Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Feb 8, 2018 5:42 AM

Aug 2015
That was great! I was in awe when they revealed it was Makoto himself all along.

I wonder if the whole reincarnation thing and the angel was even real or something in Makoto's head.

9/10
The only opinion that should matter to you is yours.
Feb 16, 2018 3:38 AM

Jan 2014
well, that was messed up. seeing his crush go to love hotel, and seeing his mother out of that at the same time. the pressure was heavy.
Mar 20, 2018 8:05 PM

Jul 2015
That was a very good movie, the idea was super interesting and it delivered, really touching.
Aug 11, 2018 10:28 AM

Dec 2015
Well, this was an interesting little story. I enjoyed most of it even though I felt at times that the animation wasn't up to movie standards. The story too was a bit sloppy at times, and the voice acting was more or less okay. Overall, this was an above average anime film with an interesting twist to it.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 14, 2018 10:24 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I'm actually impressed at the revelation of his original sin. What a twist. His soul wasn't somebody else's soul placed on the body of Makoto, but it was actually Makoto's very same soul all along. The last 30 minutes of this movie were really good and breathtaking, but the drama at the first parts of the movie made me feel uneasy as I watched this.

This gets an 8/10 from me. Really long movie, but as I mentioned previously, the last 30 minutes were really good and I'm satisfied with the conclusion, hence it delivered. So it was really worth watching it till the end.
Dec 29, 2018 2:41 AM

Dec 2018
This one hit me so bad. In the starting I thought it was gonna be kinda boring as the animation kinda looks low. Not sure about the animation but the story was amazing. One of the best maybe.

A lot of people claim to see the ending coming but I would it was one of the most unpredictable ones.

It is a beautiful anime and also a deep message.
Feb 6, 2019 11:31 PM

May 2017
Eeh I don't get his hate on the mom, he saw her having an affair big deal jfc that was rather so unrealistic, would've justified it if the show implied Makoto to be extremely mama's boy but the show failed to imply that so it turns as a shallow subplot

Hiroka had a sudden fetish of destroying beautiful things wtf that was bad progress from a realistic matured materialistic JK b*tch to suddenly a crazy naive girl with a weird fetish

6/10
Apr 21, 2019 9:04 PM

Nov 2013
I watched this movie again this evening. I've watched it many times before. But each time I pick up something I'd missed on previous viewings.

But this time, I watched it as a reminder of why I'm staying alive.

This year's not been so good. You see, I'd been planning a move to Japan, making trips and researching business opportunities there. But this year, the air fares doubled. And short term rental housing went ballistic. The budget would have been more than double what we spent in 2017. So we had no choice but to cancel our plans.

That, and the realization that Japan doesn't want an old man and a middle aged woman with a teenage daughter. All of my efforts to make friends there and to get our family moved there became less and less realistic as time went on.

This year, I came to the realization that I decided too late. Two of my friends made the choice 40 years ago and are living blissfully in Shinjuku and Kawasaki. I met with them in June and July of 2017.

But I'm finding it's maybe too late for me. Plus we don't have any money. Our government pretty much asset-stripped us over the past 20 years (property taxes) and I'm working under the table to get income to supplement SS to pay those taxes.

My country's lost its collective mind and I want to move to Japan so badly it pains me for every week I must remain in the belly of Hell itself. But everything I ever earned and worked for is here (albeit under threat of confiscation).

Lately, I've been feeling that there is no further for me to go. That I've reached the end of the road in life. Nothing to look forward to.. nothing but a possible SWAT raid in the middle of the night at some point. All the great and wonderful hopes of a life in Japan for my retirement years are pretty much gone. It's just a slow grind earning a living not quite legally, and hoping to stay under the radar. It's beginning to become a drudgery. Hope and dreams are what drives us to continue, even if things are not looking good at the moment. I remember my father's dying words more than two decades ago: "If I don't have my dreams, I have nothing."

So I watched "Colorful" again tonight, to remind me that I have to stay alive for the sake of my wife and daughter. That they depend on me in many ways and that I am obligated to finish my 'mission' in life.

If I were ever to be so 'fortunate' as to be reborn as Makoto Kobayashi, I would be the happiest kid in Tokyo. Oh well, I can dream...
May 13, 2019 2:12 PM
Jul 2018
I was very disappointed when the camera switched from the first-person narrative to a regular one; all the mean stuff Kobayashi said and all the responses he received could have been so much more effective and personal if said straight to the audience's face. It really is a shame, considering numerous observations were spot-on and quite relatable even when not told straight to "us" - what a wasted potential.
May 25, 2019 10:40 AM

Apr 2018
The whole hotpot scene, beautiful.
I was wondering why Makoto's family was being so affectionate to him. Just after the suicide attempt, that's okay, but they were worried about him all the time, and that kinda pissed me off. Then they played that painful flashback and it all fit perfectly. Makoto's actions, and those of the people around him.
I love how they gave a moment for Purapura, that was sweet too.
This is something I'd recommend everybody to watch, regardless of whether they are into anime or not.
"I'm alive." Makes me feel thankful for what I have.
Definitely rewatching this to understand Makoto better. Hell, it's not just Makoto, even Hiroka and the other girl who was bullied.
Isekai for the brain, CGDCT for the heart
Yuri for the pain and seiyuus for the soul.

Dec 18, 2019 4:00 PM

Aug 2017
Under-rated movie. Even if things get rough you gotta keep at it.
Mar 11, 2020 9:46 AM

Nov 2019
Average movie. 5/10
Apr 24, 2020 7:30 PM

Jan 2010
So...If your life has hit rock bottom, attempted suicide is apparently a valid reset button? Despite the film's message of discarding thoughts of death and continuing to live life, no matter how screwed up it is, Makoto still managed to get his life together though suicide, in addition to apparently fixing his family as well. Also, despite being bullied heavily in the past, where did the bullies go? If I remember right, they were in the next class over or something, but they should have still been in the same building, so it's weird that he's just left alone.

Colorful seems to hate its female characters, going out of its way to torment the mother and making Hiroka come across as somewhat sociopathic. It's also been a while since I've seen a female character be thankful for almost being raped, let alone giving thanks for the act somehow making her a better person. I think the last time I saw something like that was in a certain anime about space vampires, and the circumstances surrounding that were just as head scratching then as they were here.

I suppose Makoto's actions throughout the film made sense, as he subconsciously hated his family and everyone around him. Still, he seemed to go out of his way to make himself more miserable, which I guess is understandable for someone who probably hated himself as well. The film could be made more interesting if his interactions with Purapura were all in his head, and this was some way of self-counseling, meaning he had a lot of the answers he needed within himself. His personality and memory shift could be a result of brain or emotional damage, explaining why he acted so differently from before his suicide attempt. This still doesn't excuse a lot of his actions, and a traumatic back story isn't going to make me sympathize with him.

Makoto came across as an insufferable character throughout the film, and the film did no favors in portraying him as anything better. I just think there should've been a way to portray Makoto as an emotionally wounded character without also making him outlandishly spiteful. It may have been an attempt to make his situation seem more "realistic," if that were possible given the fantasy backdrop, but if the goal was to create an unsympathetic character, then the film accomplished its goal in my eyes.
Apr 26, 2020 12:02 PM

Apr 2011
The ending was kinda predictable, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

8/10

Apr 29, 2020 12:49 PM

Sep 2019
It was an interesting concept but failed to done an impactful presentation. 5/10
Apr 29, 2020 12:50 PM

Sep 2019
MagicalArtist said:
Average movie. 5/10
we think the same pal.
May 15, 2020 5:02 PM

Jun 2014
It had a beautiful message, but the story didn't really hook me.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Jun 15, 2020 5:15 PM

Nov 2018
I haven't cried for as long as I cried with this film, the message is beautiful "living is not easy, but it is a beautiful journey" it is a pity that few can understand it

❝見つめないで 悲しい方を
目を瞑って 口づけしよう
甘く溶けるメロディー❞

❝邪魔しないで
真夜中のパラダイス
息もせずに潜っていく
二人だけのダンス❞
Jun 24, 2020 10:25 PM

Jul 2016
Man, PuraPura is really annoying and acts like a child. I get that his physical form is a child, but shouldn't a spirit be a litle more wiser and mature?
Jul 5, 2020 5:28 AM

Nov 2013
Damn, this is the best movie I’ve seen in recent times!
Really a gem of a movie.

Colorful really was a rollercoaster of emotions — there were parts where I thought Makoto was absolute scum, pathetic, and cruel towards his mother, but at other times I pitied him and got to understand where his feelings stemmed from.

The twist at the end where the sin was actually Makoto killing himself made a lot of sense. There were various points in the anime where I thought the soul was awfully attached to Makoto’s past life to the point it would seem strange if it wasn’t actually him(ie. falling in love with Hiroka and the subsequent drama, getting angry at Makoto’s mother for being a ‘good wife’).
My only contention for this movie was whether Makoto’s mother did end up telling her husband about the affair, seeing as she owed it to him to be honest. In hindsight, it’s possible the father already knew as Makoto surmised, but I think the mother confessing would’ve been the right thing to do. Other than that, the movie covered all bases very well — resolving plot points with Hiroka, Sano, Mitsuru and the family in general, and Makoto’s overall view on life.
I’m especially content that the Sano drama was resolved, she was the one who understood Makoto the best, and it’d be a shame if her character didn’t get the recognition she deserved. Moreover, I’ve got to give credit to the way the VA portrayed her mannerisms with her stutter/speech repetitions in the anime — it really made the character feel real.

I loved the pacing of the story, and the background visuals were absolutely stunning. All of the different art boards for the backgrounds really added a special feel to the anime and provided a detailed visual landscape.

Outstanding work, very impressive!
Beautiful story, pacing, visuals, and great character development.
Jul 14, 2020 5:45 AM
Jul 2020
Shocked said:
Colorful seems to hate its female characters, going out of its way to torment the mother and making Hiroka come across as somewhat sociopathic. It's also been a while since I've seen a female character be thankful for almost being raped, let alone giving thanks for the act somehow making her a better person.

This. This scene and its resolution are just disturbing. I'm surprised so few people are speaking about it.
Jul 24, 2020 10:58 PM

May 2015
great film, wasn't expecting to cry at the end, god damn.
Aug 13, 2020 9:53 AM

May 2016
This film, despite its flaws, was able to get me to think about the value of life along with the importance of appreciating the little things in life and always looking forward to making the most out of it.

The world is full of imperfections and struggles but at least it's not all bad, I guess. As much as Makoto and most of the people around him's questionable actions have left an unpleasant taste in my mouth, I'm willing to admit as a flawed human being that I've made mistakes like that throughout my life that has led to regrets as well. It's a shame that bad things happen in the first place, but the most important part about making up for past mistakes is to learn from them and not do them again.

I'm glad that he was able to get his life together, one way or another. It would've been nice if more people would be able to get second chances like this.

Aug 16, 2020 8:51 PM

Jan 2014
this was a beautiful movie, i'm glad i decided to watch it. it's a nice reminder to always keep going.

basspig said:
So I watched "Colorful" again tonight, to remind me that I have to stay alive for the sake of my wife and daughter. That they depend on me in many ways and that I am obligated to finish my 'mission' in life.

^^ it's a special movie that can inspire a reaction like this!

I like that not everything was necessarily resolved. we don't really need to see how they play out, it leaves it up to the imagination. the story ended once makoto realized who he was. the animation was beautiful, and i really liked the characters. i'm going with 9/10

also here's some love for purapura, quite possibly best character in the movie <3
May 12, 2021 2:25 AM
Sep 2018
Makoto is bi and I'm here for it
ZarasenpaiMay 12, 2021 2:31 AM
Jul 6, 2021 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
this is so underrated and way better than A Silent voice..learn something new eveytime i watch it, whoever gave it less than atleast an 8 lacks taste
Aug 21, 2021 10:33 AM

Aug 2021
Loved the movie the story was filled with many different emotions
The OST was at perfection
Got a little dull in between but the ost saved it from ruining
The bullying scene got me and made me cry

9/10
Aug 30, 2021 9:34 PM

Aug 2011
"Humans aren't just comprised of a single colour, but with many different ones. What our true colors are, what our own colors are, no one knows." one of my favourite quotes from this movie
desu desu binches
Sep 26, 2021 8:41 PM

Aug 2021
A story that left a bad taste in the mouth but the music is pleasant.
Sep 29, 2021 8:02 PM
Apr 2020
Man it's been a long time since I've seen a movie as great as this.

I kinda predicted that twist ending cuz some animes had it.. But nevertheless, it's a great movie with a great ending. I really enjoyed it that some of the moments had me in tears a bit. 9/10 for this

This also is the very definition of SOL anime so if you're looking for this genre, you should try this. It's really worth watching :)
Oct 28, 2021 2:19 AM

Sep 2020
Just witness one of the worst character in anime who sells her body to buy some accessories and stuff.

Can't say anything about MC's mom she have done mistake but she is trying to change.

Makoto (MC) as a character was not much intresting but relatable although some of his actions really annoyed me.
ZXEANOct 30, 2021 10:36 PM
Nov 14, 2021 5:01 AM

Feb 2020
This is by far the best anime dealing with suicide and depression. Had some problem like there the hiroka conversation was being weird or MC acting annoying at times. But still overall a great film with impactful message successfully delivered with a great ending
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 16, 2021 6:05 AM

Aug 2021
This was disappointing, to the very least. As someone who has been considering suicide for quite some time now, the message it tried to portray was kind of insulting, though that's probably just because of my own personal ideologies and beliefs. Animation was superb though. 4/10.
Jan 25, 2022 7:02 AM
Jan 2022
stAtic91 said:
I felt so bad for the mom throughout almost the entire movie... He was so rude to her! When she was crying at the dinner table I wanted someone to give her a hug or something, lol. And girls like Hiroka - it just boggles my mind how they would sell themselves for accessories and stuff. Bitches and whores.

A bit of a boring/slow movie imo, but it ended up being really good. The scene at the dinner table and the ending were very powerful.

Why did you feel bad for the mom. She was a cheater right?
Mar 13, 2022 3:46 PM

Sep 2014
good movie. A bit slow in the middle but it feels like that was the point. I wish we would have seen more of the girls developement though, they were kind of forgotten in the second half. Especially Hirokas prostitution was just shrugged off. What kind of Gucci bag does she want to buy if she has to "do it 3 times"? The running sequence was one of the weirdest scenes I have seen in a while, pretty long, no attempt to stop him and in the end she just says "that was fun, but I have to go back" like??

Visiting formerly existing tram lines must be one of the weirdest and straight up most boring hobbies I have ever heard of.

All this drama about which highschool (not even university) to attend reminded me of my parents driving to all kinds of schools and in the end I went to the closest one like everyone else lol.

I felt bad for the mother, but what she did naturally would have some consequences. Im not one to preach monogamy for the sake of upholding some archaic morals but you really should think about your kids as well. Atleast they managed to make up. I think beeing angry and getting over it is a normal process. And thats ultimately what the movie is about, as Makoto said to Hiroka in the end.

A really beautiful movie overall and a great message too. Albeit a bit slow, which makes it pretty relaxed.

8/10
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 16, 2022 9:25 PM
Mar 2019
Makoto was unbearable in the first half.
Talk about making the most of a second chance in life.
Redeemed himself a bit by the end.
Put off watching for ages, glad i gave in though.
At least he did not end up with the Girl!
Apr 6, 2022 11:29 PM

Sep 2020
i wish i could've enjoyed this more than i did. well by "enjoyed" i mean i wish it made me sadder lol. i found this movie by looking up anime that tackles depression and suicidal thoughts and this was recommended. it was good, but i couldn't really relate as someone with suicidal thoughts and depression.

i really liked the opening scene, the part with his family discovering that he had come back to life was my favorite little moment. it felt the most powerful showing how badly a suicide can affect someone's loved ones.

other than that it was just okay. some parts felt dragged on and i started to hope that it would end soon. but surprisingly i didn't dislike it or anything, i still liked it for some reason. i don't think it was terrible but i also don't think it was great. i went into it blind so i probably had my expectations up too high but overall i still liked the charm of it for some reason. not something i feel like watching again but i'm glad i watched it. 7/10
Apr 29, 2022 7:34 AM
Jan 2022
What's up with cucks defending the Mom here? That whore deserves more and was let off easy
Jun 20, 2022 1:42 PM

Aug 2017
Just wanna highlight how excellent the animated expressions of Shouko Sano were, coupled with Aoi Miyazaki's voice acting. Really authentic representation of a person with social problems who suffered from bullying. Lots of care put into it. The first-person perspective in the beginning is also interesting and rare, I can't remember many anime that did that outside of Hathaway and Genocidal Organ. Traced photograps were nice and nostalgic as well.
Jul 24, 2022 11:08 PM
Nov 2020
I feel like I cherish my life a bit more thx to this film. Despite the goings-on of this movie, I feel strangely fulfilled.
Ah, and PuraPura... I love you
Aug 28, 2022 12:18 PM
Nov 1, 2022 9:33 PM

May 2014
Great film for people that consider sui****. It actually may help a little bit and makes you see the value of life. Also, good for people with low self-esteem. Besides, it shows the value of being alive. Regarding the movie, I liked it. I just thought it was too bad Makoto didn't apologize to his mother. Also, that punch-line at the end. Totally recommended.
Nov 1, 2022 9:36 PM

May 2014
stAtic91 said:
....And girls like Hiroka - it just boggles my mind how they would sell themselves for accessories and stuff. Bitches and whores.

It's insane to think that people like that actually exist. In the beginning, I thought the old man was forcing her to do it. Even more disgusting is the old man who agrees to do it with her.
Nov 1, 2022 9:42 PM

May 2014
Wistaire said:
" About what everyone else is saying about how Makoto was treating his mother; maybe I'm just a bitch but... if I caught my mother having an affair, I wouldn't have reacted all that differently. Even if she's regretful, that still doesn't make it right.

That is true, but how long are you going to be angry over your mother for having an affair? I agree it's not right, but like everything you have to get over it and continue with your life. I understand his frustration, but he was angry with for her too long. We don't know how much, but I can guess he was angry for a couple of months and didn't even want to look at her. That is taking it too far. She deserved an apology for his behaviour.
Apr 12, 2023 7:20 AM
Dec 2020
[SPOILER ALERT]
The build up to this movie was unlike i have seen in any other anime! the problems were very hard hitting!! i personally feel like this can be equated to "A silent voice" but it had a way more complex and harder hitting storyline than A silent voice but A silent voice had better direction/production and was more engaging, Only thing that i did not like about this movie a little bit would be the ending where Makoto rejects his parent's and brother's idea of him going to a better school just for the sake of his friend, i get his angle but i personally would pick family ahead of friends in any condition so that reasoning in the movie felt less emotional than the whole build up! THAT BUILD UP WAS JUST INSANE!!
Apr 28, 2023 11:12 PM

Jun 2017
At last! A great anime movie! I haven't watched a good one for a while now. It's been plain lately. The conclusion of the story is something I've predicted right from the start so I wasn't surprised. It was even more illuminating when the character could draw well. There's only one explanation for that, it's because he's Makoto himself.

This anime has a lot of moral lessons regarding bullying and how to value your life. I didn't like how his mother got away with her cheating though. She didn't even apologize to Makoto and her husband.

9/10

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Sep 12, 2023 9:40 PM

Dec 2009
Notes from 2012:

Sep 19, 2023 8:30 AM
Jul 2020
maybe i was in a very state of my life when i watch this but this movie spoke to me, it was painful, it was emocional but good and sad movie i have all lot of mixed feelings about this movie but i love it.
Nov 23, 2023 9:51 AM

May 2022
Rewatched it, and I still strongly feel that it should be rated higher than 8 atleast.
Jan 3, 1:25 PM

Sep 2021
This was beautiful, art were beautiful.

Saotome is the friend we all need
Goodnight, Punpun 
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is there a manga for "Colorful (movie)"

XxCorpsePartyxX - Nov 24, 2014

4 by mangalicker94 »»
Nov 1, 2022 9:46 PM

» Have a question of Makoto's father [SPOILER]

Harwyck - Jan 25, 2022

3 by RokkuDash »»
Apr 27, 2022 12:21 AM

» The song in the background inside the art class ?

Senator - Mar 19, 2015

9 by aku_mado »»
Aug 17, 2019 11:15 AM

» Anyone subbing this?

TeaAnyOne - May 4, 2011

8 by NeatManatee »»
Aug 10, 2011 9:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.