Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 10, 2017 9:44 AM

Dec 2015
What a weird show, it may be too much for me, we'll see.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 14, 2017 5:57 AM

May 2016
Woo. That was a little hard ta digest. They've done well in making really disturbing character designs.

I'm very interested in One-arm and Byakugan guy so I hope that the pacing speeds up a little in the other episodes. I have ta say that the anticipation made me lose my breath tho :o

That orgasm kick xD

Sep 3, 2017 9:03 PM

Jul 2016
i kept telling myself even before anything happened that i probably shouldn't be eating food while watching this. lo and behold i was right. when he put his hand through his stomach i physically recoiled backwards and said "oh god" while my now piqued brother tried to pry what anime i was watching from me. since i've skipped three scenes (perhaps you can guess two of them easily) from this episode alone, i think i have to bring in the earbuds for this one.

amazing, the art style, the tense atmosphere, and though i am one that squirms at some of the content displayed, i do like how they do not play around with these subjects. from this first episode alone, i got more scared at certain points than i was when i watched an episode of a horror genre just a few hours ago. that's how you know they're doing it damn right... also liking both fujiki and irako, interesting characters. i had thought by the superb art that it was more recent as well...
Mar 7, 2018 5:13 PM

Aug 2012
lol at the guys last words, "Foolish Lord." Like, you just killed yourself for nothing and you're calling him foolish? Besides that, that was actually a pretty good opener, it delivered the premise in an effective way while also showcasing the visceral nature of the series. The scene before this featured blood but it was done in a more cinematic way, like it was as river of blood and we didn't really see it connect from the flesh so after a restricted showing, I appreciate that they very quickly displayed how gore-y the series can get. It'll be hard to top that gruesome moment, and I feel it's important to reach a high point early, to alert potential viewers who may be turned off by that kind of imagery.

What really stood out to me in this series was the colour palettes. Every scene was either dominated in red, white for the open sky present, or dark gray for the indoor past sequences. I particularly liked the decision to have the present match-up prep happen completely in the open while the past one was restricted in-doors because it's further visual cue to the flashback nature, as well as easy contrast for viewers to be able to separate. Of course, this is in addition to the obvious cues like Fujiki having both arms or Irako not being blind. The absence of these in the past, along with Fujiki's girl, Mei I think, stating that she despises Irako, really helps build the intrigue to their past encounter. And the past stuff was where the series really grabbed my attention, I like that note that Fujiki was really mad about the lipstick Irako wore, as it helps cements both of their characters, Fujiki as a no-nonsense kinda a strict swordsman, and Irako as a more original samurai (his unique stance earlier showed this too), and perhaps a bit of a trickster, like I wonder if he wore it as part of some samurai mind-game.

It's going to be interesting to see how this manages to stretch out to a full-length series, honestly kinda seems like the first act to a Samurai movie, rather than episode 1 of a 12 episode series.
Mar 29, 2018 11:54 PM
Jun 2013
man this show sure has an odd presentation. Not saying its bad just odd. The lord seems like some sort of psycho who wants to see blood. Also random eating out scene. Im also guessing since the fight is about to happen the rest of the show will be flashbacks all leading up to it.
May 26, 2018 2:04 PM

Nov 2016
Yeah,it gave off a very similar vibe to Tex,but the first impression of this episode is far better. My eyes were glued to the screen and I had goosebumps the entire time,it really succeeded in creating atmosphere that sucked me in.Noteworthy are foremost the dark color palette and the use of sound.
It's been a while since I've felt such a sensation,the last time must have been while watching Ghost Hound,the style was different,tho.

Anyway,sublime first episode and I'm excited to continue this show. Just hope it keeps impressing me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 29, 2018 7:43 PM

Jul 2016
Has the subtlety of a hammer to the head. Awesome animation and sound editing but it's Madhouse so those are expected. Pacing is fine, but on the note of violence it seems to be going for as edgy a direction as possible. No one thus far is likable. Can't deny that animation though.

Maybe it'll intrigue me after a couple more episodes, but so far I'm not sold.
Big fan of Anime/Manga, Bigger fan of Wrestling, Biggest fan of Music
May 12, 2019 10:23 AM
Sep 2016
Ranivus said:

One thing does confuse me tho...

Yes, I too would very much like to know exactly what was happening that made the leg punch out in that manner.
Was it chopped off or something??
Jul 3, 2019 5:29 PM

Dec 2016
The atmosphere in this episode is fucking THICC!!!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 9, 2020 3:42 PM

Nov 2019
I bought a bottle of sake to drink with the rest of this show. It's all about the atmosphere with something like this. Great start.
Mar 1, 2020 9:33 PM

Oct 2019
I legitimately had no idea what was happening throughout this whole episode.
Mar 11, 2020 1:33 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The mood is really great
May 4, 2020 6:57 PM
Feb 2016
This really reminded me of texhnolyze and when I looked at the staff lo and behold I see Ueda Yasuyuki(the same guy who directed texhnolyze with Yoshithosi abe).

The animation is quite well for a anime from 2007. I'm really liking the atmosphere and the art is really pronounced especially when it comes to the facial expressions of the characters.

The x ray shots of their muscles contracting reminded me a lot of baki. The level of detail to the muscles is very appreciated. The show doesn't seem to pull it's punches when it comes to gore. That one guy basically disembowel himself in front of his lord to stop the samurai death fight and he couldn't give a shit at all.

This seems to a bit of slow burner,which I don't mind. I'm interested to see where this goes.
Jul 30, 2020 7:59 AM

Feb 2019
Well damn the plot thickens from the first Ep maybe we'll get to see the fight in next episode I liked how Irako just took down fujiki with just one move.
Jan 18, 2021 2:16 PM
Dec 2019
2021 gang here

This episode was very weird... and honestly unsettling. I'm not talking about the gore or anything (although that most certainly adds to it). No. This episode just feels grotesque; from the stellar use of freaky music and visuals to the ambiguity of the meaning of the story I've embarked upon, I can calmly say that I've never felt so oddly freaked out yet intrigued by an episode of anime before.
Feb 3, 2021 8:34 PM

Jun 2020
I have high hopes for this anime. When you watch an anime and there is extreme gore within the first five minutes, you know it's a gem. I find the animation style and the overall aesthetic to be quite pleasing. This "episode" definitely has me wanting more.

And holy fuck! did you see how big that dude was?
Mar 10, 2021 12:28 PM

Jul 2013
The man pulling out his guts...damn I did not expect that.

The atmosphere is very dark and suspenseful. I wonder what is it about the bugs (maybe some symbolism I'll find out about later).

I like the blind guy so far.
Aug 22, 2021 9:46 PM

Jan 2021
I really like the design/visual of the muscles and facial expressions, it's very detail and the facial expressions of the characters really supported the dark and eerie atmosphere, it felt like I was there watching and waiting for the moments leading up to someone's death.

I knew that this would be full of bloody scenes but I was a bit shocked there was a scene where a man took out his intestines? from his stomach..

And one thing I don't understand, why is Fujiki so mad when he sees Irako's red lips?

Jun 25, 2022 4:04 AM
WIRED Network

Mar 2021
I really love going back to this episode. It never gets old how they introduced our 2 main characters in Irako and Fujiki as each of them have their own disabilities with it being blindness and have only 1 arm respectfully.

The animation is also awesome and great job on Madhouse. Currently reading the manga which is a must read.
Oct 7, 2023 5:58 PM
Sep 2016
Episode one...thats how you set the mood for the whole show. most current day anime writers and animators need to learn from the old masters
Nov 7, 2023 7:51 AM
Aug 2022
English name ruins all the appeal omg death frenzy what is that, looooll, sounds sooo cheap
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Dec 3, 2007

53 by xoxondudi »»
Mar 11, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 3 Discussion

zq - Sep 4, 2007

49 by xoxondudi »»
Mar 11, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jan 30, 2008

137 by JoexySun »»
Jan 11, 6:38 PM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 9 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 28, 2007

36 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 8, 2023 2:27 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 7 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 2, 2007

34 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 7, 2023 4:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.