Forum Settings
Forums

Why are Japanese singers OBSESSED with singing in English???

New
May 11, 2011 2:00 PM

Jun 2008
I'm not just talking about anime songs, I've heard plenty of other non-anime songs sung in English......Err, I mean ENGRISH!.

I just don't get it, I've never seen American, British, or even Australian Singers sing in Broken Spanish or German or any other language.

I understand that English is the most Popular language in the world, but why not sing exclusively in Japanese.

Japanese is a nice language and there are plenty of people who would love to speak it....

BTW, I'm perfectly fine with Japanese singers who sing in English CORRECTLY.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 11, 2011 2:11 PM

May 2011
The same can be said for inserting broken English into anime, especially when it's completely unneeded. I just don't see the point of it.
May 11, 2011 2:38 PM

Jun 2008
Why do you have a problem with it?
May 11, 2011 2:41 PM

Aug 2009
International fame.
-Fixing-
May 11, 2011 2:43 PM

May 2010
Its not just the Japanese, the Chinese and Koreans do it a lot to since many of them have a notion that everything associated with the English speaking world is "cool" which is why they use engrish all the time in songs, etc.
May 11, 2011 2:49 PM

Jun 2008
Homuraholic said:

Well, I think it's a bit HYPOCRITICAL of anime fans to critique people for being WEABOOS but no one says anything about the ENGRISH that most of the anime songs have.

I don't mind it when they sing one or two words, but when the ENTIRE song is in Engrish.....it's annoying.
May 11, 2011 2:52 PM

Jun 2008
I can't recall an anime song that is completely sung in "engrish".

But I suppose it would make a few people a bit hypocritical if they accept those songs and still judge 'weeaboos'.

Of course with that situation you have to Assume a Lot of things.
May 11, 2011 2:54 PM

Oct 2007
I don't see why not. They're forced to learn it in school anyway, so they might as well make use of it.
May 11, 2011 3:01 PM

Jun 2008
Some chinese songs also have english in it. And I'd assume some indian songs too. Considering how english is commonly learned in school in these countries, it's not that surprising.
May 11, 2011 3:01 PM

Jun 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
I don't see why not. They're forced to learn it in school anyway, so they might as well make use of it.

Apparently they didn't learn English well...

Besides it doesn't matter if they're forced to learn it, In the U.S we're forced to take a foreign language as well.
May 11, 2011 3:09 PM

Aug 2008
The United States is the largest consumer of music followed by Japan at number two and the UK at number three, so by singing in English they have the potential reach a much larger audience. It's not just Japan that does it too. A good amount of the music I listen to from places like Poland, Iceland, Norway, etc. is English as well.

The majority of Japanese music I listen to the lyrics are mostly in Japanese with a few exceptions like Melt-Banana, who's lyrics are entirely in English, and Ruins and Kōenji Hyakkei, who sing in a version of Kobiain. Then again, the majority of the Japanese music I listen to, I do so independently from anime.

Homuraholic said:
I can't recall an anime song that is completely sung in "engrish".

Off the top of my head, there is Black Lagoon OP (Red Fraction by Mell) and Xam'd OP (Shut Up And Explode by Boom Boom Satellites).
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
May 11, 2011 3:17 PM

Aug 2008
Asian countries in general have a high demand for English... for some reason. As much as America is heading down the toilet as a society, the money is still here. To tap into the American market, y'need English.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

May 11, 2011 3:26 PM

Feb 2008
I don't mind.

Though, Engrish in Korean band songs is nowhere near Engrish in Japanese songs. Korean bands tend to have at least one member fluent in English/ English native speaker. While Japanese singers have some fantastic Engrish words, like the good known Miku's "Hosepital". [An Cafe]
May 11, 2011 3:27 PM
Dec 2007
You know guys, it's not just Asia that does it. Europe is chock full of music bands that sing mostly in English. I mean, look at bands like Lacuna Coil or Nightwish, they are not from England are they? English is like the universal language when it comes to music. Now, the real question is why do the Japanese insist on inserting English in anime.

May 11, 2011 3:56 PM

Aug 2010
I believe English is the language of international business, mostly (besides money, haha) and music is a business so there you have it... I guess.
May 11, 2011 3:58 PM

Feb 2005
I'd guess same reason any non native English speaking artists sing in English, to gain impasse in a global entertainment market largely dominated by a western English speaking cultural hegemony.

Though in most cases it's probably just because they think misspelled and poorly pronounced random English phrases is cool.
May 11, 2011 3:59 PM

May 2010
Sometimes the accent is good. Just look at Spice and Wolf's songs.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 11, 2011 4:00 PM

Apr 2008
The Japanese language being full of loan words from English, combined with the trendiness of all things Western in Japanese pop culture.
May 11, 2011 4:21 PM

Mar 2008
I can't see why artists would use broken English to get into the English-speaking music market when the songs that are sung in broken English are never actively SOLD in English-speaking markets so far as I know (with the exception of the odd imported goods shop). If they were using broken English for that purpose it would make more sense to debut and sell goods in those countries--though this may instead be due to a general (and understandable) unwillingness of the American market to sell foreign albums.
May 11, 2011 4:27 PM

Apr 2010
I have one or two songs that are in complete Engrish. Accidentally downloaded them and they're in my iTunes but I have them unchecked from the shuffle mode.

May 11, 2011 4:33 PM

Aug 2008
Thank you. Good to know that someone else hates Engrish in my anime songs. I mean, it's just embarrassing to hear their horrible Engrish in incorrect grammar. Living in America, I find it embarrassing if someone besides me hears it as well.

To whoever's wondering if there are anime songs completely in English, I can say that Kami Nomi's opening songs (both seasons) are in English.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
May 11, 2011 4:37 PM

Mar 2009
Maybe a certain meaning that the songwriter(s) wants to convey through the song is better expressed using English rather than another language. Thus, the songwriter may add in some English words or sentences to the lyrics.
May 11, 2011 5:02 PM

Mar 2008
To add variety. Plus Japanese people themselves must not be able to tell the difference; otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it.

Actually half the time it's so jumbled I can't tell if it's even English or Japanese in the first place.
May 11, 2011 5:05 PM

Apr 2011
If you haven't noticed, East Asia modernized using USA as their role model. Therefore, in order to nurture the influx of new technologies and cultural ideas, a few english words were adapted into their languages.
May 11, 2011 5:06 PM

Mar 2011
It could be just to attract our attention to show that they are aware of our influence as western people Anime fans, They know we watch their shows etc
May 11, 2011 6:57 PM

Jun 2009
This is relevant.

Worst. Engrish. Ever.

That out of the way, it doesn't strike me as odd that English is commonly used in Japanese music. A lot of their words are borrowed from English, anyway, so clearly our language has some significance over there. There's no reason music has to be written in the writer's native language, and in fact I would argue that restricting yourself so would be a crime against music.
AbstractCalamityMay 11, 2011 7:02 PM
May 11, 2011 8:34 PM

Aug 2010
guyklc said:
Thank you. Good to know that someone else hates Engrish in my anime songs. I mean, it's just embarrassing to hear their horrible Engrish in incorrect grammar. Living in America, I find it embarrassing if someone besides me hears it as well.

To whoever's wondering if there are anime songs completely in English, I can say that Kami Nomi's opening songs (both seasons) are in English.

Amelia by Yuko Goto (Shukufuku no Campanella ED 2) has quite the Engrish going on in it as well, but I don't get pissed off if I hear like most people seem to do.
May 11, 2011 8:51 PM

Jun 2008
AbstractCalamity said:
This is relevant.

Worst. Engrish. Ever.

WOW....that's just horrible.

Why would they do this???

The Japanese who hear it won't understand it, and no one that speaks real English would be able to know what the fuck that person was singing about.
May 11, 2011 9:15 PM

Jun 2009
alexcampos said:
AbstractCalamity said:
This is relevant.

Worst. Engrish. Ever.

WOW....that's just horrible.

Why would they do this???

The Japanese who hear it won't understand it, and no one that speaks real English would be able to know what the fuck that person was singing about.

I don't know, but they did. I guess they thought it sounded better in English than it would in Japanese, and if I didn't speak a word of English, I might agree. The fact that native English speakers need subtitles to understand it is a testament to how bad it is.

To say nothing of the atrocious grammar.
May 11, 2011 10:56 PM

Dec 2008
Icarus_Canti said:
The same can be said for inserting broken English into anime, especially when it's completely unneeded. I just don't see the point of it.

Reminds me of that time in Busou Renkin on that beach scene when they wonder who is surfing and they ask if that's Captain Bravo. Out of nowhere he says "YES I AM!" in English. It was hilarious but unnecessary in my opinion.
May 11, 2011 11:02 PM

Nov 2010
You say the weirdest things alex.
May 12, 2011 4:11 AM

Nov 2010
The younger audience in Japan think it's cool to be able to speak English. They themselves, just like in anime, will insert random words into their daily conversations. We're no different though. As soon as we learn any language, we'll do the same simply to show off that we know a bit of it, even if it's only a small amount. So that's why artists will do that; but some will also do it to gain an international audience, like Utada Hikaru as she did the theme to Kingdom Hearts.
May 12, 2011 4:23 AM
May 2009
Inserting broken english in Anime is funny, But thats only if your not english :P.

For Music it can be because they feel its cool. Though I have no idea.
May 12, 2011 6:06 AM

Jun 2008
Kokuryu said:
Icarus_Canti said:

Reminds me of that time in Busou Renkin on that beach scene when they wonder who is surfing and they ask if that's Captain Bravo. Out of nowhere he says "YES I AM!" in English. It was hilarious but unnecessary in my opinion.
Those are funny. When characters spontaneously speak English. I seen this in j-dramas as well. It wouldn't nearly be as funny without it.
May 12, 2011 6:14 AM
Dec 2007
shintai88 said:
Inserting broken english in Anime is funny, But thats only if your not english :P.

For Music it can be because they feel its cool. Though I have no idea.
I won't deny the cool part. A lot of musicians feel the inserting English into their songs, for example using English for the song's title, will make it look/sound cooler.

May 12, 2011 7:36 AM

Sep 2009
We have many bands over here that make songs only in English. It's not that uncommon, though the accent isn't as horrible as in Engrish.
May 12, 2011 8:17 AM

Apr 2009
MaedhrostheTall said:
I don't see anything wrong with it. We (english speakers) use words and phrases from latin french and spanish all the time in our speech. .

you use WORDS and PHRASES not the entire language
May 12, 2011 8:39 AM

Apr 2011
In addition to what guyklc said, the OP for Deadman Wonderland is also in English (One Reason by DWB ft. Fade)

But...it's a good question. Of all languages, why English?
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
May 12, 2011 8:43 AM

Dec 2008
Duh, Japan loves English and Caucasians and all Asians are wannabe-white people. Isn't this the answer that everyone's waiting for?
May 12, 2011 11:37 AM
Dec 2007
Jazzalyn said:
In addition to what guyklc said, the OP for Deadman Wonderland is also in English (One Reason by DWB ft. Fade)

But...it's a good question. Of all languages, why English?
That question has been answered so much to satisfaction in 2 pages it's not funny. Japan and Asia in general interacted with America greatly after WWII. Up until that point Japan had been a very enclosed and proud nation and you can say the US was the first Western culture they actually had a proper interaction with. As such, is it really that strange for Japan to like English and the foreign allure that comes with it?

May 12, 2011 12:38 PM

Dec 2008
Wilio said:
International fame.

Because think on it, I am sure there are fans of the singers who are get complicated with the Japanese, so that the singers are singing in English too.

And that's it. Na-no-ne/De-aru/Relo XD
May 12, 2011 12:56 PM

Dec 2008
Tachii said:
Kokuryu said:
Icarus_Canti said:

Those are funny. When characters spontaneously speak English. I seen this in j-dramas as well. It wouldn't nearly be as funny without it.

You have a good point, and I also agree with you.
May 12, 2011 12:59 PM

Jul 2010
Bleach has some like that. I really can't stand it to be honest. It's like me singing in Spanish, just because I know it doesn't mean there is a reason for me to sing in it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2011 5:29 PM

Feb 2011
Why are a bunch of anime/manga fans obsessed with speaking Japanese? Even if they're terrible at it?

Aw, who cares if they want to sing in English? If they want to then whatever.
May 12, 2011 6:25 PM

Aug 2009
The real question: Why is the Deadman Wonderland OP so bad?
May 12, 2011 6:37 PM
Jul 2018
Homuraholic said:
May 12, 2011 11:02 PM

Mar 2010
It's just a fasion thing, many countries now like to sing something in English. In Thailand they also do it. (Mainly 'cause English is the international language)
I also get annoyed sometimes when they (thai people) pronounce "t or d" instead of "th" in songs.

Now Watching

原神 : 800993232

SV-Mirage

May 12, 2011 11:42 PM

Dec 2010
GunDumb90 said:
Its not just the Japanese, the Chinese and Koreans do it a lot to since many of them have a notion that everything associated with the English speaking world is "cool" which is why they use engrish all the time in songs, etc.

Koreans can speak English quite well an quite far from the Engrish that we commonly hear from Japan. I know it because I once saw a Korean cartoon dubbed into English by Koreans, I saw some vids sung by Koreans in English and they were pronounced quite well.

Gorim said:
Because engrish is a cool language!

Oh come on man! You are not being serious right?
May 13, 2011 1:43 AM

Jun 2008
Sekai-Verse said:
It's just a fasion thing, many countries now like to sing something in English. In Thailand they also do it. (Mainly 'cause English is the international language)
I also get annoyed sometimes when they (thai people) pronounce "t or d" instead of "th" in songs.

That's too bad...

I'm all for it if you can properly and correctly sing in English......unfortunately 90% of Japanese singers CAN'T.

Its annoying to hear the English language being butchered, just like it's annoying hearing weeaboos saying "Neko" and "Desu" and KILLING the Japanese language.

I don't think we should be HYPOCRITES, if we're going to bash on Wapanese then Engrish should also get NO MERCY.
May 13, 2011 2:19 AM

Mar 2010
You're right I suppose, but we can't do anything with it, though. I think we all should just forget about it 'cause we can't stop them or make them better anyway.

Now Watching

原神 : 800993232

SV-Mirage

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.