Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2008 7:07 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
i thought the answer when she said you can only save "ONE" ..which do you choose?.. i thought the answer would be one.. kinda like a trick question.. but i guess not
Jan 4, 2009 5:21 PM

Dec 2008
when i heard the question... no matter how long and hard i tryied to guess (i even paused my player) i still couldnt guess the unswer... i guess i was like gon... in some way... but what hard question .....
Aug 7, 2009 11:58 AM

Mar 2008
The answer would depend on the situation. But if you can only save one person, usually you don't have to chose, unless the problem is a psychotic murderer. Still, it's better to save just one than let them both die, although it will obviously lead to a lot of hate.

Still, it's an interesting, although not particularly trying, mind game.
Nov 7, 2009 2:15 PM
Apr 2008
To me that was the best episode so far.
Nov 16, 2009 2:35 AM

Oct 2009
That quiz was so stupid. So basically they are filtering out anyone with a brain. Anyone stupid enough to not have an answer can pass. Pretty retarded if you ask me, but whatever. At least Gom is starting to become cool.
Dec 2, 2009 9:32 PM

Oct 2008
Leorio is quite annoying..
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jan 2, 2010 12:58 PM

Apr 2009
Anitnelav said:
Leorio is quite annoying..

That's true, but remember how many times he saved Gon from trouble.=] He's a good guy, but sometimes just too emotional.
Jun 8, 2010 12:12 PM
Jun 2010
Best ep so far by far... I agree Leorio was kinda annoying, and the quiz was a bit lame, but it really was interesting.

@Arcanus They never said anything about such an event ever occuring, and I guess in anime there's alot of choices like going one way to save someone, or another to save someone else.

@Annihilation500 I think you're quite mistaken. Someone who is very stupid would probably try and guess in panic, while a calm person might just keep quiet if no logical answer comes up. You are mistaken.
Aug 6, 2010 8:07 AM

Feb 2010
I would quickly choose one of them. Waiting quietly will just get them both killed. So I also think it wasn't so clever. But then again, they found out the answer is being quite only when they realized that the "clever boy" has fallen into a trap...
Jul 17, 2011 12:16 PM

Jul 2009
I'm fairly sure Leorio failed when he said "Eat this!" unless the time was already over so it didn't count O_o

Makes me wonder how he didn't get kicked off the boat in the first place xD
Jul 28, 2011 4:01 PM

Aug 2008
Uh, I'm no good at these quiz, the answer totally caught me off guard.
Aug 18, 2011 8:17 PM

Jul 2010
that sucks, i choose the same answer as that guy and for the same reason too...
but i think their reasoning is that you shouldn't "decide" to save one, you should have the intention of saving both, but reality is not so kind as to let you have that, i think that's basically the message they were giving
still a good episode

Oct 2, 2011 2:08 PM

Sep 2008
I didn't know the answer before Kurapica said it, but I did realise that all the previous answers were wrong... or, at least, I thought they must be. I didn't think that those dudes at the beginning of the episode could have been right, and the old lady let them through with the same words she gave the guy that got a piggy-back ride from Gon.

Zell182 said:
I'm fairly sure Leorio failed when he said "Eat this!" unless the time was already over so it didn't count O_o

It was within the time frame... but the old lady asked him, "Is that your answer?" and I think Kurapica's interruption to say their answer was basically saying "no [it's not our answer]" or something. XD

Fairly obvious foreshadowing at the end of the episode. A similar situation to the one in the question is one that we can expect to crop up later on...
Dec 16, 2011 7:30 AM

Dec 2011
Feeling: Suspicion, LOL

From the first moment i saw him, i didnt like that Matthew guy. He is suspicious and i hate his eyes. The old lady with two teeth made me remember... one day i saw a real woman like that, it was horrible she looked like a vampire O.O
Gon's taming skills, Leorio's stupidness and Kurapika's intelligence are a good trio. The rhino incident made me LOL
And when Matthew was gone i thought yay yay :D

Overall: Great episode, tho the quiz was a little dumb in my opinion
Jan 14, 2012 12:17 PM

Oct 2011
i watching this on requst of sombody i know......its acualy good for a "kiddy anime".im just hoping it gets a litle more in to action/fight scenes
Jul 23, 2012 11:51 AM

Feb 2009
Pretty interesting episode, even if these question themes are overdone in many shounens. HxH did it quite nicely though.
Nov 25, 2012 9:00 PM

Aug 2012
that lady reminded me of kaede from inuyasha
Dec 18, 2012 2:22 PM
Dec 2012
I hope that I will never need to answer this question in my life ;x
Mar 6, 2013 12:21 AM

Jan 2012
That was some quiz grandma gave them lol. Atleast Matthew is gone for good, I hated his guts.

Sep 16, 2014 4:30 AM

Jan 2014
Koshiiko said:
I hope that I will never need to answer this question in my life ;x
Yeah..
And btw I think Leorio is pretty funny..xD I kinda like him
Dec 8, 2014 3:02 AM

Apr 2014
Def. the best episode so far. It was almost identical in content to the 2011 version, tho. Don't screw with Togashi's puzzles, I guess. xD
Oct 31, 2016 2:19 AM

Feb 2016
The world would be a very boring place if it was only populated by uptight Kurapikas and boundlessly optimistic Gons.

I happen to like Leorio and his answer is in fact very mature, it's just that his
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
May 31, 2017 6:35 PM

May 2012
Nice episode, quite liked the whole quiz!
Oct 28, 2017 2:25 AM

Mar 2016
Those masked 'girls' are pretty creepy, especially if anyone saw them at night.
Oct 25, 2018 6:05 AM

Apr 2013
Hm the protagonists are pretty boring so far. The show is not bad, but also not exciting.
Jan 7, 2019 9:14 AM

Jul 2015
Another solid episode where people keeps getting tricked into traps, only the best can deal with all the problems.

The quiz part is quite interesting, there really is no answer, but the situation might happen someday where one will have to take that decision, Gon does well still thinking about it.
Dec 28, 2019 3:17 AM
Sep 2019
This episode was nice, though, no matter how much I tried to think of the corect answer, I still couldn't get it. I feel like Gon is going to be that more naive character, Kurapika the smart and thoughtful one and Leorio that character that acts without thinking too much.
Jan 29, 2020 10:58 AM
Apr 2016
This spoke so much about Leorio, he's such a nice guy!
May 26, 2020 11:05 PM
Jul 2018
An average guy notices the group is confused and says, “if you are heading for Zaban city, there’s a direct bus. The bus stop is right over there.”

To which Leorio hastily asks, “Who are you?”

What the fuck though. 😂 What kind of interaction is that??? Is that honestly how they chose to introduce Matthew? I don’t think that’s how normal people respond to someone who overheard their conversation and gives them directions.

He doesn't react with a “thanks” or an “okay” or a "nod" ... but with a “wHo ArE yOu”? As if Matthew's answer, no matter what it was, influence Leorio in any way.

☙❧☙❧☙❧☙❧☙❧☙❧☙❧☙❧☙❧☙❧

Another thing. All the high-pitched people with the masks on were kind of pointless, if not completely pointless. Sure, they added a sense of confusion and eerieness but other than that, they contributed nothing. The scene wouldn’t have been any different without them. I mean… I guess there’s one other thing... they give the applicant the sense that they are not allowed to pass by crowding in front of them … then diverging to create an opening. I guess they can act as a wall if they need to? Or maybe help defend the granny if an applicant lashes out at her?

The only other thing I’m wondering, though, is… the three guys that were shown prior to Gon & Friend’s arrival weren’t even given a question. The granny didn’t even speak to them or give them the rules.

This all seemed a bit random, and I don’t think it was intentional.

And one, ONE other thing. There’s probably a lot of insanely strong people applying for the Hunter position. What if the granny “let someone go on ahead” (someone who didn’t pass her “quiz”) but they were nevertheless able to fend off any danger beats and make it to the cedar successfully?

I think the Hunter Application Test is kinda f-ed up. Like when the Captain only let Gon and the other two pass because he “felt like it”. I’m sure there was a certain criteria the three met, but it feels like everything is too open-ended.
removed-userMay 26, 2020 11:08 PM
Jul 30, 2020 8:30 PM

Feb 2015
Well, we know that the guy wasn’t gonna endure. The test was funny. Doki doki.
Jan 13, 2023 4:04 AM

Jul 2017
i really liked the quiz, it makes you think outside the box
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Dec 9, 2023 4:36 PM
Dec 2023
I don't like how they switched up the story

More topics from this board

Poll: » Better Version of HXH?

PushedCaraway - Oct 26, 2022

24 by Ex-Aid »»
Apr 20, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 62 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Sep 13, 2008

55 by Kyurima »»
Apr 12, 5:40 AM

» Am I the only one who has a problem with...

removed-user - Dec 2, 2022

8 by Berry-Vodka »»
Feb 16, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 54 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

19 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 53 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

17 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.