Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 13, 2013 6:54 AM

Jul 2012
I said earlier (in the library episode) that this show is meant to have philosophy concepts illustrated, yes you should read more. Anyway it's such a shame to know this show got lower ratings because people couldn't understand it. you just kind of need to ask questions yourself, because when you face philosophy everything you previously knew as certain can be put in doubt. That's why you are all confused but then again I think noone here is older thant what 14
Dec 22, 2013 9:51 AM

Aug 2013
I felt really confused this episode, not really understanding what was going on between the PROXYs. What happened to the mimic proxy?
My Candies:
Mar 2, 2014 9:11 AM
Jun 2013
spacemonkey93 said:
I said earlier (in the library episode) that this show is meant to have philosophy concepts illustrated, yes you should read more. Anyway it's such a shame to know this show got lower ratings because people couldn't understand it. you just kind of need to ask questions yourself, because when you face philosophy everything you previously knew as certain can be put in doubt. That's why you are all confused but then again I think noone here is older thant what 14

No theres no deeper meaning. We got a shape shifting proxy who didint want to be alone and couldint accept noone would accept it for what it was then killed everyone.THe whole episode felt like a waste of time with no real pay off. Hell what even happened to the mimic proxy it just leaves.Hell even re-l was still being a bitch at first but at least she kinda turned around in the end.The anime is still intersting but so far there are 2 episodes that felt like a waste and this was one.
Mar 10, 2014 12:53 PM

Jan 2013
Now that was one fucked up episode. Really liked the doppleganger thing and Vincent's realisation is a important step in his character development.
However, it feels the 2nd half has slowed down a bit. Also, these individual episodes are more of developing the characters rather than progressing the plot.
Great episode.
5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 13, 2014 2:12 PM
Jul 2012
Damn, things get fucked up that I don't know what's going on in this episode. Even this show is more confusing than Bakemonogatari.

First was infected in the last next episode, now this is illusion of which characters are real. Very odd stuff right there. 0_o

Starting to like Vincent a little bit. He's kinda badass so far.

5/5 Unique episode!

Lol at the MCQ TV at the very end.
Apr 25, 2014 10:20 PM

Aug 2013
My brain overheated.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 21, 2014 7:42 AM

Oct 2013
WTF,i didn't know what the hell was going on.

Jun 5, 2014 2:43 PM

May 2013
souledge94 said:

No theres no deeper meaning. We got a shape shifting proxy who didint want to be alone and couldint accept noone would accept it for what it was then killed everyone.THe whole episode felt like a waste of time with no real pay off. Hell what even happened to the mimic proxy it just leaves.Hell even re-l was still being a bitch at first but at least she kinda turned around in the end.The anime is still intersting but so far there are 2 episodes that felt like a waste and this was one.

Yes there is a deeper meaning. We don't know for sure if there was another proxy or if it was just an illusion or something, but that's not the main point of the episode. It's not pointless either. Developing main characters never is.

This episode explores Vincent's feelings and raison d'etre, as what the 'mimic' says is actually what Vincent feels as well. Metaphorically, Vincent sees himself reflected on the mimic, as they both have always felt alone and abandoned, but thanks (?) to Re-L Vincent finally realizes that he does have a reason to look forward and continue with his life. The episode also hints what Vincent did to his hometown. I don't want to make this a tl;dr so I'll leave it there (could write more though) but apart from developing characters and showing the way they are, this can also be taken as the director's reflection about existence and life, this anime in general tries to send a message and make the viewer think and question the meaning of existence and life in general (basically, existentialism).

So no, this episode is not pointless at all, if you actually care to give it the attention it requires it's very fulfilling and thought provoking. It's not light to watch, but I find it very rewarding :)
Jun 7, 2014 12:09 PM

Mar 2014
pretty chaotic senario! thats what i expected from EP and thats what I want to see in animes... And btw, the conclusion of EP episodes always helps you improve your inner self!
Dec 27, 2014 4:49 AM

Jun 2013
Just came to say what the hell did I just watch.

Two of each? I'm guessing the proxy is making itself look like the both of them. Very confusing episode.
Jan 9, 2015 11:50 PM

Nov 2013
Boy do I remember this episode. So much mind rape.

Apr 26, 2015 12:53 AM

Sep 2014
Holy shit. Be right back guys, putting back together all the scattered pieces of my brain. Been a while since I last saw something this amazing. Glad I picked up this series.
Jun 17, 2015 3:58 PM

Jan 2015
My brain hurts...
Jul 20, 2015 6:44 AM

Sep 2014
Great episode. Somehow I have the weirdest déjà-vu with this series after this episode. I somehow have the feeling I watched this series before and I definitely haven't. I also see random flashes of scenes in my head that didn't happen in the anime but I feel I have seen them long ago. Wtf is happening...

kie_ said:
this episode was totally unnecessary

No it wasn't. It was very important for the relationship and trust between the characters for their further journey.
Aug 12, 2015 12:54 AM

Jul 2013
Ep 13/14 made me wonder if all Proxies have a 'relationship' with AutoReivs bc they are the only who seems able to stay with them, since AutoReivs are machines acting like they were programmed to act they don't 'judge' the Proxies...

kinda hard to explain since English isn't my first language but I hope yall get my point.

Miragee said:
Great episode. Somehow I have the weirdest déjà-vu with this series after this episode. I somehow have the feeling I watched this series before and I definitely haven't. I also see random flashes of scenes in my head that didn't happen in the anime but I feel I have seen them long ago. Wtf is happening....

Same, but for me it's because I played Chrono Trigger (one of my favorite games) and it's quite similar.
charlerwAug 12, 2015 1:05 AM
Aug 13, 2015 3:09 AM

Aug 2012
That was pretty weird.

Jan 1, 2016 7:40 AM

Aug 2014
Very confusing episode .
Jan 17, 2016 5:08 PM

Jul 2015
Sort of filler-ish episode, but it has to be my favorite one so far. The first half specially was handled really well. Gotta love some good mindfucks from time to time!
Feb 3, 2016 9:32 PM

Aug 2013
Once again.. my brain literally went kaboom.
I guess Vincent manage to raise his affection level with Re-l..?
In the end what was the episode trying to say.
Jul 15, 2016 6:17 AM

Sep 2014
A trippy episode but I like trippy stuff. It's interesting to see where this will go.

lol also,
The afternoon has gently passed me by
The evening spreads its sail against the sky
Waiting for tomorrow
Just another day
God bid yesterday goodbye...
Jul 28, 2016 1:53 AM

Mar 2014
good ep. it shows how vincent rejected himselve that he was not alone anymore
Aug 10, 2016 2:28 AM

Nov 2013
This episode made it clear just how well-researched this show is and dripping in reference it is! Right away when they showed Re-L in the water I thought it looked familiar, and it turns out that it's most certainly a reference to the famous Ophelia painting by John Everett Milliais ("Ophelia" is the name of the episode and the grocery store). And of course that painting was based on the character Ophelia from Shakespeare's Hamlet, and her character is the definition of duality, which is exactly what this episode is about!

Because they first show Re-L in the Ophelia (painting) pose, I thought the episode would focus on just her duality, but it seems to tackle the inner conflicts of both characters, especially how they see each other. We already know Re-L is very conflicted, from the moment she told Iggy that she couldn't even understand her own feelings (more details on this in the next paragraph). Vincent is certainly torn as well between his proxy self and "Vincent Law", and whether he can be allowed to be with Re-L and Pino. In Hamlet, Ophelia is torn between two distinct worlds/decisions and goes mad as a result, which is the feeling I think the writers wanted us to get from this episode (i.e. how people feel mad just watching it!). Also Ophelia drowns from her insanity, which we see quite literally happen to both Re-L and Vincent, though mostly the latter.

I feel like Re-L and Ophelia have another direct relationship besides the painting and the duality aspect in general. Ophelia's conflicts come from choosing between loyalty to her father, as society expects, and her love for Hamlet. To me this feels extremely similar to how Re-L cannot decide if she wants to kill Vincent and bring him back to Romdo, the politically correct thing to do, or be with him. Clever, clever writing, Ergo Proxy staff!

Good thing this episode had a happier ending, unlike Hamlet's Ophelia (for now)
Oct 8, 2016 7:25 AM

Jun 2016
Strange episode..!!!
Barely absorbed a what happened
EG99
Nov 12, 2016 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
There's been an awful lot of repetition in the last few episodes. It worked well in the earlier episodes (such as the one with the memory keeper), but I wasn't so much a fan of this episode.
Nov 17, 2016 8:53 PM

Oct 2012
I think I'm drunk from drinking too much water
Shouldn't watched this while drunk

Preview... Wat?
"Signature removed"
Nov 18, 2016 6:20 AM

Jun 2016
Proxies change their appearance in order to become someone accepted by others... this was interesting. A nice episode.
Dec 17, 2016 11:51 PM

Jan 2013
karineyn said:
Proxies change their appearance in order to become someone accepted by others... this was interesting. A nice episode.

Yeah I loved this episode.
Was kind of confused at the start but the more was shown the more I understood what was going on or what the meaning of this episode was. - (Most of it already explained in previous posts)
Feb 11, 2017 2:14 PM

Jan 2014
I liked this episode better than the bookstore episode. In the bookstore episode it was rather.. plain, and it just revolved around the "self" or "ego" concept. But with this one it involved Re-l as well and revolved around a bigger (and empty) setting of that city. I especially liked the ending where Re-l said she only recognized him because of his reflection, indicating his "self." Was a nice, subtle ending with a deeper meaning.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Mar 28, 2017 4:08 PM
Aug 2014
Lowkey thought Pino's food good lol.
Apr 26, 2017 4:17 AM
Apr 2017
I liked this episode, cause' it reminds me of an episode of Lain, that one where her sister goes crazy. But there you never understand what happened, and here there's enough information. I liked the twist of the Doppelganger concept.

Lp que quería decir, en español:
Me gustó el episodio, porque me recordó a uno de Lain, ese donde la hermana se vuelve loca. Pero ahí nunca entendías que pasaba, y aquí hay suficiente información. Me gustó la vuelta de tuerca del concepto de Doppelganger.
May 16, 2017 2:21 PM

Jun 2013
If you pretend to be someone else, no one will love you for who you really are. Makes sense.

A pretty fun breather episode.

destinyunknown said:
This episode explores Vincent's feelings and raison d'etre, as what the 'mimic' says is actually what Vincent feels as well. Metaphorically, Vincent sees himself reflected on the mimic, as they both have always felt alone and abandoned, but thanks (?) to Re-L Vincent finally realizes that he does have a reason to look forward and continue with his life. The episode also hints what Vincent did to his hometown.

Interesting points. And yeah, we still don't know what happened in Mosque.
LeeTailorMay 16, 2017 2:25 PM
Jan 19, 2018 9:05 AM

Mar 2012
I liked it but found it odd that they didn't show what happened to the other proxy. Guess vincent just killed it offscreen.
Mar 11, 2018 7:05 PM

Feb 2013
Living in a big grocery store.

"Is this real?"

5/5 I do really enjoy this kind of thing.
Apr 7, 2018 6:08 AM

Oct 2016
The whole time I was just thinking 'cursed supermarket episode?'.

The pool of reflection thing is done well here though.
May 18, 2018 11:17 AM

Jan 2018
Pino is too cute for her own good!

Oh man, this morphing Proxy had me confused as fuck during this episode. Haha

But it's a good thing they're all reunited again.

Jan 30, 2019 8:23 PM

Mar 2016
Wanted to say something about this episode, but all I could think of was 'beautiful,' but that really only describes the imagery of the lake, with Re-l floating and sinking. That Vincent sort of sees 'himself' in that Proxy's double of him seems to have given him, or maybe he's already had it, a more optimistic(?) reason to go on this journey.

The direction was super-tight, again.
syncrogazerJan 30, 2019 8:29 PM
Feb 2, 2019 9:00 AM
Jun 2016
I absolutely love this episode! The first time I watched it, my mind went into overdrive, trying to work out what in the world was happening. When you finally realise what's going on, it's such an awesome moment. I also love the time loop that happens when Vincent comes out of the water and the fact that Re-L worked out he was the real Vincent through his own water reflection was brilliant. But still, when you re-watch this episode, you still have to piece together in every scene who is the real Vincent and who is the fake Re-L.

All in all, it's an awesome, mind-bending episode, just like the show can be at times. I really would like to see a feature-length film that does this idea. If executed well, it would be one heck of a mind trip, just like this episode!

10/10
Mar 26, 2019 5:22 AM
Jun 2017
WTF did i watch!!!
Apr 1, 2019 3:36 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
annoying af episode ....

Oct 29, 2019 6:48 PM

Mar 2017
Anybody else sick of seeing RE-L get slapped around like a chump?

She's about as competent as Sakura at this point.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Apr 25, 2020 6:28 AM

Mar 2020
ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jan 9, 2021 2:43 PM
Mar 2018
i didn't find it confusing tbh, and even guessed that there were sort of 'copies' of Re and Vince when Re took him to the rooftop and asked who he was.

also when Vince referred to Re-L as "his little thing" - clearly language our timid Vincent wouldn't use.

and the references to Shakespeare's Ophelia (from Hamlet) were very interesting.
Jan 13, 2021 1:09 AM

Nov 2017
loved the episode until the end where it became kinda anticlimactic to be honest. Would've wanted a darker end to the episode. The concept was probably my favourite out of all the other episodes!
Jun 7, 2021 5:28 PM

Mar 2018
SCP-3008 vibes with this one.

Besides my brain feeling drained trying to grasp this one at it's peak trip, I really enjoyed the psychological aspects this one brought into it.

The persistent message of one's acceptance in the world, changing your outer appearance to better please those around you for them to only reveal your veil and not be too fond of what they see, leading to the question of one's purpose or existence. This concept concludes in the end with Vince feeling reassured through this dilemma through Re-I and Pino as they accept him for who he is, allowing him to find a better understanding of life.

I really enjoyed the ride this one provided and if anything, really stood out as one of my favorites. Certain shows try to take diversions from their stories like this and tend to fail to provide proper entertainment, but this one did a great job of keeping me pulled in.
Celest__Jun 7, 2021 5:54 PM
Jun 25, 2021 12:21 PM

Jul 2009
Surprising episode!

Still, I was wondering what the original Proxy appearance was. But I guess based on his backstory. He killed everyone in the town and eventually he became alone as he wanted.

Seeing Re-L get "killed" by Vincent as if she was real. Damn. Definitely would have scarred me T__T

Seeing Pino run away scared like that. Damn!

Jul 6, 2021 2:52 AM

Aug 2019
that smile at the end, could she be possibly warming up to Vincent?
Aug 17, 2021 6:29 AM

Dec 2018
it had an endless eight vibe and then i thought the repetition was driving them to madness but then about halfway through, not too long before pino, i figured there was two. cool beginning, okay end, terribly frustrating and boring middle but as a concept i guess it wasn't terribly executed but coming after the last one where he was in the "book store" it's a bit much.
Oct 1, 2021 10:32 AM
Nov 2020
This episode was extreme confusing, somehow every episode leaves off with more questions than before.
Feb 2, 2022 5:24 AM

Aug 2016
One of the strongest episodes so far, thematically. This truly took Re-L and Vince's relationship to the next level. The visual representation of comparisons to Hamlet were really well done, juxtaposed to the other Proxies. I felt a lot was able to be done in that 20 minute time span.

The best directed episode, for sure.
Feb 2, 2022 11:48 AM
Jun 2021
Brain scramply egg
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

93 by LonewolfNBU »»
Apr 12, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

71 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 12:23 AM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

236 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.