Forum Settings
Forums

What are some shows you thought everyone was overrating, but found to be at least as good as they said?

New
Apr 5, 2011 9:14 AM

Feb 2010
I'm sure that at some point a lot of us had fallen victim to the Hype Machine. IE, we hear so many good things about Y, so you head into the work with high expectations, only to be somewhat disappointed. Keep in mind, you didn't necessarily find them bad, and Hell, they didn't enter that muddy "mediocre" or "okay" territory. Just a feeling that it was over hyped even if you still liked it a lot.

That said, only The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzmiya and Fist of the North Star have managed to pull this off. TMoHS was an anime that showcased a mesh of different ideas that never failed to flow smoothly, and Kyon's epic narration served to put us in the action in the face of the titular character's antics. As for Fist of the North Star, it's as every bit the male chauvinism and 80's cheese fest as the title sounds, yet it's also a surprisingly tender fiction that begs you to be just and live your life to the fullest. Manly tears indeed~

So then, do you have anything that matched the amount of overhype you were afraid something might have had?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 5, 2011 9:36 AM

Aug 2010
I refused to watch Death Note but I found that it was actually quite good since it was really cool chess match of sorts.
Apr 5, 2011 9:38 AM

Jun 2010
Evangelion. When I first watched it, I got 4-5 episodes into it, then dropped it because it just bored the crap out of me. But since so many people were raving about how amazing it was, and telling me about what a mind rape the ending was, I thought I'd start it over and at least try to finish it. Lo and behold, now it's my favorite anime.
Apr 5, 2011 9:45 AM

Apr 2010
Code Gayass
Durararara
Eden of the East
Hayate no Gotoku

I feel bad because I dodged all of those series like the plague to watch moe shit. Then I got desperate and watched the above. And most of them are now my favorite anime :P Crazy how that shit works.
Apr 5, 2011 9:50 AM

Feb 2010
Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Also Nodame Cantabile, Hunter X Hunter, Now and Then, Here and There are some recent ones I can think of.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 5, 2011 9:53 AM

Oct 2009
ghost in the shell, samurai champloo/bebop
Apr 5, 2011 12:35 PM
Jul 2018
Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagaan. Didnt like it to start with (well this is stupid...) but it won me over and I loved it by the end (well this is stupidly....EPIC.)

Skip Beat and Ouran Highschool Host Club...personal bias against anything with perfect bishonen, but both surprised me with good humour and depth.

One Outs, started as being too much like Akagi/Kaiji and with a sport Im not really into, but about mid way it began to get mindgamingly good.
Apr 5, 2011 12:47 PM
Jan 2011
definitely K-ON!
Wanna read the"To aru majutsu no index" Light novels in English? Go here.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

Apr 5, 2011 1:00 PM

Aug 2009
NANA, it's so unique

Black Lagoon. It was an amazing ride, especially season 2

Code Geass...well being new to anime at that time I actually didn't know about the hype before watching it, but I think it deserves it's hype, and a lot of people exaggerate it's flaws. It does have flaws but they aren't as bad as the elitists claim.

Spice and Wolf. I thought it would be more otaku 'normal dude meets hawt chick' pandering, but it wasn't.

Zeta Gundam. Everyone talks about how it is so much better than the "new" gundams (apparently anything after 1990 is "new" in gundam fan land) but I thought "no, it will be bad just like SEED and 00". But it was actually quite good, and made me start actually liking the gundam franchise.
Apr 5, 2011 1:29 PM

Apr 2011
Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky star.

Haruhi Suzumiya was actually very good. The only complaints I would have would be the confusing episode order and the horror show that was endless eight. I have not yet seen the movie and plan on watching it this weekend.

Lucky star is funny but it is highly overrated.
Apr 5, 2011 1:29 PM

Jul 2008
Kaiji, Lucky Star and Neon Genesis Evangelion.
ToukaApr 5, 2011 3:55 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Apr 5, 2011 1:57 PM

Feb 2005
I'd say Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Nana, Rose of Versailles, NGE, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Cowboy Bebop.
LoGH and Nana probably surprised me the most.
Apr 5, 2011 2:46 PM

Jul 2010
Death Note. I refused to watch it for the longest time because I had never met someone who was into it who didn't annoy the living hell out of me. But one day, my roommate went on a huge tangent about how awesome it was and how he was going to cosplay L, so I watched it. And was impressed.
Apr 5, 2011 2:50 PM

Aug 2010
Azumanga Daioh
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Clannad After Story
5 Centimeters per Second
Spirited Away
Cowboy Bebop
Higurashi series
Spice and Wolf
Apr 5, 2011 2:51 PM

Dec 2010
Gintama.

For a long time my brother kept going on about watching it, I kept putting it off until eventually I decided I'd try it and well, what an idiot I was -- I literally LOVE this show, and actually stands as my favourite Anime TV Series. Also, love that it's finally back ^__-
Apr 5, 2011 2:53 PM

Dec 2010
EF- a tale of memories. I didn't like the patch eye girls' arc as much but enjoyed the other arc very much. After getting recommended Clannad and dropping that show, I had put EF on hold low priority as to not disappoint myself. The beginning and some episodes were a bit slow but overall especially the endings for the characters of Ef was much better than I expected.
Apr 5, 2011 3:13 PM

Nov 2010
KeiranShikari said:

Clannad After Story
5 Centimeters per Second
Higurashi series
Spice and Wolf

k-on!!
lucky star (still watching tough)
Haruhi Suzumiya
FMA (brotherhood)

things i tought where the opposite

death note
Yosuga no Sora
Apr 5, 2011 3:15 PM
Dec 2009
FLCL
Fate stay night
Darker than black
Elfen lied
imo
Apr 5, 2011 5:45 PM

Jun 2009
Seto no Hanayome
People in some forum, told me I won't regret it, they were right

Spice and Wolf
Never would I thought I'd enjoyed it that much

Aria The "Animation/Natural/Origination"
Saying I found it just as good is an understatement.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2011 5:59 PM

Jan 2011
Welcome to the NHK. It was on my plan to watch list for quite a while cause I heard it was pretty good, but I only got around to watching it a month or so ago. and I'm glad I did haha.
Apr 5, 2011 6:56 PM

Mar 2011
Death Note : I saw someone advertise Death Note back in 2006 on MSN, I didn't like the idea of watching anime without action. One day, Death Note (dub) was on television, it was on New Years and they did a special night with only Death Note. I watched more than 5 episodes straight, I got hocked. Death Note became my first non-action anime since then.

Naruto : Same thing with above, but it became my first anime I watch with subs. I thought it was a stupid cartoon. Oh boy I was wrong.

Baccano!: I was skeptical about this one. But it turned out to be another masterpiece.

Full Metal Panic! : At first I was... what? Full Metal... Alchemist rip off or something? Then I watched it, I liked it. One of the funniest thing ever.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan : The show is certainly overrated, but I did found it good. A solid 7/10 for me, but not something I'll remember in 10 years. Well except
<== haha.
"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Apr 5, 2011 6:58 PM

Jun 2008
This topic screams "legend of the galactic heroes"

Anyone who hasn't seen it might hate it because of the fans on this site but they'll join their ranks once they see it.. I can bet on that.
Apr 5, 2011 7:01 PM

Jan 2011
Cowboy Bebop.
Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but I don't think it was as hype as everyone says.
"You watch too much."
"I don't watch enough."

Apr 5, 2011 7:14 PM

Jun 2008
Zero0neFive said:
Cowboy Bebop.
Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but I don't think it was as hype as everyone says.

I think you're missing the point of this thread then.
Apr 5, 2011 7:17 PM

Jan 2011
Kinoholic said:
Zero0neFive said:
Cowboy Bebop.

Am I really?
"You watch too much."
"I don't watch enough."

Apr 5, 2011 7:20 PM

Apr 2009
K-On
Haruhi
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Apr 5, 2011 7:51 PM

Jun 2009
Zero0neFive said:
Kinoholic said:
Zero0neFive said:
Cowboy Bebop.

Am I really?

Yeah, the point of this thread is to pinpoint anime that is hyped but not over-hyped. You seem to believe it wasn't hyped, so you missed the point.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 5, 2011 8:03 PM
Sep 2009
Death Note was insane. Did not believe the hype at all but was pleasantly surprised.
Apr 5, 2011 8:12 PM

Jan 2011
insan3soldiern said:
Zero0neFive said:
Kinoholic said:
Zero0neFive said:
Cowboy Bebop.

Am I really?

Yeah, the point of this thread is to pinpoint anime that is hyped but not over-hyped. You seem to believe it wasn't hyped, so you missed the point.

Ok, so according to you, the point of this thread is to discuss anime that is hyped, and to talk about your reactions to said anime, while knowing that it's hyped.

So if I were to say that I loved Cowboy Bebop after I watched it, even though I knew it was hyped up (which I did), then my post would be part of the point this thread is trying to make?

I'm sorry, I'm just a little confused.
"You watch too much."
"I don't watch enough."

Apr 5, 2011 9:46 PM

Jul 2008
Easily Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood. I actually put off watching it because I thought the scores were inflated because of fanboys from the initial FMA series. Finally ended up watching it and it now rests on my favorites list >_>.
Apr 5, 2011 10:20 PM

Jul 2010
Definitely Haruhi. After seeing it, I've been converted.
Apr 5, 2011 10:23 PM
Jul 2018
Kinoholic said:

Anyone who hasn't seen it might hate it because of the fans on this site but they'll join their ranks once they see it.. I can bet on that.

agreed.

also most of favorites can fall into this category as well along with the 9+ stuff on my list. imo at least.
Apr 5, 2011 10:59 PM

Feb 2010
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Then again, my taste might just be casual since most people, including some fans, don't think that highly of the first season, the highlights seems to be in the later parts of the series. I am not much of a critics and have yet to see anything beyond season 1, but I like what I've seen.
live2winApr 5, 2011 11:03 PM
Apr 6, 2011 4:44 AM

Nov 2010
the first time i watch the lucky star op ... i was like what the f*** design/music on dope?

but at least the series is genius ;)

edit: the biggest "surprise" was madoka definitely (normal mahou shoujo anime for sure xD)
zwolf12Apr 6, 2011 4:48 AM
Apr 6, 2011 5:00 AM

May 2010
So far, in my personal opinion, three of the anime I've watched have lived up to the hype surrounding them...
Cowboy Bebop
Higashi no Eden
Monster
Apr 6, 2011 5:04 AM

Mar 2009
There are several but I don't remember them all. Some would be

Lucky Star
Haruhi Suzumiya
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Apr 6, 2011 5:20 PM

Jun 2008
Zero0neFive said:

Ok, so according to you, the point of this thread is to discuss anime that is hyped, and to talk about your reactions to said anime, while knowing that it's hyped.

So if I were to say that I loved Cowboy Bebop after I watched it, even though I knew it was hyped up (which I did), then my post would be part of the point this thread is trying to make?

I'm sorry, I'm just a little confused.

No the point of this thread is to talk about anime that you thought might be OVER HYPED but turned out to be exactly how the people who "over hyped" it said it was.

example:

Oh theres no way this anime can be exactly as good as these people say it is..

*watch the anime*

It was EXACTLY as good as they said it was!

Not "oh it was good but didn't necessarily live up to the hype" which was what your post about cowboy bebop said.. It has to be something that lived up the hype 'perfectly'.
Apr 7, 2011 4:15 AM

Nov 2010
Gurren Lagann was definately more impressive than I assumed. However Code Geass for me is NOT living up to its apparent greatness
Apr 7, 2011 6:20 AM

Mar 2011
Code Geass - my brother keeps telling be about it and I just ignored it for almost a year.. Good thing, I was so bored last January, that I finally tried it out. And the rest was history, it turned out to be my favorite anime.. XD

It actually turned out better than what i expected.. SO MUCH BETTER :)
Apr 7, 2011 6:35 AM

Dec 2007
Not even once an anime thatI watched to check out what the hype was about lived up to its name.

But it has happened to me to watch an anime, love it and then discover it is overrated and overhyped. :3
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 7, 2011 6:37 AM

Dec 2009
Death Note I guess... tho I didn't think I'll get disappointed anyway
Apr 7, 2011 6:53 AM
Sep 2009
Well, given how extremely popular Cowboy Bebop is, it can be said that it is "overrated", but the thing is it deserves all the praise it gets. TTGL was also very good, and it's just as big as a hype-machine as Bebop (maybe even bigger at this point, since it is relatively new), but unlike Bebop, it's reputation is bloated and it gets a bit more credit than it deserves.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Apr 7, 2011 7:36 AM

Mar 2011
FMA:Brotherhood by like a landslide. Comparing it to other shows I've watched using the anidb ratings to gauge how good it is, it's about a 7 for me.
Apr 7, 2011 8:39 AM

Feb 2010
Escaflowne. I had heard that it was quite good by quite a few people (and I thought it couldn't possibly be all that) but when I watched it I found out that they were actually underrating it. It's good to be wrong sometimes...
Apr 7, 2011 9:15 AM

Nov 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Not even once an anime thatI watched to check out what the hype was about lived up to its name.
I was going to go with this, but then I remembered about Princess Tutu. Even that is probably only a mild example because it has relatively few fanboys compared to something like LOGH, TTGL or Gintama, but apart from that, it fits well enough.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 7, 2011 9:18 AM

Jan 2011
Death Note
Apr 7, 2011 9:29 AM

Feb 2010
Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star and Clannad.
Apr 7, 2011 10:22 AM

Feb 2010
Kinoholic said:

Why would anyone hate a show because of fans? If I see that a bunch of people are annoyingly fanboyish about a show my first impulse is "There must be something behind it" and I'll try to become an overexcited fanboy myself (It increases enjoyment :P). If the show still disappoints me with that attitude, then it deserves my hatred though ^^.

Anyway to name some more examples I could think of:

Baccano!
Arakawa Under the Bridge (even surpassed my expectations)
Higurashi Series
Welcome to the NHK (Surpassed them too, probably because I tend to expect less from non-action-ish series (though that has changed over the course of the last year and by now I expect less from action series)

Aoi Bungaku fit my expectations perfectly too.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 17, 2011 9:23 AM

Dec 2009
~Cross Game
~Death Note

Apr 17, 2011 9:27 AM

Mar 2010
I will have to say Cowboy Bebop. It's an amazing show but not the best anime ever.
¯l_(ツ)_/¯
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 1 hour ago

47 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
26 seconds ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 11 hours ago

28 by epidemia78 »»
32 seconds ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 7 hours ago

23 by Shizuna »»
3 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

12 by JaniSIr »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - Today

3 by JaniSIr »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.