Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 23, 2012 11:41 AM
Jan 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
And so it ends.

Honestly I was really intrigued by this manga at first but there was many boring parts.

He finally reached the top of K2.
Paid the price for it.
Aug 23, 2012 12:15 PM

Mar 2010
Fantastic Ending....

I have no words to say. Absolutely a masterpiece...
Aug 23, 2012 6:19 PM
Sep 2009
I have to agree.

This last volume in special, is everything that made this manga so perfect, combined. The psychological themes, the tragic drama, the epic double pages, the tension related to the climbing itself, the unique art/narrative.

Fuck, almost every chapter in this volume was unique and perfect.
Aug 23, 2012 10:16 PM

Sep 2011
Great last chapter - I was so worried right up to the end!
Aug 24, 2012 2:40 AM

Feb 2010
great ending for a great manga!
Aug 30, 2012 2:16 PM

Jan 2008
Great Manga. Magnificent ending. Love this.

And the thoughts of Mangaka Shinichi Sakomoto really add emotionally and rationally to the ending.

"Buntarou is alive".

He definitely is...
Feb 23, 2013 6:33 AM
Jan 2009
I found the ending surprising to an extent, but really enjoyed this manga. When you read or watch something that feels like a journey it's so fulfilling, I feel like going out and climbing recently although I'm not strong enough to do so...
Aug 3, 2013 3:02 PM

Nov 2011
So did Takemura, the crazy guy, die? I'm sorry to ask a dumb question, but this manga was difficult for me to read due to all the time jumps and hallucinations.
DebaserAug 3, 2013 3:06 PM
Aug 3, 2013 3:49 PM

Sep 2011
Debaser said:
So did Takemura, the crazy guy, die? I'm sorry to ask a dumb question, but this manga was difficult for me to read due to all the time jumps and hallucinations.

Yes he did
Aug 6, 2013 2:07 AM

Nov 2011
inzaratha said:
Debaser said:

Yes he did

Wow I thought, the MC would do more for him considering he stayed with the other guy.
Aug 8, 2013 11:41 AM

Sep 2011
He stayed with Takemura.
Feb 28, 2014 9:56 PM
Feb 2014
So did he die or did his name as the immortal die like in the latest batman movie
also did he reunite with his family

this manga is so bague
I only read books i have already read
Feb 28, 2014 10:26 PM

Sep 2011
He came back to his family although he is now partially crippled forever because of the frostbite etc.
Jul 4, 2014 8:32 PM

Jul 2011
The ending wasn't vague, to the two above . The journey might've been.
Mori's alive. Crippled and lacking toes/fingers, but definitely alive.

Every chapter was a thrill. At first it was some kind of epic shounen-like series, but gradually it turned tragic, full of despair, a crapload of imagery and human depravity. From there, Hana-chan appeared and the world seemed to light up for Mori.

Then Takemura... whom I feel was a blemish at 130/140 chapters, showed up. But the series again regained itself during the final climb.

I can't say I loved the conclusion, since I wish it showed a bit more of his family and him returning to them, as well as Mori growing old, but I still loved it. I wanted a two page panel of the scenery from the top though, or of the birds. That would've been really nice.

It was a glorious journey. The themes, the tragedy, the imagery, the determination, the character development... 7 hrs of straight reading to finish this, and worth it. :D

Jul 20, 2014 8:57 AM
Oct 2013
From what I can understand, in simpler terms, Mori had returned alive to his family but suffered frost bites on both of his feet.

The lines "The Immortal Katou Buntarou Died" means that his career as a mountain climber had ended.

I was confused for a moment too.

Great manga. A masterpiece indeed. Rated it 10/10.
Sep 26, 2014 2:39 PM

Apr 2011
Enjoyed this ending a lot.

To this day he keeps goin'. 10/10

I wish we saw the reaction and excitement his wife got whenever they found out he reached the top. Gotta see how the kid turned out too...
Sep 26, 2014 5:02 PM

Nov 2012
Never been fond of manga tbh,but can genuinely say this was a masterpiece 10/10.

Not a single chapter that passed that didn't interest/deeply intrigued/impact me in some way,shape,or form.

"The Immortal Katou Buntarou Died" but "Buntarou is alive".

The only thing that kinda made this ending imperfect was the fact that we didn't get to see Hana's reaction to hearing Mori reached the summit of K2 and was safe and that we didn't get to see Mori reunion with his family after his long grueling journey.
VanishingKiraSep 26, 2014 5:06 PM
Sep 27, 2014 2:57 PM
Jan 2012
what a masterpiece ;__;
Nov 17, 2014 12:16 PM

Oct 2013
phew! that was really something, thos last chapters were powerful
Feb 12, 2015 6:36 AM

Apr 2011
In ending, he is alive. But in real life both of them dead. Read afterward words of author pls XD
~♥~ Otaku + Otaku - Otaku = Otaku ~♥~
Feb 13, 2015 2:06 PM

Aug 2010
I loved the manga but disliked this ending. I was expecting something way more tragic tbh. Losing his fingers in a journey like that seems barely anything to me.

Overall it was a masterpiece, full of drama, action, sucess and failure.
Feb 20, 2015 6:20 AM

Dec 2014
What a cathartic manga and a true bildungsroman as well. Mori started out as a young, socially awkward boy and we could all witness the way he finds a purpose in life, how it changes him, and eventually, his success. It’s so nice to see him smile in the last panels. He looks genuinely happy and content with his life even though he lost so much. His limbs are permanently damaged because of the frostbite he suffered, he’s limping, he won’t be able to climb ever again, his career is over but in the end, he had it all. He achieved his dream and stayed alive to be with his family again.

Still, this manga also had many tragedies. Seeing many climbers die and Mori’s old friends wasting their lives, lying to him, and stealing from him broke my heart.

I love hiking in real life and I’ve always wanted to try climbing as well. I seriously learnt a lot about different techniques and such from reading this. The art was beautiful too. Not only it was detailed and realistic but it had the best visual representations of different feelings I’ve seen. What I mean is how Mori’s first (oral) sexual experience is depicted, his loneliness, and how hard it was for him to make the decision whether to continue climbing to the peak of K2 or to turn back.

I feel so empowered and inspired after reading this manga that I feel like I can do anything.

10/10 from me, this is a masterpiece.
Apr 2, 2015 3:04 PM

Dec 2009
Great manga full of emotion, struggle, and perseverance. And it taught me a thing or two about climbing.

Just goes to show that if you work hard to achieve your goal, that sacrifices you make will all be worth it. Even if it is a limb or two.

Loved this manga.
Jun 8, 2015 2:32 PM

Aug 2012
I'm glad he survived, but I don't think it was worth it. He is crippled and his psychological issues haven't been so much resolved. He looks miserable and content at the same time in the end... I don't know if he can truly be happy. I can't call this ending satisfying.
Anyway great story and amazing art.
Jun 20, 2015 5:49 AM

Aug 2013
So, it's over now. When it comes right down to it the beginning of the story wasn't so strong for me to be honest, for example I'm still not quite sure why as soon as Mori transferred to another school he started climbing and how all of a sudden he became so obsessed with climbing etc. I know, from Mori's point of view, the mountains were a way of escaping from the people and reality, but everything happened in the blink of an eye.

So many events were over exaggerated, 90% of the characters we saw were complete assholes. To my surprise even though it's finished, a few things still left unanswered, for example this:

Mori mistook this guy for his old (and dead) friend Mizuki. Who was Mizuki? How was their relationship? What happened before Mori came to this high school? Why did Mizuki commit suicide? The author should have put some flashback scenes about Mori's past life so that we would be less confused about the supporting characters. Actually it's like all these characters were just there in order to make Mori's life difficult in my opinion. The author should have given more explanation, I don't understand some time later how and why all of them became such douchebags. Sometimes Hana-chan wasn't different from them either. She was someone who always tasted the same loneliness like Mori did, that's why I had right to expect her to be more considerate about Mori's situation, but that was another disappointment.

Does this manga seriously reflect the real life? I don't think so. I'm sorry but after a while including Mori all of the characters became unrealistic. There were so many plot holes with sudden time skips and I could find no real reason for this kind of flow of events. I can't say I didn't enjoy it, the story wasn't that bad and the artwork was magnificent, but no matter how beautifully it's drawn the flaws in this manga don't disappear.
Jun 20, 2015 6:45 AM

Aug 2013

It's like that because the mangaka didn't do the story on his own from the start, multiple people wrote it at the beginning. Later on once he started doing if on his own and there is a noticeable change after that. It doesn't really bother me at all, although it could have been a more solid story.

Anyway if that's what's bothering you so much, I think that you missed the point of it all or it just isn't for you..[/quote]
I started reading this after seeing the recommendation some users made for the manga "Real". That is even more depressing than Kokou no Hito, but I can easily put myself in the shoes of all characters and everything seems reasonable. What they do, think and feel... All of them make sense to me. But I couldn't experience it in this manga even though I'm also a loner like Mori. The drama and tragedy could have been written better than that. Well, whatever.
Aug 10, 2015 1:42 AM

Nov 2011
Mm, I read this as I was going through the backlog and well, it caught my attention because of the premise and artwork. Didn't regret one bit of it. This manga tells of a story that mixes in a lot of themes and I liked the journey of the MC. In particular, his relationship with others and the journey he undertakes along with his passion of climbing took him to places he's never been before.

Loved some of the metaphoric ways the series used to illustrate many of the chapters too through its storytelling.

8/10. Possibly 9/10.
Apr 30, 2016 4:32 PM

Sep 2013
While the beggining wasn't that interesting for me personally, as it went on, it got better and better and especially the last couple of volumes were intense.
Aug 20, 2016 1:42 PM

Jun 2013
Amazing manga, what else to say.
Now that I've finished it I feel both empty and happy. I really thought Mori's gonna die in the last chapter and I'd love to see how he descended K2 alone.
I really liked the storytelling with timeskips and flashbacks, they made it all seem realistic and somehow depressing. Artwork was beyond words. As a loner myself, I could really put myself into Mori's shoes and he continued being interesting to the very end.
One thing that I was surprised is his change of heart he went through throughout the series and how his opinions on the world around him changed. It somehow made an inpact on myself as well. I loved how the other characters made an appearance not too long and unnecessary. Everything was in perfect balance imo.
I had absolutely no interest in climbing before I read this manga and even now I can't say I'm eager to become a climber or anything of that sort but it somehow made me understand it a bit more and I've learnt a lot as well.
It was a brilliant journey, I definitely give it 10/10.
Nov 9, 2017 12:32 PM

Aug 2012
That was a great journey. It started off weak then the atmosphere became heavier , It's satisfying to see the life of Mori throughout the series. From being a loner to a family man and he didn't forget his goal at the same time he achieve it.
Dec 26, 2017 4:22 AM

Feb 2014
I feel good about this ending he got to see his family again and reached the peak of K2, i wish it was a little bit more fleshed out but the Mangaka probably thought to keep it ambiguous until the very end to keep the suspense, i know i was reading as fast as i could my heart was racing just to see the conclusion, honestly Mori's progression through the story as a character was really great to see just how strong he is at the end compared to the start of the story.

Overall i had a great time reading this manga.
Dragon Kick Your Ass Into The Milky Way!

Jan 2, 2018 11:40 PM

Nov 2013
Firstly, kudos to the storywriter who changes seemingly typical shounen series at first into something different.

But overall it's pretty bad. Many of these characters such as Miyamoto, Yumi and Moriyama's team got completely thrown out of window and easily departing from their potential. I also hated the many of unnecessary nudity and sex used by the author, some parts were reasonable, some were not. But even then it is not one of the series where sex and nudity is so much affecting story, as if I think the author just throw em there just to make the series 'mature' while it is actually not.

In the end. 170 chapters could have been so much better rather than just to explore one character (which I think is way too much too).
DannyTheDonkeyJan 2, 2018 11:48 PM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 31, 2018 3:44 PM

Oct 2017
I'm glad the chapter ended but still I hate his wife. How could she told her daughter to "shut up"
Apr 23, 2018 10:29 PM
Jul 2018
It's not a series without flaws, but it's excellent when it focuses on its strength, the symbolisms and the metaphors, with the help of its wonderful art. It's a psychological exploration, and I am glad that it turned out that way after 33 chapters, although that meant the sacrifice of some characters and plotlines.
The only problem is that since the focus has always been on Mori, the other characters didn't turn out impressive. Although I guess that's the point of it since it's more or less about Mori's journey, but still I think some of the characters could have been handled better, especially Miyamoto who just made an evil cameo appearance, or even Yumi(whom we saw time to time just for the sake of the story).
Obviously, the art is fantastic to highlight those metaphorical imageries, especially the last half of the manga.
8/10, that was quite a unique ride overall.
Apr 24, 2018 5:13 PM
Jul 2017
Pelo q entendi ele voltou vivo(no mangá) soq perdeu os dedos, porém na vida real ele morreu mas o nome dele continua vivo até hj
Aug 15, 2018 1:15 AM

Mar 2016
This manga was damn brilliant. So many people around Mori died on the mountains, yet he didn't stop. He carried on, until he finally reached his goal, to get to the peak of K2. Mori was such an amazing character. 10/10.
Sep 23, 2018 9:46 PM
Jul 2017
Já se passaram 5 meses q li e até hj não acredito no final
Jan 27, 2019 9:03 AM
Nov 2018
The last chapter left me speechless, this is definitely THE CREATIVE itself I’ve been searching for a long time , Literally a masterpiece !
Feb 20, 2019 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
Yup the two last volume was really something special. It could been worse but the author creatively uses high visual narrative at its finest. The ending logically good.

Overall I liked the manga throughout its run. Its definitely interesting how clinch it started and then transformed into seinen-ish. One thing I really disliked that it discards lot of side characters especially few (on the earlier were suppose to appear who influenced mc for better or worse). Also the middle chapters were quite confusing since it was randomly shifting the narrative and some development could fleshed out abit.
Mar 13, 2019 6:02 PM
Nov 2014
I really don't know how to feel about I feel about this manga. It had some really great moments but the bad overweights the good. I really hated how the 95% of the characters have to irredimable pieces of shit. When his friend from high school was gonna appear again, I was really excited, but nah make him an asshole piece of shit too. And what was the point of that character that appeard early on only to see him a corpse in the end?

But hey at least it had a happy ending which I definetly didn't see coming.
Nov 17, 2019 9:49 AM

Oct 2012
Rather interesting psychological seinen...

Sadly ending was a major trainwreck with adding some mysticism and pulling deus ex rope from nowhere along with supplies left along the road...

Loved the art though, reminded me of the vagabond art a lot.

Overall a great read but those last few chapters were full of disappointment(aside of him encountering the other solo climber, that was masterfully done, I kept thinking that author abandoned/forgot that character), was thinking of 9 originally, but nah, a strong 8/10 will do for such terrible finale.
HentaichegNov 17, 2019 9:57 AM
Nov 30, 2019 8:35 AM

Aug 2018
Amazing from start to finish.

The Climber was always a reference to how you get through life and how difficult actually is. Mori is alone and he fought in order not to be anymore in the end.

"Buntarou is alive...", well, of course he is. He will always be. He found life in K2's 8600m summit.

PD: Was I the only one that in chapter 169 put this song while Buntarou climbed the last ice wall in K2?

PentagramShogokiNov 30, 2019 12:47 PM
Jul 1, 2020 5:12 AM

Feb 2019
Thus it ends honestly the manga was great up until chap 1-90 then it kinda become boring for some parts this last volume was awesome how shinichi did the ending of this manga... Tho some parts haven't explained yet about Mori past and that boy who appeared at the beginning of the tournament.
Jul 30, 2020 1:24 PM

Dec 2013
Holy fucking Masterpiece
Obviously like any manga it has flaws but Goddamn the last couple chapters are a visual experience
Dec 4, 2020 3:29 AM

Jul 2019
It's been months since I've picked up this manga and I still think about it till this day.

Has some minor issues but definitely one of the best mangas around. Symbolism and metaphors are absolutely great. Last volumes were god tier.
Feb 19, 2021 2:41 PM
Jul 2019
So good manga, no words can describe the feeling i felt while reading this masterpiece. His life changed from being alone and betrayed, to starting a family, being a cogwheel in society, going out with friends, however the love he had for mountains never vanished. He achieved both his dreams and happiness from being together with his family in the end but with the cost of never climbing a mountain again.. 10/10

Huge respect to the real Buntarou Kato and the author of "Kokou no Hito".
Jan 21, 2022 10:39 PM

May 2020
This was an interesting read.

I'll admit, reading the first few volumes I genuinely thought this was going to be a pretty stereotypical shounen manga, with the emo protagonist finally gaining friends and having a wholesome life. But nope. Props to the author for some creative choices for the supporting characters (even if 90% of them turn out to be terrible pieces of shit). I didn't see Oonishi sensei's death coming at all, although I feel like turning Yumi into a prostitute and Mayamoto into some coward who doesn't climb was completely out of left field. I mean I could see Yumi spiral downwards after being refused her college recommendation and getting abused after that magazine article was written but Mayamoto turning into a skeevy scamster ? Just felt really out of character, especially since all of this happens off-screen.

As for Buntarou himself, I actually grew to like him as a character. I didn't really feel anything for him at first but the parts of the manga from the first timeskip up until he meets Hana were the best parts of the manga for me. Felt sorry for him, going through everything he did.

Everything after Hana appears was pretty meh to me. It's not the character's fault but I felt like the author could've shown us the relationship develop a little more. The final K2 climb was a little too deus-ex-machina-ish for me, with him almost dying at one point and then scaling the most difficult mountain in the world in like 5 panels.

Also, I'll be honest, seeing what happened to Yumi and Mayamoto, I was fully expecting Hana to be a terrible person too but I guess the author wanted to leave a little bit of hope for Buntarou.

Overall, I think this is a pretty good manga but the writing didn't really resonate except for the things directly related to Buntarou and the final few volumes weren't that interesting to me.
Jan 29, 2022 1:41 AM
Nov 2021
So in the end did he really die or did he survived cause on the last page it was written that his body was found so am a little confused?😅
Jan 29, 2022 2:25 PM
Aug 2019
God what a manga... Everything was all over the place in a bad way. I wish the author utilized the angel dude a bit more. Too many flaws... Still a 8/10 tho.

Palash123 said:
So in the end did he really die or did he survived cause on the last page it was written that his body was found so am a little confused?😅

He's alive.
"Anime was a mistake." - Hayao Miyazaki
"Please check my page here •-•" - Me
"No, owomachine. I won't hit you since you don't deserve to live in a nice isekai world" - Truck-kun
Jun 20, 2022 8:37 PM

Oct 2020
this ending was completely dogshit, tf happened to the all or nothing situation? Mori should've either died on the mountain or retreated before the final push to the peak, absolute cop out that he got to the top and survived.

The last 40 chapters were just a complete mess, especially near the end where Mori 'realises' you should never climb alone, then immediately is overjoyed at the fact that he can climb alone now that Takemura has died.

The angel wings guy was used to make Mori realise that solo climbers are destined to die, and now without Takemura he is a solo climber so you'd think he'd turn back right?, But no, he carried on, literally throwing all his fuckin character development out of the window.

Man this manga just kept going downhill after that marriage timeskip. You just cant time skip character development in and barely even explain any of it, complete bullshit. I really have no idea why im writing this i finished it like 2 weeks ago.
hzrdsJun 20, 2022 8:41 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kokou no Hito Chapter 82 Discussion

H_Erifu - Jun 5, 2015

6 by Invertainment »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Kokou no Hito Chapter 162 Discussion

H_Erifu - Jun 20, 2015

2 by Rhaelynne »»
Apr 23, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Kokou no Hito Chapter 147 Discussion

UnknownGhost5 - Oct 7, 2023

3 by Rhaelynne »»
Apr 23, 10:17 PM

Poll: » Kokou no Hito Chapter 131 Discussion

captainandrew - Jul 2, 2011

4 by Rhaelynne »»
Apr 23, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Kokou no Hito Chapter 122 Discussion

photophobic - Feb 20, 2020

2 by Rhaelynne »»
Apr 23, 4:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.