Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2013 8:16 PM

Mar 2009
Horror manga has to get to 90 for level 2. Why is this?
Oct 6, 2013 12:12 AM

Jul 2009
AlabastreAizo said:
Horror manga has to get to 90 for level 2. Why is this?
Dayum, looks like I duplicated thresholds from romance achievement. Will be fixed in next version, thanks!

I'll add the suggested titles too, thanks for posting them.
Oct 6, 2013 1:57 AM

Jul 2009
Preferably, mahou shoujo should contain some transformations, so you KNOW that some magical stuff is going on. I don't know if all of the current titles share this property; could you revise you suggested titles with transformations in mind?
Oct 6, 2013 2:31 AM
Sep 2012
fri said:
Preferably, mahou shoujo should contain some transformations, so you KNOW that some magical stuff is going on. I don't know if all of the current titles share this property; could you revise you suggested titles with transformations in mind?
Slayers does have some transformations for some characters into other forms, but all the characters definitely use all kinds of magic all the time in every episode, and the MC is a girl. There are also a several female characters that use lots of magic too and everyone who uses magic are called wizards.

Zettai Junpaku: Mahou Shoujo has several magical girls, and it says mahou shoujo in the title.

The rest don't really have transformations, so I guess you could exclude them.
IconicOct 6, 2013 2:37 AM
Oct 6, 2013 10:59 AM
Apr 2009
Slayers has a lot of characters that use magic and several of them are indeed girls but it is most definitely not in the "magical girl" genre anymore than, say, Harry Potter is.

(Slayers Next did have one episode where it spoofed the idea though)
Oct 6, 2013 9:02 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Does the anime, Giant Killing, qualify in the GAR achievements?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/7661/Giant_Killing

If One Outs has been added in the GAR achievements, then why not add Giant Killing too? They're both professional sports played by adults, and the cast for both series is mainly composed of adult male characters.
Oct 7, 2013 3:48 AM
Jan 2008
How about achievements based on companies? These would obviously be based upon companies that have an extensive catalog of works (like Sunrise for example) to ensure that there are enough works to have several levels of achievements. Or perhaps scale the achievement based upon the number of works available for the company. This could also work for franchises that have a certain amount of works (such as Fullmetal Alchemist or Detective Conan).

Also, what about achievements based upon rating/not rating? One for having rated 25/50/75/100% and one for not having a single rating.
ZodiacBeastOct 7, 2013 4:10 AM
Oct 7, 2013 3:01 PM

Feb 2010
LunyRed said:
Does the anime, Giant Killing, qualify in the GAR achievements?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/7661/Giant_Killing

If One Outs has been added in the GAR achievements, then why not add Giant Killing too? They're both professional sports played by adults, and the cast for both series is mainly composed of adult male characters.
It's about having guts not about being sweaty or full of males. If that happened then Yaoi would be GAR.

Yes, I just slapped wave super overdrived you in the face.
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Oct 8, 2013 7:05 AM

Apr 2009
ZodiacBeast said:
How about achievements based on companies? These would obviously be based upon companies that have an extensive catalog of works (like Sunrise for example) to ensure that there are enough works to have several levels of achievements. Or perhaps scale the achievement based upon the number of works available for the company. This could also work for franchises that have a certain amount of works (such as Fullmetal Alchemist or Detective Conan).

Also, what about achievements based upon rating/not rating? One for having rated 25/50/75/100% and one for not having a single rating.

Imho all big genres should have achievements (comedy, action, military, psychological, etc.), but true: Company ratings would be cool as you would be able to show your love for a certain studio (I'd love a Ghibli movie achievement).

Another possible achievement I'd like to see would be a noitminA achievement, awarded for watching a certain amount/percentage of all noitaminA titles. A similar achievement might also be possible for Anime Mirai OVAs.

There are so many possibilities for specialized achievements like these (or the milestone achievement I suggested earlier in this thread) that I'd be a waste not to try out a few.
NidhoeggrOct 8, 2013 7:19 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 8, 2013 2:04 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Ricz said:
I would suggest an achievement after the read novels. Since there had been a lot light novel uploaded to MAL, and it's merely different than mangas, it should have it's own achievement. On the level like the pre-1980 mangas have.

I tried suggesting that once and got shot down. : I still think it's worth an achievement, though. They require a lot more reading, especially if they're more than a few volumes long.

Agreeing with others that Slayers is definitely not mahou shoujo. Nor would I venture to say that Freezing or Hataraku Maou-sama! should count. I haven't seen or read Fairy Tail, but from what I'm aware, that series isn't in the same vein either.

Mahou Shoujo isn't just about female magic users or similar. It's its own genre and tends to focus on female characters taking on the role of a "magical girl" and using special magical abilities to eradicate enemies (often a villain of the week sort of deal but not always), with transformations from normal everyday girl into the magical version. Frequently the magical girls treat their real life identities and magical girl identities as something to keep separate (like how the true identity of the Sailor Scouts is kept hidden from the public etc). And so on.
NumiOct 8, 2013 2:15 PM
Oct 11, 2013 10:29 AM

Jan 2008
Numi said:
I haven't seen or read Fairy Tail, but from what I'm aware, that series isn't in the same vein either.

Nope, Fairy Tail has to do with mahou shoujo genre as much as, say, Dragon Ball with shoujo - nothing. Well, Erza DOES transform with her armour magic but that's it, and the transformation's only present in the anime, so it's only cosmetic asset, not a "trope", if we can call it like that.
CiaraOct 11, 2013 10:32 AM
Oct 16, 2013 11:24 AM
Jan 2008
Dang, my recommending ratings achievements on the suggestions page has one more "don't like" vote than like.

I also suggested the companies achievements. I'm curious to see how that goes. How many people visit that page in a given time frame anyways? I'll check every day for a week and nothing happens, then the next day there will be about fifty votes.
Oct 17, 2013 8:22 AM

Mar 2009
Since many achievements seem to be about rewarding users for branching out and trying something new, perhaps a Gekiga achievement would be cool.

Series by Yoshihiro Tatsumi (the man who coined the term "Gekiga"), Taniguchi Jiro, Tsuge Yoshiharu, Saitō Takao, Koike Kazuo, Hoshino Yukinobu, and some of Tezuka's stuff.
Oct 17, 2013 10:13 AM

Jan 2011
AlabastreAizo said:
Since many achievements seem to be about rewarding users for branching out and trying something new, perhaps a Gekiga achievement would be cool.

Series by Yoshihiro Tatsumi (the man who coined the term "Gekiga"), Taniguchi Jiro, Tsuge Yoshiharu, Saitō Takao, Koike Kazuo, Hoshino Yukinobu, and some of Tezuka's stuff.

Well, there's the current "pre-1980" manga achievement. At which the scanlations available are pretty much mostly Gekiga manga. So it's a bit of a 2-for-1 deal.
Oct 17, 2013 9:25 PM

Nov 2012
Does Kill La Kill count as a magical girl show? It has a lot of elements in common with the genre and as of the third episode we've officially got a transformation sequence.
Oct 18, 2013 7:02 AM

Jan 2008
I am only at second episode myself but calling Kill la Kill magical girl show feels... weird. It's only counted when you finish it, so maybe let's think about it when it finishes airing? For now I would say "no", or at least veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery (add twenty two more "e") non-standard mahou shoujo if someone pesters me about it for long time enough.
Oct 18, 2013 5:22 PM
Oct 22, 2013 8:59 AM

Jul 2008
Just tried it after being here for so many years :P I was surprised at the insane achievements, wonder how many achievements are there in total? :)
Oct 22, 2013 9:02 AM

Nov 2010
ShanaFlame said:
Just tried it after being here for so many years :P I was surprised at the insane achievements, wonder how many achievements are there in total? :)
https://github.com/rr-/malgraph4/wiki/Achievements
Oct 22, 2013 9:06 AM

Jul 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
ShanaFlame said:
Oh cheers mate :D
Oct 28, 2013 12:13 PM

Jul 2010
No achievement for Total number of dropped? I should be on level 2 or 3. :( And Action need to get one as well.
Nov 1, 2013 2:07 AM

Nov 2008
Han-yuu said:
No achievement for Total number of dropped? I should be on level 2 or 3. :( And Action need to get one as well.

There's one for never dropping anything.
Nov 1, 2013 2:15 PM

Jun 2007
I think a possible future implementation that would be cool is some kind of stat showing how many users have ___ achievement.
Nov 1, 2013 4:56 PM

Jun 2011
Vesey said:
I think a possible future implementation that would be cool is some kind of stat showing how many users have ___ achievement.

Oh, that would be really cool. If it's not too taxing to make it, I'd like to see that happen.
Nov 4, 2013 8:14 AM

Oct 2012
Vesey said:

You can actually do a suggestion, just go to MALgraph> about> suggestions moderator, or click on this link: http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=20db62&t=20db62.40

Most suggestions are on achievements, and most are shit, but this might be a good one.
Nov 4, 2013 8:44 AM
Apr 2009
pretty sure http://myanimelist.net/anime/3014 and the Saiunkoku Monogatari franchise shouldn't count towards the historical achievement even if MAL is silly and has them tagged that way.

otherwise I'm lobbying to add Garzey's Wing to the list!
Nov 5, 2013 4:34 AM

Mar 2013
It's weird that DBZ: History of Trunks is the only DBZ (that I have counted, anyway, and I have quite a few) that counts as drama. Same with Tales of the Abyss. There are a couple others that are like this:

-Not all Tales are listed in magic
-Tsubasa Chronicle 2nd season is listed under drama and supernatural but the first is not. Likewise, the first season is listed under magic but the second is not.
-The Pokemon movies are listed as drama but the show is not (which makes a certain amount of sense, I guess, actually)
-Not all Sailor Moons are listed as drama or comedy
-There are some from the Full Metal Panic! franchise (including the original season) that don't count toward military
-Not all Tales are listed under action
-Not all the Cowboy Bebops are listed under space
-Hellsing is listed under mystery (not sure I'd list it there) but Ultimate, etc. are not
-Tales of Symphonia is listed under martial arts (not sure it belongs there?) but the other Tales are not
-Not all Evangelions are under dementia and the rebuilds aren't under psychological
-Not all DBZs or Hellsings are under super power
-Tales of the Abyss's special disk is under slice of life (ehhh) but the other specials (or like, Tales of Heroes), which are arguably similar, are not

You can argue any which way on any of these, and I'm not saying that just because it's a franchise they should all be in the same category (for instance I completely agree with FMP! Fufomu being the only one that's under school), but some of these are a little confusing. I was wondering if there was a particular reason for some of these. I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other, I just noticed these with my list and thought I'd mention them. It sounds like MAL is probably behind most of this.

Also maybe Hakuoki could go under Demons? It's a significant part of the plot, but I dunno how much you need for that franchise to be counted for it.
Nov 5, 2013 4:53 AM

Jul 2009
It looks like a MAL issue; I think you should report it to database moderators (list here: http://myanimelist.net/about.php?go=team ).
Nov 5, 2013 5:03 AM

Mar 2013
Will do! Thank you.
Nov 6, 2013 3:39 PM
Aug 2011
In my opinion the first special of Toriko deserve a place in the GAR category (not sure for the series itself, for the censorship and too much Komatsu)
Nov 7, 2013 6:04 PM
Sep 2012
Internet Explorer: The Anime for mahou shoujo.

Girl transforms and fights robots with magical powers.
IconicNov 11, 2013 11:42 PM
Nov 17, 2013 12:35 PM
Nov 17, 2013 1:12 PM

Feb 2012
Where's the achievement list? And I'm not talking about this one:

I mean the one that shows all the applicable anime/manga in the genre they fall under.
Nov 17, 2013 1:37 PM

Jul 2009
It says right there that the lists are at https://github.com/rr-/malgraph4/tree/master/data/achievements
friNov 17, 2013 1:42 PM
Nov 24, 2013 7:49 AM
Jun 2013
fri said:
It says right there that the lists are at https://github.com/rr-/malgraph4/tree/master/data/achievements

Yeah, but that can't be everything. For example, it says there are only 22 mecha anime, when I already have that achievement with 30 watched.
Nov 24, 2013 8:50 AM

Aug 2011
For most of the genre categories the list counts anything that has that genre as a tag on mal. The anime listed individually are usually ones that they believe should count but for some reason didnt have the correct genre tag on mal at the time.

So for mecha, every show that has the mecha tag counts plus those 22.
Fate has no forgiveness for those who dare stand against it. - Chrono Cross
Nov 24, 2013 10:01 AM

Jul 2009
Yeah, that's how it works. For example, take a look at the file for Vampires and Demons achievement - it has no titles listed, but there's this bit at the end:

"requirement":
{
  "type": "genre-titles",
  "genre": [ 6, 32 ]
}

It tells the engine to go through every title from your list and check if its genre contains ID 6 or 32. This makes your achievement list up-to-date with updates on MAL (genre changes, new titles, etc.), without us having to edit the file manually every day.
Nov 26, 2013 9:54 AM
Aug 2011
Dance in the Vampire Bund should be part of the Horror Manga list, in my opinion, particularly because it's spin-off, Dive in the Vampire Bund is present
Nov 26, 2013 2:27 PM

Jul 2013
The Spice and Wolf series should be added under Historical, I think.
Nov 27, 2013 6:33 PM

Nov 2012
The Uta Kata Special should be listed under Mahou Shoujo.
Dec 3, 2013 8:04 AM

Feb 2010
Mandatory periodical SPORTS achievement reminder. We have enough titles for that. Many sports anime are longrunning but don't cut for the Shen Long achievement and they're a very different kind of shounen, I don't see why they don't deserve a specific badge . The only problem really would be Major with a whopping 6 seasons but well... Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann almost single handedly gave me Mecha and GAR badges and they were all specials and movies while Major has 26 episode seasons.

Also, have you guys thought about some very high thresholds for some common genres? Shounen/supernatural/fantasy could have an unique achievement using either genre but very hard to get to make sure only diehard shounen fans would get it, kinda like Long Runner achievement.
Dec 3, 2013 8:15 AM

Jul 2009
I'm afraid we're very close to the upper limit of number of achievements, and adding any more would ruin it. We're set to adding Space one for anime, but that would be all. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Dec 3, 2013 10:32 AM

Feb 2010
Wait, wat? O_O

I hadn't heard of that, is there a post somewhere about this?
Dec 3, 2013 12:21 PM

Jul 2009
I meant that having too many achievements isn't a good idea, because they lose their appeal.
Dec 4, 2013 12:24 PM

Apr 2012
Sorry can someone repost the link to different achievements?
The original link is broken and can't be accessed.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 4, 2013 12:26 PM

Nov 2010
bunny_lover said:
Sorry can someone repost the link to different achievements?
The original link is broken and can't be accessed.
No, the link on the front club page still works.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Current Issue

SofiaBulga - Feb 21, 2020

1 by hacker09 »»
Jun 17, 2020 12:11 PM

» Important announcement, please read! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

fri - Apr 14, 2015

402 by Tulicloure »»
Aug 7, 2016 7:15 PM

» Bug reports ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

fri - Mar 7, 2012

928 by Dragonflyk »»
May 12, 2015 7:37 AM

» Some charts

_North - Apr 14, 2015

0 by _North »»
Apr 14, 2015 6:36 PM

» How are this related?

ExTemplar - Apr 4, 2015

1 by ReinhardVonMusel »»
Apr 5, 2015 11:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.