Forum Settings
Forums

Does watching anime make you more intelligent or be more insightful?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 6, 2013 5:43 AM

Apr 2013
Reading physics books makes you realize how little you actually know , dumb=/= not knowing stuff .
Also , generally reading novels and any(non erotic) form of lecture trains your speaking skills , if you speak while you read , you learn the authors mentality . When you read that book you actually read his thoughts , you "read his imagination" .
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jul 6, 2013 5:51 AM

Nov 2012
figuette said:
no_good_name said:
figuette said:
As long as you approach it with critical thinking you can gain something (even from cute-girls-doing-cute-things-type of shows). It's not what you watch/read but how, you can very well sit and read tons of scientific books and researches and become dumber from it.
What a stupid statement, if reading makes you dumber either you've got the book upside down or you're way out of your depth (think infant trying to read a physics book)

Right....You can read a book in a way where you just eat up the information without really understanding it not to mention analyzing it, in which case you gain nothing, but if at the end of doing so you start to think "wow I read a super smart book, I agree with it 100% (because it's a smart book), therefore I must be smart" you did yourself more harm than good, you have become dumber than you were.

Reading is exercise for the brain, even if you dont/cant fully grasp the concept the author is trying to get across you still end up better for it.

BloodyNightsky said:
Reading physics books makes you realize how little you actually know , dumb=/= not knowing stuff .
Also , generally reading novels and any(non erotic) form of lecture trains your speaking skills , if you speak while you read , you learn the authors mentality . When you read that book you actually read his thoughts , you "read his imagination" .

It also helps you vocabulary to grow.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jul 6, 2013 5:58 AM

Aug 2012
no_good_name said:
Reading is exercise for the brain, even if you dont/cant fully grasp the concept the author is trying to get across you still end up better for it.

Not really, there is a point where the stimulating gain from just reading becomes insignificant. Teachers often tell their students what you just wrote and at that point it has a value, especially for student's developing brain, later on it becomes less significant. I'm not saying that reading is useless, but even in terms of exercise and vocabulary growth it's not the quantity that counts but the quality, especially true for someone who reads a lot.
Jul 6, 2013 5:59 AM

Jul 2012
RussianPimp said:
Very few of them. Anime such as Akira and Monster are a beautiful food for thoughts and for example Ghost in the shell is simply visually and musically stunning, you can meditate watching some scenes from GIS, especially this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARTLckN9e7I

These are probably some of the only anime ever made that have some greater insight on anything.

Anime are normally just for entertainment and not for making you smarter.
So no. I don't think anime makes people intelligent or insightful.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jul 6, 2013 6:25 AM
Jun 2013
It does not make me smarter, as in I do not gain useful knowledge for my life. But I do get more insightful after started watching anime as a serious hobby. I start to think how does the story progress of anime I watched could be utilized to improve my life (but ended not not using them).

The point is, it's all about the attitude of watching that matters, rather than what kind of media. If you want to gain insight, wisdom or knowledge from anime, you will gain them.
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.
Jul 6, 2013 8:57 AM

Jul 2013
Depends, if you watch moe anime all day I doubt your IQ would go up.
Jul 6, 2013 9:02 AM

Jul 2012
I suppose watching anime may improve your vocabulary...

But I don't think so
Jul 6, 2013 10:02 AM

Aug 2012
Ghostony said:
The trick is to take each and almost every "lesson"/"moral" in all cartoons as grains of salt.

I mean, assuming you're not a bookworm and that these forms of media is usually how you stumble upon "philosophical" quotes&events and all
GhostonyJul 6, 2013 10:09 AM
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Jul 6, 2013 12:31 PM

Jan 2010
Depends on how hard you think about what your watching. While you could sit down for a week and write an extended analysis on Serial Experiments Lain and the relevance it had in 1997 and how it relates to today's world, you could also finish watching it in one sitting and move on to something like Strike Witches and treat them the same. In the same sense, you could read Farenheit 451 in your English class and analyze the crap out of it, or you could look up cliff notes of it online, finish the essays and tests, and never touch the thing again for the rest of your life. Something like that.

Actually, I remember reading this blog post that tried to argue that ecchi shows had artistic merit to them. Something along the lines of, the kick we get out of those perverted moments, whether we enjoy them or are turned off by them, say something about how we view sexuality in the real world and unto ourselves. I can't explain it to well 'cause it felt like it was grasping a lot at theoretics, but it was certainly interesting to read and it showed ways to defend a genre that gets so much flak for having no redeeming qualities.
Jul 6, 2013 12:36 PM

Jun 2013
If it did, someone would've already found the cure for all diseases in the world (jk they would've been too busy watching anime/ reading manga).
Jul 6, 2013 12:37 PM

Dec 2012
figuette said:
As long as you approach it with critical thinking you can gain something (even from cute-girls-doing-cute-things-type of shows). It's not what you watch/read but how, you can very well sit and read tons of scientific books and researches and become dumber from it.
This, kind of. At some point I feel like I've watched/read something a million times and I have nothing to gain from experiencing the same set of clichés again.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jul 6, 2013 12:43 PM

Sep 2011
Well Ive been watching anime for several years now and I still feel as stupid as ever.
Jul 6, 2013 12:44 PM

Sep 2012
Have you ever been in the shower, and all of a sudden you started to contemplate all the lingering mysteries perplexing the scientific community, or the ambivalence of society's ideals?

I know you have. We all have.

Well, I find that when my brain is jacked up on Chinese pedophile cartoons this tends to happen even more often. Take that as you will.
Jul 6, 2013 12:47 PM

Jan 2010
I have to admit, even though I feel like anime has gotten me to think more critically and see the world as larger than it is, it also gave me my small/flat chest fetish and made my grammar/vocabulary go to hell.
Jul 6, 2013 12:49 PM

Sep 2012
Shocked said:
I have to admit, even though I feel like anime has gotten me to think more critically and see the world as larger than it is, it also gave me my small/flat chest fetish and made my grammar/vocabulary go to hell.

My god this. Both of this.
Jul 6, 2013 1:39 PM

Jun 2012
I am pretty much brain dead since I watch Anime regularly...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2013 1:40 PM

Jun 2012
Ghost-Lightning said:
Have you ever been in the shower, and all of a sudden you started to contemplate all the lingering mysteries perplexing the scientific community, or the ambivalence of society's ideals?

I know you have. We all have.

Well, I find that when my brain is jacked up on Chinese pedophile cartoons this tends to happen even more often. Take that as you will.

I always have this while on toilet!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2013 2:59 PM

Feb 2012
it's really hard to tell ! but in my opinion,if you want you can learn about a lot of things and different things in anime
Oct 12, 2013 3:33 AM

Nov 2012
In some instances. Depends on the Animes mostly. It's funny, even though Naruto is just a Shounen Anime, I'd say you can learn quite a lot from it (depending on which age you watched it, I watched when I was 14 or something)
Oct 12, 2013 3:50 AM

Oct 2012
Watching anime has turned my brain into a thick paste. I don't regret it.
Oct 12, 2013 4:03 AM

Sep 2013
I learned from anime that drinking milk and rubbing your chest makes your boobs grow. I already feel like a more sophisticated person.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Oct 12, 2013 5:29 AM

Aug 2012
I wished I could augment my intelligence just by watching anime, that would be very helpful, could I get better at Math too? Anyways, yes it does make me more insightful, depending on the genre.
Oct 12, 2013 5:32 AM

Jul 2013
wtf? watching anime costs us neurons/brain cells.. and those cells never regenerate so ..
Oct 13, 2013 8:58 AM

Jul 2012
To be honest when I was watching death note I felt I was getting smarter by watch L an light trying to out do each other,

Some anime gives us life lessons, like respect your friends love your family, give people a chance ect ect ect so you could say that anime can give you some intelligent and insightful,
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Oct 13, 2013 9:14 AM

Aug 2012
PrimeX said:
wtf? watching anime costs us neurons/brain cells.. and those cells never regenerate so ..

Definitely, at YOUR case, it does cost many neurons/brain cells.

Topic

Yes, it does makes you intelligent. I mean, look at me.
Oct 13, 2013 12:50 PM

Oct 2013
It has made me intelligent about Japanese foods!
Oct 13, 2013 12:52 PM

Nov 2012
Depends what you watch. For the most part, no.
Oct 13, 2013 1:01 PM

Dec 2012
Mostly a bunch of facts that I forget the next day.
Oct 13, 2013 2:16 PM

Dec 2012
Really depends on your mindset when watching anime. If you're looking for lessons, values, and ideas to take away from it, then it can if you keep an open mind. If you're just watching for fun and turn your brain off each episode, then doubtful. Just take a look at anime that convey meaningful messages and look at their episode discussions. It's usually the critical thinkers who are saying "yeah I can see x from y perspective now" and the casuals that are like "lolpseudo-intellectual anime tried to be 2edgy 1/10."
Nov 11, 2013 12:47 AM
Nov 2013
No, I totally agree with you. I watched Hetalia and can relate to my history class better, Fullmetal Alchemist helps with Chemistry, I even learned something about English and publishing/writing from animes about making books and manga like Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi. I believe being diverse and having something you love that makes you more eager to experience everything else not only helps gain intelligence but offers perspective from different points and backgrounds. Plus, it's totally entertaining and an inspiration...I mean look at all the stuff on fanfiction, deviantart, and tumblr.
---Hope this helped ^.^
You don't have to listen to anyone you know, do what you want :)
Nov 11, 2013 12:52 AM

Sep 2012
If anything, I think it makes me more cynical and bitter.

There's just so much bullshit rife in the anime fandom.
Nov 11, 2013 1:40 AM

Oct 2013
i dont think watching anime will make you smarter in the terms of IQ,

but anime does contain a variety of social themes that can make you more knowledgeable about social problems/issues because most people dont want to relate to the evil bastards in some anime, so you start thinking about how they are wrong and how you would react if you were in a similar situation, at least for me.

so i think watching certain anime can make you more insightful in the long run
Nov 11, 2013 1:47 AM

Jan 2012
I think the potential to is there. Just like any other media though. I feel you can learn something from everything either a life lesson or a new philosophy. Depending on the anime you watch and how you watch it I would say yes if you do it intentionally. The best way is to look at all of life and media like that though to take the most you can from everything just being intentional and constantly conscious about everything.
Nov 11, 2013 2:06 AM

Nov 2013
Intelligent? No. Insightful? Yes. All depending on how you look at it. I think it makes me look at things in my life a bit differently from time to time. Which can be a nice thing as reality can get a little stale sometimes.
Nov 11, 2013 2:42 AM

Nov 2013
PrimeX said:
Except that human neurons, and certain brain cells do regenerate so....
Nov 11, 2013 3:25 AM

Jan 2013
Yes it makes you intelligent. Infact, one of my friends watches anime all day and that's why he gets the top rank in the class...
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Nov 11, 2013 3:04 PM

Nov 2013
Red_Keys said:

Haha exactly! Im so cynical and bitter now tat anime is like all i do!
Goku: If these guy's are after us, Maybe Sanzo's also...
Hakkai: A Fake Sanzo?
Goku/Gojyo/Hakkai: I wanna beat the crap out of it!

Goku: (about his broken leg) "My leg needs meat."
Sanzo: "Nice try."

Nov 11, 2013 4:29 PM

Jun 2012
Well usually after I watch some serious anime with a smart main character etc or if the anime is a mind fuck in general I get in this state of mind thinking im some hard ass smart dude with no emotions then that quickly goes away once I take a nap
The worse kind of Poverty is Loneliness.
Nov 11, 2013 5:50 PM

May 2013
make you more intelligent? seems like you have misunderstood the meaning of the word intelligent.
makes you more knowledgeable (?)(mostly about japanese stuff), affecting your thought process, speech manners , perhaps, But definitely not more intelligent. Intellect is not something you can notice changing on your own and it definitely does not increase that easily.
Nov 11, 2013 5:53 PM

Sep 2013
If you were neither of the two variables to begin with, then it's highly infinitely unlikely that you'll be any better than you started off with from the point that you started... So, it's mostly how you interpret it.

Ex: If a mass murderer watches Death Note, does he/she become smarter? Then if he/she finishes K-On, is he/she any more introspective on his/her actions?
Nov 11, 2013 6:02 PM

Oct 2013
HarukaTakodo said:
Red_Keys said:

Haha exactly! Im so cynical and bitter now tat anime is like all i do!

id say this is the flip side of becoming more knowledgeable especially after watching anime, because if people really behave like they do in the anime i watch, the human race is done for, and it would be hard not to be cynical about that.

but it also gives you a knew way to look at things which isnt always cynical and can be helpful at times
Nov 11, 2013 6:17 PM

Jun 2013
Anime is just one of many ways to tell a story and convey ideas. So therefore you are asking if stories and ideas can make a person more insightful. Pretty much the only other way to do that would be personal experience. Of course some people are less affected by ideas they haven't comprehended by direct personal experience, but I believe ideas can still have an effect on people's insightfulness without that.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM

Aug 2012
No it doesn't make me smarter, but it does give me more perspective on certain things, and helps me to learn more about myself.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Nov 11, 2013 6:50 PM

Oct 2011
I don't think it made me more intelligent but it did gave me new insights or perspective which sometimes is thought-provoking.
Nov 11, 2013 6:54 PM

Jun 2012
Anime's honestly made me stupider, I'd be smarter without this cartoon shit.
получить деньги моего друга
Nov 12, 2013 5:53 PM

Oct 2013
stupidfucker said:
Anime's honestly made me stupider, I'd be smarter without this cartoon shit.

i dont think it lowers intelligence, but if all you do is watch anime, then eventually the brain adapts to that and it will affect how you view the world, just like if you did the same with any media that doesnt require input
Nov 12, 2013 6:19 PM

Apr 2013
I think of it as a memory booster.

Since I watch a lot of anime in a short period of time, there's very little time for me to remember every little detail, so I think it forces me to either shut off completely or watch closer and pick up more.

Being able to remember keeps my memory sharp. These days, you could hand me a sheet with the instructions for just about anything and I'd be able to rip it up and walk the next guy through it.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Nov 12, 2013 6:55 PM

Jan 2012
i don't feel any smarter or anything like that, it has however made me more motivated to write more, and come up with more unique plot lines and story ideas!
Nov 12, 2013 7:03 PM

Aug 2013
Were as I do use anime to help me understand different things, I don't think that watching it makes you any smarter or more insightful. I do however think that certain series have changed my view on life, but I do not believe all anime could do this. Same goes for Manga.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 8 hours ago

11 by DarkShame2 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 7 hours ago

32 by Dauphine »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 9 hours ago

20 by Dauphine »»
6 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

28 by Dauphine »»
10 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

63 by GreatestSaltboy »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.