Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 13, 2008 1:47 PM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ok...

Very good... Extremely bleak, reminds me of Battle Royale in its attitudes to the Japanese public.

So Kei can hear people's thoughts and see through girls' clothing? I wasn't sure about that kind of setup (sounded a bit Ecchi/H)... But I was proven wrong by it being good :) Characters are interesting, plot is intriguing, all good!

Sep 19, 2008 10:59 AM
May 2008
was very good!

The black ball thing is weiiiiiiiiird!
Dec 29, 2008 4:55 PM

Aug 2008
How they got hit by the train doesn't make any sense...why wouldn't those people help them up onto the platform! I don't think I want to go to Japan if people stand there and want to see you get hit by a train :O...but awesome episode! :)
Jan 5, 2009 8:55 PM

Jul 2008
It's the worst thing I've ever seen.. it's ridiculously bad. What a waste of time.
Jan 14, 2009 10:12 PM
May 2008
It was really cool. I liked how we heard the thoughts of all the random people in the first episode. I think this anime is aimed to make us cynical about humanity. It makes us think almost everyone is a horrible, greedy person, and those who aren't are whiny bitches. Still it's very interesting, and very weird.

If a train was coming, I wouldn't try and outrun it. It looked like they had enough time to try and climb up the wall. What a stupid way to die...idiots...
Mar 8, 2009 10:50 PM

Mar 2008
This was... weird. o.o

Also, the animation style is also awkward.. it will require getting used to.

But it was still good... somewhat. ^_^
Mar 16, 2009 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
It didn’t interest me at all. In fact, I thought the series was going in all the wrong directions in terms of characters and overall theme. Kei might perhaps be the worst main character ever to have come into existence. He brings a whole new definition to the term wimp. Everyone is so stereotypical. It’s hard to believe something like this was created in 2004, because the animation is absolutely terrible. What’s up with the girl with two different skin colors in the opening sequence? Her head is a dark tan, similar to that of Gidget from Eureka Seven, and from her torso down is shaded in a typical peach color. Despite having ragged on it as much as I have, I am going to continue watching it. Since I already forked over $45 for it, I might as well watch the whole thing.
Apr 9, 2009 6:17 AM

Apr 2009
wuuuut! this was cool! damn iLike da scenario so far, da animation is kinda wierd thou (sorta looks like 2D drawings in a 3D world at beginning) but iEnjoyed it.. can't wait to see more..
Sep 24, 2009 2:26 AM
Sep 2009
Yeah, it was an interesting first episode. Made me watch the entire series and read the manga.

However, three questions:
1. The already mentioned girl with two skin colors. Wtf?
2. How on earth did they get decapitated from being hit by a train?
3. Why did their dead bodies disappear? Didn't happen to anyone else.
Mar 5, 2010 4:02 PM
Feb 2010
Well then... I'm at a loss for words. I'm not too fond of it, but I'll watch another ep or so to see how it goes. Not expecting much though.

Too much cussing and too much nudity. I don't mind either, but it seems that it's just over the top. For example, the old lady asks him if this is the right station and all he thinks is 'Fuck off you old hag'.
Apr 4, 2010 5:30 AM

Oct 2008
This episode just made me go wtf. It's pretty weird. :S
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 4, 2010 11:21 PM
Mar 2010
Nice episode.Not many people may like it because it's targeting specific audience. I hope the series would be nice too
Apr 5, 2010 3:14 PM

Aug 2008
xXDaijinkazeXx said:
wuuuut! this was cool! damn iLike da scenario so far, da animation is kinda wierd thou (sorta looks like 2D drawings in a 3D world at beginning) but iEnjoyed it.. can't wait to see more..
Hero.

I liked the feel of it. The animation took a wee bit o' getting used to but I like it. Watched it with some friends and we were giggling. The whole train station scene took what felt like forever. Good build up though.
May 20, 2010 5:31 AM

Nov 2009
That ball has weird taste in music.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
May 26, 2010 9:15 PM

Apr 2010
is this nice anime??... w3w..
May 26, 2010 9:16 PM

Apr 2010
k i will watch this anime next week.. w3w.
Jun 19, 2010 7:44 AM
Jun 2008
kalapuikko said:
However, three questions:
1. The already mentioned girl with two skin colors. Wtf?

I think she was a ganguro girl - it's a fashion in Japan, which involves excess fake tan and bleach blonde hair.

Here's a pic of one:

I don't know what to think of this, I hated it until about midway and then the girl appeared and I hated it again. I've never seen so many bad characters literally all together in one anime. Hopefully it'll get better next ep.
Jul 17, 2010 7:39 PM

Mar 2009
I liked the part where Kei and the other guy's heads flew off.
Aug 5, 2010 8:20 PM
Apr 2010
lol interesting first episode
Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 10, 2010 2:10 PM

Sep 2009
Interesting opening.
Looks good
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Apr 17, 2011 8:49 AM

Jul 2009
Yeah, stereotypical people. It's rare that someone would help the bum.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Jun 10, 2011 7:48 PM

Sep 2009
Jesus christ.
I didn't think the manga could get any more cynical.
The anime adaption did it.
-gonk-
Sep 26, 2011 1:20 PM

Oct 2010
wow, a very interesting and unusual first episode, i think this is the first time i heard a OP that was Drum and bass/ Jungle, i like it alot!
Nov 7, 2011 12:18 PM

Nov 2007
People are terrible in this universe!! jesus christ, nobody even thinks to save the old geezer or the 2 protagonists...
Oct 24, 2012 5:13 AM

May 2012
Interesting first episode, the whole story behind it seems quite interesting, the deaths and the directly ecchi content with the rape put in to it seems all put together quite nicely! So yea lets see what this Anime can offer us in 2 seasons!
Feb 10, 2013 5:02 AM

Jan 2012
Wow, that was really brutal and interesting.

Mar 23, 2013 12:16 AM

Jan 2013
Scribbly said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ok...

Very good... Extremely bleak, reminds me of Battle Royale in its attitudes to the Japanese public.

So Kei can hear people's thoughts and see through girls' clothing? I wasn't sure about that kind of setup (sounded a bit Ecchi/H)... But I was proven wrong by it being good :) Characters are interesting, plot is intriguing, all good!

lol kei can't hear people's thoughts, it was more like the audience/viewer hearing everyone's point of view, he can't see through women's clothes, more like he was just fantasizing.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Mar 23, 2013 12:16 AM

Jan 2013
Idk i thought it had some funny moments.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 25, 2013 2:55 PM

Dec 2012
horrible.
Jun 4, 2013 4:12 AM

Jun 2012
Hmm... I just read the manga. And the mange beats this by a mile. I'll still watch it though.
Jun 5, 2013 12:32 PM

Apr 2008
That was a lot for the first ep :P

Interesting though.
And that dog is so damn naughty xD
FluffyDangoJun 5, 2013 4:10 PM

Oct 18, 2013 2:40 AM

Jun 2011
The animation, especially the part with their heads flying off, was pretty weird.

Why didn't anyone offer their jacket or something to that girl? Meh.
Jun 1, 2014 12:25 AM

Sep 2011
LOL at body pieces flying everywhere when being hit by a train.

Regardless of the over exaggerated train scene, pretty awesome first episode! (though I would be lying if I said I didn't like the train scene) LOL
Jun 7, 2014 12:33 AM

Jun 2009
You know, I always heard that this show is amazing and should be seen by all...

The first episode was pretty bad. No one, except Kato is likable.
Too much talking, too much CGI, weird animation...
:/
Jul 7, 2014 12:03 PM

Feb 2011
nice song at op aND WTF THAT RAPE WASNT NECESSARY
Jul 29, 2014 4:56 PM

Mar 2012
That song in the end was epic in all the drama that was happening xD
Jul 31, 2014 7:53 AM

Aug 2012
I know this adaptation has a bad reputation, but it seems good so far. I'll see.
I liked hearing the thoughts of random people. In some aspects the adaptation is even better than the manga.
Reading some of the comments I think of Nishi - "damn hypocrites". Kei is an asshole and so is the society. That's the point.
Nov 12, 2014 3:49 AM

Jun 2011
Lmao when the song just came out of nowhere at the end when Katou was choking the other dude.

Heard the anime is bad and the manga is good. Well, so far the anime is pretty bad, especially the camera works and the art, it looked flat. But eh, the nude looks good, it's been a while since I last saw a nude scene in anime.

I hope I won't be hearing the thoughts of the people later on, it's pretty annoying. Seriously, no one would lend a hand for Kei and Katou? Seriously? It wouldn't take much to help. I'd prefer to help for a bit, than witnessing the two's death and suffer from nightmares. Those people are fucked up.

I also wonder why can't they climb back up to the platform, so let's say they can't climb up, but when they were running away from the train I thought "dude just run like that, and then hop back up onto the platform, use the kinetic energy and shit to bring your body up". It's a silly way to die. But eh, I don't really mind, it's not really that important.

Hopefully it gets better.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Jul 2013
ToG25thBaam said:

I also wonder why can't they climb back up to the platform, so let's say they can't climb up, but when they were running away from the train I thought "dude just run like that, and then hop back up onto the platform, use the kinetic energy and shit to bring your body up". It's a silly way to die. But eh, I don't really mind, it's not really that important.

I thought the same.also this anime goes so slow i dont think ill see a fraction of a full story.
Nov 19, 2014 10:22 PM
May 2011
even if we can believe that no one would help them back up why wouldn't they just crawl up themselves?

They were running for what seemed like minutes
Nov 21, 2014 7:18 PM
Nov 2013
It was an obnoxious and hard-to-get-through episode. Katou is the only reason I will give another episode another shot. The main protagonist is just a piece of crap. I cannot stand people with an egocentric view of life. The only reason he helped Katou is because of the pressure and being in the spotlight around the crowd (he isn't the deep thinker he claims to be). Sadly though, many people will sit idly by even if you read this and think you wouldn't, chances are you wouldn't move a muscle. It's a psychological phenomenon.

To the person saying they wouldn't want to visit Japan because of nobody wanting to help someone up from the train tracks. It's not nation-based you will find that kind of behavior anywhere. Don't be so dense.

My hypothesis for the supernatural phenomenon of the afterlife. I think that magical ball brings in a certain number of people in one place. Those people will then have to compete in something. Only one person will be granted a chance for reincarnation. At least that's what came to mind but I think I will be wrong. I also do not believe in an afterlife or reincarnation so I'm just going with what was shown.
Nov 21, 2014 7:26 PM

Jul 2012
Cynic_Focus said:
It was an obnoxious and hard-to-get-through episode. Katou is the only reason I will give another episode another shot. The main protagonist is just a piece of crap. I cannot stand people with an egocentric view of life. The only reason he helped Katou is because of the pressure and being in the spotlight around the crowd (he isn't the deep thinker he claims to be). Sadly though, many people will sit idly by even if you read this and think you wouldn't, chances are you wouldn't move a muscle. It's a psychological phenomenon.

To the person saying they wouldn't want to visit Japan because of nobody wanting to help someone up from the train tracks. It's not nation-based you will find that kind of behavior anywhere. Don't be so dense.

My hypothesis for the supernatural phenomenon of the afterlife. I think that magical ball brings in a certain number of people in one place. Those people will then have to compete in something. Only one person will be granted a chance for reincarnation. At least that's what came to mind but I think I will be wrong. I also do not believe in an afterlife or reincarnation so I'm just going with what was shown.

If you're truly interested in this, don't ruin the experience with the anime and go straight to the manga. Kei is actually a great character with wonderful development, while Katou is just a generic white knight.
Mar 12, 2015 5:36 AM

Jul 2007
Can't believe how crappy this famous anime is. Lol, once again fooled by otakus to watch crap :D
Nov 30, 2015 1:56 AM
Jul 2015
this animation royally sucks...and the excess nudity and the rape was so unnecessary. I could tell in the first scene when his boner was announced this would be shit.
Jan 29, 2016 10:10 AM

Aug 2013
That was the worst/slowest rescue I've ever seen.
garydaiJan 29, 2016 10:15 AM
Jan 31, 2016 2:18 AM

Sep 2012
This was awesome. Can't wait to see the next episode.
Nov 1, 2016 10:16 AM

Mar 2016
So,i've read some chapters of gantz,and i totally am hating this animation (maybe my opinion will change but idk). The animation quality seems low and i hated the way the camera kept moving.

Well, i hope it gets better.
Jul 27, 2017 10:19 PM

Dec 2015
I love dark, gory anime, so this looks perfect. I've read a few of the manga, and it seems to translate well onto the screen.
Aug 6, 2017 9:54 PM

Mar 2016
for a 2004 anime the animation kinda sucks lol
dang the poeple in this world sucks balls...the mc?ohh man fukin loser
i can feel the ntruhuhuhuhu
the protag is a fkin wanker doe ..i want to punch him soo bad lol

allnall not bad welll it got me hooked!
Bruneian
Here
Feel
Free
To
Add
Mehh
You
Fkin
Scrub
Aug 20, 2017 9:09 PM

Dec 2016
Having pretty much binge read half the manga in a week, decided to watch the anime for shits and giggles, and I now know the fun of having read a manga, then seeing it in anime form. Shit is incredible!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gantz Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Oct 5, 2008

69 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:44 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 12 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 5, 2008

43 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 11 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 4, 2008

49 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:27 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 10 Discussion

B25Mitch - Sep 27, 2008

37 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 9 Discussion

B25Mitch - Sep 26, 2008

38 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.