Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2007 11:51 AM

Apr 2007
<strong>THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.</strong><br />----------------------------------------
<br /><br />final episode! hope there's season two because there were more questions to be answered... especially why did he kill the old man at the end...
Jul 27, 2007 10:30 AM

Jun 2007
I enjoyed the series. Not one of BONES best, but still a decent show. The ending definetly left room for a sequel.
The cake is a lie
Jul 29, 2007 6:55 PM

Nov 2006
Who's the father of kiriko baby? Hayato??? They had never a relationship.
-
Jul 29, 2007 6:59 PM

Nov 2006
shinjikasuka said:

ya i was wondering that too. what the heck is this black vision.

Jul 30, 2007 1:51 AM

May 2007
Apparently the series itself is a semi prequel see [ulr=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_Man#Anime] here [/url]. Black Vision stuff teis more in to the original works.
Aug 6, 2007 11:02 AM

Mar 2007
Well...that was certainly an interesting ending to this season, as there obviously has to be a second season.
MasterChief said:
there were more questions to be answered... especially why did he kill the old man at the end...

Looking forward to it, had that good dark mysterious side that was very entertaining

Dibs on Ishida!
Aug 15, 2007 3:23 AM

Aug 2007
shinjikasuka said:

I'm pretty sure the kid was conceived in episode ten- they shared the tent together after Hayato's "I am myself" comment. Though you're right, there sure wasn't much of a "relationship" per say before that.
Mar 21, 2008 11:31 AM
Mar 2008
Finally finished this series....

As to why Hayato killed the old man....it was obvious Hayato turned evil and the old man knew too much, and was dangerous.

If you wait after the ED....you will see Hayato turn completely evil.....easily my favorite scene of the entire series
Sep 20, 2008 8:17 AM

Mar 2008
TheBastid said:
Finally finished this series....

As to why Hayato killed the old man....it was obvious Hayato turned evil and the old man knew too much, and was dangerous.

If you wait after the ED....you will see Hayato turn completely evil.....easily my favorite scene of the entire series

well as the former skull man said to him "to defeat evil, one must be of greater evil" as so he said... also is the anime Cyborg009 related to this, coz i see skull man as the evil villain (skull) in the anime, i dunno, it kinda get's me connected to it..
tounoyaboysSep 20, 2008 8:22 AM
Jan 8, 2009 12:15 PM

Nov 2008
WTF with the last episode?! It looked like ordinary, cheap production!

Okey.. 1..2..3..

I'm angry, very. Well i didn't watched its till very end, but last minutes saved The skull man from being taged with only 4 or 5 points.
Jun 13, 2009 11:32 PM

Sep 2008
He turned evil because like he said that he will reborn.He left his own personality to become completely the Skull Man.This is the way I understood this.
Jun 14, 2009 9:56 AM

Nov 2008
The serie was opk, but nothing more than that. The best thing is norio wakamoto at the end of the this last episode xD
Aug 15, 2009 6:53 AM

Apr 2009
WTF kind of non-ending was that?
Alas86Aug 15, 2009 6:57 AM
Dec 24, 2009 11:49 AM
Feb 2008
Holy crap! That was pretty out there! I was kinda mad that they ended like that with the whole epilogue and there was still stuff I was confused about. so I did some digging and I found a pretty big bombshell for people unfamiliar with Skull Man's previous works (like me).

This series is just a prequel for the Cyborg 009 show!

http://img188.imageshack.us/i/sameoutfit.png/

It's clear that Hayato/Skull Man was refitted as a Cyborg and is The Skull villain from the 009 show.

http://img96.imageshack.us/i/revealationskullman.png/

This picture shows Kiriko's and Hayatao's kid has the same hair style as Joe aka Cyborg 009. He's also half Japanese. I know Hayato was Japanese but Kirko wasn't I don't think. The fact that he's a delinquent in the beginning of 009 is probably in reference to having no father figure in his life (Hayato not being around and all).

As for the overall plot I'm still kinda confused. From the gist of it. Hayatao's uncle killed his friend who was a researcher who discovered the Skull weapon and other tech which was taken by the uncle and turned into bioweapons (i.e. the monsters). Of course his own son took it too far and well we get the ending of the show. The priest I believe was the actual Tatsuo Kagura and was raised by the father who saved him.
Apr 12, 2010 5:09 PM
Jul 2008
thatguy said:
Holy crap! That was pretty out there! I was kinda mad that they ended like that with the whole epilogue and there was still stuff I was confused about. so I did some digging and I found a pretty big bombshell for people unfamiliar with Skull Man's previous works (like me).

This series is just a prequel for the Cyborg 009 show!

http://img188.imageshack.us/i/sameoutfit.png/

It's clear that Hayato/Skull Man was refitted as a Cyborg and is The Skull villain from the 009 show.

http://img96.imageshack.us/i/revealationskullman.png/

This picture shows Kiriko's and Hayatao's kid has the same hair style as Joe aka Cyborg 009. He's also half Japanese. I know Hayato was Japanese but Kirko wasn't I don't think. The fact that he's a delinquent in the beginning of 009 is probably in reference to having no father figure in his life (Hayato not being around and all).

As for the overall plot I'm still kinda confused. From the gist of it. Hayatao's uncle killed his friend who was a researcher who discovered the Skull weapon and other tech which was taken by the uncle and turned into bioweapons (i.e. the monsters). Of course his own son took it too far and well we get the ending of the show. The priest I believe was the actual Tatsuo Kagura and was raised by the father who saved him.

Dang. Man I will DEFINITELY will watch cyborg 009!!! in the near future!
Why kill the detective!!!
Jul 17, 2010 5:40 PM
May 2009
missdeep said:
shinjikasuka said:

I'm pretty sure the kid was conceived in episode ten- they shared the tent together after Hayato's "I am myself" comment. Though you're right, there sure wasn't much of a "relationship" per say before that.

Yes there was the shot of kiriko comes out of the tent holding a cover over her naked body, meaning hayatao hit dat
Jul 20, 2010 4:53 AM

Aug 2007
D4wGhosty said:
Yes there was the shot of kiriko comes out of the tent holding a cover over her naked body, meaning hayatao hit dat

He totally did. Aww yeah.
Apr 13, 2011 2:17 AM

Mar 2011
There's no need on sequel. Sequel will just ruin the nice ending.

Apr 6, 2012 12:40 PM

Apr 2011
Cyborg 009 is related? Hmmm I wonder if we get A Dark Vader moment. "I am your father"!
Jun 29, 2012 8:22 PM

May 2012
This episode made this anime awesome, for a while there I was thinking of giving it a 6 but thanks to the ending I'm giving it an 8. I always love it when the good guy turns evil.
Aug 17, 2012 11:25 AM

Apr 2012
missdeep said:
D4wGhosty said:

He totally did. Aww yeah.
And where is this scene? I've scrolled through the entire tenth episode and didn't find this shot anywhere. So, did he really hit dat?
Dec 21, 2012 3:01 PM

Nov 2011
Tbh, one thing that confuses me near the ending scene is why his mask turned from white to black randomly. Rather, it's not random but just seemed to be a lack of reason I've yet to discover.

Well, this series is underrated that's for sure. But ultimately, it's 6/10 for me. I liked some of the themes presented but wasn't just feeling too well for the characters, except the title character - Skull man.
Jan 21, 2013 5:40 AM

Jun 2012
How confusing it got.. Oh well, it was enjoyable to watch.
episode- 4/5.
series- likely between a 5 and 7.

May 23, 2013 4:57 PM

May 2012
Pretty decent ending, quite some awesome action and well in the end everything was pretty sad, it's a sad ending... pumped with action but still pretty sad as everyone died especially combined with that song in the end it sure made up for a good ending!

The epilogue was interesting, what I especially found interesting was that Kiriko was holding a baby, it must be hers and Yoshio right? Or well that what they're implying. I did found that ending quite interesting, is he alive or not who knows? A good ending in general.

In the end I quite liked this series although some parts did bother me quite a lot but well it was still rather enjoyable! 6/10
Sep 28, 2013 10:34 PM

Jun 2013
I am still dont understand why that mask turn become stone after hayato death????

and why people of the city turn into monster too ??????
Dec 19, 2013 1:55 AM

Sep 2009
Not one of BONES best but it was alright.

I was quite happy with the end until the mask turned to stone and the epilogue of Hayato turning evil. I mean it just raises more questions on top of the questions yet to be answered.

Like whats the process of turning people into monsters?
Or what's the deal with all these organizations clashing?
The biggest question of all is what is the connection with the monsters and the mask?
There's just so much back story to be covered that wasn't.

A lot is left to the imagination with little to go on, so yeah. Not bad but not one of their greatest.
Jul 21, 2014 12:55 PM

Jan 2012
LordLagann said:
Not one of BONES best but it was alright.

I was quite happy with the end until the mask turned to stone and the epilogue of Hayato turning evil. I mean it just raises more questions on top of the questions yet to be answered.

Like whats the process of turning people into monsters?
Or what's the deal with all these organizations clashing?
The biggest question of all is what is the connection with the monsters and the mask?
There's just so much back story to be covered that wasn't.

A lot is left to the imagination with little to go on, so yeah. Not bad but not one of their greatest.

See, you get it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2014 11:50 AM

Aug 2012
Having known this was a prequel to Cyborg 009 made it a little easier to understand.

The ending was pretty great and out of the ordinary. Though I think Hayato's character progression from Good Guy to Bad Guy had no buildup and was pretty much an Instant change which is unfortunate. But for a few lines of dialogue from Yoshio it'd be even more confusing.

I find it funny that alot were confused on the origin of the baby. I totally realized how it came to be immediately from the tent scene.

Overall this was a good series but it certainly could of done with explaining a few more things.
Aug 8, 2014 3:11 PM

Jan 2014
blaizevincent said:

Overall this was a good series but it certainly could of done with explaining a few more things.

Yea,i'm kinda confused about some things but...
Not bad after all.
Jan 29, 2015 12:52 AM

Jul 2013
What a great ending. I agree with you all in that many things could have been made clearer but what a sweet tie in with cyborg 009....he turned evil in the end, it was really him....wow. Would have liked hayatos final words related to talk of his soul right before skull man consumes him. And I wanna see what makes skull man so evil now that hes been fully reborn...I want(...ed?) more.

I watched a good amount of cyborg 009 in the early 00s during the toonami era but I dont remember it being overtly dark...might go back. Damn I love when a narrative comes together.
Apr 4, 2015 1:13 PM

Nov 2009
The last ep had quite a few confusing things about it... Like, why did Maya call the Skull Man "brother"? Doesn't that make Hayato or Yoshio (depending on whether she realized that the person wearing the mask changed) another illegitimate son of Kuroshio Gouzo? What about Kagura Tatsuo then? This all is very confusing. I wish they didn't skip out of explanations so much.

Also, the penchant to just throw important changes on your viewers abruptly and without any buildup is annoying as hell. First, there was that stupid Hayato/Kiriko tent scene (I mean, till then he didn't show even the slightest bit of interest in her in that way, plus the woman he loved, Nami, has just died, and then, all of a sudden, he's abruptly tapping that girl who looks more like his little brother than anything? that just doesn't make sense). And of course, Hayato abruptly turning evil. Was it because the mask consumed him? Was it the reason it turned black? All we can is just guess as nothing is confirmed and this is so damn annoying.

Overall, 7/10. Wanted to give it 6/10 because of all those unanswred questions but I'm feeling generous atm.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 1, 2019 4:36 AM

Dec 2015
Well, the bombastic last episodes seemed a bit too "clashing" with the slow atmospherical main chunk of the series but everything wrapped up nicely together (and with something else from Ishinomori, surprisingly). Too bad the technical department went a bit down for this last episode.

I really don't understand all the questions above and the "obligatory need" for a continuation, with all those hints toward Cyborg009.

4/5

Classic "old" mix of mysterious avenger, scientific conspiration, and occultism for a well thought-out hommage to Ishinomori with a nice 2000s late-night "mature" varnish. The music is discrete but it is an advantage to set this kind of atmosphere. Design-wise, it succeeds to have a certain "old" look while smelling modern enough.
I was expecting KamenRider and got Cyborg009 links instead. Funny.

Score: 7/10

Special mention for the horribly litteral translation from english that the french "kyokai-fansub" delivered.

====
October 14, 2019
@lihle808 If I remember well, the show insists on showing the hero and the young journalist passing a night together not long before its conclusion.
The hairs colour is also pointing at that.
The clear intention was to set up Joe (the baby and also future Cyborg009 main hero) and the Black Hand's boss as tragical "robotized" father/son ennemies in their future conflict.

October 15, 2019
lihle808 said:
Was it the fireplace scene or before then?

That's the fireplace scene I received as such. I can't give you the episode reference though, as I only saw the show once during the last Christmas vacations).

====
February 22, 2021
@FMmatron Yes, I had no problem with this scifi fantasy aspect, but the total overthrow of the "balance" was a bit disconcerting.
Glad you appreciated it.
Rei_IIIFeb 22, 2022 6:45 AM
Oct 13, 2019 1:41 PM

Oct 2015
That was a good ending.

I'm glad Reina survived, and it seems like she is Shinjou's assistant too. But mostly what was more surprising was Hayato's true identity, that he Tatsuo all along. It kinda does make sense a bit, and I think that mask opened up his memories. I think he was involved in the war, and those memories he saw were his instead of Kanzaki. Maya did call him her brother before killing her, and it also explains why Maya's father was so attached to Hayato so much and protected him. It must've been some force of a bond between father and son. I think the mask displayed his dark side and that is why he decided to kill Kyouichirou, I think it's because he knew his true identity and wanted to erase any trail. As for the baby held by Kiriko, I doubt that is hers. I think Nami was the one that left the baby, if you recall she did mention it to Hayato, and the woman that she worked for was the one that took it out her hands at the end. It wouldn't make sense for her to have a baby out of the blue, and I doubt they had intercourse. The shown would've hinted something, or else I'm wrong it was just a piece of shit of a show, I hope not.

Animation was good, along with the visual style. The op was amazing, the plot had some minor glitches that would extend this already long post, so I won't mention some of them. But it was a good show nonetheless. It only needed a sharp studio and a 2cour segment, that's all to explain thing properly. It was rushed and certainly didn't care about viewers.

6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 14, 2019 9:07 PM

Oct 2015
Rei_III said:
Well, the bombastic last episodes seemed a bit too "clashing" with the slow atmospherical main chunk of the series but everything wrapped up nicely together (and with something else from Ishinomori, surprisingly). Too bad the technical department went a bit down for this last episode.

I really don't understand all the questions above and the "obligatory need" for a continuation, with all those hints toward Cyborg009.

4/5

Classic "old" mix of mysterious avenger, scientific conspiration, and occultism for a well thought-out hommage to Ishinomori with a nice 2000s late-night "mature" varnish. The music is discrete but it is an advantage to set this kind of atmosphere. Design-wise, it succeeds to have a certain "old" look while smelling modern enough.
I was expecting KamenRider and got Cyborg009 links instead. Funny.

Score: 7/10

Special mention for the horribly litteral translation from english that the french "kyokai-fansub" delivered.

====
@lihle808 If I remember well, the show insists on showing the hero and the young journalist passing a night together not long before its conclusion.
The hairs colour is also pointing at that.
The clear intention was to set up Joe (the baby and also future Cyborg009 main hero) and the Black Hand's boss as tragical "robotized" father/son ennemies in their future conflict.
I see.

Your point does makes sense. But the show was so vague about it that I missed it.

But which ep is it, ep 10? Because from 11 onwards things get intense. Was it the fireplace scene or before then?

If it's before then, it doesn't make sense since she was injured from the ep 09 incident. Still I think your point makes sense, but the show failed for me to show the interpersonal side of their encounter. I guess after all they didn't care about that stuff, and only cared as you've said about the set up for Joe.

Thanks again for making things a bit clearer!

Oct 16, 2019 4:08 AM

Oct 2015
Rei_III said:

That's the fireplace scene I received as such. I can't give you the episode reference though, as I only saw the show once during the last Christmas vacations).
I see.

But the show definitely did a bad job to depict the nature of that scene. It came off as being an ass pull to some of us. But i will take your fact.

Thanks again for taking your time.

Feb 8, 2022 1:03 PM

Nov 2016
Rei_III said:

Well, the series already established some sci-fi mutant people ala X-Men. But yeah, things escalated a bit.

I do liked it, though. Hayato becoming the Skull Man and the prequel connection to Cyborg 009 were nice twists. So preexisting expectations were subverted in a positive way.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 29, 2022 8:24 AM

Feb 2020
This series is full of nonsense and plot holes, tries to run only on atmosphere alone. It did have a intriguing in first half, but overall still not worth it because, second half didnot explain anything instead pull out random stupid plot point out of their ass. Non of it make sence. I expect it to atleast end decently, but that also was too much to ask. I guess the makers never cared about the plot as long as they can somehow kill a lot of character to provide gratification.

Well, atleast I guess we know why Kiriko was sleeping naked previously in mountain. But that only made my opinion about the series worser.

Tbh i should have expected this when i saw the that cheap cgi live action prequal which also didnot make any sense.
AdampkMar 29, 2022 8:33 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Skullman Episode 1 Discussion

MasterChief - May 6, 2007

22 by FMmatron »»
Feb 5, 2022 4:05 PM

Poll: » The Skull Man Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2012

4 by Rei_III »»
Jan 1, 2019 4:06 AM

Poll: » The Skull Man Episode 11 Discussion

MasterChief - Jul 16, 2007

6 by Rei_III »»
Jan 1, 2019 3:56 AM

Poll: » The Skull Man Episode 10 Discussion

vansonbee - Apr 6, 2012

5 by Rei_III »»
Dec 31, 2018 3:23 PM

Poll: » The Skull Man Episode 9 Discussion

vansonbee - Apr 5, 2012

4 by Rei_III »»
Dec 31, 2018 1:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.