Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (31) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Apr 23, 2011 1:52 AM

Sep 2010
Eh, ok overall.
Ended how I thought it would a long time ago.
Apr 23, 2011 2:42 AM

Oct 2009
Aired on good friday, ooh symbolism. No actually very good symbolism.

Jesus Madoka opening heaven for Mahou Shoujos instead of letting them become witches. Quite beautiful.

I hated Madoka, but I can't hate her anymore. She was so very selfless. I love her now. Her becoming God reminded me of Lain actually, she's still there, but everyone forgot her. Beautiful and at the same time so very very sad. And not at all what I expected really, I thought for sure we'd get a huge troll gem.

Lol @ nice Kyubei btw.

I loved this anime. People can tell me it's overrated, but I'll never agree. This is simply very good. It keeps you at the edge of your seat and then does something you never expected.
I'd give an 11/10, if it was possible.

Ooh, and about those distortions instead of witches, I was thinking, are those distortions due to the recreation of the former world by Madoka? Like some pieces of the former world ending up in the current world? Anyone got a theory about that?
Apr 23, 2011 2:48 AM

Feb 2011
mikhailn said:
So Madoka turns into a God to save the world. Damn. You know, she should have taken a swig of MOANING LESCUE to help her save the day

Morning Rescue. Keeping little girls energized enough to become Godlike
lol that spot was also an amazing part of the show xD

wishbook said:
Anyone can explain? Why Kyoko and Mami recognizes Madoka at minute 2:45, but at 16:40 they don't? how?
different timelines
the one at 2:45 i'm not sure, it may be the past of the same timeline (but there isn't sayaka and there is kyouko with also mami alive) or a transition timeline from the old and the new (before madoka removing her own start and end)
the one at 16:40 is the final new timeline where no one remember her except homura and her little brother
ZeandoApr 23, 2011 2:57 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 23, 2011 2:56 AM
Sep 2007
9/10

So basically, they made Madoka Jesus?
Apr 23, 2011 4:12 AM
May 2009
I loved it, from beginning to end
Apr 23, 2011 4:22 AM
Nov 2010
Some what of a cop-out ending. Another instance the writer's talent went for a swim towards the end. I think I would prefer if this ended on ep 10 on a cliffhanger. Ep 8-10 promised much with the twists and turns but ep11 becomes a generic fit-all solution that draws no particular significance from earlier buildup. As the series now stands, 8/10.
Apr 23, 2011 5:14 AM
Sep 2007
Btw, is it a sin to fap to Madoka now?
Apr 23, 2011 6:18 AM

Feb 2008
A fitting end.
Apr 23, 2011 6:27 AM

Apr 2009
Lol Shaft just trolled Christianity. Well played Shaft, well played.
Apr 23, 2011 6:30 AM
Jul 2007
OShoranO said:
Lol Shaft just trolled Christianity. Well played Shaft, well played.

LOL qft
Apr 23, 2011 6:54 AM

Apr 2009
Sorry for answering a few pages old post, but I just have to ;)

BrickBreak said:
Well, it worked for Homura, no? xD

It worked for Homura because she is aware of the existence of Madoka. I don't know whether it's frequent or not, but I believe they talk with each other in their minds. So it's OK for her, as she has her best friend around.

Moreover, Homura's mentality is far more stable than Sayaka's. Remember ep10 - upon learning all those dark secrets of Soul Gems and magical girls, she didn't break down, but rather worked hard to tell and save everybody.

BrickBreak said:
Not to mention that now, there's no pink-haired girl to throw her soul gem off the overpass.

It might have been anyone else. That's why I said "she somehow discovers".
Apr 23, 2011 7:25 AM
Sep 2007
It seemed to me that Madoka was better friend with Sayaka, than with Homura.
I find it weird for her (Madoka) to call Homura her best friend.

Also, it would be better if Homura was on the better terms with others, not just Madoka.

Anyway, today I changed few time score from 10/10 to 9/10, and vice versa.
Now it's 10/10.
Apr 23, 2011 7:43 AM

Dec 2010
kFYatek said:
Sorry for answering a few pages old post, but I just have to ;)

BrickBreak said:
Well, it worked for Homura, no? xD

It worked for Homura because she is aware of the existence of Madoka. I don't know whether it's frequent or not, but I believe they talk with each other in their minds. So it's OK for her, as she has her best friend around.

Moreover, Homura's mentality is far more stable than Sayaka's. Remember ep10 - upon learning all those dark secrets of Soul Gems and magical girls, she didn't break down, but rather worked hard to tell and save everybody.

BrickBreak said:
Not to mention that now, there's no pink-haired girl to throw her soul gem off the overpass.

It might have been anyone else. That's why I said "she somehow discovers".
Well, I made a joke sandwich, and you only answered to the "bread" :P

We also have to consider the other factors that lead to Sayaka's downfall. But indeed, it is acceptable to say that the same would have happened to her.
But given her conversation with Madoka in the end, it's acceptable. After all, her love for Kyosuke was real, unselfish and absolute, to the point of sacrificing her life and the possibility of being with him.

Wow. I just cam back from the optic store with new glasses, and I'm getting high trying to read stuff here. ooooooooo
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Apr 23, 2011 8:14 AM

Jun 2009
I was hoping for bittersweet ending but I thought that Homura will be the one who dies not Madoka. Madoka became God and now she must carry despair on her shoulders. I'm glad that this didn't turn out to be tragic ending although Sayaka still had to die.
Apr 23, 2011 8:28 AM

Oct 2008
New product ideas:
Madoka Black Sugar Cubes - with extra demon energy!
Kyuubey Sugar Cube disperser - eat candy with care, you may be so addicted its like being in a contract you didn't necessary want!

On a side note, Homura is such as badass.
Apr 23, 2011 8:45 AM

May 2010
Unexpected ending hmm..
Apr 23, 2011 9:57 AM
Dec 2010
I don't know if this has been answered before but:

*spoilers*

I know that there were historical figures present in this episode: Anne Frank, Joan of Arc, and Cleopatra. I couldn't help but try to think about the first girl which she went to, the one in the long dress, and then the one girl by the tree, and finally the girl who was being burned alive. Who were they?
Apr 23, 2011 10:36 AM

Nov 2010
That was spectacular, from the very first episode to last one, loved it.
Apr 23, 2011 10:43 AM

Dec 2010
Season3 said:
I know that there were historical figures present in this episode: Anne Frank, Joan of Arc, and Cleopatra. I couldn't help but try to think about the first girl which she went to, the one in the long dress, and then the one girl by the tree, and finally the girl who was being burned alive. Who were they?

The first girls, the ones that were transformed, are just random girls.
But there are a couple of shots of non-transformed ones, which are put together next to Joan of Arc and Cleopatra, so the general assumption is that they're famous as well. The one being burned alive is very likely Queen Himiko.
The one on the train is suspected to be Anne Frank.
Finally, the girl on the battlefield is the most confusing of all. I thought it was Mother Theresa, but I'm not sure anymore. Other possibilities are Florence Nightingale and the "Afghan Girl" from National Geographic, but it's hard to tell.
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

Apr 23, 2011 11:28 AM

Sep 2010
.... maybe a ova explaining how the kyubey still gathers energy and why demons are there is needed.
Apr 23, 2011 11:56 AM

Oct 2008
kiba1996 said:
.... maybe a ova explaining how the kyubey still gathers energy and why demons are there is needed.

Quick, let Shinbo know we want an OVA!
I would agree to this.
I would not agree to a second season. It is just perfect the way it is.
Apr 23, 2011 12:36 PM
Jul 2009
Omniknight said:
kiba1996 said:

Quick, let Shinbo know we want an OVA!
I would agree to this.
I would not agree to a second season. It is just perfect the way it is.

I would agree to this too.
Apr 23, 2011 12:49 PM

Jan 2008
kiba1996 said:

Kyubey is still getting the energy from the crystals dropped by the demon creatures, so all is going well for him. From what I can tell, the demons are pretty much created by fragments of grief and despair in a similar fashion to the witches originally, whilst not involving Puella Magi.

It's entirely possible that she understood that entropy was still a problem and created them as an alternative solution.
Apr 23, 2011 1:37 PM

Jan 2011
Episode 12 was actually released on the 21st (Thursday) and not the 22nd. (Good Friday)
It was a sad episode, made me cry.
Poor Homura... She had a hard life. ='c
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Apr 23, 2011 1:41 PM

Jul 2009
Can't Madoka technically still turn into a witch, as she is only preventing other MG's from becoming witches? So y'know, if she got seriously pissed or lost hope (Demons causing apocalypse or something) then BAM. She's still an MG even if a little... ethereal.

Yeah, I think she's a bit too pure to defect and turn into one, but the possibility is there.
Apr 23, 2011 1:57 PM

Nov 2007
Vinter said:
Episode 12 was actually released on the 21st (Thursday) and not the 22nd. (Good Friday)

Technically it was like 2:30 AM JST on the 22nd or something I think.

Psychodrake said:
Can't Madoka technically still turn into a witch, as she is only preventing other MG's from becoming witches? So y'know, if she got seriously pissed or lost hope (Demons causing apocalypse or something) then BAM. She's still an MG even if a little... ethereal.

Yeah, I think she's a bit too pure to defect and turn into one, but the possibility is there.

Didn't Mami say during their discussion that Madoka may want to give up at some point? But what happens then? She ceases to exist and we get witches again because there's nothing to remove the grief? Either way, I think she'll persist for eternity.
Apr 23, 2011 1:59 PM

Jul 2009
Thalos said:

Didn't Mami say during their discussion that Madoka may want to give up at some point? But what happens then? She ceases to exist and we get witches again because there's nothing to remove the grief? Either way, I think she'll persist for eternity.

The thing is, Madoka can't stop herself from becoming a witch. If her Soul Gem did corrupt, she would still turn into Kriemhild Gretchen. Again, I doubt she would, but it's kinda a possibility.

I'm looking into it too far really. Madoka is far too good willed to lose hope.
PsychodrakeApr 23, 2011 2:49 PM
Apr 23, 2011 2:27 PM

Aug 2009
Vinter said:

It was released on the 22nd. I was released around 27:00 on the 21st, which is 03:00 on the 22nd.
Japanese just has weird airing timetables.
Apr 23, 2011 2:36 PM

Dec 2010
God damn..this show made me cry. One of the very few anime shows in recent years that have done so.

The after-credits scene was interesting. It is a bit sad that Madoka's sacrifice didn't resolve ALL of the conflicts regarding these evil beings on Earth. At least she wont lose hope.

The new kyubey was a lot better since he doesn't have to harvest energy through his old means, but he's still a fucking bitch!

Psychodrake said:
Thalos said:

The thing is, Madoka can't stop herself from becoming a witch. If her Soul Gem did corrupt, she would still turn into Kriemhild Gretchen. Again, I doubt she would, but it's kinda a possibility.

I'm looking into it too far really. Madoka is far too good willed to loes hope.

The idea is that Madoka will never lose hope and therefore her Soul Gem will never be corrupt. You can also assume that she is no ordinary Puella Magi...in fact, it said that she changed the rules of the universe although no one knows how. Perhaps her Soul Gem cannot be tainted since witches do not exist anymore.

If you disregard the possibility that she is an omnipotent God and instead just a Puella Magi (albiet a God-like one), then yes, I guess her changing into a witch if she loses hope does exist as a possibility.

Anyways...fucking love this show. I may even give it a 10/10...
RezurrektApr 23, 2011 2:42 PM

Apr 23, 2011 2:52 PM

Jun 2010
Actually all you guys missed it. Remember the part with Homura on the moon and the big asteroid of darkness heading to Earth? That was Madoka's soul gem as Kyubey said. Because of her powerful wish, Madoka's soul gem DID turn into a witch, HOWEVER, because of Madoka's wish, she was able to erase it from existence, which in turn, erased herself from existence (a paradox), which is why no one remembers her except for Homura because of her time traveling powers and for some reason her little brother. Madoka is no longer a physical entity, instead she is a concept, a law of physics, a god, so theres no way she can ever turn into a witch again because she's a being in another plane of existence.
Riga92Apr 23, 2011 2:55 PM
Apr 23, 2011 2:57 PM

Dec 2010
Riga92 said:
Actually all you guys missed it. Remember the part with Homura on the moon and the big asteroid of darkness heading to Earth? That was Madoka's soul gem as Kyubey said. Because of her powerful wish, Madoka's soul gem DID turn into a witch, HOWEVER, because of Madoka's wish, she was able to erase it from existence, which in turn, erased herself from existence (a paradox), which is why no one remembers her except for Homura because of her time traveling powers and for some reason her little brother. Madoka is no longer a physical entity, instead she is a concept, a law of physics, a god, so theres no way she can ever turn into a witch again because she's a being in another plane of existence.

That is absolutely correct.

There is just one thing that doesn't fit in, for me: was there really a reason for Madoka not to exist anymore, in this universe?
Well, not the Madoka we know, obviously, but in this universe, was there anything keeping Junko from having a beautiful, well-behaved, pink haired girl called Madoka?

Apr 23, 2011 3:16 PM

Apr 2010
Maybe she just didn't have her in that plane.
Apr 23, 2011 3:29 PM

Jul 2009
Riga92 said:

Crystal clear.
Apr 23, 2011 4:06 PM

Jul 2010
I decided to watch this after hearing it was the best anime last season (?). Despite the gorgeous art direction, I didn't dig the character designs and it was overall pretty meh for me. Seeing all the hype and 10's I thought I was missing something.

Until episode 10 that is.. then it just clicked with me. The ending while reminding me of Eva a bit too much, was still fantastic. Overall a great anime, although I think its importance to anime is still pretty debatable.
Apr 23, 2011 4:42 PM

Dec 2007
BrickBreak said:
Riga92 said:

That is absolutely correct.

There is just one thing that doesn't fit in, for me: was there really a reason for Madoka not to exist anymore, in this universe?
Well, not the Madoka we know, obviously, but in this universe, was there anything keeping Junko from having a beautiful, well-behaved, pink haired girl called Madoka?

It was explained at the start of episode 11 that because of Homura's time travel meddling, all Madoka from different worlds were intertwined. The reason she is this powerful is because Madoka from all the different universes were linked together by Homura. So if one Madoka goes bye bye, all of them do.
Apr 23, 2011 5:21 PM

Jan 2011
And Madoka's wish wasn't limited to a single universe. She is removing the grief seed witches from every possible universe as well. (Long digression on multiverse theory snipped here). So Homura continues to battle against evil in a number of those universes--some with the other puella magi, some on her own--and in all of those possibilities she is sustained by her memory of Madoka. (Of course it is possible that someone else said this in the 14 pages of comments I haven't had time to read--but I was late getting access to watch it).

It will be interesting to see where anime goes AM (after Madoka). This sets a pretty high bar for a 10.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 23, 2011 5:40 PM

Dec 2010
Day2Dream said:

It was explained at the start of episode 11 that because of Homura's time travel meddling, all Madoka from different worlds were intertwined. The reason she is this powerful is because Madoka from all the different universes were linked together by Homura. So if one Madoka goes bye bye, all of them do.
It's a plot point that didn't fit in that well, in my opinion. It's perfect for explaining the power transfer, but it's a bit awkward that it would also cause Junko and Tomohisa to simply decide to only have one child instead of two, or to cause that in any other way.

Apr 23, 2011 6:40 PM

Aug 2008
God forgive me for this score, but I can't think of anything I didn't enjoy or that didn't impress me about this show. I'll give it a 10. It was well worth it to see Madoka become the ultimate magical girl. So ultimate even, that she ceases to exist. It was a bittersweet ending, but the ending I could respect the most.

if you're gonna be a magical girl; be the best you can be. If you're gonna make a wish, make the best biggest gotdamn wish there ever was. That's the magical girl spirit! Loved this show. ^__^

Apr 23, 2011 7:03 PM
Apr 2011
I wonder if anyone can explain to me, but some of the random girls who had their grief seeds purified vanished, while some others, like the train girl and the war field girl, didn't. What did this mean?

Also, Kyubey's hollow and his back is a pouch. What are your reactions to this?
Apr 23, 2011 7:07 PM

Jun 2008
thebettercake said:

Also, Kyubey's hollow and his back is a pouch. What are your reactions to this?

Thats not a surprise seeing as it showed him eat up a grief seed earlier in the series.. so I already knew.
Apr 23, 2011 7:07 PM

Aug 2008
Haha, everyone was right. She became a magical girl at the very last episode. Epic finale. And as some of you have noticed, Homura really does use a magical bow too, as indicated in those earlier teasers. Well, her previous Batman-like prowess was badass on its own right, but sprouting wings and AOEing multiple baddies is just really awesome. Anyhow, a second season is quite feasible considering how open-ended that last part was.
Apr 23, 2011 7:18 PM

Dec 2010
thebettercake said:
I wonder if anyone can explain to me, but some of the random girls who had their grief seeds purified vanished, while some others, like the train girl and the war field girl, didn't. What did this mean?
Those girls weren't "purified", they were just examples of famous girls to whom Madoka is saying "Do not give up hope", and their Soul Gems were still clear.

Apr 23, 2011 7:20 PM

Dec 2010
Riga92 said:

Thanks for the clear explanation. Makes sense now.

Apr 23, 2011 8:22 PM

Sep 2007
Seasonreaper said:
kiba1996 said:

Kyubey is still getting the energy from the crystals dropped by the demon creatures, so all is going well for him. From what I can tell, the demons are pretty much created by fragments of grief and despair in a similar fashion to the witches originally, whilst not involving Puella Magi.

It's entirely possible that she understood that entropy was still a problem and created them as an alternative solution.

Or perhaps instead of QB instigating mahou shoujos into turning into witches, he instigates normal people's despair into the demon manifestations.
Apr 23, 2011 8:56 PM

Feb 2010
The ending makes perfect sense.... and is one of the most EPIC endings I have ever seen. (The ending of UTENA imo is one of the few endings that made me think this hard but leave me this satisfied when I understood it all).

What a truly unbelievable show this was.

It was well worth the wait. SHAFT, you sly dog, your purposeful release on Good Friday (The day He died for our sins 1000yrs ago) shows both your tact, your intellect, your daring, and you have gained a follower.

10/10. Thank. You.
Apr 23, 2011 9:03 PM

Nov 2010
Apr 23, 2011 9:26 PM

Jan 2009
What a great epic and heart warming, but sad, ending. Madoka ended up changing the universe itself, didn't expect that to happen. And Homura and Kyuubey getting along, another unexpected turn of events. And demons appearing and Homura with wings?!?!?!?! Awesome! 10/10
Apr 23, 2011 10:01 PM

Jul 2009
kuroneko99 said:

Pardon?
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Apr 23, 2011 10:39 PM

Apr 2007
kuroneko99 said:
At least it wasn't quite as depressing as Ideon was, although I do agree the series placed a handicap on itself by using those two particular stock plot devices.

The form of this runic response sort of brings up one question that I believe was left unanswered about about the runes. Were they (temporarily disregarding the fact that they turned out to be just a simple substitution cipher) the native language of the Incubators, or were they created by a third party unseen in the series? Perhaps I wasn't paying attention, but it was never completely clear to me whether the Incubators were the source of the "magic" (perhaps just highly advanced science) seen in the series or whether they merely served as the catalysts to unlock that potential in a certain subgroup of humans. If they simply uncovered something that was already there (the runes being part of it), then there seemed to be some other intelligence working in the background behind all of this.
Apr 23, 2011 10:50 PM

Oct 2008
For this series a 9/10.

I loved the series but until it took quite a while to develop into a really strong anime.
That said episodes 9-12 were epic!
Pages (31) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

628 by GuhTheJado »»
May 12, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.