Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 14, 2013 2:05 PM

Apr 2013
Haven't seen this much bloody massacre since Hellsing Ultimate. I rarely watch this type of anime but its good once in a while. But in the first episode and in 5 minutes that was over the top. Also didn't expect this much nudity.

Things like that where common, back then when this anime was produced i guess.
But still, i hope there will be some explanation to this in the next episodes.
Jun 1, 2013 8:45 PM

Sep 2011
Fleance said:
I was expecting a bit gorier but I think the psycho-head-ripping stuff introduced the character nicely.

And as for nudity, it was tasteful and showed her ignorance. A lot of countries show more nudity than that, it's funny how people are so shocked by it sometimes.

WTF?
Jul 28, 2013 9:23 AM
May 2013
I'm okay with blood ,but I don't like gore , I don't know how did I convinced myself to watch this because I've always avoided to watch this because gore, also I wonder if I'm going to finish this anime in few days or in 1 year.

I can say this was quite interesting but the first 10 minutes were quite weird because of all those flying heads and hands. Also I wonder why Lucy didn't kill that guy and killed that unlucky girl, and if that head shot changed her personality...
Aug 6, 2013 6:45 AM

Jul 2013
I was smiling throughout that opening scene.
How can you find it disturbing? It's so badass.
Aug 23, 2013 4:57 PM

Apr 2013
Idk why some ppl keep on whining about this show and term it as "perverted" or too intense but man i gotcha say that it is the most freaking awesome badass anime i have evr seen the first 10 mins was awesssooooommeee!!.It is an perfect example what an psychological horror should be..loved the part when she cuts away through her barrier...with those f**king morons keeping their guard off...beat it!! damnn i hope i can see some more actions like this on the next episodes X)
xiDeliriouSxAug 29, 2013 4:17 PM
Sep 12, 2013 9:05 AM

Jun 2011
I don't know about people liking the first 10 minutes, for me it moves so slow. It was shown Lucy walking for like.. few minutes lulz. I mean, there was this one scene shown that she was walking out of the lab that contained her, just-so-slow.

As for the nudity, I have no problem with it, it's been so long since I've seen anime without any restrain on the nudity, it was like.. "man so nostalgic". But seriously, it is not needed. For the guy who said,
chode said:

I don't even think the nudity is gratuitous or anything, it's just showing that Lucy/Nyu has no understanding of cultural norms. It's not like she spends the entire anime naked.

It's ridiculous to say that, dude lulz, the guy from the labs can put clothes on her. Don't give me something like "No one can get near to her because she's dangerous", because if that's so, how did they confine her?

As for the gore, though it surprised me at first, for the same reason as above, it's been so long since I've seen anime without any restrain like that. Still, it wasn't done well, I don't get scare or anything, I feel nothing from the gore, meh.

All in all it wasn't bad, but nothing special, not to mention there is no plot, at least not yet. Gonna be putting this on hold for now, not all that hyped up for this.

P.S. I hope Lucy kills/tortures that son of bitch, the violent dude that slapped/hit a woman just because she stood behind him, dafuq?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 7, 2014 3:49 AM

Dec 2012
This series has been collecting dust for a long time on my list as one of those "everyone's watched it but I won't" kind of series, but it's about time I set this ride in motion.

That introduction was really something else, I knew people said this series was bloody but damn some scenes I was clutching my own neck like "ow please don't!" That really surprised me when the secretary was killed, thought she was going to be one of those supporting characters that played a role in the series. This series has piqued my interest and a captivating first episode.

And yes, Bandos (pardon the reference) is a war mongering ass.
Feb 1, 2014 11:35 PM

Oct 2013
strange show
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 1, 2014 11:37 PM

Jan 2014
Bheaze said:
strange show
true but it is good. i really liked this episode it has lots of blood and gore really nice but yeah it is a special show.
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Feb 22, 2014 1:28 AM

Nov 2012
Wae said:

Pretty much my reaction to the 1st episode.

This'll be fun.
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever."
"Anon is legitimately retarded so you shouldn't be too proud of yourself." -Enema
Mar 2, 2014 8:33 AM
Feb 2014
xKyo said:
I watched this episode yesterday, which was about 8 pm. I watched Another and Mirai Nikki before and loved them, and I thought it means I probably love horror. I knew Elfen Lied is something by far more insane and violent than the other two animes, and I thought it's going to scare me. Heck, I've always been a pussy when it comes to horror stuff until I tried Mirai Nikki, but this didn't scare me in any way, I found that bloody mess to be quite ridiculous.

Initially I started to watch this because I loved the soundtrack and that one melody I always heard, I don't know how it's named, but also because I heard it's really sad which that melody confirmed. I always loved sad and depressing animes like anything made by Key or something like Code Geass. Elfen Lied seems to be hated by a lot of people, and for some reason, idk why, I enjoyed every hated anime a whole lot, except Black Rock Shooter and Mars of Destruction. And since I don't like it when boobs are constantly shown, I really hoped this won't be the case here.

If you read this comment and watched the first episode (I assume so), you'll know that this is one reason why I'm a little bit disappointed. The senseless ecchi scenes and gore made it really seem ridiculous. It seems like an anime that has potential which was wasted. I'm going to watch episode 2 now and hope it gets better, but for this episode my vote goes to 2 out of 5: Disliked it. I'm probably going to comment episode 2 as well once I finished watching it.

This is exactly what I wanted to post. But I doubt I will be watching episode 2
Mar 10, 2014 12:26 AM

Jan 2014
Very special story, one you cannot see quite often. Probably the reason this one's so popular here on MAL. Really loved the first episode and I'm looking forward to watching the next ones. My respect to the producers and my highest recommendation.

And the theme song's just amazing. Latin, wow!
FeSTiNaLeNTeMar 10, 2014 12:52 AM
Apr 12, 2014 2:37 AM

Aug 2013
So much blood, whoooooa
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

"There is something in this world that no one has ever seen before. It is gentle and sweet. Maybe if it could be seen, everyone would fight over it. That is why the world hid it, so that no one could get their hands on it so easily. However, someday, someone will find it. The person who deserves it the most will definitely find it. "
— Aisaka Taiga and Takasu Ryuuji
Apr 14, 2014 6:45 AM
Jan 2014
Just re-watched this episode for like the fourth time. This is the only episode worth watching really. This show is overrated because on the surface its awesome. If you look at its foundation, its a bit of a dribble...
May 22, 2014 2:48 PM

Feb 2012
Elfen Lied Episode 01

I just finished this episode and I really have to say: DAMN! That Girl O_O she took all those men out just in 5 minutes like 23 I suppose they said. I heard this series is going to be gory, but I didn't expect it to be like in first episode.

Nyuu is cute and her bad side Lucy seems to be enjoying hurting others and giving pain. So does girl has now amnesia for remembering what happened and that skull mask with fangs now is gone also. So Lucy isn't human well, why she were in lab and what they were try to accomplish would be big question here. So she can destroy mankind, kind of possible, telekinesis powers and that sword?

Bando seems really bad-ass character, kind of hate him at this point, let's see how it turns out. He just mocked that woman. And he seems also little scary and terrifying. Kouta and his cousin seems like really nice. I understand why Kouta shouted Nyuu. Of course it were important for him and his sister gave it to shell to him, that's like bond broken. I wonder what ilness sister had.

I hope they find Nyuu though, but we will see that.
Jul 29, 2014 4:26 PM
Jun 2013
So much unnecessary nudity. Well, I don't really mind that.

I felt like watching something a bit different so I decided to watch Elfen Lied. At this point it's hard to say if that was a good idea or not. At least it's different I guess. The first part was pretty gross. Excessive violence doesn't really have a huge effect on me but that doesn't mean that I enjoy it. Also the guards were pretty incompetent.

Then it got weird. Suddenly they turned the killing machine chink that is Lucy/Nyu into a kawaii moe butt. Was I supposed to find her cute? I don't know. I guess I'd usually find a character like that cute (Chii from Chobits) but it's hard to find someone cute after they just killed a couple dozen guys. Also, she looks a bit creepy. But at this rate I might actually end up liking her. At some point. Maybe.

But yeah, didn't really like this episode but I'm going to keep watching because it's interesting enough and I guess I was the one who wanted something different.
Aug 14, 2014 11:14 PM

Sep 2013
This is like Chobits but with gore.

It seems everyone here dies from either getting cut in half or decapitation.

Am I the only person here who found it funny how they introduced that Kisaragi girl and after a few minutes she gets decapitated?

There's also a lot of nudity but not really enough to give me boner.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 15, 2014 4:07 PM

Sep 2013
Who the hell hired that guy? What an incompetent HR department.
Same thing with Kisaragi, how did that retard end up getting placed into this facility?
Aug 15, 2014 4:09 PM

May 2013
Jesus christ.

edgy/10
Sep 28, 2014 5:00 PM

Oct 2013
Ahhh, watching this for the first time since I first watched it back in 2007; oh, the nostalgia. As anticipated, it didn't have the effect on me it had way back when I was an impressionable 14 year old and never saw anything like this, but the first 9 minutes were still pretty heavy even now. The rest of the episode was so-so.

For years I called Elfen Lied my favorite anime because I didn't watch anime. I'm simultaneously excited and nervous to see how it'll hold up now that I've been far more exposed to the medium.

As for the nudity, I never did and still don't consider it "ecchi." "Ecchi" has sexual implications, and I always found the nudity in Elfen Lied to be much more artistic and not remotely sexual.

Lilium is still one of the most hauntingly beautiful openings I ever heard. There's few openings that capture the essence of an anime as well as Lilium does.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 30, 2014 6:50 PM

Jul 2012
gorefest wowow...to the point where i kind of got bored in the beginning :

its okay so far
i kind of hate lucy but yeah
Nov 25, 2014 2:41 PM

Jun 2014
2muchnudity4me

Then the gore woke me up, then omg too much nudity.

I wish there was a censored version that blocked the nudity.

Dec 24, 2014 9:05 PM

Jul 2014
I was hesitant about watching this at first because I thought the gore and stuff would be too much but it's actually not that bad.
Jan 2, 2015 12:37 PM

Jun 2012
Damn she's cute :o Super good first episode!
What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power and people who flatter them hide in safe places and extol war, force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, then send them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war with the Empire, mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites? - Yang Wenli
Feb 13, 2015 9:31 AM

Apr 2014
Heavy at the start, did get a bit boring imo but should set up for next ep?
May 18, 2015 12:26 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Just loved the first 5 min of this anime. I just LOVE blood and deaths and *in love*
can t wait for the next ep

Jun 8, 2015 5:35 AM

May 2014
I'm not sure yet if it's good or bad. I guess I have no choice but to continue with the next episode.
Jun 17, 2015 10:41 AM

Apr 2013
Soooo the infamous first episode of Elfen Lied, a show known for its gore and nudity. I watched the first 10 minutens years ago and thought it was the most disturbing thing ever. But now 10 years later shows like Hellsing Ultimate and Shingeki no Kyojin showed me something similar so I'm not that shocked. So far I like it, next episode looks way better though.
Jun 29, 2015 3:08 AM

Apr 2015
Good, the first few minutes aren't censored! :D

I just sat here and laughed at the number of people being killed one after another! XD

Does that make me a heartless person..? ._.

I absolutely LOVE the opening when I first listened to it! It's so haunting and beautiful at the same time! I just skipped the ending, though.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Jul 2, 2015 1:36 PM

Dec 2014
Is it just me, or the pace is a bit slow (Lucy walking in slo-mo for several minutes at the beginning, I managed to buy groceries, prepare the lunch and eat it while she managed to exist the room where she broke her chains), characters are a bit daft, their speed of analyzing and processing the info in their heads is at caveman level, and so far it seems it's just a cliche with blood, gore and sociopath psychos (e.g. that special ops dude - master skills at shooting, but mental capacity of an toddler when it comes to everything else). But it's only the first episode, let's see what the rest offer.
Jul 6, 2015 3:55 PM

May 2015
I must say I was absolutely terrified while watching the whole episode. It's just playing all over on the emotions of the viewer like it was nothing -- pure, vicious Japanese adult cinema.

Also, I've got absolutely no expectations or thoughts what will the next 12 episodes be about, so needless to say, it's been a long time since I was hyped for watching an anime as much as I'm now.

Whoever composed the intro song is a pure genius.
Nov 10, 2015 5:05 AM

Jun 2015
Well, that was fun! At least first 5 minutes were like this, the rest not so much ergo I'm not sure if it's worth it. It sure got my attention, but... I don't know.

Plus I don't really like the art, or even more precisely - I don't like it at all.
Nov 10, 2015 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
Well, one thing I'd like to say is that I'm glad I waited so long to watch this because it would have given me nightmares 3 years ago.

It really was senseless killing, but I'm that kind of guy that connects those events to the important info in the story. I'm a really story-oriented guy so yeah.

In sum, I can see why it's so popular because of the possibilities the show can present after the first episode.

RevolverSnake said:
edgy/10
Nov 20, 2015 12:27 PM

Aug 2015
Da fuck did i watched.
The opening was damn creepy, am i the only one who thinks that?
The second half of this episode was interesting though!
Nov 22, 2015 1:19 PM

Jun 2015
pretty interesting but too much nudity this can cause me huge problems if anyone ever to see it
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 15, 2015 7:29 AM

Dec 2015
You know I was told that Elfin Lied was a masterpiece. Now after seeing the first episode I felt as if half the art had more to be desired, examples you ask.

Jan 11, 2016 8:14 AM

Feb 2014
Wow, watching this after Shugo Chara Doki sure is a complete 180

The beginning was pretty disturbing, but I'm gonna keep watching this. I really liked the setting and the music, and Lucy seems like an interesting character. At the moment it seems to me that she jusst wants to be loved and accepted. After listening to Yuka's explanation of why Lucy broke Kohta's shell, I can understand Lucy's thought process.
Noodle070Jan 11, 2016 8:22 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2016 10:53 AM

Aug 2014
Too much gore to the point of complete stupidity .
Bad Episode .
Feb 2, 2016 4:21 PM

Jul 2014
Is this supposed to be taken seriously, or is it satire? Seriously, the amount of gore is just ridiculous, to the point where it gets boring after the first minute.

Also, the part where she pisses herself... smh.

1/5
Apr 22, 2016 7:39 PM
Jul 2018
It may be because I don't watch many horror movies, but goddamn the first half of this episode had me on edge... The gore was over the top, but I've seen worse (Berserk manga anyone?)
What really terrified me was the music, atmosphere, and dread as this naked monster walks through a dark alleyway and tears men, fearing for their lives, to shreds.
And when she ripped the head off of that poor woman and shielded herself with the woman's headless body... O__O

Perhaps I'm just an edgy guy with edgy tastes, but... this episode has me hooked. I'm gonna watch another episode right now.
This anime knows how to get an audience engaged.

Isumers said:
Geez, If I want that much nudity I'd watch a Hentai :| I still liked it regardless.

Nipples do not equal hentai. Lmao
If you can't handle bare breasts, then hentai would be too intense for you.

lustinNthrustin said:

It was badass due to its disturbing nature. I agree, it's awesome.
removed-userApr 22, 2016 7:46 PM
Apr 24, 2016 11:42 AM

Jan 2016
One of the goriest start to an anime... dang son
May 25, 2016 7:38 AM

Jun 2015
I liked the pilot. Lots of gore and boobs = something that male brain likes to see. But apart from that, I liked the scenes with that guy and cousin taking care of Lucy. Yep, I think I might like this.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Jun 3, 2016 6:31 PM

May 2016
I really liked the episode! Freaky how Lucy went from crazy to adorable lol. I was hooked in the first five minutes. Can't wait to see more!
Jun 8, 2016 10:33 PM

Mar 2016
well that was kinda boring.....
Bruneian
Here
Feel
Free
To
Add
Mehh
You
Fkin
Scrub
Jul 26, 2016 9:23 AM

Mar 2016
I'm psyched.
I loved the OP,and the "gore" on the beginning.
But what's with that piss scene,that was so unnecessary.
Jul 29, 2016 5:27 PM

Jun 2008
Goodness.

I have heard from multiple people about how this anime is gory and has too much nudity but i quite enjoyed this episode. I don't mind the nudity because that is how our bodies are so i'm not grossed out by it. I love how there isn't any annoying sensors to cover up the gore and blood.

After Lucy doing the killings, i wasn't expecting to be feeling sorry for her towards the end. Like i wanted to hug her and explain to Kouta that she just doesn't know and needs help to understand certain things. I have a feeling this anime is going to start getting emotional and deep so i think i need to mentally prepare myself lol

Overall, enjoyable episode! Can't wait to watch more. I rate this a 8/10, only because the pacing in the beginning was a bit slow but other than that it was great. The opening theme is quite beautiful as well <3

By: Gasara @ DeviantArt.com <3
Aug 16, 2016 9:30 AM

Mar 2015
That poor office woman just trying to carry a cup of coffee :( Her death was really necessary. Like the introduction of the new psychotic villain whose gonna be the antagonist. [Not surprised though that humans are the bad guys]. Love Nyu. So cute.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Sep 8, 2016 5:51 AM

Sep 2016
That story reminded me kyle xy
Oct 5, 2016 11:08 PM

Jun 2016
Gonna say not watching it for the tits, but I'm totally watching it for the tits.
Dec 10, 2016 3:21 PM

Jun 2016
what is that girl looking thing..
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sandgolem - Aug 26, 2007

139 by ssangy »»
Apr 3, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Dec 4, 2007

429 by DigitalCoin »»
Mar 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

111 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

84 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 10:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.