3It was OK
0.0%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.6
24 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2012 5:51 PM
Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed it. "Trust" is something you can't get from anybody. But... What if someone gives you a change to be trustful? Will you do it? Will you risk your life just for a stranger?

Humans are full of weaknesses: pride, envy, and selfishness for example. But, that doesn't mean, every person is like that. It's just really difficult... to trust in somebody else.
Dec 24, 2013 8:40 AM

May 2012
It had quite a more detailed story than the alternate movie and well I sure prefered this one above the old one! Both were quite nice and had a sort of similar concept and plot but well this one was executed better!

In general quite a lovely movie!
Sep 12, 2014 3:09 PM

Jul 2013
I think I've found a little gem here...

This must be one of the most beautiful friendships that I've seen in anime. I really liked the ancient greco-roman setting as well as the original story. Trusting a stranger is nearly impossible, however the sculptor's painful past and need to believe in someone made it feasible, thus giving birth to a great relationship of trust.

I'm pretty sure that the sculptor will become Melos' best-man in the future!
NaughtyNoddySep 12, 2014 3:12 PM
Oct 31, 2014 3:48 AM

Mar 2013
was a very nice story. It seem to have high production value.. wonder why it is so little known (maybe because its from 1992)
The idea that there is sometimes a very touching story behind art (be it sculptures or painting, or whatever) was very nice at the end. The backstory of the blond guy was very nice as well, with his father. But the ending felt too consequence free in my opinion.
Feb 9, 2015 6:58 PM

Mar 2014
The story was simple, but was told nicely, with some good directing, and really nice animation.

It's too bad all of the versions I could find of this online are pretty low resolution.
Apparently this hasn't even seen a DVD release, so the highest quality official release we have is the laserdisc version. (although, the ones online look like VHS rips to me.)
This seems like it should really get some kind of BluRay re-mastering, though I'm not sure if it's popular enough to happen. :(
::End of Transmission::

May 23, 2015 1:57 AM

Dec 2008
BOy its leaps and bounds better than the original version made about 10 years earlier...ANd taking scenarios revolving around the real tyrant of Syracuse too...NOICE! A REAL MAN DOES WHAT HE MUST, including staying on time for his own execution. I cant wait to see the latest iteration of this tale, in aoi bungaku series!!! 8/10
May 16, 2017 7:53 AM

Apr 2009
The Japanese really likes this story as I've seen other anime adaptations of this like in Aoi Bungaku, much like "The Dog of Flanders" which was happen to be one of my chidhood favorite anime...oh my, must stop, old childhood memories flooding back! TT_TT

Anyhow, loved the variety of Classical people here, Etruscans, Phoenicians and their descendants, the Carthagians. Then there's their paranoid King and oh-em-gee don't let me start on that bastard gate guard, who tried to stop Melos twice. He's only doing his job but come on, he argued the difference in horsecart license and soldiers on horseback the second time even though he knows Melos and his circumstances already. What an asshat bureaucrat he was!

Trust was an issue back then until now, we have advanced so far in civilization, technology, governance and almost every facets of our lives but some things never change and so it is the same with the lessons or morals this movie might impart.

8/10 Good old animation, good plot, and still relevant societal issues even today. I don't really like Melos that much in the beginning but I think I warmed up to him midway through the film, same with Seline whom we don't really know much until near the very end. I'd picked this in a heartbeat instead of the majority of current mainstream animes we have today.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 16, 2018 12:54 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
An absolute gem of a movie.God knows why it's rated so low here in MAL because the animation is pretty good despite being more than 20 years old.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 6, 2019 4:47 PM

Nov 2016
What can I say aside from that I really enjoyed this movie and it's message.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 21, 2020 1:51 AM

Dec 2015
The perfect tale about trust. Great, undoubtedly mostly due to the base novel. Supported by the subtle music and Okiura's designs and animation (detailed when needed).

Enjoyment: 5/5
Score: 8.5/10
Feb 3, 2020 2:18 AM

Jul 2015
Nice story about trust and friendship, the animation is pretty good for an old movie

Too bad we don't get to know if Lysa knows what happened to the Celine and Melos

Dec 12, 2020 2:53 PM

Nov 2015
i'm grateful for Aoi Bungaku Series for making me find this masterpiece
Jan 17, 2021 8:14 AM

Aug 2017
Nice to see Melos voiced by Kouichi Yamadera, the future voice of Spike, Desler and Kaji, among many others. He also had roles in Satoshi Kon's films, and in Samurai Champloo. Was surprised to recognize Daisuke Gouri as a guy with a knife during the rooster fight. He also played Matsunosuke Shibui from Samurai Champloo (not the only one on this production, apparently). There were some other familiar voices, like Takeshi Aono and Megumi Hayashibara.

The guy who "helped" the person on the cross forgot his sword :-[

Great fight between Alexis and the other bearded guy...it had a sense of weight to it.

Reisa's design certainly looks familiar... and Melos' look reminds me of Miguel from Magnetic Rose. Both movies share Hiroyuki Okiura, hmmm. Though his roles seem to differ. And Dionysius' bangs remind me of those Usagi and Misato have.

Don't remember Raisa giving Melos her necklace...

All in all, didn't expect it to be such a touching story. Brought some tears out of me. A shame it never got a remaster and remained in a relatively poor quality in terms of resolution, colors (King's hair?), etc. Now I need to track down just what was the degree of involvement of Satoshi Kon with this... I also wonder whether the bas-reliefs were based off of some original work.

P.S. Sad Raisa bever saw any of them again, they both survived ;_;
St0rmbladeJan 17, 2021 10:10 AM
Aug 27, 2022 5:22 PM
Aug 2022
Such a well made film, shame it wasn't in better quality, but still Melos journey back to his possible death was really intense and touching.
Oct 13, 2023 5:29 AM

Oct 2023
The movie told such a beautiful story of friendship and trust. I truly did not expect the movie to be as good as it was. It really makes you think about the world from a different perspective, despite all the horrible things and people in the world there is hope in something better and we should strive towards it, even if that means trusting in a complete stranger and honoring a promise that seems impossible. I really enjoyed the friendship between Melos and Celine and the plot twist along with his whole backstory. I don't have the words to describe how touched I am by this movie.

More topics from this board

» High definition version

Metal-Man - Oct 25, 2019

5 by Alcoholicide »»
Jan 21, 2020 12:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.