Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 1, 2013 10:37 PM

Dec 2009
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/japan/121204/sushi-mercury-poisoning-seafood-tuna

It's not my title, it's taken from the article. Misleading as expected.

In short,
owing to pollution, Tuna, other deep sea/big fishes and those on top of the food chains are bad, as they accumulate the heavy metals including Mercury. The metal is especially bad for pregnant women and kids.

But the fishing and sushi industries are unhappy with the reports. I have fish nearly every day but most of them are not the big ones.

Another current concern is hygiene and Norwalk virus which epidemic in the winter. The virus can be found in shellfish like oyster.

BRUSSELS, Belgium — Can eating too much sushi reduce your brain power?

Mercury contamination in big fish such as sharks, swordfish and certain types of tuna is on the rise, and smaller traces of the toxic metal may be enough to cause restricted brain development or other health problems for humans who eat them, according to data released Tuesday.

"Levels of exposure that are defined as safe by the official limits, are actually having adverse effects," said Dr. Edward Groth, author of one of two new reports published ahead of a United Nations conference on mercury pollution.

"These are not trivial effects, these are significant effects," Groth, an adviser to the World Health Organization, told journalists in a web conference. "There does appear to be evidence now, fairly persuasive evidence, that adverse effects occur from normal amounts of seafood consumption."

Scientists have warned about the potential dangers of mercury in seafood since the 1950s when mercury-contaminated waste water was dumped in the sea from a factory in Minamata, Japan. Thousands suffered poisoning, which in extreme cases lead to insanity, deformation and death. Many children whose mothers had eaten contaminated fish were born with severe disabilities.

The mercury levels at Minamata were uniquely high, but since then scientists have sought to discover whether tiny traces of mercury found in seafood across the oceans could have an impact on the health of fish-eating humans.

Although little risk has been detected in most types of fish, the authorities have long warned vulnerable groups, such as pregnant women and small children, to limit their consumption of certain species of big ocean predators.

The European Union recommends pregnant or breastfeeding women not to eat tuna more than twice a week. The US Food and Drug Administration says they should avoid shark, swordfish or king mackerel, although it says some tuna should be included in their diet.

Such guidelines are out of date and stricter rules are needed to avoid the risk that even low levels of mercury could lead to health issues such as impeded brain development in unborn children, according to the new reports which were produced by the Maine-based Biodiversity Research Institute and an international coalition of environmental campaign groups called the Zero Mercury Working Group.

"Recent studies have found adverse effects below exposure levels considered 'safe' just a few years ago," says one report. "Several of these studies clearly show that the consumption of ordinary amounts of fish with higher mercury levels can cause health risks to the developing foetus and children."

The reports call for a new international benchmark for safe mercury consumption, at around one-quarter of the current US recommended dosage. The authors suggest some species with particularly high average mercury levels, like marlin or Pacific bluefin tuna, be left off the menu altogether, while others such as grouper or albacore tuna should be limited to one meal a month.

The fisheries industry frequently counters that mercury reports are scare-mongering by environmentalists and says any risk from mercury is more than outweighed by the health benefits of eating more fish.

According to the US National Fisheries Institute, there has never been a confirmed case of mercury toxicity in the United States through eating commercial seafood. In contrast, it says 84,000 Americans die every year due to a lack of the omega-3 fatty acid commonly found in fish.

The authors of the new report insist they are not seeking to persuade people to stop eating fish. They agree fish is essential for healthy brain development in young children and the unborn. However they caution consumers to be more picky about which species they put on their plates.

"We need to stress the benefits of eating fish and tell people they should continue to do that," said Groth. "Pregnant women in particular can continue to eat fish, but as the evidence gets stronger that smaller doses of mercury can be harmful, consumers need to be better educated and more aware of which fish to choose."

Over two-thirds of all commercial fish species have low levels of mercury and should be eaten regularly, the reports say. That includes haddock, salmon, cod, sardine, herring and sea bass.

More from GlobalPost: Radioactive sushi fear hits market

The reports were released in preparation for a major event hosted by the UN in Geneva, Switzerland, next month which will attempt to draw up an international treaty to limit the use of mercury and eliminate the growing problem of mercury pollution.

“The level of mercury in the Pacific Ocean is projected to increase by 50 percent by 2050, if current pollution trends continue unabated,” Richard Gutierrez, executive director of Ban Toxics!, a Filipino organization that is part of the Zero Mercury coalition.

“This is a wake-up call for all governments to stem the rising tide of mercury pollution and finalize a strong treaty.”

Scientists warn however that even if the treaty does introduce effective pollution controls, it could still take decades, even centuries, before some parts of the deep ocean will see major reductions in mercury levels.

"If we continue as we have been going with marine pollution, with time this is going to make it more and more difficult to find safe seafood," says Philippe Grandjean, chair of environmental medicine at the University of Southern Denmark and professor at Harvard School of Public Health.

"I think the next generation would like us to do the best we can to clean up after ourselves to make sure that seafood in the longterm is safe to consume and we are not polluting the brains of children in the next generation."
bottleJan 3, 2013 6:08 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 1, 2013 10:52 PM

Jun 2008
Oh wow. I wonder if shrimps are also getting it. That's like the only marine food I eat on a fairly weekly basis.

Didn't know mercury pollution was this bad. Thanks for the heads-up. Though the title is way too exaggerated. Too much attention grabbing. Then again it's a newspaper article.
Jan 1, 2013 10:52 PM

Jun 2008
tl;dr......good thing I don't eat sushi!
Jan 1, 2013 10:54 PM

Mar 2012
JustALEX said:
Pretty much this.
Like Tachii, the only seafood I eat is shrimp.
Hopefully they aren't getting infected, the poor bastards.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Jan 1, 2013 11:02 PM

Sep 2010

She was deeply affected with this news...
Jan 1, 2013 11:36 PM

Aug 2012
Holy shit, in November I went to a sushi place everyday for lunch.......
Jan 1, 2013 11:36 PM

Sep 2012
JustALEX said:
tl;dr
^ This.

So sushi is bad for you?

FUCK IT #YOLO
Jan 1, 2013 11:37 PM

Mar 2012
AwesomeCamper said:
Holy shit, in November I went to a sushi place everyday for lunch.......

Well then it looks as though you're going to die soon.

Hope you enjoyed your life.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Jan 1, 2013 11:39 PM

Nov 2011
Good thing I haven't eaten Sushi in years
The Art of Eight
Jan 2, 2013 4:51 AM

May 2009
zetsuboSensei said:

She was deeply affected with this news...

Why was I not surprised to see her?

This is bad if only because I really like seafood but I'm not someone who eats healthy anyway and this Christmas season hasn't helped...
Jan 2, 2013 6:54 AM

Aug 2011
dankickyou said:
Good thing I haven't eaten Sushi in years

How is that even possible, you gotta be a sushi hater to accomplish that feat...
kek
Jan 2, 2013 6:55 AM

Oct 2010
Yeah fuck this, going to eat it anyway.
Jan 2, 2013 6:56 AM

Nov 2011
Never eaten sushi before and don't want to start anytime soon.

Jan 2, 2013 7:28 AM

Aug 2011
KaiserNazrin said:
Never eaten sushi before and don't want to start anytime soon.

Whats with all the people hatin on sushi? I know no people around me who hates them, some vegetarians even consider them fish so is there a special reason for not eating them?
kek
Jan 2, 2013 7:32 AM

Oct 2010
im4eversmart said:
Is there a special reason for not eating them?

They're not Asian.
Jan 2, 2013 9:42 AM

Dec 2011
Sushi is one of my favourite foods but I don't eat it as often so good.
Jan 2, 2013 9:58 AM

Nov 2008
Grouper's on the list, well fuck

Oh and don't eat too much unagi (eel), that has even more mercury than tuna but not as much as sharks.

I don't have eel sushi or grouper often and don't eat tuna these days so I'm good,

Jan 2, 2013 10:13 AM
May 2012
I love sushi.
Jan 2, 2013 10:19 AM

Aug 2011
So it kills your brain and can give you worms.

LET'S EAT.

Jan 2, 2013 10:36 AM

Nov 2008
Itami-chan said:

LET'S EAT.

You can get worms and other parasites from anything even the soil you stand on, most people have at least a tapeworm in their intestines.

Jan 2, 2013 10:44 AM
Mar 2012
Since I am not one of those cool tl;dr kids, I actually read the whole article, sushi alone wouldn't be problem. I consumed it, 2-3~ times in my life. But apparently tuna is dangerous as well, I think I might eat that once in the two months.

Also:
haddock, salmon, cod, sardine, herring and sea bass.

So, if I understand it correctly, a bit of mercury is good for you. And stuff like tuna is bad, because it is an overdose? Can't they tone it down somehow?

I am not sure what that one Chinese soup is called, shark fin. Oh boy, I had that a few times as a kid.

Also, there goes the fish industry, have a safe dive!
Jan 2, 2013 11:08 AM

Aug 2011
Hoppy said:
Itami-chan said:

LET'S EAT.

You can get worms and other parasites from anything even the soil you stand on, most people have at least a tapeworm in their intestines.

Yum.

Jan 2, 2013 11:20 AM

Jul 2012
JustALEX said:

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Jan 2, 2013 4:09 PM

Jun 2012
snore we know this
inb4 someone typing in capitalist critique on the contradictions of environments in capitalism posed by infinite market growth and failing market regulation
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Jan 2, 2013 10:16 PM

Aug 2011
I'll die for sushi.
Jan 2, 2013 11:07 PM

Jul 2010
Hyack said:

Jan 2, 2013 11:42 PM
Sep 2012
Well dam.
I've been eating sushi/sashimi 3-4 times a week since the beginning of last year.
Jan 3, 2013 12:09 AM

Apr 2012
Old news bro. Old news.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 3, 2013 10:32 AM

Aug 2012
My first time was 5days ago. It was ok; the rice was kind weird, i guess that im not used to it and also the sushi restaurants in japan should be way better. Still i tried, all my friends just ordered meat...dumbasses.

Seeing how often i eat sushi, i dont really care.
Jan 3, 2013 2:43 PM

Sep 2012
Good thing I hate sea food. My brain is already damaged enough from ADD.
Jan 3, 2013 2:44 PM
Jul 2012
Sushi is disgusting anyways
Jan 3, 2013 2:54 PM

Jun 2011
Negative-Travis said:
JustALEX said:
Pretty much this.
Like Tachii, the only seafood I eat is shrimp.
Hopefully they aren't getting infected, the poor bastards.

They already are.
Jan 3, 2013 5:59 PM

Nov 2010
I always though sushi was to die for ;)

Although the title and topic is inaccurate- sushi isnt necessarily fish- its a combination of rice and vinegar, and other ingrediants added. sashimi is raw fish or what can go into sushi.
Jan 4, 2013 6:32 PM

Dec 2012
I don't like seafood anyway, so I don't really care.
Jan 4, 2013 7:29 PM

Sep 2011
I neither ate sushi nor seen one. /poor

As for the news, I don't care because I want to try one.

Jan 4, 2013 9:40 PM

Sep 2012
Well that's going to keep people off seafood for a while.

At least that situation isn't as bad as that Korean woman who got impregnated from eating squid. Seriously, wtf...
Hata-tanJan 4, 2013 9:48 PM
Jan 4, 2013 10:40 PM

Nov 2012
Adair said:
I'll die for sushi.

I'll 2nd this. All the stuff I've done in my life so far I know I'm going to die at a young age anyway... Might as well be happy...
Jan 11, 2013 6:43 AM

Dec 2009
Explain why Asians are smart.
Jan 11, 2013 12:59 PM

Jan 2011
That tuna is filled with mercury is really old news.
Now, I eat sushi fairly regularly. Because the city where I live sucks, and it's either that or thai food, and I am so fucking sick of thai food. It's like, you can find a small village with 100 people, they'll have 5 thai food restaurants. It's getting out of hand.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm not a big fan of the tuna anyway. I usually just swap that for another salmon piece, a squid/octopus piece, or eel. So I'm good. :D
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Jan 11, 2013 1:47 PM

Nov 2012
JustALEX said:

Yeah, I feel like the only thing I eat from the sea is seaweed. on like rice crackers and stuff.

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

Jan 11, 2013 8:25 PM

Feb 2012
I don't know about that! Mercury is bad but Japanese people are not only healthy but live longer with sushi has a daily diet
Jan 11, 2013 8:55 PM

Nov 2008
Vinter said:
Now, I eat sushi fairly regularly. Because the city where I live sucks, and it's either that or thai food, and I am so fucking sick of thai food. It's like, you can find a small village with 100 people, they'll have 5 thai food restaurants. It's getting out of hand.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm not a big fan of the tuna anyway. I usually just swap that for another salmon piece, a squid/octopus piece, or eel. So I'm good. :D

Eel has 10x the mercury of the rest of the types of sushi you prefer.

Every fish I enjoy on occasion has a ton of mercury in it, I like grouper, marlins, swordfish, sea bass, eels, etc.

Jan 11, 2013 9:22 PM

Jan 2011
Hoppy said:
Vinter said:

Eel has 10x the mercury of the rest of the types of sushi you prefer.

Every fish I enjoy on occasion has a ton of mercury in it, I like grouper, marlins, swordfish, sea bass, eels, etc.

Can you provide some sources for that? Because all of the studies I'm finding say the exact opposite. That eel generally contains much lower concentrations of mercury than virtually any type of fish.
Jan 11, 2013 9:44 PM

Nov 2008
http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

This tells you most of the high mercury fish and low mercury fish.

Also for the eels thing it depends on the type of eel, some like moray do have that much mercury (and other harmful things if it's farmed). Freshwater eels are lower in mercury.

I'll throw a link for freshwater fish too

http://fish-mercury.findthedata.org/saved_search/Fish-High-in-Mercury

Bass are filled with Mercury as well.

Jan 11, 2013 11:11 PM

Jan 2011
Do humans even eat moray eels? The ones we eat are usually in the Conger genus of the Congridae family of saltwater eels, and the Anguillidae family of freshwater eels.
Jan 12, 2013 2:12 AM

Jan 2013
Honestly, unless you're eating dolphins, the amount of mercury depends solely on where the fish was caught, and it's niche in the web. the higher it is, the more mercury a creature will have.
Jan 12, 2013 3:30 AM

Dec 2012
Fortunately, I eat it less(this is a gwy who English ways faills)
TF. It is good game
Jan 12, 2013 3:34 AM

Dec 2012
Fortunately, I eat it less(This is a guy who English fails)
TF. It is good game
Jan 14, 2013 5:23 AM
May 2009
Depending on where the Marine life is coming from, Will depend on how contaminated they are with heavy metals.

This is nothing new, Considering The Poisoning of Minamata case is pretty much a text book case in alot of chemistry and biology books I've read.
Jan 14, 2013 7:55 AM

Jun 2009
Hyack said:

Lifes too short anyway. :D
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.