Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 3, 2008 2:58 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
FRANZ!!!!!! NUUUU!!! DDDDDDDDX

That was sad. V___V
I didn't think they were only 15 years old either. o_o

Sig WILL change soon~
Jan 2, 2009 1:27 PM

Mar 2008
i havent cried that hard in yrs!!!!
O
M
G
MY BODY IS SHAKING WITH..I DONT NO WHT BUT ITS SHAKING....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2009 10:05 AM

Sep 2008
Nooo No No, is he really dead
I didn't think that Gankutsuou is such a heartless animal
Oh Franz, why does it has 2 b this doomy
I haven't been that depressed since I watched...

Death Note spoiler:
LunaAug 9, 2012 8:51 PM
Apr 20, 2009 7:03 AM

Oct 2008
What a twist! I love this episode. The Count is really Brutal.
Apr 21, 2009 2:12 AM

Jan 2008
Watched it, loved it.
I almost cried, deviantly grabbed me, god damn that was good.
It sure was a while since an anime/scene touched me like that.

Franz...you will be remembered in my fangirly heart <3
I hope you have a lovely day ♥ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ◠๑ )
Jun 6, 2009 3:15 PM

Jan 2008
If you didnt see that twist coming at the end of the last episode, well you're a bit slow.

Fucking out-of-place mecha. Yeah, yeah, its set in the future but thats no excuse. Have to remind me I'm watching an-ee-mey, right? Think we've pretty much gone through every cliche of the medium by now, kickstarted by that hateful Peppo character.

Worst episode of the show, just perfect in its lameness.

ramble ramble ramble. *pause* FRAAAANZZ!?!?!?!"
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 17, 2009 4:49 PM

Sep 2008
Yeah I knew Franz was going to die when he gave the birthday card to Eugenie last episode. And I too thought the huge armors were kinda out of place, a normal duel would have been more dramatic in my opinion. I also didnt like the fact that Franz had to die only because Albert made a stupid thing.

But still a pretty good episode nonetheless, looking forward to the next.
Oct 2, 2009 11:49 PM

Jul 2008
This is what I get for having a favorite character who is actually a nice guy. ;____;

;________;

BEGINNER
Oct 12, 2009 2:17 AM

Dec 2008
Beatnik said:
Fucking out-of-place mecha. Yeah, yeah, its set in the future but thats no excuse. Have to remind me I'm watching an-ee-mey, right? Think we've pretty much gone through every cliche of the medium by now, kickstarted by that hateful Peppo character.

No kidding! Worst. Robot. Fight. Ever.

It's really a shame the direction Gonzo's decided to go in with the revenge plots in the last 1/4th of the show or so. Dumas planned everything out so it ended so perfectly and poetically, and Gonzo is just changing major plot points at random, I guess for the sake of keeping Albert at the center of every single episode?

For anyone who's interested, I just finished reading the Count of Monte Cristo for the first time last month, and I'm keeping a running tally if similarities and differences between the book an anime over at my blog...
Mar 4, 2010 11:01 PM

Aug 2008
Entirely unexpected and sick. omg (mostly because, mechas aside, this is very different from what happens in the book). Only thing was if they had to have mechas, having blood spraying from the mechanical limbs is not cool. And Albert screaming Franz at the very end made an uber sad moment fall a little flat. But still, one of the wrongest things I remember seeing in anime, not for gore or anything, but just...I dunno. Wasn't lame, but some things were...over done.

But yeah, I think my heart just broke because of this anime. Again.

Franz, being just about my favorite character and getting killed off..sigh.
Apr 6, 2010 12:19 AM

Nov 2007
FRANZ O_O!?! Noooooooooooooo ><
May 10, 2010 2:56 PM

Mar 2009
aside from me thinking the mechs were out of place as well and Franz's death,

Question! Why did no one bother to confirm the identity of both of the participants before the battle started? My friend argues the Count was too insane at the time to bother, but if you're going to have witnesses to the fight, why did none of them bring it up? And I personally don't think the Count was out of it enough to not make sure he wasn't exacting revenge on the right person. Revenge is obviously important to him, you'd think he'd want to ensure it was on the right person. Now Albert is still running around and the revenge has not been completed for the Count. And he really didn't have anything against Franz, so I can't argue "well, he wanted them both dead" or anything.
Jul 13, 2010 2:08 AM

Oct 2008
Beatnik said:
If you didnt see that twist coming at the end of the last episode, well you're a bit slow.

re-watching this show at the moment and as it turns out i agreee with you. except for peppo s/he's the best hmmph
Jul 21, 2010 8:59 PM

Jul 2008
Holy shit, can Gonzo ever not put CG mecha in an anime? My god it looked like absolute shit. Fuck, Gonzo you guys have tendency to put your junior varsity on your projects.
Jul 27, 2010 6:24 AM

May 2009
putting the mecha aside, damn didnt see that coming >_>

fuck, that was a nice drama there..
didnt cried for quite some time..
Sep 13, 2010 12:01 PM

Apr 2010
It seems I have a curse on me or something, because in everything I read/watch my favourite charachter dies! Seriously! This isn't funny, I'm heartbroken here.
And I too hated the mecha robots; what was the blood spraying from the robot limbs?!?!?!
And no. I'm not overreacting here. I haven't been crying that hard since...

Death Note spoiler:
LunaAug 9, 2012 8:53 PM

Oct 21, 2010 9:31 AM

Sep 2009
Man what a grim and sombre ep
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Nov 29, 2010 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, those were some awful looking CG mechas. Almost ruined the ep for me until the end.

I saw the whole thing with Franz coming last episode, but that didn't stop it from being a huge tear-jerker. FRANZ!!! ;_;
Jan 15, 2011 6:22 AM

Oct 2008
That was so sad.

The CGI here was bit weird.
Mar 3, 2011 12:09 PM

Sep 2008
... :( I knew it was coming, like a number of others did, but it's still sad that Franz of all characters had to die.

The mecha... the animation... the CGI... It was just very out of place. Also, I think that whole battle scene was really poorly done. I had no freaking clue what was going on the entire time. I know there was a way to distinguish between the mechas, but the whole fight just seemed too chaotic and confusing.

And seriously? The Count didn't even bother to check that it was Albert before exacting his revenge? That seems very odd... Parts of this episode definitely seemed off... But anyway. Onwards and hopefully upwards again ("upwards" since, all in all, I didn't think this was a very good episode - I was just sad that Franz died) with the rest of the episodes...
Apr 9, 2011 12:32 AM
Oct 2009
At first I thought Albert cheated when he activated that robot from who-knows-where. Then Count proved me wrong when he also arrived at the duel with a Gundam.

I thought they're going have a normal duel, not a robot war. I really hate this episode except the part where the Count tried to prove that Edmond is dead.
The window, the window shopping! Hooo!
May 11, 2011 1:13 PM
May 2010
CGI mecha is terrible... in this anime it's almost unforgiveable.

I was really liking this show... until this episode.
Jun 3, 2011 2:33 PM
Apr 2009
don't tell me that this is one of many shows that start great and end on a terrible note? sigh... it's always the one with the intriguing art as well
Jun 11, 2011 5:59 PM

Oct 2009
I hate robot stuff in anime and I both knew this was coming and enjoyed it. They hint it in the ending from the very beginning. Also I feel like comparing this to the novel is a waste of time and is probably killing enjoyment for anyone who has read it. I'm still loving this show, no idea what you guys are griping about.
Jul 12, 2011 1:50 AM

May 2010
I wasn't too big on the mecha battle myself, but to me it was bearable. I sometimes wondered, "Why are they screaming? The bot's getting it's limbs cut off, not them." But again, bearable for me. I knew Franz was gonna die just... Not like that. v.v I cried, and I thought that Albert's reaction was actually perfect. I tried comparing it to what I would do if my sister died because of something I did, since we're about as close as those two, and I figured that that might not seem like "overreacting" to the one suffering. Give 'im a break, guys. XD

And I totally agree. Why did the Count not check it was Albert first!? I mean, seriously. Shouldn't that have been the first thing he did!? Ugh! So annoying.

Anyway, R.I.P. Franz, you will be missed. TT^TT
Sep 13, 2011 5:32 PM

Jun 2007
case649 said:
No kidding! Worst. Robot. Fight. Ever.

Seriously, a lot of you guys saw a different CG fight than myself. The movements weren't clunky at all - like they were in Gonzo's other work, Bokurano - and the mechas didn't look out of place when placed next to the CG. The team responsible for the sequence were so attentive to the smaller details that they made sure Franz trembled and moved fearfully, in comparison to the composure shown by Edmond--a touch I appreciated very much. Since Gankutsuou came out way back in 2004, back then I'd say it was movie level, rather than TV series level.

Gonzo didn't shove mecha down viewers throats, as they have in other shows. Episode 18 and the end are the only times the mechas battled it out... easy enough to ignore, no? And, if I was going to be annoyed over a single change, I'd choose to be more pissy over the period being changed from the 1800's to 5043, or something silly like that.

As for why Edmond didn't care enough to confirm who was riding the mecha, Franz arrived early and - unless it's a requirement to see each other face-to-face prior to dueling - there wasn't any reason for Edmond to waste time. He knew Albert was too angry to have someone else fight in his stead. And the novel revealed that Edmond was a master with a sword; so much so that he wouldn't have been afraid had Albert hired someone to fight in his place.

...In any event: Franz's death is one of the more tragic anime deaths I've seen. Where as Albert was given the brain of a dog as Gonzo re-worked the story around him, Franz was altered to be extremely intelligent. Him putting the pieces together regarding the count, while Albert could only retort with "...YOU'RE WRONG!" made up for Albert's stupidity, to a certain extent. And Franz's unrequired love for Albert being expressed with the ultimate sacrifice did move me, in spite of me not being overly fond of manxman love.

In contrast to others in this thread, episode 18 is one of my favourite anime episodes. Back when I first watched Gankutsuou, I ended my 1-18 marathon at 18, sure that no other episode would better it, and I was right.
Sep 16, 2011 11:26 AM
Aug 2011
I pretty much laughed my way through the cheesy out-of-nowhere mech duel. Definitely the low-point for the series but the episode was still alright overall.
Oct 23, 2011 3:10 AM
Aug 2010
Good twist, awful CGI.

Nov 15, 2011 3:19 PM

Oct 2010
FRANZZZUUU D:

yeh that CGI was a bit off, i didn't like the fighting scene.
Dec 3, 2011 7:05 PM

May 2009
Beatnik said:

Amen.
Mar 31, 2012 12:25 AM

May 2010
That armor fight was a little out of place for this show...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 14, 2012 11:22 AM

Jan 2012
Franz pulled the ultimate bro move.

It's always heartwrenching to watch Evangelion-styled mechs get pummeled around. This was definitely one hell of a sad episode...

Let's hope Albert actually changes after this...
"Hello, Mr. Wind up Bird."
Aug 8, 2012 8:12 PM
May 2011
I didn't agree with the mecha's either... seemed really out of place.
On another note, it seems like the main character hasn't been broken enough yet. More suffering incoming? I bet it involves Euge-... Euginie? Whatever her name is...
Aug 9, 2012 2:51 PM

Aug 2011
I don't want to live anymore.
Aug 23, 2012 10:36 AM

Dec 2011
Put in a 10 minute Mech scene, people start bitching. I see no reason what so ever to complain about something like that, it was an amazing episode within an amazing anime.
Dec 4, 2012 2:43 PM

May 2009
Am I the only one who still cheers for Count? >>
Dec 14, 2012 12:08 PM

May 2012
FRANZ!! NOES damn really liked him... and well sort to seem in the future duels are done with robots :D

Great but tragic episode and that all on Alberts Bday!
Dec 31, 2012 5:54 AM
Oct 2012
Amen Franz...
Jan 17, 2013 2:35 AM

Nov 2011
lpfManiak said:
Good twist, awful CGI.

And I was just starting to like him, paying for his best friend's stupidity; tragic.
Mar 24, 2013 8:09 PM

Apr 2012
Oh my god that was easily one of the most terrible episodes I've seen. lolCGI at the level of Mars of Destruction.. Why Gonzo, why!?
Apr 18, 2013 8:59 AM

Jan 2013
I for one didn't mind the CGI of the mech duel, at least its better than shooting laser beams at each other. Great episode and good twist, never expected it.
JaveraApr 18, 2013 9:04 AM
Aug 8, 2013 8:01 AM

Mar 2013
Mweh this was so sad D:
Sep 1, 2013 1:19 PM
Aug 2011
Why use a giant mechanical armor if you're gonna kill each other in the end? You wake up one morning and take a walk to the park nearby to see some punks ruined the shit out of it and it is LEGITIMATE!
Sep 8, 2013 2:13 AM

Jul 2007
Beatnik said:

Dude honestly do you ever have anything positive to say bout any anime episode discussions. I have not once see you post a positive comment, your always criticizing with negativity, being a critic is ok but man you are harsh when it comes to anime, just what kind of anime do you like?

Sep 17, 2013 12:27 PM

Dec 2012
Truly a powerful episode, it was a bit painful to watch the Count dismember Franz's mech and see blood shooting and hearing him scream, does that mean he felt the pain that came along with that? The end of their duel was unbelievably tragic, I won't be able to put this one into words.

Lol @ people saying mechs are out of place in a futuristic setting with spaceships, aliens, virtual reality technology, and immortals.
Nov 4, 2013 11:41 AM

Mar 2012
Saw it coming but dem feels were still felt T-T
Ratohnhaketon said:

Lol @ people saying mechs are out of place in a futuristic setting with spaceships, aliens, virtual reality technology, and immortals.

^This
Nov 26, 2013 3:11 PM
Nov 2009
Adramelech said:
Why use a giant mechanical armor if you're gonna kill each other in the end?

Bro why did the Nazi Germans use tanks against the French if they're gonna try to kill each other in the end??

Ratohnhaketon said:

ikr?

Still though, revenge is sweet. I want to see the count's revenge on the bank guy too. R.I.P Franzuuu even though he didn't do anything bad to Edmond Dante :(
Dec 5, 2013 7:42 AM

Oct 2008
Worst episode of the entire series. Some of the worst CGI I've seen in a long long time along with a really stupid and pointless death to a MC. Another part that annoyed me was how it was all of a sudden day time when Albert got there and nobody was around. Where the fuck did they all go and how was Franz still alive bleeding out this whole time? Hopefully the rest of the episodes don't have anything in common with this one because man was it a dud in an otherwise really good anime.

EDIT: It also doesn't help that Crunchy Roll practically spoils the entire episode with it's thumbnail of Franz with blood coming out of his mouth laying on the ground.
PANDEMlCDec 5, 2013 8:09 AM
Dec 24, 2013 11:26 PM
Sep 2012
Franz.........😭uuaaahhhhh
Jan 14, 2014 6:25 PM

Aug 2010
R.I.P Franz
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
Apr 19, 9:36 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 11 Discussion

Kayro - Jun 18, 2008

48 by Dawizz »»
Sep 9, 2023 2:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.