrave may be that type of show. Too early to tell from this first episode, but the unexpected happened and I'm satisfied.

Probably the only thing I'm not really crazy about is the amount of fanservice. The only thing I'll have to endure while watching this show. Ugh.
Apr 12, 2013 1:55 PM

Sep 2012
It makes sense for Shouko to stay dead because Haruto is also dead anyway. Perhaps Shouko can later be revived as some kind of undead, and then the two could start a race of undead....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 12, 2013 1:56 PM
Nov 2011
shanimebib said:
Arcling said:

● Appears in the OP.

Click at your own risk:

the main difference is that we saw aika's corpse
Apr 12, 2013 1:58 PM

Nov 2011
shanimebib said:
Arcling said:

● Appears in the OP.

Click at your own risk:

Good call. I was thinking that too.

Really liked this episode. The mecha shows are delivering big time this season.
Apr 12, 2013 2:02 PM
Feb 2012
As soon as Haruto tried confessing to Shoko and simultaneously the battle again, I hoped that they wouldn't force a death onto us in the very first episode much less expect anyone to give a rat's ass but guess I was wrong. If the girl's dead for good, then that was one horrible mistake for the first episode. But I'll wait and see what they writers have in store for us.
Now to say something positive too- the mecha designs and the CGI were marvelous, plus a good bunch of seiyuu I like are part of the crew, so that's another plus point. Even though, what the hell were those last scenes? It's like a mix of Lelouch's Geass, vampires and BL. Male mecha-vampires getting in on...maybe...?
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 12, 2013 2:07 PM

Sep 2011
so far it pretty good
well as long they dont kill off more cute girls...
so far Marie and Akira are my favorite

the MC is ok but the other guy well... i hope the MC rips out the flesh off his neck
yeah... hes a fucktard

and holy crap @ the ending
wonder what the hell that mech inject him with? nano-machines like Linebarrel?
Apr 12, 2013 2:10 PM
Mar 2013
GuiltyKing said:
As soon as Haruto tried confessing to Shoko and simultaneously the battle again, I hoped that they wouldn't force a death onto us in the very first episode much less expect anyone to give a rat's ass but guess I was wrong. If the girl's dead for good, then that was one horrible mistake for the first episode. But I'll wait and see what they writers have in store for us.
Now to say something positive too- the mecha designs and the CGI were marvelous, plus a good bunch of seiyuu I like are part of the crew, so that's another plus point. Even though, what the hell were those last scenes? It's like a mix of Lelouch's Geass, vampires and BL. Male mecha-vampires getting in on...maybe...?

i agree, as soon as I saw the confession coming i knew he wouldnt get the words off. But I guess we will see what happens later.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» is it good?

me_good - Mar 24, 2016

2 by RudeRedis »»
Jan 20, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

432 by neeJay »»
Mar 17, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2013

677 by Catalano »»
Nov 13, 2021 12:09 PM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 16, 2013

270 by Catalano »»
Oct 6, 2021 11:55 PM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 9, 2013

342 by Catalano »»
Sep 29, 2021 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.