Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jun 12, 2011 4:17 AM

May 2010
Uh oh here comes another one who is jealous(I just knew it from the previous episode but never thought it did) !! O_O
Jun 12, 2011 6:14 AM

Jul 2010
kidright said:
I agree with you. for slice of life, 'ghost' is weird. i think menma is okay when she's only jintan's imagination so she cannot to interact with people and things. 'Ghost' is not realistic for 'slice of life', because when they tell it was ghost, everyone will accept everything.. :)

you must be confused...
that's why it's called slice of life...
its a slice.... of life... its just a slice, not the whole....
so it shouldn't be exactly like in RL
Jun 12, 2011 6:14 AM
Feb 2011
Psychodrake said:
5layer said:
le3ech said:
5layer said:
Kind of makes the previous episodes with nobody believing Jinta completely redundant now that Menma just went and picked items up in front of everyone. Not good. At all.
Ehh I want to say I kind of disagree?

I mean, she was always jumping on people and they could feel it, turning on lights, and always giving little hints throughout numerous episodes that she was there, I guess I felt like there was a lot of foreshadowing to her finally making an appearance.
There was a fair bit of drama revolving around the way everyone treated Jinta, them thinking he is insane for a lot of episodes, all of which could have been avoided had he just asked Menma to pick up a cup in one of the early episodes. So that's kind of what I had in mind in terms of making earlier developments and drama redundant and the actions taken by the characters being less realistic.

Yes, that annoyed me too somewhat. My theory is that she didn't want to let herself be known incase she disappeared or w/e and didn't want to upset the whole gang. Hopefully it'll give some sort of explanation for the low-profile she kept for 8 whole episodes, otherwise yes, those 8 episodes are slightly more pointless than they should be.

The show is still fantastic, the drama is well handled, but I don't like how the whole ghost thing is handled.

i think its more of a fact that jinta didn't tell her that the rest of thr group didn't believe he could see her, she simply thought (remember she is still fundementally a child) that everyone would believe jinta. she wasn't really in a situation until last episode where she had to reveal herself, it was the first time she really saw the entire group together show their true feelings about menmas presence.

i also jumped when menme effectivley went over the edge, defo thought something would happen. and jintan definatley doesn't want menme near the water due to the way she died. although the past version of menma waving from the shore threw me off,there has to be a memory somewhere there.
Jun 12, 2011 7:36 AM

Sep 2009
Orulyon said:
Letitbe said:
I hope Yukiatsu ends up with Poppo LOL
Nothing against it! This show could use some BL XD
But isn't JintaXYukiatsu hotter? ;D
Jun 12, 2011 11:36 AM

Nov 2008
I can't believe no one ever got worried when Jintan fell on the hill and more concerned about Menma dying the second time XDD I almost got a heart attack when Jintan fell on the hill. I thought he would die!!! One ghost is already enough! DX I hope no one will die in the end...

cottoncandy7 said:
robotaku said:
One thing I'd like to ask people here is, what's with that stare at Menma's feet right at the end?
To show that she doesn't have a reflection on the water. She is really a ghost.
I thought it was like this:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jun 12, 2011 5:15 PM

Jun 2008

If only that was true about her mind too.

Anaru should stop bothering herself with those losers. She will be second best thing in their eyes so she's better finding some other guy that will really appreciate her and have her as the queen of his heart.

I hope that by the end of the show she presents to them her knew boyfriend and it will be a new guy that loves her like crazy.
MonadJun 14, 2011 6:35 AM
Jun 13, 2011 7:54 AM
Oct 2010
Why so harem?
Jun 13, 2011 10:14 AM

Nov 2008
Linalee-Stratos said:

And Yukiatsu haters

Similiar when I see his 'lovers'

hoping for a good end .. and I dont see a Yukiatsu x Anaru end happening..
Jun 13, 2011 12:53 PM
Oct 2008
hahaha I just rewatched this ep and thought about it.

I don't think Popo was going to tell her 'I like you'

I think Popo might have asked 'Do you like me?' (Ore no koto..suki desu ka?)

I dunno. Maybe because he's like 'well both Jintan and Yukiatsu confessed to you and you both basically didn't answer any of them)

And has anyone noticed she kind of pays a lot of attention to Popo? Maybe just the fact that she always hugs him and rides around with him (but that can also be because he's the biggest)
Jun 13, 2011 4:10 PM

Jul 2010
Really emotional episode, I hope Anjou and Yukiatsu will get together, it's so sad for both of them to have unrequired love :(

I'm getting really curious how the anime will end, if Jintan will fulfill Menma's wish or that she'll continue to stay with him.... only 2 episodes left :(
Jun 13, 2011 8:35 PM

Jul 2009
DenjaX said:
I thought it was like this:

I thought of the same thing!

Absolutely loved this episode. I hate when I get to the end >:(
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jun 13, 2011 10:13 PM

May 2011
http://www.anohana.jp/story/10.html

Preview to next episode. Jinta jogs by and drops a letter in a mailbox at the "Honma" residence. It's obviously a message for either Menma's mom or brother for the fireworks display. nothing else in the preview. the childhood version of Jinta and Menma were chatting in the background not sure what they said.

It's obvious now that the Fireworks that were meant to save Jinta's mom are now meant to try and save Menma's mom. Hopefully it will also findi closure for some of the SPB dealing with their own pain.
Jun 13, 2011 10:21 PM

Nov 2007
Seriously if Yukiatsu and Naruko are a pair by the end of the series I will be pissed. First of all I'm a sucker for true love pairings and I fell that Naruko truly loves Jinta (even though he's not ready to reciprocate her feelings atm but I believe he will be eventually) and I don't want her to be with some cross dressing douche bag.

Also for a guy that's supposed to be so smart he sure can't see that his best friend is in love with him even though it's painfully obvious. I mean why else would Tsuruko put up with his shit?
Jun 13, 2011 11:44 PM

Oct 2010
Cirris said:
http://www.anohana.jp/story/10.html

Preview to next episode. Jinta jogs by and drops a letter in a mailbox at the "Honma" residence. It's obviously a message for either Menma's mom or brother for the fireworks display. nothing else in the preview. the childhood version of Jinta and Menma were chatting in the background not sure what they said.

It's obvious now that the Fireworks that were meant to save Jinta's mom are now meant to try and save Menma's mom. Hopefully it will also findi closure for some of the SPB dealing with their own pain.
I agree but also want to say that they are all going to troll us big time with all that #10 will reserve. It's obvious the preview focused only on one aspect whereas the other ones had many aspects of the segments to come in the next episode.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 13, 2011 11:55 PM
May 2011
Anohana always leaves me feeling somber. I don't know how I'm going to handle the final episode. :(

I know Yukiatsu is a jealous bastard, but I feel horrible for him. It was painful enough for him to lose Menma, can you imagine how bad he must feel knowing Jintan can see her? If one of my childhood friends died, I think I would sell my arms and legs for a chance to see them again, if only for a little while.
SanjimaruJun 13, 2011 11:58 PM
Jun 14, 2011 1:00 AM

Nov 2008
I really, really loved this episode ♥
So much stuff happened. But the most important is that everyone FINALLY believe in Menma. I fell sorry for Yukiatsu and Anaru though, It must be hard.
But I still don't approve of Yukiatsu dating her. And no it has nothing to do with shipping well maybe a little I mean, I don't think he genuinely likes her.
I wonder what was Poppo about to say to Menma? Maybe he confessed to her too that day? I wish it isn't the case.
And why can't Menma wright outside the secret base? maybe it has something to do with her death.
Jun 14, 2011 5:32 AM

Jul 2009
Akino said:

And why can't Menma wright outside the secret base? maybe it has something to do with her death.

Probably because it was important to her in life, so her ghost has a connection to it.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jun 14, 2011 10:51 AM

Aug 2010
Good episode but now they just created a sloppy love mess that they need to fix in two episodes (hopefully they do).
Jun 14, 2011 12:00 PM

Jan 2011
epiklow said:
hottbill said:

Hopeful speculation, I hate that bitch

What? Why is that, may I ask?
It seems rather out of the blue, since we hardly know much about her character. o_o;

She doesn't seem to add much to the story at all. She's the quiet Tsundere (minus the dere) that acts like a bitch every episode.
Jun 14, 2011 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
hottbill said:
epiklow said:
hottbill said:

Hopeful speculation, I hate that bitch

What? Why is that, may I ask?
It seems rather out of the blue, since we hardly know much about her character. o_o;

She doesn't seem to add much to the story at all. She's the quiet Tsundere (minus the dere) that acts like a bitch every episode.

I disagree.
You can't blame her for it. It's called bad writing.
Also the only ones who still struggling about Menma are Jinta and Yukiatsu. Everything else revolves around them. Anaru, Tsurumi and Poppo were almost fine with the situation. The two girls are in love with boys that can't let a dead girl go.

In Tsurumi case she didn't had much screentime because her problem is Yukiatsu. We had plenty of time to see his interaction with her. If it wasn't for her Yukiatsu would still be drowning in self pity while crossdressing as Menma.
Jun 15, 2011 7:35 AM

Apr 2011
Good episode. Only 2 more though...I wonder what'll happen in the end. My friend said it might be nice if maybe the others could see Menma. I think that'd be pretty cool too.

Menma's father is different from what I expected. I don't know why...I just expected him to be scary or something...like sort of forbidding and unapproachable.

As for how Menma died...this is my theory. Remember one of the previous episodes where Anaru slips and Jintan grabs her? There's the flashback that shows the shoe in the river and then Jintan says this to Anaru - "If that were to happen to you, too...with everything as it is...just like with Menma...". In another flashback, after Jintan runs out of the base, Menma runs after him. My theory is that she slipped the same way Anaru nearly did, but there was no-one to grab her, so she fell, probably hit her head on something, and drowned.

Haven't given much thought about who I want to end up together though.
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Jun 15, 2011 6:15 PM
Jun 2010
Jazzalyn said:
Good episode. Only 2 more though...I wonder what'll happen in the end. My friend said it might be nice if maybe the others could see Menma. I think that'd be pretty cool too.

Menma's father is different from what I expected. I don't know why...I just expected him to be scary or something...like sort of forbidding and unapproachable.

As for how Menma died...this is my theory. Remember one of the previous episodes where Anaru slips and Jintan grabs her? There's the flashback that shows the shoe in the river and then Jintan says this to Anaru - "If that were to happen to you, too...with everything as it is...just like with Menma...". In another flashback, after Jintan runs out of the base, Menma runs after him. My theory is that she slipped the same way Anaru nearly did, but there was no-one to grab her, so she fell, probably hit her head on something, and drowned.

I think you might be on to something... and if this is the case, then maybe Menma's wish is to tell Jintan what she wanted to tell him after she caught up to him (which unfortunately didn't happen).

Two more episodes! :3
Jun 16, 2011 12:28 AM
Aug 2008
damn this is so stupid WHY JINTAN i know he love her but why care so much for menma she dead dead dead dead fucking DEAD damnit
you cant not have a life with a dead person
Just move on in your fucking life she will not revive
if he want to love someone go with anjou she cute and a LIFE you know real person your can touche well 2D but real for him just wake up your fucking douched memma is DEAD DEAD and she ugly
sorry for menma fan but i can take it anymore
Jun 16, 2011 1:05 AM

Oct 2010
Kira_Yamato619 said:
damn this is so stupid WHY JINTAN i know he love her but why care so much for menma she dead dead dead dead fucking DEAD damnit
if he want to love someone go with anjou she cute and a LIFE you know real person your can touche well 2D but real for him just wake up your fucking douched memma is DEAD DEAD
Finally someone who expressed my rant for Jintan to man up. It's pretty much how I though while not really expressing it. I feel you bro, cause I feel the same way towards Jintan x Anjou in regards to Jintan.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 16, 2011 10:25 AM

Jan 2011
Only 2 more episodes till this is over! I have a feeling when that rocket flies, tears will flow.
Jun 16, 2011 1:14 PM

Apr 2011
Kira_Yamato619 said:
if he want to love someone go with anjou she cute and a LIFE you know real person your can touche well 2D but real for him just wake up your fucking douched memma is DEAD DEAD and she ugly
sorry for menma fan but i can take it anymore

Someone hates Menma a lot. I agree with chu though Jitan needs to get with Anjou and get over Menma.
Jun 16, 2011 5:32 PM

Mar 2011
Yukiatsu is surely just playing with Anjou, he's emotionaly unstable!

Bah! Poppo should asked what he was going to ask when he had the chance! He already has regrets with Menma, he doesn't need more!

Looking forward to next ep. This has been a nice little series!
Jun 17, 2011 12:00 AM

Apr 2011
kaypeazee said:
Jazzalyn said:

I think you might be on to something... and if this is the case, then maybe Menma's wish is to tell Jintan what she wanted to tell him after she caught up to him (which unfortunately didn't happen).

Two more episodes! :3

But then she wouldn't need everyone if she just wanted to tell Jintan something. Unless she just wanted the others there as well, like she wanted them to know.

(I thought the fireworks were her wish though...).

Well, two more episodes to go. I hope we find out about the flower. And also why in the past Menma asked them to meet but to not tell Jintan (I think that was it - Yukiatsu and Tsuruko were talking and Yukiatsu said Tsuruko was forgetting something important and I think it was that Menma said not to tell Jintan about the meeting or something.)

Well, going to look for Episode 10. I don't expect there's a subbed version up yet though...
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Jun 18, 2011 2:29 AM

Jan 2011
I thought the reaction of the other four to the floating plate and cookies and the book in the air was a good explanation as to why we had to wait till episode 8 for Menma to reveal herself. They were seriously weirded out by it, even after Jintan telling them she was there for all that time.

As I said in a comment a few episodes ago---ghosts don't age and mature, Menma has. I think there's room for all sorts of things to happen in the next two episodes. And I still think both Poppo and Tsuruko are hiding something (but perhaps different things).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jun 21, 2011 12:23 AM

Mar 2010
I don't know about the rest of you who watched this episode, and had the same reaction I did when Menma was on the bridge and the splash of water suddenly appeared, but my heart LITERALLY paused for a second. This is just too much for me. I can already tell! I might hold off on these last two episodes for sanity purposes... (TT.TT) Looking forward to the next!
Jun 21, 2011 9:20 AM

Aug 2009
This show. I want to cry every episode, but it won't bring me to the point of tears like it did in the first episode. But I have a bad feeling that these last two episodes will have me running for a box of tissues.

I also don't know how to feel about Yukiatsu anymore. I want to like him, but then I remember how creepy he was in episode four... But when the water splashed under the bridge, I was so ready to start crying. And the part about the koi being all wavy. I dunno why, but I really thought that it was going to be something about Jintan's mom.
Jun 27, 2011 10:37 PM

Oct 2008
Aww Tsuruko. :(
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 20, 2011 9:43 PM

Dec 2009
Good episode all round! And, my heart stopped a little when Jintan ran up to Menma and stopped her from going into the river to catch the carp - he thought he was going to lose her again :'C

But, I also feel reeeeeeeeeeally badly for Tsuruko. I guess she really does (did?) like Yukiatsu in the end. But, damn him for flirting with Anaru!

Anyways, unto the last episodes. I think I need to pack tissues, though.........
Jul 25, 2011 11:49 PM

Jun 2011
i really just want to get Tsuruko's story Dx
Sep 27, 2011 8:16 AM

Aug 2011
I feel strange about this episode.
I dislike that Menma's existance is no longer ambiguous. Now that everyone sees a tray of muffins floating, the show loses the possibility that Menma is only in Jintan's mind - she's definitely not just a hallucination or fantasy. That's what I had really liked about Menma and Jintan's interactions - it was always entirely possible that she wasn't really there.
Now it's just a ghost story instead of something more.
I still love the show, I just was surprised by this turn, and honestly, I'm not too happy about it.
Oct 30, 2011 9:10 PM

Aug 2009
narut0rulz said:
i really just want to get Tsuruko's story Dx

Me too! Yukiatsu OPEN THY EYES.
Not that I have anything against Anjo but Tsuruko goes with Yukiatsu.

The last scene was so nice <3
Why are girls in anime so dumb?
Nov 19, 2011 3:27 PM

Jul 2011
Seems like I was wrong last discussion, the mother disagreed instead of the father.....
That was unexpected.
Nov 19, 2011 5:43 PM

Jul 2010
Great episode.

Yukiatsu x Anaru? Not liking it. I loved her and Jin-tan.
I feel bad for Tsuruko.. You can tell she cares for Yukiatsu and all she sees is him warming up to other girls :(

Nice development of Yukiatsu as he gets on his knees for Menma's father. Interesting.

WOAH. Paranoid much Jin-tan? I guess he would be. All the guilt and emotions from that day when Menma died come along with being together with Menma now. It's so painful, but he has to let Menma go. Otherwise, his whole life will be haunted by her death.
This scene was deathly haunting for me. Just seeing Jin-tan not able to look ahead and leave the past behind scared me. He always said, "This is alright.", trying to justify what is happening so he won't have to lose Menma.

I love this show; it has so many undertones and hidden ideas. It's really a great plot.

5/5 - As usual :)

P.S. - What's the big fuss about Menma xD? I don't think she's 'beautiful' (quoting Yukiatsu). She's adorable, funny, has a great personality, but she's not "pretty". Maybe it's moe.. xD. (But even with moe, I thought it was more epitomized by Mikuru from Haruhi Suzumiya [Do I have to explain why. xD], not someone who's tiny and adorable [more like a little girl]). Eh. Maybe it's a 'sub-category' of moe xDD. Lawl.

dervinator said:
I dislike that Menma's existance is no longer ambiguous.

I see what you mean.. I felt the same way because I find too that that aspect made the show have a sense of reality and going into how the subconscious mind can construct whole individuals xD. But really, I don't think the show would have had a satisfying ending if it was like that. Then again, if it WAS a show that focused on the ambiguity of Menma that would be great. The show is about bonds between friends, and an ambiguous Menma would not be able to portray that theme well.
fishergirl16Nov 19, 2011 5:47 PM
Dec 1, 2011 12:11 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Surely not Anaru and Yukiatsu?? The guy is emotionally unstable.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 1, 2011 7:59 PM

Aug 2011
guess he finally realized what happens to menma if he grants her wish. good episode but not as great as the last one :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2011 7:46 AM

Nov 2008
dervinator said:
I feel strange about this episode.
I dislike that Menma's existance is no longer ambiguous. Now that everyone sees a tray of muffins floating, the show loses the possibility that Menma is only in Jintan's mind - she's definitely not just a hallucination or fantasy. That's what I had really liked about Menma and Jintan's interactions - it was always entirely possible that she wasn't really there.
Now it's just a ghost story instead of something more.
I still love the show, I just was surprised by this turn, and honestly, I'm not too happy about it.

I totally agree with you. Good episode.
Dec 17, 2011 12:32 AM

Dec 2007
There has to be a reason that she can only write in her journal. I wasn't surprised that the mother was the one that stopped the firework creation, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jinta did something like that in the next two episodes.
Dec 28, 2011 3:46 AM

Dec 2010
Anaru doesn't know how to handle boys, about Yukiatsu sure knows how to handle girls... I like that about him. He may seems like the least good character of the group, but he's getting more and more favorite to me. He might be egoistical, even much of a narcissist, but... Despite all of his bad characteristics, he's not giving upon his personality, neither he's trying to fix it. He's just trying to deal with life in his own way. Despite most of you hate him, he doesn't deserve all of your contempt.
Anyway, I hate that we didn't get to know what Poppo wanted to ask Menma. Yukiatsu is right that he and Anaru are kindred spirits, I thought on this long ago. And Tsuruko... she with Poppo, seemed like support characters from the beginning, and I really get to think that they'll end up as such ones =\
Jan 5, 2012 9:52 PM

May 2009
That hug was actually really touching!
I ship Yukiatsu x Anjou though.

Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.

Feb 14, 2012 2:48 PM

Jan 2012
wow Yukiatsu & Anaru!
but i feel bad for Tsuruko..tsk tsk

2 more episodes.. T.T
Mar 18, 2012 12:51 AM
Mar 2010
Please tell me Yukiatsu and Anaru don't happen.... I will not forgive this anime if such things happen. I still want Anaru to end up with Jinta. It's not like Jinta can really ever be with Menma.

But besides that, I cried. Again. Omg stop, you silly anime! It's 4 in the morning & I have to get up at 7.... But now I desperately want to watch the last two episodes... but I'm going to wait -_- I'm sleep deprived. Great anime, though! Wish it was longer. Knowing I'm almost done makes me sad.

And did you guys catch the part (I'm sure you did lol) where she said that she can't write in notebooks back at home? There must be something about that notebook. When she was carving into the wood at their secret base she was like, "Whoa, I can write here too!" Hmmmmm, makes me wonder.

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Jul 15, 2012 7:43 AM

Aug 2010
Things sure got more serious.. Feel sad for Tsuruko really, hope Yukiatsu actually likes her back! And wow that one moment of Poppo's seriousness, I really wonder what's that all about. Dont tell me he also likes Menma?!

But finally! Finally Menma does something that actually proves she's there and not only Jintan's imagination!
Jul 24, 2012 6:12 AM

May 2012
Damn what an episode! It's nice they got the firework idea going, but I wonder what will happen after it!
Aug 15, 2012 8:59 PM

Apr 2009
Tsurukooooo DDD:
Oct 4, 2012 2:32 AM

Apr 2010
Yukiatsu x Anjou is one of the worst pairing I've ever seen, I hope it doesn't happen, it would ruin the ending.
Anyway, great episode, I love the last scene.
5/5
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1236 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

387 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

422 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

230 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 19, 2011

217 by NillyPC »»
Apr 22, 6:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.