Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 17, 2012 2:33 AM

May 2010
I dont know why this anime is so popular is it really that good?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 17, 2012 2:35 AM

Mar 2012
To me yes it is. Don't knnow what other think.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Dec 17, 2012 2:43 AM

Nov 2011
If you want to enjoy FT, stick to the manga only.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Dec 17, 2012 3:09 AM

Apr 2010
Zee530 said:

I second that. I dropped the anime after hearing that there was going to be a very long filler arc. And for some odd reason, there seems to be an awful lot of fanservice recently.
Dec 17, 2012 6:12 AM

Dec 2011
The anime/manga thing is up to you,but I like the anime,to be honest.

Different than most long running shonen adaptions,it is fast paced and there is hardly any filler,except for the last arc,which was a filler arc,that you can just skip.
Dec 17, 2012 6:13 AM

Sep 2012
"That good" is purely subjective. But because of it's popularity, the majority of people who watch it enjoy it.

So yea, according to the majority, it is "that good".
Dec 17, 2012 6:13 AM

Nov 2012
No, it's not. It's as generic as a shonen can get imho.
Dec 17, 2012 9:28 AM
May 2012
Well it is, in my opinion, if you looking for an awesome shounen you should pick it up, has great characters. Also it only has 1 long filler arc, and a small one in the story it isn't plagued with fillers and you can really enjoy it. I like the manga and the anime, you should try both.

Dec 17, 2012 10:08 AM

Nov 2010
It isn't really good, but it isn't horrible. The arcs are very short, which some people say is a good thing, but because of their length they never have that good of a story and I never feel attached to any of the side characters or get emotional in the arc. There's tons of fan service for both genders, and the running gags that they use, get boring within the first 20 episodes. Honestly, I can name more things that I don't like about it than I do. But do watch it if you're interested, just don't expect it to be a 10.
Dec 17, 2012 10:24 AM

Jul 2010
Why even bother making such a thread if you already don't like it? It's only an invitation for fan wars if you ask me.

As for if it's good, yes I think it is. There are likeable characters and there's lots of magic combined with real action (nothing like the ecchi shows that do have magic but that often lack real or good action) which I like and that lacks in other high rated shows like Gintama, Naturo, One Piece, Bleach etc. The arcs are short so they aren't dragged out too much and there are hardly fillers throughout the serie which is a great thing [except the last arc, starting around ep 125 or so].
Plus the OST's are simply amazing.

But then again, why bother asking if you've already decided for yourself that you don't/won't like the anime? :)
Dec 17, 2012 10:45 AM

Nov 2010
Animefanx3 said:
Why even bother making such a thread if you already don't like it? It's only an invitation for fan wars if you ask me.
The person asked what's good about the series because she noticed the popularity, not "I hate it, what's so good about the series anyways?". It seems obvious that she wants to know what's good about the series so she can decide if she wants to start watching it.

As for if it's good, yes I think it is. There are likeable characters and there's lots of magic combined with real action (nothing like the ecchi shows that do have magic but that often lack real or good action) which I like and that lacks in other high rated shows like Gintama, Naturo, One Piece, Bleach etc.
Are you faulting other anime that don't have magic in the setting for not having magic and real action?

The arcs are short so they aren't dragged out too much and there are hardly fillers throughout the serie which is a great thing [except the last arc, starting around ep 125 or so].

But then again, why bother asking if you've already decided for yourself that you don't/won't like the anime? :)
It doesn't have much fillers now, about 38/160, but it will eventually gain more like almost all shounens.

And once again, she hasn't said that she won't like the anime.
Dec 17, 2012 1:01 PM

May 2010
Zee530 said:

I see
People have been talking about it and I feel like I'm behind
I wanted to watch it but damn I hate it when they kinda change the story and long fillers
Dec 17, 2012 6:19 PM

Nov 2011
futilescape said:
Zee530 said:

I see
I wanted to watch it but damn I hate it when they kinda change the story and long fillers

You're female, so stick to the anime. The anime is MUCH more female-friendly and has a LOT less fan service, particularly in the first 100 episodes. There are also just a lot of 'shoujo' elements of the series that are really brought out in the anime (for example- full color means we get to see the really lovely CLAMP-esque costume designs, as well as the full effect of Gray's stripping and Erza's sparkly magical-girl spoofing transformation), which is probably why guys prefer the manga.

Overall though I would say yes, check it out. In general, it is a more female-friendly shounen than say Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.The female characters in it are interesting and go through character development, not to mention there are more main females in the cast than in your average long-running shounen.
AmberlehDec 17, 2012 6:24 PM
Dec 17, 2012 6:47 PM

Aug 2012
Not really, but if a long series with some action and fanservice is your thing I suggest watching it.
Dec 17, 2012 6:48 PM

Nov 2012
If you like "If I scream louder, maybe my power will rise too!" kind of shonen then this is for you.
Dec 17, 2012 8:14 PM

Jun 2011
futilescape said:
Zee530 said:

I see

i understand what you mean but i personally think that Fairy tail's fillers arent that bad. There are alot of other animes with fillers that just mess up the story line. in FT's case it feels like it fits in.

Dec 17, 2012 8:43 PM

Feb 2012
Well, I do like it, but it's a really generic shounen.

For me it just feels good to watch one of these once a week, the sountrack is REALLY, REALLY good in this series, so I really enjoy this show.
Dec 18, 2012 1:28 AM
May 2012
Red_Star said:
futilescape said:
Zee530 said:

I see

i understand what you mean but i personally think that Fairy tail's fillers arent that bad. There are alot of other animes with fillers that just mess up the story line. in FT's case it feels like it fits in.

I agree the FT fillers aren't so bad, some episodes are pretty funny and it isn't annoying to watch, unlike other long running shounen and like every else has said the OSTs are brilliant.

Dec 18, 2012 1:49 AM

Nov 2011
For a shounen, yeah it's pretty good.

I dropped the anime until we get back on track with the manga though. I've had a bad history with fillers, so I just tend to avoid them. Although I will probably go back to see if they are any good, but right now I'm just reading the manga.

Magic, fantasy, action, etc. and started off with a pretty good plot it just kind of took off. I mean sure it is like your typical shounen, but shounens aren't supposed to be over-complicated, complex shows anyway. If you enjoy shounens you probably will enjoy this.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Dec 18, 2012 2:39 PM

Apr 2012
Ozland said:
Well, I do like it, but it's a really generic shounen.

For me it just feels good to watch one of these once a week, the sountrack is REALLY, REALLY good in this series, so I really enjoy this show.

Though I absolutely agree with you on their amazing soundtracks, especially the one of the current intro I disagree on your 'really generic shounen' statement.

It is almost generally accepted, as proven by the responses in this thread, that the anime is very well recepted in the female community.
The only official definition of a shounen is that it is aimed for the male crowd, in particular the ones in the agegroup under 18/21.

Though I agree, FT uses things that fall under the 'shounen success formula', it really is not a 'very generic shounen'. Such a thing does not exist.
Dec 18, 2012 5:17 PM

Aug 2012
If you're a fan of One Piece and Naruto and that kind of stuff, you'd most likely like this one. I prefer it over those 2 animes just because the Arcs are more enjoyable in my opinion, but I'd definitely give it a try.
Dec 19, 2012 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
It's nothing revolutionary but if you're a fan of good shounen then you'll enjoy it.

The fillers are no problem and lasts for 5 eps max, except for that last arc which was 20 episodes. It was justified though because they were planning to go with a 2 chapter/1 episode ratio for the current arc.

The animation is great and the music and OST is honestly one of the best you'll hear. Give it a try!
Dec 21, 2012 2:41 AM

Mar 2010
I enjoyed the anime , even after I dropped the manga at edolas arc and continue fairy tail on the series , all the episodes including the fillers are not really boring. In fact , it is enjoyable and the original soundtracks make it even more 'delicious'.

So yeah :P

Most of the series dislikers probably came from people who read the manga too , that is because they found the anime sometimes does not stick to the manga and thus left them dissatisfied . well , can't blame them , thats the power of manga addict xD

but yeah (lol again) the series rocks too like the manga :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2012 7:40 AM

Dec 2012
Well it is a pretty enjoyable anime but I don't think it as anywhere as amazing as some people have said. The animation looks nice, the soundtrack is great, fights are good and there is alot of fanservice. The overall series has a very lighthearted feel and has plenty of funny moments. In my opinion FT really falls short when it comes to the story which I find to be kinda generic and predictable. A more casual viewer would probably be able to overlook those problems though.

FT is shorter and faster paced, because of its average 2 chapter=1 episode conversion, as well as having not much filler compared to other major shonen series which is why alot of people prefer it over those. However what many people don't realize is that it won't be able to keep it up much longer. The anime is too close to the manga so the anime will have to either lower the chapter-episode conversion which will release more episodes covering less content or they will have to make more and longer filler arcs. Either way, one of the things people love about this series will be gone.
Dec 21, 2012 7:50 AM

Mar 2010
Yes
Dec 21, 2012 10:21 AM
Jul 2012
I've been thinking of dropping the manga recently and if the anime continues like the manga is then I will probably drop that too. I thought the whole tournament thing would be cool but it's starting to get dumb. I won't say why because I would have to give spoilers. Let's just say I think the story is starting to get dumb. I will watch for the combat scenes but at some point in the future I will just drop the whole thing.

Not to mention that Lucy is probably the 2nd most annoying anime character I've ever seen. The first being Kaoru from Rurouni Kenshin of course. But at least Kaoru wasn't a thoughtless ecchi or a pansy. Don't hate me for stating the obvious. Tsunade has epic boobies but at least she's not weak and annoying in an anime designed for the shounen market.

Just my opinion. Don't shoot me for it.
halfchaosDec 21, 2012 10:32 AM
Dec 21, 2012 10:33 AM
Jan 2010
there's a reason it's called fairly gay
Dec 21, 2012 12:23 PM

Apr 2008
It does everything right, for this genre.
Unlike the other long runners, even One Piece does some mistakes.
Bleach: Every single character explains what s/he just did, their attacks that is. I don't want an explenation, just do it and get it over with :P
In Fairy Tail they do just that, attack and call out the name, and moves on.
Naruto: really lame stupid fillers, same with Bleach for the most part.
One Piece has a few fillers, but they're at least good the first time.

Fairy Tail's fillers are all great.

It's not often an anime makes me fist pump in the air, clap and such, Fairy Tail makes me do that a lot XD

It's a MUST watch if you like action shounen.

Dec 25, 2012 2:41 PM

Jul 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
Animefanx3 said:
The person asked what's good about the series because she noticed the popularity, not "I hate it, what's so good about the series anyways?". It seems obvious that she wants to know what's good about the series so she can decide if she wants to start watching it.

As for if it's good, yes I think it is. There are likeable characters and there's lots of magic combined with real action (nothing like the ecchi shows that do have magic but that often lack real or good action) which I like and that lacks in other high rated shows like Gintama, Naturo, One Piece, Bleach etc.
Are you faulting other anime that don't have magic in the setting for not having magic and real action?

The arcs are short so they aren't dragged out too much and there are hardly fillers throughout the serie which is a great thing [except the last arc, starting around ep 125 or so].

It doesn't have much fillers now, about 38/160, but it will eventually gain more like almost all shounens.

And once again, she hasn't said that she won't like the anime.

Well excuse me but it seemed to me that Futilescape meant something along the lines of "just why is this anime popular, are there people who think it's really that good".

And I'm not faulting other anime's for not having a magic setting, when have I ever said that? I'm a big fan of other shounen anime's, especially Gintama and One Piece. As I said "there's lots of magic combined with real action... which I like and that lacks in other high rated shows", I like Fairy Tail because it combines magic and action and it's not an anime with a magic setting but where just nothing happens and the main characer just gets a harem for the sake of it while being a total wimp, which does happen in some other anime's with magic settings. Not all of them but still, quite a few.
Since I don't like anime's like that, I merely stated that I like Fairy Tail because it has magic ánd action, something I miss in other shows.
Dec 25, 2012 2:49 PM

Nov 2010
Animefanx3 said:
Well excuse me but it seemed to me that Futilescape meant something along the lines of "just why is this anime popular, are there people who think it's really that good".

And I'm not faulting other anime's for not having a magic setting, when have I ever said that? I'm a big fan of other shounen anime's, especially Gintama and One Piece. As I said "there's lots of magic combined with real action... which I like and that lacks in other high rated shows", I like Fairy Tail because it combines magic and action and it's not an anime with a magic setting but where just nothing happens and the main characer just gets a harem for the sake of it while being a total wimp, which does happen in some other anime's with magic settings. Not all of them but still, quite a few.
Since I don't like anime's like that, I merely stated that I like Fairy Tail because it has magic ánd action, something I miss in other shows.
You said

"there's lots of magic combined with real action... which I like and that lacks in other high rated shows like Gintama, Naturo, One Piece, Bleach etc."

Which sounds like you are faulting those shows that you mentioned saying that they lack "lots of magic combined with real action", it would have been fine if you used some of those magic harem anime like Maburaho or Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou. But Gintama, One Piece, and Bleach didn't belong there since they don't really have Magic in their settings.
IntroverTurtleDec 25, 2012 2:52 PM
Dec 29, 2012 12:45 AM

Dec 2012
DoomTheWiseWolf said:
If you're a fan of One Piece and Naruto and that kind of stuff, you'd most likely like this one. I prefer it over those 2 animes just because the Arcs are more enjoyable in my opinion, but I'd definitely give it a try.

For me this turned out to be quite the opposite. I started with FT and then tried OP/Naruto and ever since I just can't seem to get back into FT :(. It's not like I hate it but

(Episode 125+)
Dec 29, 2012 4:18 AM

Dec 2010
Ratohnhaketon said:

For me this turned out to be quite the opposite. I started with FT and then tried OP/Naruto and ever since I just can't seem to get back into FT :(. It's not like I hate it but

/ This

It is a bit annoying with all that "nakama power" bullshit sometimes, but it is quite enjoyable, give it a try
Also, it seems that I'm the minority who doesn't like the soundtrack for this, actually I think it's boring and generic
Dec 29, 2012 12:35 PM

Apr 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Animefanx3 said:

You said

"there's lots of magic combined with real action... which I like and that lacks in other high rated shows like Gintama, Naturo, One Piece, Bleach etc."

Which sounds like you are faulting those shows that you mentioned saying that they lack "lots of magic combined with real action", it would have been fine if you used some of those magic harem anime like Maburaho or Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou. But Gintama, One Piece, and Bleach didn't belong there since they don't really have Magic in their settings.

Don't fault your own interpretation, over the way he phrased it. In his second post he made it very clear what he meant.
Discussing semantics is not going to help anyone, especially if you are trying to force your opinion of FT onto other people, or at least that is how it seems in your numerous other posts.
You see what I did there?
Dec 29, 2012 12:51 PM

Nov 2011
yes..and the opening and ending song is great

Dec 29, 2012 12:58 PM
Jul 2012
Nope
Jan 5, 2013 1:52 PM
Dec 2012
It's not
Jan 5, 2013 2:05 PM

Sep 2012
If you don't like long running anime then no.

If you do like long running anime then still no.
Jan 5, 2013 2:07 PM
May 2012
Watch at least up to episode 60 @ OP.

Then decide if it's good or not.

Most of the people here are die-hard-FT-haters.
Jan 5, 2013 2:11 PM

Nov 2012
-Miyu- said:

You called?
Jan 5, 2013 2:11 PM
May 2012
RandomPerson3 said:
-Miyu- said:

You called?
I only get called.
Jan 5, 2013 2:12 PM

Dec 2012
To me it is a really good anime. Especially the soundtrack its amazing
Jan 5, 2013 2:16 PM
Jul 2012
-Miyu- said:

or at least read the manga before judging.
Jan 5, 2013 2:18 PM

Mar 2012
JavierR said:
-Miyu- said:

Don't judge something because other say so. You have to check it by yourself.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jan 5, 2013 2:18 PM
May 2012
JavierR said:
-Miyu- said:

Agreed.

Mashima's artwork is phenomenal.

I hate to admit it, but the anime does seem to be a bit rushed as of lately. The proportions aren't as good as they used to be.
Jan 5, 2013 2:25 PM

Oct 2012
I did enjoy it at first, but after a certain arc it wasn't as good anymore the story wasn't interesting and lacks seriousness, some of the characters were getting annoying, the fights weren't interesting and some quite dull and some stuff didn't even make sense anymore.
Jan 5, 2013 4:04 PM

Apr 2009
Short answer: It's not.

Long answer: Generic characters in a generic setting doing generic things, interrupted by a generic and predictable "plot twist" once in a while. It uses every trope it can find and utilizes it in the most boring way - while ripping off either One Piece or other better shows.
The only thing mashima can actually do right is setting an inital premise; too bad it gets utterly destroyed by his writing by the end the arc is over.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 9, 2013 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
I stoped watching fairy tail ... So stupid anime and not worth watching ... Its always bout Natsu ,he get the power he most powerfull,im sick of it so better stop watching,Gray is so much cooler but NO NATSU must be the 1 to save the day just too stupid anime
Jan 9, 2013 12:26 PM

Dec 2012
it is worth watching , although that luccy clock art really sucked some of my excitment for the series , i hate lucy ( grrr......)
Jan 9, 2013 12:36 PM

Aug 2012
I like the show; it is a bit more silly and there's way more fanservice than the usual for a shounen...but still, i like it. I'm not sure if the story plot will manage to be as good as OP or Naruto, but so far i enjoy it alot.
Jan 9, 2013 12:52 PM
Jun 2012
futilescape said:
I dont know why this anime is so popular

-Characters
-Setting
-Action
-Comedy
-Fanservice

A "strong" plot isn't really needed for an anime to become popular.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 169 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2013

103 by aod-kun »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 167 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2013

186 by aod-kun »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 32 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

garfield15 - May 31, 2010

150 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 31 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ReaperEXE - May 24, 2010

103 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 153 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

101 by LightNoragami1 »»
Yesterday, 2:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.