Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 11, 2013 11:37 PM

Mar 2013
Fantastic episode. I'll admit the first two were slow and I even found them a bit boring but this one was simply beautiful and a very welcome change of pace in my playlists filled with Gundam 00, BokuTomo and other kind of series. 5/5 hands down.
Apr 3, 2013 11:37 PM

Mar 2012
This was definitely the best episode so far, as it introduced and satisfyingly developed a thoroughly endearing character. The episode, as a whole, was impressively balanced and well-paced, moving between Shiori’s intriguing development and a plethora of seemingly mundane and often tangential interactions rather skillfully, culminating with Tamako and Shiori’s conversation, which essentially wove these slightly disparate elements into one interconnected whole. The methodical pacing has been quite refreshing, particularly in this episode, but if the relative absence of a narrative persists, this particular element could eventually transition into a slightly tedious flaw.

Dera remains thoroughly enjoyable, as he illustrates an interesting differentiation from the predictably inoffensive personalities of the other characters, particularly noticeable in regards to the character interactions, which tend to possess a certain element of surprise whenever he’s directly involved. His failed attempts to affectionately ingratiate himself with Shiori, in particular, were hilariously unique to KyoAni’s stylistic tendencies. The most amusing of which was their final moment together, wherein she detachedly dismisses his vaguely romantic advances. Kanna continues to provide some of the most effective comedy, since, along with Dera, she easily possesses the most enjoyable personality. Aside from Dera, Kanna, and Shiori, to an extent, the characters remain fairly devoid of compelling characterization, but, thankfully, their interactions don’t suffer as a result. However, I’m hoping this fairly noticeable flaw will be gradually altered as the story progresses.

My favorite sequence was the simplistically poignant scene in which Shiori shyly attempts to construct an appropriate response to Tamako’s kindness by chaotically rehearsing for her reflection in the mirror. This momentary rumination beautifully conveyed a plethora of previously unrealized emotions within her development, all of which were excellently accentuated by the wistful musical selection. As such, there’s a certain complexity illuminated within her characterization that is quite intriguing.

Although she’s intermittently enjoyable, Tamako continues to be one of the weaker characters, since, though her characterization is thoroughly defined, her portrayal remains surprisingly thin, as she seems to possess this somewhat naïve indifference towards those around her. As such, she noticeably lacks a particularly compelling personality, relying on a tenuous grasp of the developments that occur in her periphery. This dynamic is rather necessary in order to infuse a sense of intrigue within a potentially heightened focus on her. Thankfully though, she rarely exists as a singular entity worth examining, which has allowed each episode to be quite consistent. As such, this slightly unfortunate monotony within her development, though not entirely detrimental, has been immensely more effective when isolated as a marginally ancillary thread within the story.

The material throughout this episode was delicately handled, striking an impressive balance between it’s comedic elements and the numerous moments of character development. This greatly elevated the execution of the episode as a whole, since, rather than a seemingly meaningless diversion, Shiori’s interwoven development felt essential to the narrative’s progression. It was an excellently simplistic approach towards introducing a character. There’s an inherent intimacy of a friendly nature between the majority of the characters, which beautifully illuminates a subtle connection that is quite satisfying in it’s ability to accentuate an appropriately informal atmosphere. This, in turn, improves the interactions between the primary cast of characters, which has solidified itself as the most impressive aspect of the show.

The restrained direction really complemented the atmosphere present throughout the episode, particularly in relation to Shiori’s character development, since several integral moments were very subtly framed in order to emphasize the relative isolation that Shiori felt, thus benefiting the emotion that was filtered into the episode. One of the most impressive directorial touches was the implementation of rather insightful bits of narration from Dera, as they superbly encompassed the depth in this particular episode. Musically, this episode was surprisingly poignant, as a melancholic tranquility permeated Shiori’s growth throughout.

Visually, this episode was quite beautiful, especially it‘s background art. This, of course, was most evident during the few sequences that lingered on the sakura petals, which were particularly stunning. They slightly elevated the emotion within Shiori’s understated character development, as she partially shed her emotional fragility as the episode progressed. The animation was excellent, particularly in it’s illumination of the finer nuances within Shiori’s expressions, which heavily assisted in the portrayal of her rather significant character development throughout this episode. The subtle flickers of movement and emotional flourishes greatly contributed to the effectiveness of numerous moments, such as, most notably, the conversation between Tamako and Shiori in the coffee shop.

Tamako Market continues to be the best show of the season, as the execution has been consistently impressive throughout the first three episodes, excelling especially with it’s dynamic and immensely engaging character interactions. The narrative, at times, is a bit too fragmentary, but, for the most part, the abundance of shifts within the comprehensive perspective throughout the majority of episodes has occasionally improved the story, since, rather than unraveling through a focus solely on Tamako, the variety of partially dichotomous characters and the setting itself are essentially explored through numerous personalities and reactive tendencies that are refreshingly divergent. As a result, the narrative does, in fact, feel rather aimless, lacking in a consistent focus, and yet, despite this slight imperfection, it rarely tends to detract from the story’s quality.
May 4, 2013 10:46 AM

Sep 2011
Previous episodes were a bit better, but it was still fun :)
May 21, 2013 8:51 AM

May 2012
So shy that it becomes cute! Good that they're friends now :D
Jul 12, 2013 4:11 AM

Nov 2012
holy shiet! XD new girl show up! XD finally "MEGANNEEEEEE XD" *kyaaaaaa XD
she is really beautiful XD lol XD
she is dere dere and name is shiori XD damn damn damn so cute XD
Aug 17, 2013 1:13 AM

Dec 2010
Whaaaa! I'm really loving this anime so far. All the characters are so cute and omg Shiori being introduced here. OMG SHES SO CUTEEEEEE ANND EVERYONE ELSEEEE WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Oct 24, 2013 9:05 AM

May 2013
Nice character development
Nov 11, 2013 1:34 AM

Jan 2012
can't get over the gay bird...

this is as far as I go...
Nov 25, 2013 4:05 AM

Jun 2013
I don't think its possible for this series to get any more adorable, and Tamako is one of my favorite main characters in a while! :)
Jan 9, 2014 6:10 AM

Sep 2011
If Azusa (from K-ON!) grew up just a tiny bit and started wearing glasses, she would look exactly like Shiori.

That being said, loved this episode! Very relaxing and heartwarming. :)
Feb 6, 2014 1:58 PM
May 2011
Is there anyone in this show that isn't freaking adorable?!
Mar 20, 2014 10:42 AM

Aug 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
http://i45.tinypic.com/b82tdw.png

Dat glasses. An alright episode imo although Asagiri is still serious as ever. Well, I'm glad she had fun this episode and has a good friend like Tamako. 4/5.

OMG
You guys seriously watching anime in that horrible quality?!
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 7, 2014 11:59 PM

Mar 2014
Shiori kawaii!!!
Dera I feel for ya ..
Its really hard to openly say what you want to say clearly ...because "Shy" word is there ...BUT..
I'm really proud of you shiori :D
Dera.. Feel for... ya... (Again...)
Great ending I suppose :)
Pretty good episode!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2014 10:11 AM

Feb 2014
Shiori is probably the only Megane girl I like. And yeah, that bird was actually useful, unlike the previous 2 episodes where he feels like he doesn't belong in this show and instead just walked in from some other show.
Sep 23, 2014 4:16 PM

Aug 2009
yay

feels like yui and azusa except a lot more shy O_O

bath me gusta

restroom practice me gusta

bird is actually good for once (poor bird ;_;)

awkward home visit

aaaaaaaand she says it!
sweet jesus have mercy
2moe4me
Sep 23, 2014 4:22 PM

Aug 2009
Hydnlife said:
cambot1337 said:
LMAO

nice house.

dammit almost forgot this gal since shiori and tamako overshadowed the whole ep
Nov 24, 2014 4:11 AM

Sep 2013
Leagues better than the previous two episodes. The double glasses scene was too fucking cute (Tama with glasses heavily reminded me of Taigei wearing those same glasses). My only complaint, of course, is that it's far too slow.
Dec 21, 2014 1:37 PM

Nov 2014
Shiori is adorable! Dera's constant attempts to court her were hilarious.
Jun 8, 2015 5:06 PM

Sep 2011
This ep felt really forced, its just really generic and felt like this exact episode has been done a million times over, yet again the only thing making the series have personality is the bird

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 26, 2015 4:10 PM

Feb 2014
Tbh while my yuri senses were also tingling this episode, Shiori needs some more development, just like the other human characters. The bird was really fun, but Tamako, Shiori, etc just seem a bit too two dimensional. Tamako is basically just mochi obsessed and nice. Shiori is just shy and aloof. Kanna (I think, it's the girl whose dad is a carpenter) just is airheaded and likes fixing/building things.
I still have hope though, there's still 9 episodes to go.

Nov 21, 2015 1:50 AM

Apr 2009
Can someone kill that bird for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2016 8:25 PM

Sep 2015
This has been my favorite episode so far. It was focused, as consistently cute and funny as ever, and I really enjoyed the true introduction of Shiori. I honestly thought the arc was going to be, she thought Tamako and her friends are so silly she didn't like them or something. So the revelation that she's just cripplingly shy, was honestly kind of touching and as expected from KyoAni we got some really cute borderline yuri out of Tamako trying to make her open up.

Shiori kind of seeing how much everyone at the arcade loves Tamako, was I think really smart writing even though it kind of hit you over the head with it the second time. I just really like most of the shop owners, and their protective relationship with Tamako is so sweet. My favorite is definitely the coffee shop owner, his whole spiel about being able to communicate more easily with music was perhaps the strongest scene of the episode. I also really enjoyed the characters introducing themselves to the new class. Tamako and Kanna kind of seem forced in their quirkiness sometimes, but Kanna being obsessed with the broken locker was a funny bit throughout the episode.

If I have one complaint, it's honestly Dera. I don't mind his personality or presence most of the time but I don't know it's kind of unsettling to me when he gets all horny over one of the girls. I especially dislike the now multiple scenes of him trying look at the girls in the bath house. It's especially creepy since Anko is there who's portrayed as very young.

Still these are minor scenes though they have big negative impact on me. Now that KyoAni has assembled it's group of girls (and given us the first really great episode while they're at it) I'm interested to see what they do with them.
SubscriberSunJul 2, 2016 8:31 PM
Aug 24, 2016 4:47 PM

Oct 2012
That was really nice. Still too much of that bird, but the directing and writing were more on point here without ever relying solely on cuteness to carry the episode like the previous two had done.

Aside from Dera, I actually think that there's a pretty decent amount of lovable characters being set up here.
Oct 16, 2016 8:59 AM

Dec 2014
asagiri focus this time.. I liked how dera the bird was being made the fool of himself
Nov 5, 2016 8:53 PM

Sep 2011
This series has been hit and miss so far, but the main points in this episode were executed flawlessly. It was quite touching.
Feb 8, 2017 4:21 PM

May 2015
Shiori is so cute. :)

Poor bird :(
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 29, 2017 5:48 PM

Dec 2015
Everything is so kawaii... but then you have Dera who is just cringe enough to cut through it all with his slapstick humour.

What I like the most are the character designs; considering how it's a Kyoani original a lot of the characters seem so familiar: Tamako is almost like a perfect version of Nagase from Kokoro Connect (which is amazing considering how much of a shit-show that series was), also Kanna strongly resembles a young Shouko (Koe no Katachi) with her cute social awkwardness + mumbling.

Overall it's a pretty fun series, character development so far has been pretty solid so I hope they keep things this way.
~
Jan 29, 2018 4:52 PM

Nov 2012
Maybe it's because I'm a natural born extrovert so I can't really understand, but I find myself getting a little tired of the "character seems cold because they don't know how to talk to people and practice in the mirror" cliche.
Nov 26, 2018 6:08 PM

Apr 2015
Gotta love Dera following Shiori around like "SPARE COOCHIE? SPARE COOCHIE MA'AM?".
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 25, 2018 3:20 PM

Jul 2016
Although I'm not really invested in Shiori's personality, I must say she was really cute during this episode. Not to mention that she's nearly a copy of Azu-nyan and that's is always something good.

All in all, it was a good episode but I think the previous ones were better.

P.S.: Anko will be the focus in the next episode? YESSSS.
Mar 7, 2019 5:58 PM
Apr 2016
Awwww Mochimazzi fell for Shiori. Shiori is so anti-social, she's having a hard time, but at the end she went all out hahaha. Cute episode, really cute.
Mar 10, 2019 2:44 PM

Feb 2012
The music is so good when Shiori and Tamako are together around the end.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 30, 2020 4:45 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Fuckin bird Dera trying hard to seduce my beloved girl, Shiori! Seems like as an easy day for it to fall in love to a cute girl, eh? Well, like me too, only now i aggree with that bird in those line, so funny! Nice episode, with so much cuteness from Shiori. Glad she can make it in the end with Tamako. Next episode its time to my loli An-chan to shine! What a lovely day i had!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 22, 2020 9:00 PM

Aug 2019
that was god damn wholesome as SHIT.
Won't lie Shirori and Tamako both look incredibly similar with their hair down. Shirori coming getting the confidence to come out of her shell and thank Tamako was really sweet in my opinion.
Dera my guy swapped from Tamako to Shirori fast xD but too bad my guy got gamerd on and was left in the dust, not once but twice.
Feb 18, 2021 11:57 AM

Jul 2020
I inmensely want any of the characters to start playing football with that stupid bird. It deserves to be hit like a Cafu free kick.

Me? Tamakist. For life.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Feb 19, 2021 2:08 AM

Jul 2014
Holy hell, this show is so boring and cookie-cutter for a KyoAni show. If the bird didn't exist, this show would have no personality at all. And, of course, the problem with that is that the bird is annoying as fuck. Gonna try and give it another episode or two to see if I can be even remotely entertained by this series, but I have no expectations it'll improve.
Feb 22, 2021 3:41 AM

Jul 2019
its hard enjoying this when you have watched K-on and chuunibyou the character designs are too similar blond hair girl keep reminding me of Mio. that was a good episode though
Jun 14, 2021 5:08 AM

Feb 2019
The comedy was pretty good this episode. I chuckled at Dela's attempts to "flirt" with Shiori lol
Oct 1, 2022 1:01 AM

Jul 2019
Poor fat bird getting rejected...

I like Yagi-sensei. He's happy and enthusiastic.

I'd love how the market is just like a big family.
Jun 19, 2023 12:39 PM
May 2023
Literally the cutest anime. That bird is too funny I swear
Jul 7, 2023 5:04 AM

Nov 2018
Shiori is basically me in school years. Every introvert needs a push from a loud bird to finally meet people, we lack initiative.
I hate everyone equally
Jul 7, 2023 5:06 AM

Nov 2018
Honestly, that bird is not even as annoying as some people said.

Anime itself just feels like it goes nowhere, but this problem is not unique to Tamako Market. Most KyoAni shows have really unstable and slow season 1, especially CGDCT-like stuff like K-on/Clannad and now Tamako Market.
ZevvenJul 7, 2023 5:11 AM
I hate everyone equally
Dec 16, 2023 3:23 AM

Dec 2022
I really enjoyed that scene in the music shop/cafe. The interjection of the store owner saying, "music speaks more than words" and his little speech before putting on a track pulls together the scene so well. After that Shiori found the courage to say her thanks, and we got a nice tune in the background. The community in this shopping district is very beautiful.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Mar 6, 2013

178 by Assassin2112 »»
Mar 22, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2013

365 by Estefan »»
Mar 19, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2013

219 by HyperNova06 »»
Jan 24, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2013

224 by katakumplat »»
Jan 7, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2013

174 by katakumplat »»
Jan 4, 4:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.