Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 » ... Last »
Aug 8, 2013 2:39 AM

Sep 2012
skudoops said:

For a series? Yeah, I think the only thing I like more is MSMM's surreal aesthetic. The end there was really close to OVA like Unicorn and Eva Rebuilds though.. I was like wow.

funny that, first thing i thought once it got past episode 15 was that this looks remarkably close to as good or if not better (as was the case in the last few episodes) than my evangelion blurays.
Aug 16, 2013 12:23 AM

Jan 2011
What more can you say. GOD TIER.

Galaxies as shuriken, wtf.

And that bittersweet ending...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 21, 2013 5:04 PM
Mar 2013
Real quick, does anyone have the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann combing speech in Romaji or Kanji? I've been looking all over for it and I can't find it everywhere.
Aug 21, 2013 5:06 PM

Aug 2013
Yoko's too hot.

Aug 23, 2013 11:04 PM

Mar 2012
Just finished my re-watch. Fucking incredible in every way. Nia disappearing may take the feels cake, but my emotions during the last few episodes were all over the place. FUUUUUUUUAOSUDHOAUSHD.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 25, 2013 12:25 AM

Aug 2009
Bittersweet ending indeed; more bitter than sweet though. As someone else mentioned, Simon and Yoko, who sacrificed a lot throughout the series deserved something more. But then again, quite possible that they were happy with the way things turned out...

And to the ones lashing out to others just because they didn't like the ending, think of it this way: when watching a series, a lot of people think about what *they* would have wanted if they were the MC. I'm pretty sure a small percentage the folks who wanted a happy ending for Simon X Yoko felt that way because that's what they would have wanted. I know, it doesn't gel with the story/progression but that's how it is. :)

EDIT: My 42nd post: surely means something? ;)
sanjaytsAug 25, 2013 12:34 AM
Aug 25, 2013 3:41 AM

Aug 2013
Bitter sweet. Very nice. A fantastic end to a fantastic series.
As much as I love this show, I'd hate to see a sequel of any kind because, really, how could any continuation be on par with this?! I mean, can you get any crazier than throwing fucking galaxies at each other? LOL.
I know there will never be a sequel, but I just wanna get my voice out haha.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Aug 25, 2013 7:24 AM

Sep 2012
StillSwingin007 said:
can you get any crazier than throwing fucking galaxies at each other? LOL.

uhh yes, believe it or not, try the second movie, makes the end of the series look tame(er)
Aug 25, 2013 6:26 PM

Aug 2013
eldest said:
StillSwingin007 said:

uhh yes, believe it or not, try the second movie, makes the end of the series look tame(er)

Actually?? Are the movies even good?
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Aug 25, 2013 7:11 PM

Jan 2013
StillSwingin007 said:
eldest said:
StillSwingin007 said:

Yes Sir.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 25, 2013 7:11 PM

Sep 2012
StillSwingin007 said:
eldest said:
StillSwingin007 said:

1st one is mainly a recap bar the ending. if youre a fan, you;ll probably enjoy it
second one is a recapo till about the halfway point (space arc)
then it starts getting absolutely fucking ridiculous.
you can see both imagedumps ive posted in either movie thread (screens from the bluray set) if youre interested.

if you can be bothered waiting, heres a spoiler for how crazy it ends up getting

*edit, apparently embedding images has been temporarily disabled, just copy and paste the url into your search bar
imagedump from the second movie with working links here
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=154286&show=220#msg23535083
eldestAug 25, 2013 7:17 PM
Sep 10, 2013 7:43 PM

Feb 2011
The show is good, however even if the last episode was epic, the last five minutes pissed me off. So much characters are gone and in counterpart they do no deliver that much of an happy ending, it's just bitter. Damn japanese it's always the same with them, they just can't let it go, it's either you die or you lose the girl... Can't they allow someone to win it all ? Bless the american comics, at leat Spiderman can save Mary-Jane, the World and comeback home with his girl to eat a pizza.
TBSMSep 10, 2013 7:57 PM
Forever Berserk
Sep 11, 2013 7:36 PM

Jan 2011
I think some of the characters appear a bit old, when it's only been twenty years. Actually all of the "older" ones. Simon, Yoko, Rossiu. Viral didn't really change. It's especially a stark contrast to Gimmy and Darry. They are a good bit younger, But 10+ years? They were Teenagers in the second part, so at least as old as Simon in the first part, probably older. After 20 years, the difference shouldn't be that big.

Of course depends on a lot of factors like lifestyle and genes, but it looked more like they were only 5 years older, and the others 30+.

And too bad that both Simon and Yoko drew the short straw. Yoko even twice in a way, she surely would have been happy with Kittan judging from that one scene. And that the ring stopped in front of Yoko could be taken as sign, too.

It's not like not being in love helped the others like Zorthy or Kid though. TTGL actually has quite a high death count, even more so for a generally uplifting show. But maybe that was exactly the point - don't let bad things drag you down.

Overall the show was totally over the top, sometimes a bit too much probably, throwing galaxies at each other, really? They could have at least put a bit more effort into it, it did look stupid.

A sequel would be nice, if it's any similar i would surely enjoy it. Would be difficult to find an approriate story though. Additional side stories are easier, theres a lot one can do in 7 years..some have been busy, like Simon with his paperwork, other a bit less, Yoko didn't look exactly stressed when she arrived at the school, more like she was roaming several years and only recently decided to become a teacher.
Sep 12, 2013 2:11 AM

Jul 2013
Finish watching this. It succeeded my expectations.

Lesson learnt: FUCK LOGIC, WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!

11/10
Sep 17, 2013 10:15 PM
Sep 2013
I watched this half a year ago, and it still lives on.
After the final episode and the epilogue, I really just wanted to give Yoko and Simon a hug; I understand they wanted to keep a lower profile, but come on, wish the producers would give them a bit more credit for saving the universe (especially considering them being the first characters introduced).
All in all the series is a 100% for me.
Sep 19, 2013 10:33 AM

May 2011
Something has been gnawing at me for a while.

I really love the music of TTGL. But there is one piece of music I want to add to my collection that isn't part of the OST. This music is a version of Libera Me From Hell, a somber version of it. The only times it I believe it plays is at the very beginning of this episode when the Anti-Spiral is interrogating Nia and when they are trapped in the Death Spiral Machine and they discover the previous Spiral warriors who came before them (right before Simon decides to head to the DSM's center).

Does anybody know what this song is called and where I can possibly download an mp3 of it? I'd GREATLY appreciate any help in this.
Sep 19, 2013 3:41 PM

Sep 2012
dajayman said:
Something has been gnawing at me for a while.

I really love the music of TTGL. But there is one piece of music I want to add to my collection that isn't part of the OST. This music is a version of Libera Me From Hell, a somber version of it. The only times it I believe it plays is at the very beginning of this episode when the Anti-Spiral is interrogating Nia and when they are trapped in the Death Spiral Machine and they discover the previous Spiral warriors who came before them (right before Simon decides to head to the DSM's center).

Does anybody know what this song is called and where I can possibly download an mp3 of it? I'd GREATLY appreciate any help in this.

i know the track youre talking about, as far as i know, there is no mp3/ost that has it.
ill have another look for you later on tonight
Sep 26, 2013 2:51 PM
May 2013
In the end Yoko turned into a old guy.
I must say the character animation was horrible, but I loved how they made the space.
Now I want to watch the movies in the wrong order death Kamina->alive Kamina.
Oct 1, 2013 12:32 AM

Aug 2012
Took me way too long to get around to watching this anime, but it was worth the wait. Simply put: it's insanely great. I finally see why it gets all the good reviews and hype. It's so high quality, and takes "epic" and "over the top" to a whole new level.
Oct 3, 2013 12:00 AM
Sep 2012
I don't know how I feel about Simon at the end, just... :/
Oct 4, 2013 9:20 PM

May 2011
No word on that track, sadface...

Other than that, I find it funny that in 27 years everybody ages quite visually except for Leeron.
Oct 5, 2013 2:44 AM

Sep 2012
dajayman said:

Other than that, I find it funny that in 27 years everybody ages quite visually except for Leeron.

sorry i didnt get back to you earlier, i checked all 50+ tracks from both discs of the OST
its not on there, and i couldnt find any version on youtube.
shame. that composition of libera me from hell was quite good.
Oct 5, 2013 9:48 PM
Sep 2013
eldest said:
dajayman said:

sorry i didnt get back to you earlier, i checked all 50+ tracks from both discs of the OST

Maybe someone could mix out the dialect and post it on youtube... :P
Oct 6, 2013 5:42 AM

Sep 2012
Gibsonxx said:
eldest said:
dajayman said:

Maybe someone could mix out the dialect and post it on youtube... :P

i know how to do that, but it wouldnt work with the anti spirals voice, both english dub and japanese sub have an echoed voice right across the channel. it would sound like crap if i even tried.
Oct 6, 2013 8:53 AM
Feb 2012
10/10, hands down.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Oct 12, 2013 3:33 PM

Jun 2013
I just finished crying tears of man-joy
Oct 13, 2013 8:51 AM

Apr 2009
best anime made in history
Oct 15, 2013 10:06 PM

Jun 2013
Hated the ending so much, felt like Simon was wondering the planet as a drunk. No relationships happened which bummed me out, mia gon (wtf) and yoko looked lonely as hell. I can see how some people like this episode but i didn't at all. I think this ending imo ruined the series for me.
Oct 17, 2013 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty cool.
Oct 21, 2013 8:18 AM

Oct 2012
Lord Genome, you're a good guy afterall :(
No Nia, don't leave Simon alone T_T
Aw, Viral with Immortal body

For me, I don't quite really fond of the ending... I'm not satisfied tbh
Now, it's the time!! Resurrect all the dead Dai-Gurren team!!

ArufeimKirra said:
Lesson learnt: FUCK LOGIC, WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!

Who need oxygen in outer space anyways??
"Signature removed"
Nov 10, 2013 6:02 AM

Apr 2011
I'm curious where episode 1 came into place now.. After seeing the whole series no where did we see that bit in it... So curious !!!XX
Nov 10, 2013 7:03 AM

Sep 2012
giraffesyo said:
I'm curious where episode 1 came into place now.. After seeing the whole series no where did we see that bit in it... So curious !!!XX

popular fan theory puts it as an alternate reality stemming from the multidimensional labyrinth in episode 26.
when questioned about it, gainax essentially said 'yeah, why not'

the official statement given by gainax was along the lines of the prologue of ep 1 being their idea of what would happen with the show, but that idea was scraped when they decided to take it a different direction, hence why they've sorta hand waved it and accepted the fan theory as canon
Nov 13, 2013 1:07 PM

Jun 2011
I felt the need to post my thoughts about Gurren Lagann a year after my second viewing:

This anime was so FREAKING AWESOME that I just had to watch it twice. I especially love how over the top this anime is. Sure, everyone loves their deep and logical plot but Gurren Lagann has the one thing that made me love anime as a whole: "Heart". Lots and lots of blood boiling action with otherworldly amounts of HEART! It made the whole experience so much better.
Simon's drill has definitely pierced through infinity and beyond, earning it a well deserved 10/10.

Nov 15, 2013 7:19 PM

Apr 2013
I feel like I'm about to cry. I loved it so much. omg. T.T

I cant stop smiling. My brain hurtz T.T I am going to sleep now.. for about a year.. Cya!

T.T & ;)
Nov 20, 2013 7:02 PM

Jul 2013
yep.. that got me sweating through my eyes allright... I guess all I can say is it was a epic ride... thanks people behind this one, you are awesome
Nov 20, 2013 7:04 PM

Jan 2009
Patureau said:
yep.. that got me sweating through my eyes allright... I guess all I can say is it was a epic ride... thanks people behind this one, you are awesome

watch the 2 movies too especially the 2nd movie since its more epic
Nov 21, 2013 12:24 AM

Sep 2012
j0x said:
more epic

those words don't even begin to fathom the possibility of describing it correctly
Nov 21, 2013 12:31 AM

Jan 2009
eldest said:
j0x said:
more epic

those words don't even begin to fathom the possibility of describing it correctly

i can only agree
Nov 21, 2013 10:26 PM

Sep 2013
Just finished it for the 1st time. Im fucking pissed. Yoko gets to die alone after experiencing 2 deaths like that and people call this a good ending?!?!
Nov 23, 2013 11:17 AM

Dec 2012
I'm nearly at a loss of what to say, I'm sure randomly pounding the keyboard would probably convey my feelings better at this point. That fight with solar systems, galaxies, nebulas, and the universe itself was cosmologically awesome, the spiral king redeemed himself and that finale was as grand as it gets.

The aftermath was bittersweet, especially the wedding and departure of Nia and Simon. Something about the 20 year time skip really got to me too, just seeing everyone older and how distant everything seemed to them at that point. Seeing Nia and Kamina's graves side by side was very powerful as well.

Overall, I misjudged this series. It's taken me two years to finally man up and go through it. It's ironic, back in the earliest episodes I was dreading 27 episodes of it, now that I'm at the end I can't help but want to see more. Great series worthy of its praise, an easy 9/10 from me.

Old_Raven said:
Just finished it for the 1st time. Im fucking pissed. Yoko gets to die alone after experiencing 2 deaths like that and people call this a good ending?!?!

To Yoko, the children that she taught were precious to her. I think that despite all of the heartbreak she went through, she was happy to have been able to live the rest of her days leading the future generations down a brighter path free of the struggles and strife she underwent.
ZekkenshinNov 23, 2013 11:22 AM
Nov 24, 2013 2:14 AM

Apr 2013
An easy 10/10. Now I know why this anime is hailed as a legend.
Powerful eyebrows.
Nov 24, 2013 10:41 AM

Nov 2013
I liked the ending I guess, but I still don't understand what everyone sees in this show
Nov 30, 2013 11:15 AM

Sep 2013
my drill is the drill that will pierce the heavans!!!

god i love it :)

everything about it was great

my first and NO WAY the last mech anime :D

10/10
i got no gif for my signature..... imagine some cool swords clashing and light and fighting everywhere!
Dec 4, 2013 4:34 AM
Sep 2013
What a disappointment.

Sloppy art, an inconsistent story, one dimensional generic characters, and laughably ridiculous mecha design through the bulk of the series leave me dumbfounded as to how it's so popular.

And it's not like they just didn't know how to make the show have some depth; the whole plot arc that took place from episodes 18-24 are actually extremely well done. Those seven episodes take the show to a much higher level of quality thanks to the jump seven years into the future. Due to the characterse being older, they're far more mature and serious about their goal of protecting the human race. With Nia suddenly appearing to be the enemy, and the internal conflict between members of the old Team Gurren, the show finally seemed to have added some much needed drama to go a long with the fighting. Even character development was improved upon during those episodes as it showed what the main characters had been doing during those past seven years.

But for some reason, after episode 24, the show went back to being the old campy, repetitive brawl-fest it was before. The confusing thing about all this is that despite the show lacking anything resembling depth other than those seven episodes, people still feel this show is amazing.

I don't know. Maybe you just have to be a shounen fan to be able to truly appreciate this show. But for me, there are just waaaay too many shirtless guys screaming about manliness trying to prove that their dick is bigger by obtaining progressively larger mechas, which they can only really get by penetrating them with a drill...
Dec 7, 2013 4:11 PM
Feb 2013
Izaac Newton and Erwin Schrödinger spin in their graves.

All the "oh, we're in trouble, no wait, we have spiral power out of our asses hearts" scenes, which pretty much cover 90% of the action, got quite old in the second part of the series. Not to mention that they didn't make any sense (it's not that I was trying to find one either, at least after watching first few episodes).

Yoko is clearly a femme fatale. Everytime she kisses a guy, he dies violently.

It was overally fun, but there was nothing shocking in it.
I guess it would be awesome for me, if I were twelve again.
kcuf
Dec 8, 2013 11:09 PM

Aug 2013
Why did the ending suck so hard? I don't understand why Seamoan couldn't use his spiral power to stop Nia from fading away
Dec 9, 2013 12:04 AM

Oct 2012
Haytin said:
Why did the ending suck so hard? I don't understand why Seamoan couldn't use his spiral power to stop Nia from fading away

he can but he didn't want to. i forgot the reason why he didn't want to, try rewatching episode 27 again
My biggest regret is using my real name as my user name.

The continuous pursuit of finding that genuine thing.
Dec 9, 2013 7:43 AM

Aug 2013
Kyzen said:
Haytin said:

he can but he didn't want to. i forgot the reason why he didn't want to, try rewatching episode 27 again

I know he can I just don't understand why he didn't soooo dumb
Dec 9, 2013 8:11 AM

Sep 2012
Haytin said:

I know he can I just don't understand why he didn't soooo dumb

because if you actually listened to what was stated in the episode and the conversation between simon and the anti spiral, abusing spiral power is what leads to the spiral nemesis

this is also stated so clearly that even a retard could understand by simon to gimmy
'if we brought back the dead, they would only get in the way of the future generations'

i agree, you are quite dumb
Dec 9, 2013 8:20 AM

Jun 2013
I bet my ass , I will show this anime to my kids one day.
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Pages (24) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

broaz - Jul 29, 2007

194 by phantom346 »»
Mar 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.