Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is DN overrated?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 2, 2008 5:46 AM
Jul 2018
I wouldn't say its overated but I have to agree on one thing,

The show was good cuz kept you wondering whats gonna happen next (lol thats kind of like every anime show).
Apr 3, 2008 4:04 PM

Jan 2008
Most definitely no. This is probably slightly biased, but it's definitely a beautiful and wonderful anime, and will remain one of my favorites forever.

If you want overrated crap, see Naruto. -_-

May 29, 2008 7:42 AM
Aug 2006
For any anime, there will be people who will consider it overrated. Always!
May 30, 2008 4:46 PM

Jun 2007
yep totally is but at least it's good.

good + pouplar > bad + popular.

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
May 30, 2008 4:51 PM

Jul 2007
naah, it's ok
Jun 1, 2008 3:16 PM

Oct 2007
Read my profile if you want to know what it's really about...
Jun 10, 2008 7:16 AM

Apr 2008
Basically, people who have watched Death Note fall into one of these 4 categories.

People who get it and by "get" I mean relate, in a sense
People who almost do <<People who think it is overrated. Usually the people here just dislike it for whatever personal reasons, or simply respect it as a good anime.
People who like it not for what it is *coughcoughLfangirlscoughcough*
Stupid/young people and I don't mean idiots, I mean they are close to being mentally retarded

ThisNameLies said:
Read my profile if you want to know what it's really about...
"Don't claim things are overrated unless you understand them first."
This is what I am talking about. I stopped there, in case you had manga spoilers. If you don't please let me know. I would like to read it.
LoveWifeLunchJun 10, 2008 7:27 AM
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jun 12, 2008 9:01 PM

Jan 2008
No, I wouldn't say that it's overrated.

My friend who HATES anime, all of it, because he says the plots are cliche and the characters are stupid or non-realistic. He likes Death Note, that's the only one he likes because the characters have great personalities and the plotline is great and keeps you guessing.

One of the best storylines I've ever seen and the great characters make it my favorite anime. Maybe I'm biased though. I didn't think the second arc was bad either, it really builds up the suspense and has an amazing ending episode, which I can see why people might have thought it was a bit cliche to end that way, but there was no other way it could have ended really if you think about it...

Thanks Medli for the sig!
Jun 16, 2008 3:39 AM

May 2008
I do love Death Note, but personally I hesitate to call anthing the best ever, or any such thing. Great stuff keeps being produced :) And with anime, some things just cannot be compared to others.

I will one day get around the reading the manga, to see what adaptation issues there were. I agree that the later storyline wasn't as good as the earlier, which wasn't helped by the fact I got episodes 1-25 fansubs on a dvd, then had to wait for the rest. However, I don't think the end was so bad, mostly because the acting (paired with the art) was so incredibly creepy (Light) and heart-wrenching (Matsuda, for example) that I was transfixed.

Death Note is an excellent anime for people who don't like anime. Not to say everyone will or should like it, but it's...cerebral.
Jun 19, 2008 6:44 PM

May 2008
Death Note had three phases to me. The first 16-18 episodes or so were completely amazing, and deserving of a 10. Then Light gave up his DN. At that point the show lost a lot of steam to me until the last two episodes of L's arc, where it picked up again.

That leaves Near and Mello for the last 10 episodes of the show, and to me they couldn't come close to the level of tension, suspense, and sheer chemistry that Light and L had.

Overall Death Note is a good show but, the first part was so good to me that in the end the show couldn't live up to the pace it set for itself in the early episodes.
BunjiJul 5, 2008 12:55 AM
Jul 1, 2008 10:04 AM
May 2008
Hey, I loved it. I can acknowledge that it isn't the best in terms of plot and believability, but I really enjoyed watching it nonetheless, and I've felt more attached to the characters than in any other anime I've watched. That, for me, makes it an amazing anime, but I can understand why some people don't like it.

P.S. - I guess I'm in the minority here, but I liked the Near + Mello arc better than the L arc.
Jul 8, 2008 9:28 AM

May 2008
NOT over rated as in was unpredictable and for a change, the main character was the villain

"Why do women have butts on their chests?" Son Goku
Sep 6, 2008 9:56 AM
Jul 2018
Although DN does have flaws (the whole N/Mello arc being inferior to the L arc), the fact that it was new, refreshing, brilliantly plotted AND somewhat "realistic", it definately for me was the best contemporary anime ive seen. Not to say the N/Mello arc was terrible either, it was decent and the ending was decent (If Light became a shinigami so that it could created a filler sequel, DN would lose my personal creditiability immediately).

Hence, i do not think it is a overrated anime and imo deserves the #1 position by popularity. This is coming from a person who isn't really into the detective, thriller genre-type animes. If anything, i think TLCL and CG are overrated, but thats because im not really a mecha anime fan either.
Sep 6, 2008 10:18 PM

Jul 2008
acejem said:

Completely agree here. Before watching it, I thought "Death Note" would likely suck, for several different reasons.

But it turned out to be fantastic, with the first 15 episodes being among the best I've ever seen in any series, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the supposed intelligence of the characters. Episode 7 was just unreal; the directors are never going to come close to making another episode that good ever again in their careers.
Sep 7, 2008 9:45 PM

Jun 2007
I considered Death Note done when L died. Everything after it was stupid, less interesting, and just didn't flow right. The manga does a better job making the second half flow better but the anime is utter crap once L dies. I still have a hard time trying to watch the last episodes all the way through without falling asleep. People Hype the show up wayyyyy to much. It shouldnt be in the top 3 thats for sure. Maybe 4 or 5 but definitely not top 3
Sep 8, 2008 10:17 PM

Jan 2008
i don't think its overrated.
its a good anime and it deserves the credit for being one too

Sep 8, 2008 10:43 PM

Jun 2008
untiltheend said:
i don't think its overrated.
its a good anime and it deserves the credit for being one too
Sep 8, 2008 11:19 PM

Sep 2008
death note is a really good series, but some people take it to the extreme. like other good pieces it had is flaws.

Near/mello arc could have been done better. something was lacking for the ending, it was entertaining regardless. esp mello's kidnap.
Sep 8, 2008 11:35 PM

Mar 2008
Death Note is proof that the "If you can't convince them with logic, baffle them with bullshit" saying is true...
Intelligent? Genius? Laughable. The real genius is where "Ohba" was able to use such repetitive and unbelievable schemes to convince fans otherwise.
For that, I commend him.

Certainly very enjoyable in the scope of low-thought, no-depth shounen loldrama, and even adds a bit of over-the-top pretentiousness for a few extra laughs.

Though that's the only real praise he'll receive from me.
Sep 9, 2008 7:29 PM

Jun 2008
Dima said:
I maybe the only one, but I think Death Note is definetly overrated.
Don't understand me wrong DN is good, but not as good to cause such a hype.

IMO the mafia arc was really boring and Near & mello aren't by far such a good oponent like L. The end was also really bad. I mean DN was a really original anime, but the end is standard.
Thats a big part which isn't good at all.

Most of DN is better that, but I won't forget the bad sides of DN and consider it as the best anime. There are better Animes.

Gosh! Why is there one of these topics in every popular anime's forum. I understand people want to believe that just because alot of people gave it 10 or 9's that its overrated, but people sometimes actually love the anime. I personally thought Deathnote was one of the best works out there, and have yet to be proven wrong. Its all about opinion!

Kinda like the anime Aria, which I believe to be overrated and extremely boring, so boring, it was one of the two anime I dropped. With that being said, I am apart of the minority who believe Aria sucks, while the majority consistently say how its "unique" while the only unique thing I see is how it makes me have a headache just by watching it. <_< ~cough~ Anywho, enough about that rant, point being! All people have different opinions, when your against the majority, your opinion is the minority. Because people who liked it won't say its overrated.

:)

Sep 9, 2008 7:31 PM

Jan 2008

Gosh! Why is there one of these topics in every popular anime's forum. I understand people want to believe that just because alot of people gave it 10 or 9's that its overrated, but people sometimes actually love the anime. I personally thought it was one of the best works out there, and have yet to be proven wrong. Its all about opinion!

i agree greatly

Sep 9, 2008 8:19 PM

Jul 2008
qtipbrit92 said:
Death Note is proof that the "If you can't convince them with logic, baffle them with bullshit" saying is true...
Intelligent? Genius? Laughable. The real genius is where "Ohba" was able to use such repetitive and unbelievable schemes to convince fans otherwise.
For that, I commend him.

This is hilarious. The same guy who thinks that anyone disliking Princess Mononoke "simply doesn't get its intellectual genius" is the same person downgrading Death Note because of its perceived lack of logic.

Here's a hint for you; "Death Note" being an outstanding anime had nothing to do with whether the main characters were smart or not.

Yes, some of the leaps in logic or explanations given in the series were indeed ridiculous (Yagami Light's plan for hiding his notebook being a good example), but it hurts the series very little, and anyone using that as the primary reason for "Death Note" sucking is a nit-picking asshole more than anything.

The series centers around a showdown between two unique, great individuals, has a very inventive and unique plot, is morally ambiguous, extremely fast-paced, and has some truly magnificent individual episodes.

That's why people like it.
Sep 16, 2008 4:47 AM

Jul 2008
definitely not overrated..it's one of the best animes out there..it was so unique~
Sep 17, 2008 7:49 AM

Jan 2008
DeathfireD said:
I considered Death Note done when L died.

This.

True end.

The Director's Cut confirms it.

I think the author originally intended to end it there but got pressured to make more and ran out of ideas. Just look how well put together the first half of the series is in comparison with the second.

Also it was being published in Jump and the "bad" guy winning is not a positive message to send to kids, which is why we can't have nice things.
Sep 18, 2008 11:42 AM

Jul 2008
Akagi said:
DeathfireD said:
I considered Death Note done when L died.

This.

True end.

The Director's Cut confirms it.

I think the author originally intended to end it there but got pressured to make more and ran out of ideas. Just look how well put together the first half of the series is in comparison with the second.

Also it was being published in Jump and the "bad" guy winning is not a positive message to send to kids, which is why we can't have nice things.

I was actually impressed by how good the second half was considering that everything you wrote above is accurate. It was clearly inferior to the portion of the show featuring L, but still very good, in the 8-9 range.

Yeah, it's a disappointment nonetheless, and ideally, they end it after L's death, but for a largely tacked on final 11-12 episodes, it was far, far better than expected.
Sep 18, 2008 12:01 PM

Jul 2008
I don't think deathnote is overrated, it just happens to be rated higher than I rated it, but I can understand why people like it. Death Note has one of the best starts to a series that a show can have. It was fresh, suspenseful and had some downright good elements for telling a story. The second half of the series didn't entrance me as much and the ending lacked the creativity that was seen earlier in the series and I ended up giving it and 8/10.
Sep 27, 2008 3:38 AM

Mar 2008
i think DN is UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDERrated.... it is underrated by people who says DN was OverRated...

my opinion,, episode 1-25 > episode 26-37...but i would not call nero arc bad, if L arc is Amazing to me..., nero arc is exellent but a bit confusing(too fAST PACE), AND THE ENDING?? terrible..bad..? no no no ... i don't think so.. i give the ending 4/5,in the death of Light scene at the end...you must use your own flashback power and make your own interpretation,,, the message i think according to me is umm hehe!!
Sep 27, 2008 3:42 AM

Jul 2006
Death Note ends at episode 26 or 27. There are no such thing as "Near" or "Mello". You must be confusing DN with some cheap ripoff show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2008 3:50 AM
Mar 2008
Death Note is quite unique, but it doesn't deservs the rank it has rank. IMO, it is a fact that DN is over-rated, but it deserves a good rank anyway (obviously, under other series like Monster...).
WishySep 30, 2008 6:01 PM
Sep 27, 2008 3:51 AM

Jun 2008
Death Note is a great series. I think its one of the better anime out there. At least better than the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimya and definitely better than One Piece. I liked the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimya but not as well planned out as DN.
Sep 27, 2008 6:28 AM

Apr 2008
Trolling is overated.

Sep 27, 2008 6:32 AM

Aug 2008
It's nice to see that every1 got different opinios.

I vote for "not overrated" !
Sep 28, 2008 11:59 AM
Jun 2008
dacon said:
First 26 episodes deserve 1# place.. in my wrecked opinion. If DN would ended there, I'd score it 10.

My thoughts exactly. It just kinda lost its amazing after L died...Mello and Near just felt like hollow immitations...and it just got overall confusing with the amounts of notes flying around.
Sep 29, 2008 5:34 PM

Aug 2008
Overated? Not exactly. Death Note is possibly the most intelligent and well-crafted manga series to date -and the concept is easily on par with Battle Royale. Tsugumi Ohba is a splendid storyteller.
Sep 30, 2008 2:25 AM

Jun 2007
Cello said:
Overated? Not exactly. Death Note is possibly the most intelligent and well-crafted manga series to date -and the concept is easily on par with Battle Royale. Tsugumi Ohba is a splendid storyteller.

Key word there is Manga series. The anime is utter crap once L died.
Sep 30, 2008 6:09 AM

Mar 2008
Yes - anime
No - manga
imo :P

Sorry for my English ;)
Sep 30, 2008 7:41 PM

Sep 2008
DeathfireD said:

The anime is utter crap once L died.

Unfortunately I must agree on this one. It is really great show, but once L died, it turned into something I really couldn't stand.
Sep 30, 2008 8:40 PM

Jul 2008
A tad. Just a tad.

Corollary: Haruhi not overrated. Haruhi underrated, if anything.

Mod Edit: posts merged. Don't double post. Use the Edit button if you have something to add.

Response to Mod Edit: Don't second-guess me. My actions are infallible.
GulfStandardMay 17, 2009 8:55 PM
Oct 1, 2008 7:39 PM
Mar 2008
I'll say it again, IT IS over-rated, but it is still a great show.
Oct 1, 2008 11:26 PM

Jul 2008
Wishy said:
IMO (in my opinion), it is a fact that DN is over-rated

Let's play a game of "spot the contradiction..."
Oct 6, 2008 2:40 PM

Jun 2007
Nope, I think the anime deserves all the praises it gets. The early Yotsuba section aside, the first half of the manga is excellent, and Madhouse stayed very faithful to what they needed to, only cutting a little pointless chatter. Then, after episode 26, Madhouse did an amazing job of skipping all the boring crap the manga had and kept all the best parts without making the story messy, turning a disappointing second half of the Death Note story into a fast-paced and thrilling ride right to the end.

The only thing Madhouse did wrong was changing the ending slightly to allow Light to run a marathon and die peacefully. I love the manga ending, so I was disappointed to see Madhouse fall at the last hurdle by ruining the last twist of the story - it would've been great if Madhouse had included the last twist and had viewers wondering if Ryuk was going to kill the Kira investigation team. It's really too bad because the first half of episode 37 was high-budget win.

As for the manga, I think it's fair to say that Madhouse painted over the cracks to certain extent, raising Death Note to higher level. As good as the manga is, the second half of the manga story lets it down with the sloooow pace and huge amount of pointless stuff.
Oct 8, 2008 8:31 AM

Jul 2008
Overrated? No. For the this kind of Anime, this is great.
Oct 13, 2008 6:42 AM
Mar 2008
ShaolinRibiero said:
Wishy said:
IMO (in my opinion), it is a fact that DN is over-rated

Let's play a game of "spot the contradiction..."

Ok, I'll reformulate:

In my opinion, it is a fact that blah blah blah.

I'm saying that I THINK that it is a fact, troll.
Oct 13, 2008 4:08 PM

May 2008
IMO this anime can best be compared to a game of tug-of-war.

its exciting at first going like, oh I think Light's about to win he's got him near the middle line

OHHH noooo L's made a comeback and now he's dragging Light near the middle line

OHH but wait Light is making a comeback

and it just keeps going on and on and on and on for about 25 episodes.

I mean, ok it was exciting at first, but god damn this is dragging on for FAAAAAR too long.

after that the anime doesnt get much better either, not to mention the crappy ending.

Bottom Line: Waaaaaaay overrated.
Oct 13, 2008 4:10 PM

Jul 2008
well overrated
Oct 13, 2008 8:51 PM

Jan 2008
It's definitely NOT overrated!

It has a unique concept - something that's never been done before. It has a great main character, who is very well developed. The Yotsuba arc is definitely the weak point of the series, but it was important from the character development perspective - to show how Light would act if he never found the Death Note. I did not really like the ending, since I was biased, but I have to agree that's how it was supposed to end.

In the end, it's not a perfect series, but no anime is. It definitely deserves to be in the top 10.
Oct 16, 2008 6:52 PM
Apr 2008
I loved Death Note. I don't get how it can possibly be overrated. I actually wish there was more episodes.
Oct 16, 2008 6:55 PM

Sep 2008
Most animes/whatever that are highly rated as Death Note are most likey overrated. But DN is different. I can honestly say it deserves all the attention it deserves. It's that good.
Oct 16, 2008 8:57 PM

Jul 2008
Wishy said:

Ok, I'll reformulate:

In my opinion, it is a fact that blah blah blah.

That's every bit as moronic as your first statement. A fact is indisputable evidence, such as "Death Note consists of 37 episodes". An opinion is a subjective personal view, such as "I think Death Note sucks, but I'm too stupid to formulate any reasons why!"

Instead of further proving your lack of basic English and logic, do yourself a favor and go to dictionary.com to look up the relevant words;

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fact

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion
Oct 28, 2008 12:06 PM

Mar 2008
Dima said:
IMO the mafia arc was really boring and Near & mello aren't by far such a good oponent like L. The end was also really bad. I mean DN was a really original anime, but the end is standard.
Thats a big part which isn't good at all.

I know exactly what you mean. The first half was ridiculously clever and brilliant and the second half just paled in comparison
In short... the ending could have been much better than it was and that's why I could never give it a perfect 10. The first half, hell yes, 10. The second? 8 at most. "=_= Brilliant as it is, I don't think it quite deserve to be hailed as the best anime ever
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

394 by pakinho »»
May 6, 7:16 AM

» Imagine a world without Death Note

ZeroMajor12 - May 6

0 by ZeroMajor12 »»
May 6, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

128 by puffle9000 »»
May 3, 1:05 AM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

28 by Bunnix21 »»
Apr 30, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 21, 2007

121 by misterskinny »»
Apr 27, 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.