Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 25, 2013 8:42 PM

Aug 2008
If that was her grandpa, then I'm sure he was perverted like hell. XD
Also, the part where he touched Watashi's boobs was very funny.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

May 13, 2013 12:18 PM

Mar 2013
So, hold on. Let me know if I have this right.
Grandpa sends Watashi to go find the assistant and gives her a wrist sundial, which he received from a woman a long time ago, since her watch broke. Meanwhile, the fairies engineer a banana that causes Watashi to slip and fall, thus, for some reason, bringing her back in time. The fairies take advantage of this to gather as many Watashis as they could to bake a whole bunch of sweets for them. Makes sense.

Anyway, the fairies mess up and end up making a banana that takes Watashi way too far back in time, where she meets a younger grandpa, whom we acknowledge as the "Ringo Kid". The kid is a real womaniser and becomes fond of Watashi quickly. He discovers the wrist sundial that she was wearing and he runs off with it(this is how grandpa received the sundial, and Watashi is the woman who "gave" it to him). Watashi ends up back in present time, presumably after the fairies fixed their mistake...?

Anyway, the watch she had was gone, and she went off to search for the assistant again. She finds the hearth in the middle of the forest, as expected. She ends up asking her time clones what they think the assistant looks like, and they come up with a description of a silent, gentle, well-mannered kid who likes to wear nice shirts. After eating another banana and "falling" back in time again, Watashi goes to the plaza and finds the assistant as she was supposed to. The dogs represent different time paradoxes that the universe had to resolve to account for the fairies' mischief.

So, if I'm right, the assistant never existed before Watashi found him, and came to exist only after she and her clones had formed a description of him.

It's scary to think how powerful the fairies are.

TL;DR this is some trippy alice in wonderland shit
May 28, 2013 6:58 PM

Aug 2012
I literally went "Oh crap" when Watashi said that Grandpa stole the sundial.
This episode did a lot of justice to the previous one and wrapped up this arc pretty nicely.
May 30, 2013 1:53 PM
Aug 2012
that was some crzy stuff again i thing it was likely ringo is the younger grandpa. time paradog hehe brilliant in the first episode of the arc tho wat was the dog who changed in to a person with like a cape or something then back to adog before the strt of the paradox
Jul 29, 2013 8:36 PM

Jan 2010
Snakebee said:
Oniikami said:
wait, can someone clarify a lot of things?

like i'm getting the feeling that people are saying that the assistant is the younger form of the grandpa? or is the wild kid and the assistant two different people?
grandpa = older wild kid = assistant?
grandpa = older wild kid which is unrelated to the assistant?
wild kid = assistant and the grandpa is unrelated?
all three are unrelated to each other?

i've never been good with time paradox/traveling themed things since you have to go back again to understand further, but it's not working for me this time

Assistant has blue eyes.
Ringo has green eyes.
Grandpa has green eyes and the sundial. I think that's the most convincing evidence.

Dont forget the eyebrows :D
Omfg
If thats the case then...
SO MUCH INCEST
Aug 21, 2013 7:44 AM

Mar 2013
Thanks for summarizing guys.

This episode made me like Assistent even more.
Sep 9, 2013 11:04 AM

Sep 2011
Holy motherfucking shit I just woke up from reality that the kid was the gramps.

And a perverted male, seems typical Tanaka's way of portraying his male character/s.

Nov 8, 2013 5:52 PM
Nov 2013
I'm confused. It seemed like this was the first episode where Watashi met the Assistant. But if it is then why was the Assistant in every other episode prior to this?
Dec 31, 2013 5:07 AM

Sep 2013
Graser1 said:
I'm confused. It seemed like this was the first episode where Watashi met the Assistant. But if it is then why was the Assistant in every other episode prior to this?
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=486797
Feb 17, 2014 9:26 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

The plot in hindsight seems a taken for a ride, but in the end the circle closes, and the fans corollary to everything dialogues always deep.
These are set to Watashi, the best part of the anime.
Very complicated history that needs time and a cool head in order to be understood.
A very underrated anime that deserves to be rediscovered.
Mar 17, 2014 4:49 AM

Aug 2013
Haha I didn't make the connection until the end. So that's what the fairy was talking about when he said the bug sent her pretty far back: the wild kid was her grandfather XD! That explains the sundial watch that was "given to him" by a beautiful woman whom he met before meeting her grandmother. Gotta wonder if that other woman was her grandma haha.

Time paradog? This show...this show...
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 7, 2014 4:11 PM
Aug 2011
I knew it was her grandpa.
Jul 7, 2014 7:50 PM
Jun 2014
40 minutes of setup and detailed explanation for a wordplay joke. This show never fails to surprise me.
Aug 5, 2014 10:26 PM

Nov 2011
Hahahahahahahaha oh fucking shit man! I knew right away that the wild kid was the professor when the fairy mentioned the bug about sending her WAY back.

But as for the time paradox, might it be the paradox of the old professor giving the sundial watch to Watashi on the first time? After all, if in the past, the young professor STOLE it from a girl who came far from the future (Watashi), and if SHE was in possession of it ONLY because the OLD professor gave it to her, then how did Watashi even ever have it in the first place? (I might change this later because I have a feel this isn't what I'm supposed to say)

Agh fuck, my train of thought died while trying to organise everything. Please be right. I'll think it over again once I get back home, lol.
Dec 28, 2014 3:42 AM

Nov 2012
Lol so the assistant is based on her fantasies over her grandfather as a youth. Young grand dad is the overall clay, and she molded him into that.
Jaywalker.
Dec 30, 2014 8:41 AM

Apr 2008
I think that Assistant, like the sundial watch, is a bootstrap paradox himself.
It all started when Watashi mentioned to the fairies that more hands=more sweets, that's when they suggested to clone Watashi. Except Watashi was against cloning, so they had to come up with a plan where multiple Watashis would exist without cloning and without her realizing it, hence the time loop.

Assistance origin is a mystery, like the watch itself. It's unknown where the idea of Assistance originates, but because the bug in the banana, Watashi with the idea of an existing Assistant was sent to the far past, thus planting Assistant as an idea in the past and he was waiting all this time to gain a personality and a form to be more than just an idea "he is from an isolated land. He is left alone. No identity. He is smart"

I base this on the fact that no one knows exactly what Assistance looks like. They all base him on their ideals and perception of what average is, the grandfather thinks of Hercules and the doctor thinks of numbers and blood type. It's hinted that he took his form from Watashi's ideals at the tea party, that's when there was an enough number of Watashis to intensify her ideals making them stronger and clearer for the idea of the assistance to take physical shape.

I loved this arc and I think it was brilliant. I'm glad I have decided to pick up this show.
Dec 31, 2014 1:13 AM

Apr 2008
Now I really want to re-watch this in chronological order.
Jan 14, 2015 5:34 PM

Oct 2011
wow, this is amazing.
time traveling based story is great yet hard to make. even sometimes it hard to understand which made you have to watch it over and over.
i always wonder, how did someone can came up with such stories ?
Jun 21, 2015 1:37 AM

Nov 2012
Time paradoxes, my favorite cause for headaches. So much mindfucks to be had after piecing together all the mysteries.
Oct 1, 2015 1:04 AM

Mar 2012
Not my cup of tea.
Nov 12, 2015 12:21 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
The first episode of this 2 episode arc had me kind of bored with the frequent loops, but seeing the Wild Assistant was very nice. I really liked his character. And then the reveal at the end had me like YOOOOOOOO.

>One of the banana models glitched her too far back.
>Felt like her watch got stolen
>Grandpa told her story about beautiful woman who gave him said watch

I still can't handle this. YOOOOOOOO. 10/10
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Nov 16, 2015 10:09 AM

Jul 2014
Yeah, I think this show has blown my mind way too hard here. I usually hate time loops, and I kinda hated this one too at first, but the way it all came together at the end really sets it apart.

This series really is something special.
Nov 16, 2015 12:45 PM

Jul 2013
Time paradogs! LOL! that's hilarious!

The other wild assistant was hilarious but real assistant has a sad back story. How does everyone know it was her grandpa? o_O oh because of the sundial watch, nevermind.
stephtastropheNov 16, 2015 1:06 PM
Jun 9, 2016 10:15 AM

Apr 2015
The repetition was beginning to get tedious, but the time paradog pun almost made it worth watching. I seriously hope shows stop doing that endless eight trash.
Oct 21, 2016 9:08 AM

Mar 2015
If I hadnt visited the forum, I never noticed the Ringo kid as grandpa and I never realized how deep this arc can get. I watched this arc in hurry so I dont have time to think deeply.

My score for this episode before visiting forum is 3.1/5 and now raised to 3.5/5.
Nov 2, 2016 10:30 AM

Feb 2016
Just wanna ask because nobody seems to have mentioned this already, but

what's with the line "You've seen a little more of the world now." which one of the Watashi clones said?
"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

Nov 2, 2016 10:47 AM

Feb 2016
I'm also having a hard time believing that the Assistant was actually willed into existence. It's implied that he didn't have any real form before he attained identity from the Tea Party, however there's never any explanation why this is. Maybe the ethnic minority the Grandpa mentioned may have been a group of formless creatures, or maybe the ethnic minority was also just something the Grandpa made up from the top of his head just like the muscular body type he said the Assistant had because he didn't actually know the Assistant's true form and that the Assistant was really just found somewhere. I don't know.

There just doesn't seem to be a reason why the Assistant would be formless in the first place.
"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

Jan 3, 2017 8:13 AM

Dec 2015
This episode is basically a repeat (or should I say loop?) of the previous episode, with more details. Interestingly, the doctor seems somewhat aware of it too, besides Watashi. I wonder why the tune played during the first loop or so was Rock-a-bye Baby, that's an interesting choice.

Assistant's backstory that he was from a village on the plateau and that he was alone when he was found, and thus couldn't speak, was interesting. Reminds me of feral children, though Assistant has to be the most gentle and civilized feral child I've seen thus far.

The ??? loop was the most different one, since we got a very wild-looking boy (who also turns out to be the actual Grandfather when he was younger lol). I wonder if that lady in the purple dress was Watashi's grandmother then? It makes sense that they were eventually separated, since if that boy had stuck with Watashi, well, Watashi wouldn't exist now. (Ah, I love paradoxes. In this case it would be the grandfather paradox, how oddly fitting.) One thing that the loop never showed, though, is whether Watashi made it to the forest. Or was there even a forest then? Since Watashi did make it to a time many years prior, instead of just several hours. If she didn't slip on that banana, how did it loop again?

The part where the other Watashis were asking Watashi what the Assistant should be is the most interesting one.

1. The way Watashi talks about the Assistant's traits sounds a lot like Watashi listing out traits in a future romantic partner! I wonder if this is supposed to set up Assistant as a viable love interest.

2. Assistant using the tea party to get a sense of himself, though... I don't quite like it, because then his sense of self is essentially an idealized form from Watashi, instead of an organic one that he developed himself through social interactions. It's kind of like, he's not truly himself, but exists for others? I can't really put it into words.

3. Watashi thinking of that boy from that ??? loop while she talked about Assistant's traits - that oddly and disturbingly sounds like she likes her grandfather lol. Or it could simply be a case of how little girls say they want to marry their father - their parental figure provides basic traits that girls seek? (I have a feeling I'm overthinking this.) Interestingly, Ringo gave Watashi an *apple*, of all things - when apples are considered sinful and the forbidden fruit, and we're talking about incest here.

As a sociology major, this episode also got me thinking about symbolic interactionism. George Herbert Mead developed the idea of the "I" and the "me", whereby the "I" is the innate, active aspect of the self, and the "me" is the socialized aspect of the self. The "me" is developed through social interaction with others - in this case, Assistant's "me" is essentially what Watashi thinks him to be. The "I" notes society's response through the "me" and forms its own responses and actions (which can be contrary to society's expectations). Together, the "I" and the "me" form the self, or personality. In this episode, though, we didn't see the Assistant's "I" side, only the "me" aspect. So it's fitting that Assistant was looking for a sense of self; from Mead's perspective, he's only fulfilled the "me" side, but what about the "I"? Only when the Assistant truly acts of his own volition can he really have his own self.

Okay, enough about the deep stuff. Finally we hear Assistant speak! That surprised even Professor haha. FukuJun is nice to hear~ I also actually really like Ringo, he's a fun character (and a surprise pervert in this show).
Jan 14, 2017 12:57 AM

Sep 2013
So the watch just ~~existed~~ in the universe loop, even though no one created or acquired it originally? Haha.
Jun 15, 2017 8:16 AM

Jul 2014
Huh, that was pretty interesting.
Aug 9, 2017 2:51 PM

Feb 2011
time paradog? ....that was the punchline?... all that buildup...

ironic how the sundial was a paradox, never trust watches with imprecise time

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Nov 19, 2017 10:11 AM

Mar 2017
Time paradogs.

I fucking love this show!
Feb 25, 2018 5:37 PM
Jan 2017
I skipped this epsiode when they were doing an annoying repeating the same path AGAIN
Mar 13, 2018 12:50 AM
Mar 2017
Time paradogs.

I fucking love this show!

What is "Time paradog" that they talk so much about? I'm watching a sub in Spanish, and the title is different ... or did they show it somewhere else that I did not see?
time paradog? ....that was the punchline?... all that buildup...

ironic how the sundial was a paradox, never trust watches with imprecise time

What is "Time paradog" that they talk so much about? I'm watching a sub in Spanish, and the title is different ... or did they show it somewhere else that I did not see?
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Jan 18, 2019 12:22 PM

May 2013
Lmao I can totally see the grandpa as that pervy little 13 year old now omg. They have the same eyes xD

Assistant's voice is sweet C:
Apr 13, 2020 7:52 PM

Jan 2013
this Groundhog Day arc didnt do it for me
May 13, 2020 3:35 PM

Mar 2020
So if Assistant didnt exist prior to watashi creating him, how come the slutty doctor and grandfather were looking for him in the first place? And what's up with this being last of his ethnic minority backstory?

edit: nvm LN explains it later
KuroNekoAlchemyMay 14, 2020 4:39 PM
Dec 8, 2020 6:53 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So basically of all that "fucked up" time part they have the Time Paradog xD that sexual harassment part though...xD
Aug 22, 2021 1:33 PM
Dec 2019
This reminds me of Abenobashi wherein they sexualize the grandmother and have her rub her boobs on her grandson who had traveled back in time.

I really don't appreciate the typical anime attempt at humor through sexual harassment. It's especially egregious since it's his granddaughter. Like, if you're going for dirty humor, at least make some clever innuendos but the Japanese rarely ever do that because it seems they think simply expressing sexual interest is funny in itself. Which makes sense if your culture is sexually repressed I guess.

Feb 21, 2022 10:33 PM
Nov 2020
This was a badly-directed arc in my opinion. Sure, people think having time travel paradoxes is cool and all, but 1: this was unnecessarily confusing (and weird too, see Recynon's comment above) and 2: the direction of this show kind of diverged from previous episodes (so that the more enjoyable aspects of them were rather subdued here). Looking back, I think episodes 1 and 2 are the best ones (so far) to me, partly because the world and ideas were fresh at that time, and partly because they really did perform better on several metrics. Add in my prior expectations of where the story would go (e.g., some more focus on the contrast between the remnants of the bureaucratic UN and affiliated organizations and the fairy-tale / homely feeling) and you more or less get what I feel at this current point in the show.
ilalocheziaFeb 21, 2022 10:37 PM
Mar 14, 2022 11:17 PM
May 2021
Oh shit this arc is great and I seriously laughing when I said the time Paradog and I was somewhat confuse but after reading the comments I like it even more.But those I don't like the scene when he touches Watashi.
Oct 12, 2022 1:32 AM

Sep 2017
thank god we didnt have the sexually harassing assistant

and he spoke finally in airing order.

also time paradogses maybe a good idea to explore how they can offset the timeline. i thought it was prestige replicating sorta shit

My man

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Feb 11, 2023 8:46 AM

Jul 2015
Gramps sure was a wild one as a kid, and a pervert above that for even touching his granddaughter Watashi like that.

Sep 13, 2023 2:54 AM

Jul 2014
I am so confused and enlightened at the same time. After reading the comments , probably I understood more lol
Mar 1, 4:54 PM

Jun 2020
So she created assistant he was not existed before and I actually didn’t understand that it was her grandpa to the moment she mentioned the watch
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Aug 26, 2012

119 by ManuelFragment »»
Apr 23, 8:23 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

prismheart - Jul 22, 2012

124 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:54 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

prismheart - Aug 12, 2012

132 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 1, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

prismheart - Aug 5, 2012

126 by kirA_-_ »»
Feb 29, 3:28 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

prismheart - Sep 16, 2012

246 by superwaha »»
Feb 24, 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.