Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 30, 2012 8:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Holy hell, that mystical beast goes on the attack from the very beginning. Tbh, there is a lot of strange creatures this episode especially with the other two. Good thing it got repelled. Way to go, Saki!

It was overall a nice episode of emotions especially with the soundtrack and..Shun ;.; tears and sorrow.

Stark700Nov 30, 2012 8:38 AM
Nov 30, 2012 8:36 AM
Nov 2012
And about the episode...
LunaNov 30, 2012 9:13 AM
Nov 30, 2012 9:26 AM

Jul 2012
"saki... zutto... sukidatta. sayonara"

PAST TENSE
Nov 30, 2012 9:31 AM
Nov 2011
i've seen the first 5 mins and it seemed pretty well animated to me
well, of course you can see yamaguchi's style, but that's not a problem if it is well executed
Nov 30, 2012 11:04 AM

Jun 2012
need subs...such a bad episode to watch raw with no understanding of japanese XD
Some really interesting visuals though.
Nov 30, 2012 11:18 AM
Nov 2012

So that's
Nov 30, 2012 11:59 AM

Jul 2010
Poor Subaru, we hardly knew ya...

Nov 30, 2012 4:46 PM

Jul 2012
This was one crazy episode and I loved it.
I don't really like the shaders they use, but the shots and angles were pretty fantastic.

Musically this episode was probably the best so far and man the darkness.
This is why I love this show and why I wanted to watch it. This show can sometimes be so dark and mystical. I love that.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Nov 30, 2012 4:54 PM

May 2011
So essentially, Shun had a very active sub-conscience. But because his Cantus(telekintic) abilities are directly tied to his subconscious, any thought, good or bad, is manifested thru his powers. What the educators call Karma demon. You can almost think of the outward manifestation of the disease would be something similar to tourette syndrome.

Shun turned poor Subaru into a pokemon.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if the world would survive with a scenario like that. You get one narcissistic karma demon with a apocalyptic subconscious and the entire region would be wiped out. It just doesn't seem like a world full of potential atom bombs could maintain itself long term. Especially if they can't control when they'll go off.

I get the feeling it's a cultural thing. Japanese are big on self control and suppressing their inner thoughts to maintain a harmonic balance in society. Something like this would be a nightmare for them.

liked the art. But i really wasn't digging the whole Saki zombie movements she made throughout the episode.

Also, another thing occurred to me. The assassin cats in this episode seem familiar to the "copycats" from episode one. Saki saw the shadow of one in her home when she was young. She also has vague memories of a sibling. Maybe the cat she saw was there to kill the sibling and she spotted it, or even witnessed the killing.

Now, are these cats sent to kill only karma demons or are they sent after all kids who fail to live up to expectations.

With what Shun became and what he did to his home village. Maybe extreme measures of killing unsuitable offspring is the remedy to save the society.

It still doesn't explain why "normal" humans with no Cantus are made to disappear. Why would they be a threat.
CirrisNov 30, 2012 6:35 PM
Nov 30, 2012 4:55 PM

Jul 2009
Epic episode is epic. Music was indeed quite well done, and the art continues to impress me.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Nov 30, 2012 4:55 PM

Jul 2012
it takes a lot to get an actual physical reaction out of me while watching anime, but this episode did it all.

so we learned that pinewind was actually all shun's doing, and he accidentally killed his own parents...

it was kind of cool to see shun bring up freudian theories. so i guess in a way, he became a gouma because his superego could no longer control his id.

also, gotta applaud taneda risa for when saki screamed shun's name. it was so heartwrenching and full of emotion

ugh this ep was so sad
walkNov 30, 2012 4:59 PM
Nov 30, 2012 5:02 PM

Jan 2011
This episode was awesome :)
I seriously thought Suburu had a chance against the cat thing :(
The fact that Shun's consciounce going out of control = destruction/twisting of surroundings...man, that was a shocker. Kinda surprising that the guy's basically invulnerable, too. When he said he can't live near anything or he'll warp it, my first thought was "go to space!". I mean, space is mostly empty for really long stretches of area (besides tiny particles, anyway), so he couldn't warp his surroundings. His cantus could probably keep him alive too :)

EDIT:
Man....I've been registered here for a year and a bit and this is my first post? lol, I must become more active :)
Nov 30, 2012 5:04 PM
Oct 2011
The visuals and OST of this episode were outstanding.
Nov 30, 2012 5:04 PM

Apr 2010
Best episode so far ..i loved it
But who's the dog in the preview ._.
safna3Nov 30, 2012 5:07 PM
Nov 30, 2012 5:10 PM
Nov 2012
Cirris said:
Shun turned poor Subaru into a pokemon.

LOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

XD XD XD XD

That is the worst fate for a pet XD
Nov 30, 2012 5:11 PM

Oct 2011
I... cried. .-. It was the most horrendously painful episode yet in Shinsekai Yori and by far one of my favorites. Everything was so emotional and well done. I knew what was coming from the beginning, but having to watch it go through was so... ugh. I'll seriously miss Shun, he was so great and wonderful, and his last words to Saki were so kjdl;dsa. Uuuugh. Saki's scream too, just like walk mentioned was extremely heartbreaking.

Overall, fantastic episode, bu so sad, oh so sad.
Nov 30, 2012 5:21 PM

Oct 2012
its so sad, i cried alot
this is the best episode so far!!
goodbye Shun.. hikzz
Nov 30, 2012 5:23 PM

Mar 2008
Awesome episode. I wonder who is this? Shun? Or something that once was called Shun?

On the bright side, I wanted Saki to be with Satoru. Now he have some chances. And Mamoru should be with Maria. Yeah, seems to be alright ^__^
Nov 30, 2012 5:34 PM
Nov 2012
Endymion said:
Awesome episode. I wonder who is this? Shun? Or something that once was called Shun?

On the bright side, I wanted Saki to be with Satoru. Now he have some chances. And Mamoru should be with Maria. Yeah, seems to be alright ^__^

I said who that is...

If you want to know... that's
Nov 30, 2012 5:34 PM

Jul 2012
Holy. Shit. Amazing. Best episode yet with amazing soundtrack to boot. Visuals also got better; I love the shading, it really adds to the atmosphere. Just incredible.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Nov 30, 2012 5:36 PM
Sep 2010
Endymion said:

It could be Saki's missing brother.
Nov 30, 2012 5:36 PM
Apr 2012
This and the episode before it REALLY repented for episode 8. This episode was great, good animation, very interesting stuff going on, etc. I liked the start of the episode with how colorless it was, etc. Shun's subcouncious really made some beautiful/twisted creations. Oh, and pretty lights.

R.I.P Subaru and Shun. Such is the fate of a Karma demon ):
Nov 30, 2012 5:38 PM

Mar 2008
serbestcagrisim said:

Oh really? Yeah this is possible.I thought Saki had older sister... (^_^;)

maxie said:
good animation

You mean artwork/concept? Because animation was pretty crappy.
EndymionNov 30, 2012 5:41 PM
Nov 30, 2012 5:43 PM
Apr 2012
Endymion said:
serbestcagrisim said:

Oh really? Yeah this is possible.I thought Saki had older sister... (^_^;)

maxie said:
good animation

You mean artwork/concept? Because animation was pretty crappy.

Yeah I guess that's the right word, movements could have been a lot more fluid, but still, quality of visuals compared to the derped episodes...
Nov 30, 2012 5:53 PM

Jan 2009
Really dont know if I like this episode or 4 more. I love this anime.
Nov 30, 2012 6:07 PM
Nov 2009
Yamauchi has redeemed himself after his less-than-satisfactory episode 5. He's really good at creating a moody atmosphere.
Nov 30, 2012 6:55 PM

Jan 2012
Those feels. :(
This episode was fantastic and moving.
Nov 30, 2012 6:57 PM
May 2012
That was incredible.

I particularly liked the direction, it really set the tone well.
Nov 30, 2012 7:08 PM

Nov 2008
I felt bad for both Saki and Shun, since they loved each other, but never really got to be together : (
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Nov 30, 2012 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
Bet the people who dropped after episode 8 would be kicking themselves if they saw that episode. Great episode, great music, loved the emotions. Overall, this anime is starting to live up to my expectations.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Nov 30, 2012 7:57 PM

Jun 2011
Err... I didn't found it that good. We had many static face expressions, repetitive dialogs, Saki's butt close-ups, a know-it-all Shun (when did he learned so much?)... For me, this episode was... well, it didn't make me feel the same environment as the first episodes.
Nov 30, 2012 8:02 PM

May 2011
Good Episode. Most emotional episode so far. I really liked it! Good to see from theory of Freud thrown in there to explain Shun's situation. It's cool. So Shun was in love with Saki, after all I guess. I'm kind of disappointed with that, I thought he liked Satoru too. Poor Satoru! I'm kind of disappointed he doesn't have anything to say about Satoru the guy and speak about his dog... but somehow, you could pretty much apply the whole story about 'Satoru The Dog' to 'Satoru The Guy' a little so I just did to feel better about how Shun just totally forgot about 'Satoru the Guy' when they seemed so close.

Anyway, the whole episode was good. Lots of talking but, it was BIG and it was time for some answer at least.I felt bad for Shun even tho the visual were... oh well... not that good!
... I felt bad for Satoru too but, oh well... I guess no one cares about him in this anime anymore lol. Too bad I liked him a lot ! That character didn't deserve to be forgotten so easily... WTF Shun !

Anyone else find it weird that Saki's mother had that book ? O.o'
Nov 30, 2012 8:07 PM

Mar 2012
Good episode, very sad though. Where do the characters go from this point, though?

Even through it was foreshadowed a billion times in previous episodes, it was still painful to watch Shun die (especially after ep3 where they're in the boat and he makes the water still as a mirror...) Better not fuck this up, Satoru.
キ チ リ * カ チ リ
Nov 30, 2012 8:18 PM

Sep 2008
Best episode yet. So many feels.
Nov 30, 2012 8:21 PM

May 2011
Holy shit. With everything is going on, things are going darker.

Poor Shun.
Nov 30, 2012 8:51 PM

Jul 2012
Intereo said:
a know-it-all Shun (when did he learned so much?)

shun learned about it partly from the adults and also from the book that saki's mother gave to him

Bouum said:
Anyone else find it weird that Saki's mother had that book ? O.o'

saki's mother is a librarian, so she had access to all these different kinds of books that were hidden from the public
Nov 30, 2012 8:52 PM
Oct 2010
win ep. saki lookin fine
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Nov 30, 2012 8:55 PM
Aug 2012
Literally throughout the whole episode I kept telling myself that Shun would recover and all would end well... especially after he killed the last cat. :( Well... I wonder what's going to happen next ! I cannot wait for the next episode.
Nov 30, 2012 8:57 PM
Aug 2012
kpk10 said:
Endymion said:

I said who that is...

If you want to know... that's

Have you read the manga ? Ah ! I love spoilers .. is Ryou a new character that'll be introduced in episode 11 ?
Nov 30, 2012 9:21 PM
Sep 2012
Great episode. Even though I knew that she would be attacked in right in the beginning, it was still shocking to see that cat-thing go straight for her throat. Saki sure was really lucky right there.

It was also interesting hearing Shun explain everything about the cantus and all the other secrets of their powers. It was quite a revelation. Who would have expected Saki's mom to keep written records of all the karma demons that came before?

Also, the reason why Shun turned into a karma demon is because Saki didn't restore the cantus right. Poor Saki will have to live with for the rest of her life. The rest of them too are at risk as well of becoming karma demons.

I guess it's safe to assume that Shun turned homo to forget about Saki. Shun had secretly loved Saki for a long time. When he couldn't forget about her, he was so frustrated that he left Satoru, shunned everything around him and kept his frustrations inside until he couldn't take it anymore. Couldn't Shun just have done nothing but foreplay if he really was worried about Saki losing her virginity to a guy?

Why Saki couldn't you have just given yourself to Shun and try to save him that way? It wouldn't have been hard since you were already looking really sexy with that outfit and all those nice ass shots.

Poor dog dying to save Shun and poor Shun sacrificing himself in the end while telling Saki that he had always loved her.

Raikenzera said:
Bet the people who dropped after episode 8 would be kicking themselves if they saw that episode. Great episode, great music, loved the emotions. Overall, this anime is starting to live up to my expectations.
They don't know about everything that has happened since episode 8 since they dropped it. It's their loss though and I'm sure enjoying this show.
IconicNov 30, 2012 9:33 PM
Nov 30, 2012 9:26 PM

Mar 2012
Holy crap... that was good.
I have to say though, the animation might have to be my least favorite part of this series. Of course, this episode was nowhere on the same level as episode 5, but the visuals and animation still felt awkwardly stagnant and awry.
That aside, I loved the dialogue in this episode. It's great that we got another info-heavy episode like episode 4. And I'm really enjoying the characters too. This episode really managed to pack some great emotions in its ending between Shun and Saki. I'm so excited for the direction the series is going in, and there have been so many qualities in the past couple of episodes that have allowed me to overlook the animation in exchange for the fantastic story, characters, and dialogue.
Nov 30, 2012 9:28 PM

Jul 2012
Well that was pretty amazing.
Not exactly sure where this is all headed though.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Nov 30, 2012 9:29 PM

Jul 2012
nauticalblue said:
Holy crap... that was good.
I have to say though, the animation might have to be my least favorite part of this series. Of course, this episode was nowhere on the same level as episode 5, but the visuals and animation still felt awkwardly stagnant and awry.

Yeah I know what you mean.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Nov 30, 2012 9:31 PM

Nov 2011
The colors raped my eyes

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 30, 2012 10:03 PM

Aug 2011
So much Saki ass.
Nov 30, 2012 10:16 PM

Jul 2012
AiCon said:
Also, the reason why Shun turned into a karma demon is because Saki didn't restore the cantus right. Poor Saki will have to live with for the rest of her life. The rest of them too are at risk as well of becoming karma demons.

i gotta disagree with this little part here~ but this is my own interpretation, so i could be mistaken?

when their juryoku got sealed, they were basically hypnotized into believing that they lost it and couldn't use it anymore. then when saki restored their mantra, it was like just breaking that hypnosis and allowing them to use their juryoku again. each individual person's juryoku itself has not changed. so it wasn't like shun's powers became different from before.

from shun's explanation, the juryoku is the manifestation of their subconscious power, and karma demons emerge when they are no longer able to control it. so therefore, it's not just the group that's at risk of becoming karma demons, pretty much EVERYONE IN THE SOCIETY is at risk.

saki herself thought it might have been her fault, but shun denied it.
Nov 30, 2012 10:19 PM

May 2010
crazy episode. this show really is better than expected.
Nov 30, 2012 10:44 PM
Sep 2012
EstelleBright said:
So much Saki ass.
HELL YEAH!

More Saki and Maria close-up's - Less Satoru yaoi.
walk said:
AiCon said:

i gotta disagree with this little part here~ but this is my own interpretation, so i could be mistaken?

when their juryoku got sealed, they were basically hypnotized into believing that they lost it and couldn't use it anymore. then when saki restored their mantra, it was like just breaking that hypnosis and allowing them to use their juryoku again. each individual person's juryoku itself has not changed. so it wasn't like shun's powers became different from before.

from shun's explanation, the juryoku is the manifestation of their subconscious power, and karma demons emerge when they are no longer able to control it. so therefore, it's not just the group that's at risk of becoming karma demons, pretty much EVERYONE IN THE SOCIETY is at risk.

saki herself thought it might have been her fault, but shun denied it.
What you've said is true but isn't the reason why those priests couldn't seal back Shun's cantus was because Saki didn't do the ritual properly?

Shun mentioned that his cantus or seal was like a broken lid that leaked out no matter what. Saki then reasoned that it might have been her fault since she didn't do it right.
IconicNov 30, 2012 10:54 PM
Nov 30, 2012 11:00 PM

Jul 2012
AiCon said:
What you've said is true but isn't the reason why those priests couldn't seal back Shun's cantus was because Saki didn't do the ritual properly?

Shun mentioned that his cantus or seal was like a broken lid that leaked out no matter what. Saki then reasoned that it might have been her fault since she didn't do it right.

so as shun explained, they need their conscious to keep the juryoku under control. but in shun's case, he is no longer able to do that. to seal his powers would mean to put him under the hypnosis to make him believe that he can't use his juryoku anymore (the power is always there, they just THINK it's not), but that won't work anymore because his subconscious is leaking out, even without him meaning to.

so imo, it's his own subconscious that is becoming too overwhelming, and that has nothing to do with saki's doing.
Nov 30, 2012 11:05 PM
Sep 2012
walk said:
AiCon said:

so as shun explained, they need their conscious to keep the juryoku under control. but in shun's case, he is no longer able to do that. to seal his powers would mean to put him under the hypnosis to make him believe that he can't use his juryoku anymore (the power is always there, they just THINK it's not), but that won't work anymore because his subconscious is leaking out, even without him meaning to.

so imo, it's his own subconscious that is becoming too overwhelming, and that has nothing to do with saki's doing.
Okay, I get it now. Thanks for the explanation walk.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.