Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 13, 2012 4:55 AM

Feb 2009
Chihaya didn't know where to look xD pretty enjoyable episode, and very interesting observations on the game, as always.
Aug 10, 2012 3:02 PM

Nov 2011
Pretty awesome episode even though Chihaya lost D=.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Feb 18, 2013 5:01 PM

Jul 2009
even though Chihaya lost to Kanai Sakura, she learned alot on why she keep making the same mistakes as well as over thinking things

and wow Kanai has been playing for 35 years O____O

she could definitely be Queen!

also Kanai's VA is also Kanai Mika(Higurashi Series Satoko)

the crew definitely search for the same last name for the VA.

Porky is all fired up!

Kana is lovely as always!

who will win on this battle!!!

this is getting intense!!

can't wait for a time where everyone one of them is strong!!!!!!
May 13, 2013 10:54 PM

Jan 2013
Yup, a good episode as always.
Looks like I was right on there being only a 5% chance of a kiss scene
May 24, 2013 9:01 PM

Jun 2011
Atenias said:
Kana-chan really looked graceful when she picked up that card :D

Ya I fell for her already :)

Edefrem said:
SergioSource said:
Meh... I mean ok Chihaya ain't the best player ever but she was way better than this. It's like they nerfed her only to extend the series
ikr?
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed!

She was better than she is now but that's because she hadn't lost her way back then, and now she has lost her way, and was trying to get back the feeling she had back then, and when she did, she will become stronger than before because her speed increased, she learned new things, and of course her natural talent
ToG25thBaamMay 24, 2013 9:04 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 2, 2013 2:34 PM

May 2012
Oh boy that was quite interesting, even if she lost against that older woman she did managed to learn something, the competition between each other was also quite nice to see! Lets see what happens next!
Jul 13, 2013 11:50 PM

Sep 2009
What's happening to Chibcha? I suddenly hate her in this episode :/
she's always thinking about "speed". this isn't her ><
Aug 18, 2013 8:32 PM
Jan 2013
Chihaya needs to learn to sit back and watch BEFORE she's 6 cards down. She caught up, but not enough. If she'd figured it out 3 cards sooner, she could have made it almost even. If she'd figured it out 4 cards sooner, she probably would have won for sure.

If she can assimilate the strengths of all her teammates, she will be unstoppable.

Good episode. Interesting to see so many try-fail cycles after all the hands-down wins she had early in the season.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Sep 15, 2013 12:24 PM

Sep 2012
Good ep but that LUCKY LUCKY voice was too much to bear.5/10
Nov 9, 2013 8:40 PM

Nov 2011
Nietono said:
Nice episode but: Chihaya is always (or most of the time) winning because of her speed and now she is losing because of that only due to what the old man said? C'mon, srsly? -.-

Thank god i'm not the only one who realised this if anything plot induced stupidity is at an all time high for this part of the anime. If anything if shes being this terrible at the moment why is she an A class player.
Dec 1, 2013 12:00 AM

Jun 2013
It seems as if Ayase learns new things and notices her faults at these tournaments. Nice episode, looking forward to the next.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Jan 9, 2014 5:47 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

New tournament, but for me the sense of déjà vu, it is far. Narrative that gives me different and new sensations again! * _ *
Funny Chihaya's opponent, I could not not love him! : D
This fascinating way of telling, and ever so close to reality too unreal. Problems such as money and not be a person off from reality is always present, I like it!
Plot that leads to a further degree of growth Chihaya and his friends, they always want more! ^ _ ^
The hakama are just beautiful, also the mother of Kana's fun! XD
May 13, 2014 10:47 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Chihaya loses to a mother who has been playing karuta for 35 years. Experience got the best of Chihaya. This episode was more focused on Chihaya improving her karuta.

Taichi vs Nishida and Kana vs Desktomu in the finals.
Chihaya is watching their matches to improve her karuta.

Mar 12, 2015 3:12 PM

Oct 2013
It seems that Chihaya has a lot to learn. I'm looking forward to see her at her best!
Sep 10, 2015 7:00 AM

Mar 2014
Mistakes in a row . Concrete Tactics .
Distinctive plays . Refreshing goals .
Finals to rank up !! Elegance in kimono . The way of wise thoughts .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2015 12:20 AM

Mar 2012
AlexSadist-sama said:
Sakura was kinda annoying somehow.

I think wearing traditional clothes when playing karuta is dumb. The clothes restrict movement.

Maybe it was because she kept saying how lucky she was every freaking time she got a card lol.
Nov 7, 2015 9:07 PM
May 2015
Oe was looking gorgeous in Kimono.
Mar 2, 2016 3:47 PM

Sep 2015
Chihaya's superior hearing and fast reflexes are so beneficial that she was able to breeze through Level D - B easily. Therefore, she never needed to bother with strategy.
Now that she reached the Top Class, suddenly that comes back to bite her, because against the best players her natural abilities are not nearly sufficient.

I think that portrayal is fairly realistic and I don't agree with the "made her worse to prolong the show" comments.

That said, I also found Sakura somewhat annoying. Especially the "lucky" when she clearly knows that she's much better.

I really enjoyed the match between Kana and Desku, so this episode was like half/half for me.
Oct 22, 2016 6:24 AM

Dec 2014
that sakura Mom sure packed a punch... wow unreal how class B and D matches were decided
Apr 22, 2017 9:20 AM

Feb 2013
Chiha lost, but learned how to play without relying only on speed.
All the other four members are fighting each other.
Nov 29, 2017 5:53 PM

Dec 2013
Chihaya definitely needs to rely less on speed.

These are some interesting match ups.
Feb 3, 2018 9:19 PM

May 2015
The first half was really annoying for some reason. I think I'm starting to dislike Chihaya as a character a bit. And oh my, this game is truly boring. It has its own charm, yes, but still boring. Kana-chan in her beautiful kimono was the one to save the whole episode.
Apr 29, 2018 6:28 PM
May 2013
keeetz said:
Even though this is an anime, I feel like I could learn something new for myself.

I've always wanted to move quicker, get better, and reach my goal fast. And just like Chihaya, the speed is what's hindering me.

The way she learned how to move with the syllables of the poem reminds me that I, too, should also flow and learn bit by bit for my dream rather than focusing on hasting the results.

This anime is great. :)

i was thinking the same thing. their philosophy of "one card at a time" could easily be translated into "one day at a time," a reminder to be fully present and focus on the journey instead of rushing to the finish line.
Feb 3, 2019 3:15 PM
Apr 2016
I was expecting a match between friends to happen eventually, and it did! Looking great. Fun episode.
Feb 10, 2019 6:29 PM

Jun 2015
that mom spent 35 years on karuta, you gotta truly love the game to put so many decades forth
Nov 20, 2019 1:39 PM

Oct 2013
Sakura's "LUCKY!" was kawaii. ;D
AdnashNov 20, 2019 1:52 PM
Dec 30, 2019 1:17 AM

Mar 2015
Clearly Chihaya still has plenty to learn!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 30, 2020 10:42 AM

Apr 2016
Ranked matches and Chihaya's already making faults effortlessly. Isn't she supposed to be an A class karuta player? Her constant struggling is really starting to piss me off. And of course, she lost. I guess I should switch gears and start viewing Chihaya differently.

Desktomu is impressive, knowing Oe's habits and all. I respect that.
Apr 25, 2020 6:02 PM

Nov 2011
_Seki_ said:
Ranked matches and Chihaya's already making faults effortlessly. Isn't she supposed to be an A class karuta player? Her constant struggling is really starting to piss me off. And of course, she lost. I guess I should switch gears and start viewing Chihaya differently.

Literally everyone in the tournament is an A class player who won B class tournaments. Being an A class player is the baseline here. Half of the A class players present lose in the first round.

That she managed to get to A class with speed alone is impressive, but it’s hindering her ability to progress against opponents that are on another level.
Apr 26, 2020 10:29 AM
Feb 2016
I found it weird how the show doesn't mention that her speed was learned from Arata. They just seem to brush off such a major play of her which does have strong emotional connection for her. I don't think this will be addressed the way it went this episode.
Apr 26, 2020 10:31 AM
Feb 2016
TripleSRank said:
_Seki_ said:

Literally everyone in the tournament is an A class player who won B class tournaments. Being an A class player is the baseline here. Half of the A class players present lose in the first round.

That she managed to get to A class with speed alone is impressive, but it’s hindering her ability to progress against opponents that are on another level.

That's a bit of an understatement. She has the ability to hear the vowel before it's even uttered from the speakers mouth and not too mention the way her play got better after she picked up the meaning from the game itself from Kana.
Feb 27, 2021 10:47 PM

Aug 2018
Uff the tension in this episode
Jul 13, 2021 8:48 AM

Jul 2015
I can't believe only Retro was watching the match, shame on the rest!
Chihaya learned a lot of valuable information, not only from her opponents but also her team.

Aug 9, 2021 7:06 PM

Jan 2021
I really liked the lady that chihaya faced.
I think her name was…Sakura..???
Anyways Sakura was a bit terrifying but she and her family were cute lol
Jun 5, 2022 6:30 AM

May 2018
So this is the true milf waifuness
Mar 24, 2023 10:00 AM

Jul 2016
Half-expected the lady Chihaya played against to reveal a sinister "true" personality at some point
Dec 4, 2023 5:55 AM

Oct 2022
I hope by the end of S1 Arata will be back to his best and playing like a pro again.

Probably Taichi is going to win this and then meet Arata in the next big tournament maybe. Let's see how it goes.
Feb 9, 11:09 AM

Jan 2009
This is one of my least favorite parts of sports anime where the main character who has been playing for awhile still doesn't understand basics. All to set up some artificial growth and to give the audience some exposition for the game. Idk, still a very enjoyable episode and I still really like the series just wish it went about this a bit differently.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 29, 2011

216 by minnaslay127 »»
Apr 24, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zimno - Oct 11, 2011

180 by saabiK »»
Mar 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Nov 1, 2011

182 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.