Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 3, 2011 11:14 AM

Mar 2009
alexcampos said:
Seriously though, I've gotta ask, why is every anime studio so HORRIBLE with foreign languages???

I mean, the English was Terrible, the German and French was also bad...

Is it really so hard to get someone who is fluent in English???

I thought it was funnier this way, to be honest. They also craftily avoided most of the German (from the start of the episode), by having the speech muted and subtitled in Japanese. Minami's terrible English is excusable because she was in Germany, not an English-speaking country and funny to boot.

WHAT A SHIT MAN YOU ARE.

Edit: The poor French is also excusable, because Akihisa's an idiot and Minami guessed (correctly, I would imagine) that Akihisa looked up the words in a dictionary; which, as any translator can tell you, is a poor method of translating whole sentences from one language to another.
Sep 3, 2011 4:46 PM

Jul 2009
LOL my favorite episode so far. It's nice to see some character background once in a while. Too bad it's ending soon. *sigh*

bonononononono said:
"i am a man. are you?" ROFL

HAAHAHAHAHA
Sep 4, 2011 4:34 AM

Jun 2009
Well, this really was touching. It really made me feel bad for poor Minami. Now, I'm more on her side than Mizuki's. Also, this is my favorite episode so far. Not only it showed Minami's backstory but also a bit of Akihisa's as well: how he met other guys and became friends with Minami.
Sep 4, 2011 9:43 AM

May 2007
Well hard to argue for Mizuki now, sorry Minami wins, she even got the first kiss, which speaking of which, how did that go?

I really liked the style of this episode too.
My anime list
Sep 5, 2011 12:31 AM

Jan 2011
A semi-serious episode, wtf? Well, it explains a lot about why Minami has been interested in Akihisa. The problem with tsundere characters is that often there isn't sufficient explanation about why they have developed the love-hate relationship with the protagonist--this episode provided that explanation! (and I'm a big fan of tsunderes...)

This episode also bumped up my show rating by one or two points.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 7, 2011 12:26 AM

Aug 2009
Best BakaTest episode ever. Seriously, this was great.
Sep 7, 2011 12:26 PM

May 2011
This was mostly cute, but there were still a lot of hillarious moments.

All the languages though are making my head spin a lil. I speak English and a little French, plus I've picked up some Japanese phrases, but it was difficult to pick out each one when it kept switching from one to the other. haha, it was sweet, though. ^_^
Sep 10, 2011 5:16 PM

Jul 2009
Holy crap, really awesome episode. Who'da thunk there'd be CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT?! I can totally see how hard it would be to go to school where you don't understand the language. Seeing Aki and co. as first years and their introductions was funny too XD
Minami's Engrish ... and her Japanese oh my god, so cute D: Plus lol @ Aki's French (which I personally would have translated as "don't you want to be my friend" XD). Although I wonder how she understood Yuuji :P
Ah too bad we didn't get to hear her say that to Aki though XD Her Japanese version I mean. Well, I've always liked Minami more than Himeji but even more so now! :D
Sep 18, 2011 7:24 AM
Jul 2010
One more time, I can say I do like the way Japanese people talk foreign languages.
A really interesting episode which presents how difficult it should be to move in another country...

@EvianBubble : I think "Wouldn't you become my friend? can be the better translation. :P
Sep 24, 2011 12:39 AM

May 2010
Han-yuu said:
"What a shit man you are" lol.
"Wa ta shi = What a shit & What a sea?" lol.
"Cem on here Kinoshita" lol

This.

Language misunderstandings are funny. :D

More Minami is good.
Oct 1, 2011 6:31 AM

Feb 2011
watashi = what a shit
lolz
Oct 15, 2011 12:10 AM

Jun 2009
Lol Yoshii's intro
I dont like to much Hideyoshi's girliness
but the restroom scene was too hilarious

Could you become my friend? well that was sweet
The next morning... What a shit? omg this is really funny
I like how Minami greeted Yoshi with that accent
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Nov 12, 2011 2:04 AM

Aug 2010
That was wonderful!! I didn't think they'll show the past! Would love it if they show how Aki and Yuuji and the rest become friends.

Yuuji looks like some kind of gangster...

Aww so sweet (especially Aki)

And I like the artistic way of the story-telling - like that scene when Minami went back and she said everything is alright, while there is a sad voice at the background from the TV, but which reflects her inner feelings. I thought that was beautiful.
blue-yNov 12, 2011 2:08 AM
Dec 1, 2011 12:51 PM

Nov 2008
StormViruz said:
Han-yuu said:
"What a shit man you are" lol.
"Wa ta shi = What a shit & What a sea?" lol.
"Cem on here Kinoshita" lol

This.

Language misunderstandings are funny. :D

More Minami is good.

This episode was so good ( ;∀;) I love character development in comedy's.
It made me love Minami so much more. And made me ship her with Aki to xD.
Aki was so sweet (and stupid too xD).

Best BakaTest episode for now <3
Dec 25, 2011 2:17 PM

Oct 2009
Wow, an episode about their past. Didn't see that coming. Was pretty interesting, specially how Yuuji asked Minami: "what do you think about that baka?"
あらあら。。。
Mar 11, 2012 4:43 PM

Jul 2010
didnt somthing important happen last episode??

Mar 29, 2012 2:07 AM

Mar 2009
Their miscommunication was funny.
Apr 30, 2012 8:25 AM

Jul 2009
Tu ne voudrais pas devenir mon amie is spelled wrong XD
It should be; Tu ne voudrais pas devenir MA amie.
Also, it doesn't even mean could you be my friend.
Tu ne voudrais pas = you don't want to
devenir ma amie = be my friend.
It actually means: Don't you want to be my friend?

Also, the engrish made my ears bleed...
May 12, 2012 10:08 PM

Oct 2011
finaly a look at her past,haha finaly my studies in french have paid off! lol @ minami's pic at l' Arc de Triomphe <3 i hope to rember to cosplay as her when i visit there
May 24, 2012 11:25 PM

Apr 2010
I'm glad they threw an episode like this in there. It was very touching. And Shimada was really cute in the way she tries to speak Japanese.

Jun 23, 2012 4:24 PM

Jul 2010
The amount of Engrish, Germish and Frinch in this episode was too damn high! xD

Anyway, nice to get some back story on Minami and how she met Akihisa. I felt kinda sorry for her. She was really struggling to fit into the class. Pretty weird how she just moved from Germany to Japan, has a Japanese name and learned to speak the language in just a year though. I think her father is Japanese and her mother German, but then why the Japanese name?

Pretty funny and sweet how Akihisa tried to get closer to her by trying to speaking in her language. He spoke French though, but it's the thought that counts right? She looked it up afterwards anyway.

But man, what a moment to cut off. What did she answer?! D:
OnyxthegreatJun 23, 2012 4:31 PM

Jul 12, 2012 3:03 PM

May 2012
Damn nice backstory! I do wonder what she said back than, let's see what the next episodes brings us!
Nov 27, 2012 7:18 PM

Aug 2009
Wow, I felt like I was watching a different anime. This episode felt so down and melancholy-like. Honestly, I enjoyed this ep the most so far. This season hasn't been making me laugh much, but I didn't expect such serious development out of nowhere. It's a nice change.

Minami's story was pretty sad. Akihisa's really is such a nice guy, translating a foreign language just to make a stranger feel welcome. Someone who goes to such lengths is definitely a worthwhile friend. Seeing how all the guys met was neat, too.

These abrupt episode endings are really killing me..
Jan 15, 2013 5:50 AM
Dec 2012
'What a shit man you are!" xD
Minami is so tsundereee. I love her more than Himeji lolz.
Feb 17, 2013 8:06 AM

Aug 2012
didn't they already know each other from grade school?
Feb 25, 2013 2:26 PM

Apr 2012
They overdid the accent a bit, also there's no way she would completely lose the accent in a year.
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Jun 24, 2013 10:10 PM

Jun 2013
after minami found the meaning of 'tu ne voudrais pas devenir mon amie?' i was crying...

i'm sure to love her, shimada always have an amazing love for akihisa :)
i lack on english but, i want to speak!
Jul 14, 2013 8:29 PM
May 2012
did anyone noticed the scenery graphics difference on this episode
Ezsence
Jul 30, 2013 3:39 PM

May 2013
Haha, all the misunderstandings like, "What a shit", but it was hilarious when she was like, "What a sit man you are" LOL. This episode just made me like Minami even more, really enjoyed the ep.
Aug 16, 2013 2:07 PM

Jun 2010
Even though language barrier is a bitch i couldnt stop laughing at her
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Dec 23, 2013 4:24 AM

Oct 2013
Not a f*cking love triangle, please...
Mar 30, 2014 7:21 AM

Aug 2013
Wow this episode might just be the best I've seen in any anime. To see this episode as a superficial misunderstanding humour thing would be a waste cause it's actually quite deep. It shows perfectly how difficult it is for foreigners coming to another country and struggling with the language.

It was crossing over into the realm of psychological genre at some point.

And when Minami finally deduced the meaning of what Akhisa said I actually let a few tears escape me. I never would have thought that THIS show about BAKAS would have such a deep meaningful thing that makes me cry.

It would be 100% perfect if not for the fact that Minami speaks English with a very strong Japanese accent which is just not how someone who's been living in Germany and isn't fluent in Japanese would speak but I guess they are limited by only having Japanese seiyuus so I can overlook that part.

Just raised my rating to a SOLID 9/10.
Mar 31, 2014 1:48 PM

Jul 2013
I thought it was really funny, especially her accent and "you are a shit man" LOL!

Awww, when she finally realised he was asking to be her friend, that was so sweet! <3
May 18, 2014 4:48 PM

Jun 2013
This episode was a refreshing episode that really made my heart warm. I love seeing how they all met in the past and their interactions at that time. Really interesting stuff. Love Akihisa and his baka nature even back then. Good stuff :D

Shimada, I hope you win this one. I really do.

EDIT: Japanese people should try to learn English a bit better.. I cringe whenever I hear them say a simple phrase like the one in this episode. "What a shit man you are."... HORRIBLE XD
May 30, 2014 3:06 AM

Mar 2014
Minami's background check!!!
hmm.. Minami is an innocent woman when he came to japan... That's nice!!
Akihisa with his sailor dress lol!!
"What's your bust size!?" -says from a pervert lol.
Ahh.. Akihisa Idiot as ever... (even in middle school.. I think he is an idiot too on his childhood..)
Same for the rest of the group... Still no changes ehh ... That's Nice :D
Damn is must be hard for minami...
Is he trying to speak german!? or is it another language!? (Oh its French !! Tu ne voudrais pas devenir mon amie... Dang Akihisa you got some knowledge!!)
Tu ne voudrais pas devenir mon amie? means = Could you become my Friend? ..
Minami talks english!!
What a Baka lol!!
Yuuji understand haha! nice!!
Baka speaks another language lol!! But he got some good intentions !!
Damn.. so kind!! Akihisa!! almost cried on the translation part.. (I am passionate.)
and that is why Minami fall in-love with Akihisa... :)
Good End!!!
Really Nice Episode !!!
AnimeLaver01Jun 7, 2014 10:04 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2014 6:26 AM

May 2009
Okay. This episode was really annoying. I'm from the Netherlands. Meaning I had to learn English, French AND German.
EVERYTHING WAS JUST WRONG.

Why the hell would he say "Tu NE voudrais PAS....?" that means you DON'T want to. Meaning he said something like "You don't want to be my friend?". If they meant it this way, the subbed version I saw was just bad.. really bad. The subs were "I want to be your friend" gierwhtijwhefksegsuerhgu@#%@!$#.

Another thing.. I didn't understand Minami AT ALL when she talked in English. Her sentences made my ears bleed.

Even though I'm not from Germany.. Germans MUST understand someone when they're talking in French. Obviously it was French.. Even if you don't know any words, you can still hear that it was a French sentence.

Okay enough wining from me, lolz. The episode was alright. I liked the "Minami in the past" thingy.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Aug 19, 2014 9:06 PM
Dec 2013
Zyukichan said:
Okay. This episode was really annoying. I'm from the Netherlands. Meaning I had to learn English, French AND German.

Why the hell would he say "Tu NE voudrais PAS....?" that means you DON'T want to. Meaning he said something like "You don't want to be my friend?". If they meant it this way, the subbed version I saw was just bad.. really bad. The subs were "I want to be your friend" gierwhtijwhefksegsuerhgu@#%@!$#.

Another thing.. I didn't understand Minami AT ALL when she talked in English. Her sentences made my ears bleed.

Even though I'm not from Germany.. Germans MUST understand someone when they're talking in French. Obviously it was French.. Even if you don't know any words, you can still hear that it was a French sentence.

Okay enough wining from me, lolz. The episode was alright. I liked the "Minami in the past" thingy.

The thing that really bothered me was when you said that Minami should know that Akihisa was speaking French. First, Minami grew up in Germany, learned German, and never knew Japanese until her second year. Second, German and French are two different languages. One is a romance language, the other is not. Besides, Minami found out that Akihisa was speaking in French at the end of the episode. The reason being, she made ONE trip to France when she was three, and only that one trip alone.
Aug 25, 2014 4:45 PM

Jul 2011
Aniwatcher154 said:
Zyukichan said:

The thing that really bothered me was when you said that Minami should know that Akihisa was speaking French. First, Minami grew up in Germany, learned German, and never knew Japanese until her second year. Second, German and French are two different languages. One is a romance language, the other is not. Besides, Minami found out that Akihisa was speaking in French at the end of the episode. The reason being, she made ONE trip to France when she was three, and only that one trip alone.

I hope you realize you're watching an anime with "Idiot" in the title. Don't sweat the details and stop trying to analyze it from head to toe, you lose the enjoyment factor. Just watch and try to have a good time!
Sep 10, 2014 8:05 PM

Aug 2013
Awwwwwwwwwn :)

At first, as a native french speaker, I thought that fucked up somewhere when he said ''Tu ne voudrais pas devenir mon amie?''. But of course, it was he who was an idiot.

Akihisa is such an idiot, but such a sweet innocent idiot. Not smooth at all though...

Anyway, I wonder where that kiss will go. After all, what triggered it was a misunderstanding. I fear that it can lead to nothing good... :/
Especially since it was right in front of Himeji face.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Oct 11, 2014 9:28 AM

Jul 2009
Gah, episodes like this gets me really emotional! It was perfect and the final scene (where she translated the sentence) almost made me cry. I love getting to know the characters better!

Good thing I have no knowledge of the french language, as it would've ruined the whole ending scene. I had no idea what he was saying, but I knew it was french.
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
Oct 30, 2014 1:21 PM

Sep 2014
This episode was so d'awwwww
Minami is best girl by far :3

Also, gratuitous German is always welcome.
Apr 3, 2015 8:46 AM

Jan 2010
Definitely the best episode of the season.
Final Fantasy VII is a shitty game.
Apr 13, 2015 7:48 AM
Nov 2010
That was a nice episode, especially when compared to those from this season so far.
Apr 21, 2015 4:28 AM

Aug 2014
as a continuation of Minami kissing scene in the previous episode, this time to uncover the reasons behind the meeting of members of the class 1D (unit fools) and the beginning of proximity Minami with Yoshii
Aug 7, 2015 9:26 AM

Dec 2014
Nice episode... So that is one of the reasons why Minami puts up with Akihisa's stupidity. :)
another flashback episode that i love. :)
Aug 18, 2015 12:06 AM

May 2015
gaaaaaah
they're delaying the inevitable drama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 2, 2016 10:53 PM

Aug 2007
Whaaa? Character development??

Loved Aki's first day in school outfit hahaaa
Dec 19, 2016 7:42 PM

Mar 2015
OP Song: 3/5

Can a idiot search a correct French sentence? But his effort is not a waste. You are the nice guy, Aki.

3.5/5
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

137 by Dywei »»
Apr 26, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 8, 2011

132 by Dywei »»
Apr 26, 8:30 AM

» A 3rd season?

SooKwang - Nov 6, 2011

9 by Saternates »»
Mar 3, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Sep 29, 2011

171 by Karva1 »»
Feb 10, 11:35 AM

Poll: » Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 22, 2011

98 by Karva1 »»
Feb 10, 11:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.