Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 24, 2011 11:48 AM

Oct 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this episode was cool
Nov 24, 2011 2:47 PM

Feb 2008
What a wonderful flashback between Shouma and Himari, but I'm still confused about the plot thought.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Nov 24, 2011 2:51 PM

Jun 2008
OMGGGG, i so need subs. i need subsssssssssssssssssssss.

well, at least it is confirmed: Masako x Kanba x Mario =siblings.
Sanetoshi is still a pedo for Himari. Himari went to talk with him about LOVE.
Frozen place is somewhat near penguins and Child broiler. Kanba has an apple too, but Shou did share his apple with Himari.

Cried tears of blood with Little Shou x Himari x Kitten (perfect family) T_T seriously, the soundtrack was so perfect and the scenes were cuteness overload. It secretly made me ship Himari x Shou for a moment.

Shou being emo and being comforted by Ringo...again.
But still...wow im so impressed with Little Shou. What a great sweet hardworking kid. period.

Take that, those who said Shou was useless.

And it seems everything will return to "normal"? (Aka, happy family life).

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 24, 2011 3:04 PM

Feb 2009
Subs needed. Now.

Judging by the Masako calling Kanba Onii-sama, we know that her, Kanba and Mario are all siblings... So none of the three mains are related? At least, that's what I got from it.

They still seem to be pushing Ringo x Shouma though, hey?

What was being said while Kanba was talking with his parents? He said Himari's name a lot and seemed pretty stressed... It's hard guessing when I have no idea what they're saying T.T
Nov 24, 2011 4:22 PM

Mar 2010
Kipcha said:
They still seem to be pushing Ringo x Shouma though, hey?

What was being said while Kanba was talking with his parents? He said Himari's name a lot and seemed pretty stressed... It's hard guessing when I have no idea what they're saying T.T

I think the show is now leaning towards Shouma x Himari now, though it seems to be getting deeper than just a "love" relationship.

Oh, Kanba was just saying Himari really needs medical fee for her treatment and he is the only one who can save her life. (Ironically, Kanba is becoming more and more left out of the loop though as the time goes on...)

Nov 24, 2011 4:34 PM

Mar 2008
Orulyon said:
Cried tears of blood with Little Shou x Himari x Kitten (perfect family) T_T seriously, the soundtrack was so perfect and the scenes were cuteness overload. It secretly made me ship Himari x Shou for a moment.
let me join the sobbing club... that part was just epic.. TT__TT

Orulyon said:
And it seems everything will return to "normal"? (Aka, happy family life).
I might have got it all wrong.. but it sounded the opposite way to me... so let's wait for the subs to confirm, there's a couple of words that keep me away from being 100% sure...

btw, Orulyon, I wasn't right at all about Shouma's decision to save Himari being "forced" by his parents. He did save Himari in a similar way to Momoka and it doesn't look like it was in Takakura's mind at that time. It seems it was Shouma himself who forced Himari into Takakura's family if not against than at least without any agreement to his parents. But Sanetoshi is a... such a... to decide to act on it.. and looks like he played Himari's card well - Kamba's onboard.

stevewiess01 said:
Oh, Kanba was just saying Himari really needs medical fee for her treatment and he is the only one who can save her life. (Ironically, Kanba is becoming more and more left out of the loop though as the time goes on...)
are you certain about it? To me it sounded like:"Why do I have to pay the doctor's bill for Himari's treatment? Only I can save her" - it's like, we don't need that Sanetoshi with his pills.

ADD:
And that faceless guy made its appearance again...somehow he creeps me out... He and Mario are the only two guys from whom I've got no ideas what to expect...
soulelleNov 24, 2011 4:50 PM
Nov 24, 2011 5:06 PM

Mar 2010
soulelle said:
are you certain about it? To me it sounded like:"Why do I have to pay the doctor's bill for Himari's treatment? Only I can save her" - it's like, we don't need that Sanetoshi with his pills.

Kanba: 「そうだよ。陽鞠には、どうしても治療費が必要なんだ。陽鞠を救えるのは、俺しかいない。」
I suppose you're confused with the phrase どうしても, which means "by all means" or "at any cost", with どうして which means "why". There's a similar grammatical pattern with also 何でも、どこでも、いつでも, etc

Nov 24, 2011 5:24 PM

Mar 2008
stevewiess01 said:
Kanba: 「そうだよ。陽鞠には、どうしても治療費が必要なんだ。陽鞠を救えるのは、俺しかいない。」
I suppose you're confused with the phrase どうしても, which means "by all means" or "at any cost", with どうして which means "why". There's a similar grammatical pattern with also 何でも、どこでも、いつでも, etc
true that! thanks for your help! ^^ I guess I really better wait for subs before drawing any further conclusions
Nov 24, 2011 7:05 PM

Aug 2008
This is episode was beautiful!

but how can you do that to me? it's like it's already settle down that Himari and Shouma is a pair! What will happen to ringo? :'(

Me too, I need sub. I didn't understand all the Satenoshi's talk about love and kiss! XD By the way, Satenoshi is handsome!
Nov 24, 2011 7:22 PM
Apr 2011
WHAT
KANBA IS MASAKO'S BROTHER?
Was this revealed earlier? Was I just too stupid to notice?
What the complete fuck
Nov 24, 2011 7:26 PM

Feb 2009
Onii said:
WHAT
KANBA IS MASAKO'S BROTHER?

That is one of the only predictable things that has happened so far :P
Nov 24, 2011 7:53 PM
Mar 2011
seems like ringo x shouma is settled. shouma is saying that hes the reason why himari is a takakura. i dont see shouma going for himari at all.

i dont think masako, mario, kanba are siblings or related.

its obvious kanba, shouma, himari are not related.

eh, i could be wrong
"....i am the villain in this story"
Nov 24, 2011 8:10 PM

Jun 2011
I am....So confused. Ok, so Kanba, Souma, and Himari are all unrelated. And as it turns out, Kanba is related to Masako. Kanba is in love with Himari while Himari is in love with Souma, who is the love interest for Ringo. And I'm still unsure about the plot. What is this Survival Strategy? What are those penguins supposed to do? What's with all these penguin hats? What's the diary supposed to do? Maybe I missed some obvious points in the show but I'm so damn confused now. Oh dear lord, what the heck is happening in this show. @_@
Nov 24, 2011 8:30 PM

Feb 2010
I think Himari's adorable and all, but I'd really like to see Shouma and Ringo end up together, but I really don't see it happening since Shouma hates himself...
(or rather his parents) so much that he can't stand being near Ringo because his parents killed her sister....
But does Shouma love Himari in the way that she supposedly loves him?
I mean she does say that Shouma is her "soulmate" and this all is connected to
the fruit that he hands her and how it's the fruit of fate also having a sort of connection to the apple that "adam and eve" shared. Yeah that's about all I got out of it.

In my opinion, I think that Shouma sees her more as a little sister and he loves her. "Sibling" love...but I'm so darn confused too.

I still have no idea what the heck survival strategy fits into the plot, no idea why the penguins are there and do, don't know what the diary does...Saw Mario or whatever the name was...but how does this have to do with a penguin hat? Gahh it's all so confusing... I really wish they'd clear some things up. :(
EarlCielNov 24, 2011 8:33 PM
Nov 24, 2011 9:09 PM
Oct 2008
Honestly,This is the most interesting show i've watched since madoka.
well,i'm mainly watching it for the ringo x shouma moments.O3O.this episode was lacking of ringo maybe that's why i didn't enjoy it that much T_T.

i really liked the scene with the cute kitten,along with that fantastic BGM they used.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
what the heck is the child broiler? is it really just a metaphorical visual presentation? then why did himari knew that kind of place even exists, even kenzan knew about it.i really hope they can give us some answers to the never ending questions.
Nov 24, 2011 9:45 PM

Oct 2010
so sad. :')

can't wait for next week's episode. The shows ending is on the horizon! Nooooo!!!!!! DDDDDX
Nov 24, 2011 10:00 PM

Nov 2009
The one thing I find interesting is in the intermission episode 24's stop is still not being showed and it's at the end of a curve..
Nov 24, 2011 10:05 PM

Nov 2011
EPISODE 20, Y U SO CONFUSING? ; 3 ;

Right now, I'm just trying to wrap my head around their parents being involved with the whole "Survive Strategy" thing. And it ties in with the penguin-aliens, the concept of fate, Momoka, the Child Broiler, etc.

My current thoughts and probably inaccurate analysis:

• 'Kiga Group' is pretty much behind EVERYTHING so far. This is pretty obvious.
  • Being the group of apparent misanthropes that they are, they're out to 'fix' the terrible world. I'm just going to label them as a group of crazy terrorists for now, (even if I do think they have the right idea /pessimist.) After all, very few characters in this anime don't have mental disorders... (Not that I'm complaining. MENTAL DISORDER FETISH FTW.)
  • As far as their attacks go, during the subway one, were they specifically attacking Momoka or someone else? Or was it merely random? The whole 'fate' might play a strong part in the Kiga Group's beliefs as well, since it's already so emphasized in the anime-- Nowait, it definitely does. I'm just not sure how, yet.
  • Refer to the picture of a group of people surrounded by (normal) penguins. Maybe they, I dunno, did something freaky and/or scientific to the poor flightless birds to make them do... whatever the hell it is they do? Or, maybe the penguins are truly aliens, who simply gave them the knowledge of the world. Or aliens who just want them to do their bidding.
  • SPEAKING OF WHICH, AT LEAST I GOT THE APPLE SYMBOLISM RIGHT... I THINK. 8'D
    In the story of Adam and Eve-- when Eve eats the fruit from the tree of knowledge (which is commonly said to be an apple), she suddenly becomes aware of what evil is and becomes no longer ignorant to it. In Mawaru Penguindrum...

... Everyone in this anime obviously ate them some apple.
Yuri-chiiNov 24, 2011 10:09 PM
Nov 24, 2011 10:18 PM

Jul 2009
this anime just keeps going back and forth, round and around and im getting... tired. lol
where is this going?!?!
Nov 24, 2011 10:54 PM

Oct 2010
HOLY CRAP i loooove this show! it just keeps getting better and better but how the hell will it end?!
Nov 24, 2011 11:24 PM

Aug 2011
This music in this episode was 'fabulous max'! xd
Nov 24, 2011 11:30 PM

Jul 2011
I really loved this episode. The flashback scenes were beautiful <3 I'm even more confused about the relationships, but nothing really surprises me anymore with this anime XD Can't wait for next week!
Nov 24, 2011 11:35 PM

Sep 2008
I need all the new ED's NAO!!! O_o This one was awesome.
entauri.deviantart.com

Nov 24, 2011 11:36 PM

May 2009
One of the better epsiodes as of lately. I am a bit sad that they seem to be pushing Sho x Himari so hard and Kanba is starting to be portrayed more and more in a negative light :c
Nov 24, 2011 11:40 PM

Jun 2011
stop with the sho-chan x himari please><
kanba is being left out now...

I really want to see how this anime will end.. especially when they have so many stuff to explain.. like the relationship between momoka and pedo-sanetoshi o-o

and of course, what the penguin drum is.. which they already hinted it in ep17 :D
Onigiri-sanNov 24, 2011 11:51 PM
Nov 24, 2011 11:43 PM

May 2010
I do not accept ShouxHimari...ShouxRingo please...I'm so use to them being paired and arguing, lol.

With 4episodes left, I wonder how everything is gonna end, I really don't have the slightest clue still wtf is going on...Wasn't it finding the penguindrum? or is that now Shouma and Himari's love..? And anyone see the similarities with Shouma/Momoka? They both seem to have things that "normal" children wouldn't posses..The fruit of faith and the diary...Regardless, I love this show and all it's unanswered questions that never seem to end.
Nov 24, 2011 11:47 PM

Dec 2010
arrozykamehameha said:
This music in this episode was 'fabulous max'! xd
Very true, the ost is amazing so far but the music specifically in this episode was just phenomenal. I especially love the women's voice singing that glorious "ah" in the background.
Nov 25, 2011 12:04 AM

Oct 2010
Amazing episode. Kind of need a breather so far because as the following part in the spoiler
happens I cannot wonder but dreadfully realize and fully accept at 100% there is incest already done. If Kanba’s father got called by Natsume father than would it imply incest? Considering a kiss has already been done I guess things are very solid. I could never imagine it but instead reminded myself of that episode where Natsume kissed out of the blue Kanba except now we know they both have the same father. While Kanba x Himari is totally down the drain somehow.

OH THE IRONY! Hohoho! Still most amazing meeting in such a small apartment.

Apart from the sudden realization of the irony I really did T_T at the following,

Himari! Poor poor Himari! Her parents must have been assholes for throwing her away like that! I truly am very thankful of Shouma in the spoiler
the man earned his respect to say the least. He ran all the way to that place even as Himari was in the transport going there. I cannot comprehend how can parents throw their kids like that. In fact for the first time I saw in my mind along with this symbol here that this is not a broiler but a thrash compactor or if you rather have a paper shredder. The down reality I concluded is something that makes meat out of your body to be fed to lions/tigers in captivity. That is sick really. Moreover they made the child broiler more explicit as in details are better with grinders teeth being seen better, the shards are much more there and projected very fast out along with as they do that the mixing of the shards being stuck on the grinder plays out even worse. Thank the author for being not graphical. In reality those would flesh/crap stuck on those. They would be bloody red too.

Comes Shouma in the spoiler
a recommendable save considering that spoiler proves he got wounded. What I don’t understand is why? The shards should not do that at all since they are not glass but are to represent something else. In fact from the very start of Shouma’s meeting of Himari it was marvellous. Shouma already had an apple from the start and it looked like he was playing with it. From the looks of how Himari was acting in the spoiler
it really goes back to the parents being assholes and not taking care of her, hence her roaming around the building freely. It tells me a lot as Shouma finds Himari of her expressions in the spoiler
surely looks like depression to me. Most likely of being given up on. Despite that Shouma’s offer of the apple got still rejected strictly out and I was wondering how did Himari suddenly disappear here.

The cat arc was quite nice. In fact I was surprised that Shouma did bring milk and fed the cat of it. While that place where that cat was is really ghetto. The best of that segment were Himari smiles/shy faces in the spoiler
now those were MOE overload on me. That was way too MOE.
Still my favourite is the following,

That Himari x Shouma part with the scarf was fabulous max possible but not at that age. Shouma did have a nice face here. In thee end I am just glad Himari is all happy again in the spoiler
and that itself is a great warm teary feeling for her.
Maybe more later.

BTW Image Stitches have been done in the club:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=368727
Himari looks really nice.

End art in the spoiler
actually intrigued me a lot considering its Shouma with Himari.
Yumekichi11Nov 25, 2011 2:49 AM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Nov 25, 2011 1:10 AM

Apr 2010
The Child Broiler episodes always seem a bit slow, I nearly forgot about Momoka and Survival Strategy. I hope everything will be adequately covered by the end of the show.

I'm guessing that Kanba and Shouma are half-brothers since the dad seems to be interacting with both of them in the flashback. Natsume and Kanba are legit siblings, but what about Mario? Why would Natsume, the older sister, call her supposed brother Mario-san?
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Nov 25, 2011 1:29 AM

Jul 2009
Can't complain about them pushing ShoumaxHimari, because if it is romantic, it seems very one sided to me; he's always thinking about family after all.
While I'm on the subject of those two, I couldn't stop being aware that they gave the kitten the same name as Himari's penguin.

The 'Kanba and Masako are siblings' thing is interesting, and kinda changes my opinion about her motives... even though I'm still questioning what exactly it is she wants and why.

Anyway, I'm very interested in Kiga/ the former Penguin Force's motives. Kenzan's speech at the beginning is full of terms we've heard before, but little context for them. He's talking about being in a frozen world, but that the 'Flame of Hope' is burning strong; considering how fire is associated with Momoka (...and, in the opening, Ringo), they want to do the whole world jumping/changing thing?
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Nov 25, 2011 1:57 AM
Jul 2018
LOL! What fabulous trolling! I remember all the discussions that exploded over that censored kiss in Ep 1 and how some people outright dropped the show because they thought it was incest. Well, they had us fooled!

Kanba and Masako being related and the tile "because I love him!" makes Ep 10 all the more creepy. I find Masako's obsession with her onii-sama more disturbing than the girls' from Utena since they didn't go as far as she did. It seems that Kanba might have also been disowned by his grandfather since the younger brother Mario is recognized as the heir to the Natsume family.

I'm still supporting Shouma/Ringo, but the flashback quite moved me. Shouma's conversation with Ringo denoted guilt more than love over inviting Himari to the Takakura family and getting her dragged into this. Also, Himari's exchange with Sanetoshi hinted at her not willing to pursue a romantic relationship with Shouma, and her making apple curry at the end might be hinting at her wishing him and Ringo happiness.

Spoilers for Utena and the title of Ep 22:

Kanba was the one narrating the preview, which might hint at the next episode being centered around him, though he always uses "Ore" to refer to himself and in the title tehre's a "Boku" which is always used by Shouma, Sanetoshi and Tabuki.
removed-userNov 25, 2011 2:50 AM
Nov 25, 2011 2:10 AM

Sep 2011
Very good episode,we got confirmation of many things.

First Kanba/Natsume are confirmed siblings something many people already suspect,still as some say they had already kiss so "incest is in the air" or maybe there is still something else we will see.

Shouma/Himari flashback was amazing the OST was on top form specially the scene when Shouma rescue her that was a amazing song i wan the OST NOW!!.
Also the new couple rise and Kanba got kick in the nuts by Shouma x Himari but......no just NO Shouma x Ringo = win but will see T_T

Yumekichi11 said:
Still most amazing meeting in such a small appartment.

The meeting place was interesting but still obvious since most of the time all secret meetings are in shit holes.

With many questions answer but at the same time new ones rise...4 more to go lets hope they keep the lvl until the end.

BTW Pedo doctor is win.
raxius1230Nov 25, 2011 2:16 AM
Nov 25, 2011 2:44 AM

Apr 2011
Interesting episode. Cute flashback moments with Sho and Himari = ♥

And so I was right about thinking that Kanba and Masako could be related. I wonder how Sho is related to them. 'Cause when they saw him playing outside...I think Masako said something about "our" father but I'm not sure if she meant "our" as in her, Mario and Kanba, or whether Sho was included in the "our". Though it's possible that Sho is their cousin (which is another theory I have).

Only four more episodes. I wonder how it'll end.
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Nov 25, 2011 3:13 AM

Jun 2009
Two episodes and the show destroyed two other shipping that is built up in 18 episodes.

IKUUUUUUUUUUHAAAAAAARAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Nov 25, 2011 3:19 AM

Sep 2010
While the Shouma/Himari scenes are cute Shouma/Ringo is way better.

I guess I can feel a bit better shipping Kanba/Himari now since it isn't incest cause they are not blood related.

Can't wait to see what happens next.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 25, 2011 3:36 AM

Aug 2009
Shouma why you so pathetic and negative? The useless one gets a harem while Kanba has only Masako.
Nov 25, 2011 4:01 AM

May 2010
hmmmm..This episode explains that Kanba is Masako & Mario's brother,we are not actuallly explained that they are real siblings or step ones but my guess is that they are not real siblings since both Masako & Kanba have same age(am I right?) or atleast the age gap between them is small.So this makes Shou & Kanba half-brothers.Himari isn't part of the family but she is adopted with Shou's help.
Nov 25, 2011 4:10 AM

Oct 2010
A little worried about how they're gonna end this, with four eps left and all. I do, however, have high hopes that they will end this in Fabulous Max fashion, so yeah, still awesome ^^
"Isn't life, by nature, a contest decided by a single round? However trifling the matter, it's not possible to return to the last save point by pushing some reset button." - Kazuki Hoshino, Hakomari, Vol. 1
Nov 25, 2011 5:57 AM
May 2009
Beautiful episode, as a shipfag - I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SHIP ANYMORE! D: I think I'm still gonna stick with Shoma/Ringo and because of the latest episodes I ended up shipping Kamba/Himari, too, even though I thought Kamba's feelings were kind of creepy at first.
Well, shipfaggotry aside. One thing makes me wonder. Does anyone have any idea why the meeting led by Kenzan was Penguin Force's at first, and then Kiga group's? Someone said Kiga is the former Penguin Force, but on the day of attack Kenzan had a Penguin Force logo on the back, not Kiga's. It could be the other way around (Penguin Force was called Kiga before), but...
I ended up thinking that these are parallel worlds, in one of them Kenzan's group is Penguin Force and his children are Kamba, Masako and Mario, and in another it's Kiga and his son is Shoma. And then Momoka messed around with it a bit and it all changed. But idk idk I don't know who is whose sibling and stuff anymore ><
Also, it surprised me that Kamba is older than Masako, somehow I thought Masako is a bit older than the rest of cast (like, 17 or 18).
QashqaiNov 25, 2011 6:06 AM
Nov 25, 2011 6:03 AM

Feb 2011
Wow, that was the most beautiful anime episode, I've seen in a long time. =)

But damn, just when the cat got my name, it died. ._.
Nov 25, 2011 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
Qashqai said:
One thing makes me wonder. Does anyone have any idea why the meeting led by Kenzan was Penguin Force's at first, and then Kiga group's? Someone said Kiga is the former Penguin Force, but on the day of attack Kenzan had a Penguin Force logo on the back, not Kiga's.
I ended up thinking that these are parallel worlds, in one of them Kenzan's group is Penguin Force and his children are Kamba, Masako and Mario, and in another it's Kiga and his son is Shoma

It was Penguin Force at first, but after the 1995 attack they changed the organization's name to Kiga to avoid detection.

I remembered Masako's talk with Kanba in Ep 11 about Penguins and how there is a Penguin King and how one penguin-Kanba-is being sacrificed so the others could survive. It all possibly hints at all the work that Kanba does for the organization and putting himself in danger while Kenzan and the others are in hiding. It might also be hinting at the possibility of Kanba being backstabbed -by the organization or Sanetoshi himself, who's apparently the puppeteer- or him dying at the end for the sake of others, which Masako is trying to prevent at all costs.
Nov 25, 2011 6:22 AM
Sep 2011
I dare to say that this is probably my favourite episode of this show not to mention my favourite anime episode of the past few months. No other has captured me and effected me on such an emotional level like this. Even though the mood was very calm and quiet it didn't feel dull for a second. Especially the coldness of the apartment complex added to the melancholy feeling.

I have to say that I wasn't surprised to see that Kanba is actually related with Masako and Mario since the flashback about Masako's childhood already hinted at that .
Nov 25, 2011 6:35 AM
Aug 2011
This episode is amazing because it tackles on the answers to some of the questions lingering in the previous episodes as well as providing another pool of questions that is piquing the viewers. These are mainly the following:

1. Is the Takakura siblings really siblings?
Ans. In the first episode, they said they are siblings but in this episode, that image is debunked. Apparently, only Shoma is the heir of the Takakura family while Kanba and Himari are adopted in the family. However, it seemed that Shoma's parents favor Kanba over Sho even though Kanba is a Natsume. Himari, meanwhile, was adopted to the Takakura household after her parents abandoned her.
Questions: Perhaps the most significant questions being raised to this realization are the following:
1. Why was Kanba adopted in the Takakura Household?
2. Why was the Takakura couple involve Kanba in their present operations and not Shoma?
3. Is Kanba a blood brother to Masako?

2. Why is Shoma guilty of his parent's actions?
Ans. This is related to the answer in the first question. He is the true son of the Takakura Couple and so he takes responsibility of his parent's actions especially the death of Momoka. He believed that he should shoulder the burden However, there seemed to be a rift between Shoma and his parents as the young Shoma was somewhat disinterested in the plans of his parents unlike Masako, Kanba and Mario. This shows how different Shoma is to the Natsume Siblings. Shoma is somewhat childish, naive and unconstrained, preferring to act in his own age and tries to act with kindness to his peers, while the Natsumes are dignified, aloof and acting like adults in their own age.

3. Is Shoma Himari's Soulmate?
Ans. In Himari's perception, she claims he is because he is the one who saved her from the Child Broiler. The moment she received the "apple of fate" entranced her to the extent that she believed that their meeting is called by fate. Shoma's view on this matter is interesting. We know nothing on how the young Shoma treats Himari apart from being his childhood friend, but somehow the young Shoma becomes surprisingly responsible for Himari's welfare. He somehow condones Himari's belief of being chosen and unchosen by fate. Upon saving her, he shares the apple of fate to Himari out of compassion to say that Himari is important to him. Perhaps adopting Himari to his family is an act not only to save Himari, but also to relieve Himari's self-conception as an unchosen one.
Questions: I was very surprised to know that in episode 19, Himari did not remember how Shoma and Himari met. Why did Himari forgotten the fact that they are not really siblings? Also, how did Masako knew Himari? I hope the last 4 episodes would answer that.

Apart from the questions, it's interesting that there are enduring contrasts between Shoma and Kanba that were brought to life in this episode. Both Shoma and Kanba are concerned with Himari's welfare that both want to take responsible to it. Shoma wanted to bear the burden of his family's curse to save Himari, while Kanba would do any tricks and trades to save her. However, both brothers would unintentionally compete for that responsibility. It's interesting to note that the color of their hair somewhat intensified their contrast. Shoma's serene and subdued nature is somewhat opposed to Kanba's vigorous and dominant personality. While Kanba would take radical actions to save Himari, Shoma subtly takes care of Himari in his own ways. This might be the reason why Shoma doesn't shine as a responsible brother in the previous episodes. With Kanba out of the picture in the rest of the scenes, Shoma's nature is unfolded naturally.
Nov 25, 2011 6:50 AM

Aug 2009
damnit damnit damnit damnit DAMNIT! ;~;

As much as I shipped Himari x Kanba during this entire show, how can I not ship Himari x Shoma after seeing that story!? ;___;
Nov 25, 2011 6:54 AM

Apr 2010
This anime.

I am slain.

*cries*
Nov 25, 2011 7:01 AM
May 2009
Raven_Shinobi said:
Qashqai said:
One thing makes me wonder. Does anyone have any idea why the meeting led by Kenzan was Penguin Force's at first, and then Kiga group's? Someone said Kiga is the former Penguin Force, but on the day of attack Kenzan had a Penguin Force logo on the back, not Kiga's.
I ended up thinking that these are parallel worlds, in one of them Kenzan's group is Penguin Force and his children are Kamba, Masako and Mario, and in another it's Kiga and his son is Shoma

It was Penguin Force at first, but after the 1995 attack they changed the organization's name to Kiga to avoid detection.

Ah yeah, I missed that line because I didn't watch the episode with subs earlier. Now that I watched it, I see.
Then I'm even more wondering about how exactly all the kids are related. Are Shoma, Kamba, Masako and Mario real siblings? They surely aren't similar to each other, lol. It's only the eye's color for Kamba and Shoma and Mario nad Masako. Shoma feels guilty about his parents' sin, so I guess he's the real Takakuras' son, perhaps the only one, but Kamba looks so much like Kenzan... ><
QashqaiNov 25, 2011 7:15 AM
Nov 25, 2011 8:09 AM

Feb 2009
Lawd. I don't even know what pairing to root for anymore.
I thought I was behind Kanba/Himari and way against Shoma/Himari, but this episode was so beautiful and touching. Possibly one of the best episodes I've ever seen, that's how much of an impression it left on me. Also that vocal music toward the end of the episode was gorgeous.

This anime is absolutely stunning

Though I do have to say I'm not too fond of Shoma/Ringo...
DropletNov 25, 2011 8:14 AM
Nov 25, 2011 8:24 AM
Jun 2011
I am so happy that himari isnt related to kanba or shoma i dont care wich one she ends up with
i just hope kanba dosnt end up with masako
and what is the child brolier it is so confuising
so many things and so few episodes left i hope they give the show the ending it deserves
Nov 25, 2011 8:30 AM
May 2011
The amount of metaphors and great artistry in this series...

IS TOO DAMN HIGH!
Nov 25, 2011 8:45 AM

Mar 2008
Orulyon said:

Cried tears of blood with Little Shou x Himari x Kitten (perfect family) T_T seriously, the soundtrack was so perfect and the scenes were cuteness overload.

This soundtrack... unbelieveable.

Allow me to say something related to all the disdain that the series has suffered, and accusations of being "pseudo".

All we are seeing now that all this embellished and poetic talk, unlike in Bakemonogatari for example, is not just decoration, it is not just to be cute, actually had content behind those words. And not just figments of Ikuhara's mind, it was talking about real issues, the real world.
The Child Broiler is the biggest example. For more crazy it is, it is REAL.
some of you may have fished the context of this whole situation throughout the series, and its context to Japan today, but I realized that for most foreigners it all is difficult to perceive and UNDERSTAND.

I, for example.
I'm from Brasil.

We see that the Ikuhara's talking about the context and consequences of the brilliant 1980s, Japan experienced, and the bubble burst in the 1990s.
What happened here was the opposite.
In the 1980s the country was at rock bottom, deep down, scraping the bottom of it. Until the 1990s when the country began to recover, and look where they are Brazil and Japan today.
Brazil is seen as being in a good moment, with prospects of growth, while Japan is in a great stagnation and no hope of a bright future as the past.
The more I understand about what Ikuhara is talking, I will never understand the same and feel the same way that the Japanese public.

I feel limited to appreciate Mawaru Penguindrum for the artistic point of view only.
But for the Japanese it may have a much greater meaning and relevance. It is a work that is reflective of its time. Zeitgeist

The ARB's songs in this regard are still better and has further significance because they were written just at the moment upon which the series talks.
I feel accomplished.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.