Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2008 9:02 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kind of didn't quite understand the ending but all's well.
Great series.
Jan 7, 2009 10:46 AM

Nov 2008
Predictable story. The animation was decent but the plot was poor and the characters were unintelligent.

The story and characters are basically perfect copies of the 2001 movie "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230011/ ) except that Macross Zero is "supposed" to be mecha. What a cheap knockoff...

3/10
arimakenshinJan 7, 2009 10:52 AM
Feb 10, 2009 9:14 AM

Jun 2008
This show was a masterpiece.

Also god damn that huge destroid armed with with four cannons near the end is badass. Pure brute force.
OrkleFeb 10, 2009 11:59 AM
Jun 11, 2009 12:47 AM

Dec 2008
That was a nice show
I knew nothing about Macross but searched for jetfighter anime

I watched Jukikaze before ,some kind of stylish with much explosions, but this show had some serious plotholes and most of the characters had a lack in substance.

so in my opinion Macross Zero is the better show
the Dogfights were nice to watch
unfortunately there was no happy end.

with the southern sea setting and animation art bonus
I gave it an 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2009 1:41 PM
Feb 2009
ye same ending was kinda in the blue for me too, but over all good series
Sep 5, 2009 1:05 PM

Nov 2008
Nice ending, all the fights scenes were really breathtaking (as usual) and the songs give a dark really touch to some scenes and made some scenes sadder.
The sets wasn't as colorful as usual but since this last episode was more tragic and dark that fitted perfectly.

Though I had the really bad feelings of being pushed in a universe without any explanation and I didn't really enjoy this show since I didn't get what was happening, why there is a war? And between who and who? What is the relation between some of the characters?

At first I wanted to give it 8 but somehow that was really a let down because of this lack of explanation.
I give a 7/10
Nov 13, 2009 2:40 AM

Apr 2009
my friend told me to watch this... and i can say... i liked it

nice to see how Roy was before macross saga, it was inevitable that Shin was to die though (unless they would have somehow explained how he wasn't in macross saga)...

A nice fantasy ending for an anime series that was always about war between man and an extraterrestrial being, although it leaves us with more questions than answers xD... i think i'm going to rewatch the whole of Macross or Robotech now =P
Nov 27, 2009 9:46 PM

Jan 2009
This animation for this series was so pro!
Story was...ok...albeit a little hard to understand.
But it all comes down to the fantastic visuals and art! (Watch THORA's release and be blown away!)

7/10

Dec 11, 2009 10:03 AM

Apr 2009
This was a Macross? Why? Other than Focker I didn't see much of a connection... it even lacked a fleshed out love-triangle...
Oh well, at least it was decent, it would be better if it had less CG action and more plot though...
Feb 19, 2010 4:04 AM
Aug 2009
Nice show, the end was quite good. With the wings of the birdman given to Shin by Sara the crash was made less worse and he could fly again.
Jun 27, 2010 9:36 PM

Dec 2009
Beautiful, but too short.
'Zero' is definetely best of Macross OVAs.
Jul 1, 2010 5:24 PM
May 2008
arimakenshin pretty nailed it... lackluster plot, paper thin characters, and too many unnecessary battles. If the legends had been fleshed out a bit more, maybe this series wouldn't have suffered as much... meh.

6/10
Dead Account
Please Delete
Dec 12, 2010 2:26 AM

Aug 2010
The series wasn't a mind-breaking one which forced you to think what may happen next. The only thing I could do while watching this show was well...watching and enjoy the very detailed battle scenes and the beautiful soundtrack that accompanied the show.
It gets a 8/10 from me.
Jan 12, 2011 12:50 AM

Sep 2008
I actually liked Zero... well actually more for the mecha and whatnot than anything, though the ending where the little sister didn't win.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2011 8:41 PM

Apr 2009
The initial air battle was high speed, high altitude, high octane action but when the Birdman became whole again and it went into 'God mode', my excitement plummeted down and fast back to the ground until the ending of the episode. WTH was that! I don't know why but maybe the Protoculture biomecha just went too supernatural shit me. I think I'll bask on other space operas first before coming back to the Macross universe again.

IMHO the visuals were very good especially the backgrounds in the four episodes, the actions especially the air battles were exciting, the characters were uhmm as most of the posters here said so I found lacking too. The plot was...ah well whatever.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 26, 2011 6:55 AM

Feb 2009
Ok...
tofei said:
the Protoculture biomecha just went too supernatural shit me.

Definitely!
tofei said:

IMHO the visuals were very good especially the backgrounds in the four episodes, the actions especially the air battles were exciting, the characters were uhmm as most of the posters here said so I found lacking too. The plot was...ah well whatever.

Seconded.
HawthorneKitty said:
though the ending where the little sister didn't win.

Yeah,she's hoter than Sara and more kawai too.She should've won.

Overall impressions:
-nice music
-nice animation
-nice artwork
-nice mecha
-very nice Mao
-bad Shin
-meh ending

Mmmm...Mao's just too much of a plus. 8/10 from me.
ChaosLegionMar 26, 2011 7:01 AM

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
May 15, 2011 4:27 PM

Jan 2008
I liked it, and just to make me feel good I'll presume that shin joined Sarah :3

Aah yes, I can see it clearly in my head, Shin flies towards space on the wings created by Sarah (and/or the other villagers) to be reunited with Sarah, then we get some freaky looking space shit background and Shin and Sarah are naked and floating and we get a final kiss.

The end :)
Oct 22, 2011 11:01 AM

Feb 2009
Too much Hocus Pocus, and the plot was all over the place. Though, the way the story is told is interesting enough. It gets an extra point for the great dogfights, the effects were pretty good.

I still prefer Macross Plus. Much more substance, more interesting characters and better directed.
Dec 1, 2011 4:09 PM

Feb 2010
ChaosLegion said:
Ok...
tofei said:
the Protoculture biomecha just went too supernatural shit me.

Definitely!
tofei said:

Seconded.
HawthorneKitty said:
though the ending where the little sister didn't win.

Yeah,she's hoter than Sara and more kawai too.She should've won.

Overall impressions:
-nice music
-nice animation
-nice artwork
-nice mecha
-very nice Mao
-bad Shin
-meh ending

Mmmm...Mao's just too much of a plus. 8/10 from me.

Comepletely agree with all that was said here the ending was almost complete shit no idea where all that supernatural stuff came from but oh well.

Would have been so much better if this anime was a bit longer so the characters could be developed better and the love triangle actually be developed.

Macross Zero does not fit in with the rest of the macross universe but considering the great animation i'll give it a 7/10
Sheepshaman.png
Dec 3, 2011 1:26 AM

Aug 2010
I like the animation, and how the music fits into that mysterious, magical atmosphere/realm. Although there weren't much character development, i still did enjoy watching this series.

The ending kinda confuses me though.. So Shin and Sara did die, and they both become like stars or something shooting off into the galaxy?
Jan 12, 2012 2:20 PM

Nov 2011
Orkle said:
This show was a masterpiece.

Also god damn that huge destroid armed with with four cannons near the end is badass. Pure brute force.

a "weapon" what can create or destroy the world can not defeat 4 nuclear bombs???? WHAAAAAAT? I'm mad

WHY someone (usually my favorite character, here: Sara) always has to sacrifice?
a masterpiece, indeed, but not a happy end for me...aaah!

blue-y said:
I like the animation, and how the music fits into that mysterious, magical atmosphere/realm. Although there weren't much character development, i still did enjoy watching this series.

The ending kinda confuses me though.. So Shin and Sara did die, and they both become like stars or something shooting off into the galaxy?

only Sara become a...something, no?
Apr 2, 2012 7:06 AM

Feb 2008
Can't believe this series is 10 years old when it looks so much better than the majority of anime today. Pretty good entry to the Macross series and I'm glad I watched it.

7/10
Jul 27, 2012 10:30 PM

Apr 2008
Supernatural stuff wasn't that surprising to me. Despite the alien ship's true nature, I kept reflecting back to the Mayan paintings and the stories...despite the ship coming from space, and being a coincidence to the Mayan Island's mythical past. Err, right?

Also, Sara making things sprout and flying rocks. But hehe, I guess I accept things too easily. :) Course wings and pedals won't flow out of your machine.

About Roy, Aries, Anti UN leader.

Music: Arkan just makes me feel so good. Nice...soft...puffy...heart. Macross is just good with that.

Fighting: Gaah, I love dogfights! I wanted to see more Nora/DD vs Shin/Roy. That's just me. And the CGI was pretty enjoyable.
Mar 23, 2013 8:16 PM

Feb 2008
^Why did Aries die? Wasn't that obvious from start, as Focker was all over her? Bitch should have died a more painful dead. Fu****g there with Roy who's already got a hot babe.

The final battle between the four was really disappointing. DD and his bitch shot down Shin and Focker twice, and in the end died a really stupid death. This actually made Shin and Focker look really weak. I mean, did they actually shot down anyone in the show? With this skill, I doubt Roy can live long.

The ending was really lackluster. At least we saw that silly tank with legs from SDF!

Terrible OVA. Haven't seen Lovers Again and Frontier yet, but so far this is the worst Macross I've seen. Would have been better of as Birdman or something unrelated to Macross. Referencing Protoculture was stupid as they didn't find out about it until SDF, and Roy didn't do much, so adding him was more a waste than good. Way to shit over a cool character. Kamiya even reprised his role, poor guy. And the CGI used on anything that's not a plane was hideous. 3/10

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 4, 2013 4:43 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

The circle is closed and all pay duty with destiny! Episode certifying the maturity occurred in the technical chart already begun with the third OVA. The design was much more polished and beautiful, in terms of chracter design, the same can be said of the CG animations and smoother! * _ *
The plot can not say that I've won at 100%, but for most of you, even if in the end leaves me a bit puzzled narration.
They definitely will have given way to many to understand that it was a product of the lodging Macross, thanks to the OST very beautiful.
For my part, I repeat, my goal in watching Macross Zero, was to fill the gap I had with Macross Frontier. Now that we are successful in recovering I can go on the older series always inherent Robotech! * _ *
A little unsatisfied, but a nice 5/5 give it to you!
Apr 3, 2014 8:19 AM
Nov 2010
Bit better than Macross Frontier, better soundtrack, direction, and there wasn't an overabundance of characters as much, although still quite a lot. Still could've done with a lot more explanation. 4/10.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Jan 16, 2015 7:03 PM

Jan 2014
It became too Evangeliesque. The most different Macross on the franchise. Not bad but not that good.

7/10 seems fair to me.
May 3, 2015 8:11 AM

Jan 2014
I admit it: I had no idea what was going on during the last two episodes. Not because the plot was too complex or esoteric, but because it didn't compel me to pay attention. The series had its merits, mainly in background art and dogfight choreography, but it was a mediocre production on the whole.

Reasonably entertaining though.
Aug 28, 2015 9:21 AM

Nov 2011
Alas86 said:
This was a Macross? Why? Other than Focker I didn't see much of a connection... it even lacked a fleshed out love-triangle...

NOPE

THIS SHIT AIN'T MACROSS AT ALL

MACROSS AIN'T MACROSS UNLESS ISHIGURO'S BEHIND THE WHEEL

SERIOUSLY
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!?
SONGS THAT EQUATE TO TELEKINESIS!?
WHERE THE HELL WAS THE MACROSS IN THAT!?!?

I won't deny that the end was beautiful, but putting into context that this has Macross in the name makes this series make ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.
Jan 26, 2016 5:12 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty lame OVA all things considered. Too convoluted for the time it was given and barely felt like Macross.

Aries was kind of a marked woman considering how she doesn't show up at all in the main series. I guess this freed up Focker to go ahead and start seeing Claudia
Nov 15, 2016 4:50 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
nice series!!!
The air battle was incredible!!
The animation draw, spectacular!!
The plot, fanciful, but the mixed action, love and drama was perfect!!!

8/10.
Mar 18, 2017 8:38 AM

Feb 2010
After reading the comments here I can tell that people who bothered to reply are "shallow with paper thin characters and lack substance", not the show.
I was quite sceptical at first, but then I realised that Macross Zero is way ahead of it's audience. Seriously, if none had noticed any good about it, I'm surprised they kept watching to this ep!

Not often do I see a show that could actually take on such unpopular and mature themes as this one does, and accomplish that too!
A lot of people think they care for the world or humanity, and many say the same, but realy, can you - when you can't even love someone, even yourself - realy do any good? This show goes beyond character drama - that's why it doesn try to ENTERTAIN you with antics and witty dialogue or put you on emotional roller coaster. Some people did put it on a favorites, so not everyone are hopeless on MAL. I would say, it made me feel like I was watching a real movie that I was a part of - not meaning inside, but outside. This picture realy feels like it tells you something and not in a lecturing way. Such are real and precious. But you, the majority of MAL, are overfed and malnourished at the same time with mediocre shows that don't aspire to leave a lasting impression. I'm happy I finaly took time to complete watching this. Sure it doesn't have much to do with Macross or jetfights - how misleading! I'm glad I didn't pick it expecting war movie, but I believe it has enough of action to satisfy such interest. Overal, I'd say it has enough of everything, the pacing is near perfect, though sometimes it looks to be cut too abruptly, but not in important parts. But above all that, I want to thank the director for taking such risks and not being affraid of bad reviews that would surely follow such daring work, that would talk about Love and Life with such sincerity and insight. Usualy it isn't done so. Somehow it doesn't make me feel sad after the end, but rather loving and hopeful.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Dec 14, 2017 4:54 PM

Mar 2012
Story was immensely average. Kinda glad i didn't start Macross with this, I don't think I would have continued on. The criticisms i have for it are that it mostly feels immensely like a non canon piece of work. It doesn't fit at all with what gets presented in the other Macross's and beyond Sheryl and a homage "movie" in Frontier, this doesn't whatsoever fit into the Macross continuity.

Beyond that, i'd agree with the 2nd post on this thread, feels like the writer saw Atlantis and got inspired to try and make an imitation of it. Nothing really original or inspiring about this show.

Still, as always, Macross has some of the best combat/battle animations and this was just a gorgeous watch in that regard...although it's only redeeming quality.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Feb 12, 2019 11:23 AM

Mar 2016
Re-watched: A beautiful and moving piece.

Sara in her role as priestess does everything she can to keep order on her island, even if she sacrifices her happiness to do so and keep the community at what is essentially cultural and technological standstill. And even after the island community has been completely destroyed, is led unwittingly (forced really) into the role of a sort of goddess of calamity. The song of destruction is that kind of 'necessary' violence that would end all conflict on Earth. And then, Shin rising from under the sea and into the sky, as in between tragedy and hope. The sea and the sky are very similar after all. It is a song in the end that moves everything....

People complaining that this isn't Macross, when it's a weird spiritual prequel that mirrors a lot of what is in the franchise, though obfuscates it in a strange yet thoughtful way.
syncrogazerFeb 12, 2019 11:30 AM
Sep 22, 2019 3:28 PM

Feb 2012
So were the protoculture (who I thought were just ancient humanoids) the bird humans or is the bird human a creature created by the humanoid protoculture?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 20, 2020 4:11 PM

Aug 2017
Pretty nice OVA overall, I liked the feel more than Plus. The ending gave me some EoE flashbacks, and Shin and Sara folding away was kinda...abrupt, but I'll live with that. "Open ending", as they call it. Just as with the characters of SDF Macross, the viewer can imagine what happened to the heroes afterwards.
I presume that the UN forces cancelled their operation and didn't destroy the island? And the existence of Protoculture..? What of it? What effect does it have on later decisions? Seemingly none, but maybe because humans didn't know Zentradi's connection to the Protoculture and couldn't connect the dots. Though at some point they did bring that up, afaik. But I'm not sure if the protoculture-related research was not from Zentradi themselves. Anyway, good OVA, looking forward to 7, F and Delta!
St0rmbladeJul 20, 2020 4:20 PM
Oct 22, 2020 11:18 PM

Jan 2010
So the plan was to control the big alien monster, and if that didn't work, blow it to hell and hope it works? There are many, many ways this plan could go awry, and the easiest would be the big alien monster eating the most advanced human weapons for breakfast. That being said, this was another story of humanity discovering an unknown power, and their most immediate concerns were "can we weaponize this?" and "can we destroy it?" It's a bleak and pessimistic view on humanity, holding on a sliver of optimism for bits of humanity somehow managing to overcome that destructive urge with love, compassion, and selflessness. It's certainly a hard-earned message, but it's one that still needs to be retold as much as possible.
Dec 15, 2020 12:04 PM
Dec 2019
Stoner voice: "Make love and not war mannnn"

Heavily reminiscent of Xam'd Lost Memories and a bunch of Ghibli anti-war movies. It's certainly sincere, but I've grown tired of these kinds of things. You know, the kind of thing where the peace of nature and the love of the primitive peoples is contrasted with the hatred and lust for power of the militarized first world countries. Yeah, it's true; the folklore and culture of these primitive peoples show more of a respect for nature and for man to fear the divine rather than try to build too high out of hubris. But let's not act like any culture was ever peaceful before the white man came. The Native Americans knew how to wage war very well.

The other conceit is that it assumes that war is mostly predicated on anger and hatred, which means that love is the answer. This is reflected in its portrayal of the combatants as more driven by emotion than tactics, which, realistically, would get you court martialed. Of course it's true that a lot of war is based on cultural differences and religious intolerances, but even at the most basic level a lot of it is about resources and land. The show doesn't give much of a background for the conflict between the UN and the Anti-UN forces except for a few flashbacks of individual soldiers seeing their homes and families get destroyed, boiling it down to anger and hatred. The show also fails to account for nationalism, which is correlated to the desire for wealth for MY country. I want to live in a prosperous country where I can raise my family comfortably so I'm going to do that by taking things from other people. By all indication of its anime production, Japan is firmly anti-war. Yet, its nationalism has not wavered. You see in shows like Gasaraki and Ghost in the Shell SAC that Japan resents the fact that the US is the dominant superpower in terms of both military might and economic might.

Believe it or not, Kemono Souja Erin, a show aimed at kids, explores the issue with much greater nuance when it shows a primitive, peaceful people waging war because they were tired of being cold and hungry all the time. For all the author's love of animals and child-rearing, she was aware that the cute animal you raised from birth can just as easily turn into a beast, mirroring human nature and civilization.
Jun 16, 2022 5:47 PM

Apr 2010
Just remember everyone. The happy ending is knowing that
Dec 22, 2022 2:44 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Best of macross ovas for me.
But welp, bad ending unfortunately
Mar 2, 2023 7:22 PM

Feb 2016
Macross 0 is an apt title for an anime with 0 redeeming qualities. Macross 2, Macross Plus, and even Dynamite 7 are better.
その目だれの目?
May 27, 2023 7:13 AM

Oct 2020
Love this OVA so much, it got me into the franchise

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Zero Episode 1 Discussion

aero - Dec 7, 2008

32 by Eziprez »»
Jul 22, 2022 11:33 PM

Poll: » Macross Zero Episode 4 Discussion

aero - Dec 9, 2008

16 by Shocked »»
Oct 22, 2020 11:18 PM

Poll: » Macross Zero Episode 3 Discussion

aero - Dec 9, 2008

26 by Shocked »»
Oct 22, 2020 11:17 PM

Poll: » Macross Zero Episode 2 Discussion

aero - Dec 7, 2008

19 by Shocked »»
Oct 22, 2020 11:17 PM

» Two few have watched this one!

Mad - Mar 12, 2007

29 by Manu_ »»
Jan 13, 2017 11:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.