Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 30, 2008 1:46 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Amazing final episode, I was speechless when I saw the Tiger and the Dragon. The fight was really nice, the result however probably one of the crayziest things I've seen in this anime, heh. Especially what Fujiki did with what was left of the head afterwards.

Good show, I wonder if there's an OST. A very good 8/10.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 30, 2008 5:07 PM

Sep 2007
For me it was 10/10 i loved the animation and the suspense at the fight scenes.It was a very mature series and it picture the samurais in a more realistic way,not like the champions of good .There is only 1 question is there ogna be a second season cause i think all of wana see how fujiki lost his hand and ofc the shodown between the main characters.

Jan 30, 2008 5:55 PM

Aug 2007
Yeah I hope there is a second season. We never see how Fujiki lost his arm and such.. god that was just amazing. left me speechless mostly. high quality animation throughout.. and guts..and blood
Jan 30, 2008 6:12 PM

Jan 2007
That was crazy. Such an awesome final episode. Although very disappointed that about not seeing the continuation of the first episode.

Overall: 6/10
Jan 30, 2008 6:33 PM

Jun 2007
The fight was pretty good but I feel the same way as everyone else, I was looking more forward to the answers of how fujiki lost his arm and how Irako became a cripple and who won the finally battle between the two. This last ep seriously didn't feel like the last ep. Is everyone sure this series only has 12 eps? It feels like their should be one or two more left.
Jan 30, 2008 9:00 PM

Oct 2007
DeathfireD said:
The fight was pretty good but I feel the same way as everyone else, I was looking more forward to the answers of how fujiki lost his arm and how Irako became a cripple and who won the finally battle between the two. This last ep seriously didn't feel like the last ep. Is everyone sure this series only has 12 eps? It feels like their should be one or two more left.

I agree, I've been looking on the web to see if I camn find more info! I've really enjoyed this series and looked forward to each and every fansub release...as slow as they were, lol! Pleez let there be a season 2..too many unanswered questions and unresolved issues. This seriews reminds me of old school anime like ninja scroll!
Jan 31, 2008 7:11 AM

Nov 2007
What the hell, it's such a 'not enough' series. Definitely a season 2 needed XO

10/10 for this anime no doubt.
Jan 31, 2008 10:31 AM

Aug 2007
Gave the series a 9/10

A completely different from the usual samurai series, yet it managed to pull it off. Better than Basilisk/Rurouni Kenshin series by a lot but didn't like it as much as Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal.

Was hoping for an outcome for the ending of episode 1, but the ending in episode 12 was quite suitable for the events that took place between 2-11.

Jan 31, 2008 3:13 PM

Sep 2007
Interesting final episode + fight and what Fujiki did at the end with the blood .. was disturbing ..

I thought Irako became cripled when his foot fell onto the edge of his sword during the fight with Kogan. Plus, when Fujiki was taking a bath it looks like there was something growing on his hand so i assumed that it was poison and that he had to cut off his arm to prevent spreading .. but that is just what i assumed considering there wasnt really an answer to that at end of the series.
Jan 31, 2008 3:57 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
xo_cl2 said:
I thought Irako became cripled when his foot fell onto the edge of his sword during the fight with Kogan.

Didn't he avoid that by putting an imense amount of power into his arms? ... hm, I guess the sword wouldn't be able to bear that. Ah I dunno. xD

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 31, 2008 5:26 PM
Apr 2007
xo_cl2 said:
Plus, when Fujiki was taking a bath it looks like there was something growing on his hand so i assumed that it was poison and that he had to cut off his arm to prevent spreading ..

Nothing was actually growing. That was the bruise from where he had bit his hand and spit blood all over Iraku. Plus, the hand with the bruise was his right hand, in the first episode he was missing his left arm.
Jan 31, 2008 5:34 PM

Jan 2007
Ho-ly shit...just when I thought this series couldn't get any more gruesome. O.O

An excellent episode, though I agree it doesn't feel like the story is quite over. I wanted a Fujiki/Irako showdown. :(

Still, loved it. 9/10 easy.
Feb 1, 2008 8:49 AM

Jan 2008
I'm confused after watching this. Maybe someone can answer my question?
In episode 1 when Mie has that premonition, does she actually want Fujiki to win? It looked like he got cut and not Irako. She seemed to want Irako till the fight with Kogan.

I'm pretty sure Irako did get crippled when he fell on the sword. You see the gash mark left on his foot when hes walking.

These chars are crazy, every single one of them needs some mental help. Still, it needs a season 2 or at least an OVA to tie up the loose ends everyone's mentioned. This feels like a cross between Kenshin and Berserk to me.

crazy, dark, gory = at least a 7
Feb 1, 2008 12:05 PM

Aug 2007
I also believe Irako was crippled by landing on the sword.

I'm a little confused about Mie also. I believe she did foresee him losing but she still wanted Fujiki to try and kill Irako anyway. I think Mie did want Fujiki to win.
Feb 3, 2008 7:51 AM
Sep 2007
This anime just loses me, are they going to make a second season, where we flash back and see how Fujiki loses his arm. It was a good anime, beautiful animation, and the story was real dark, where there was no such thing as a bad guy or good guy. Overall I give this series a 7/10. I just really hated the cliffhanger at the end, it reminds me of Berserk. I hope for a second season if not, I just have to go find the manga and read it.
Hi
Feb 10, 2008 3:32 AM

Jul 2007
Fujiki obviously lost his arm due to excessive masturbating
Feb 13, 2008 2:43 PM
Jul 2018
the gash mark on irako's foot is NOT from his fight with kogan. if you look at the scenes directly after he almost falls on his sword, the wound is not there. the wound from episode 1 is clearly a puncture wound all the way through his right foot inbetween his big toe and second toe. when irako stabs the sword into the ground and takes his stance against kogan, the wound isn't there.

I suspect that irako stabbed his own sword through the foot he puts forward in his stance as either an accident or an attempt to create further resistance for his blade before release.

anyways, just finished it. pretty different from all the other stuff I've watched as of late. started really slow but started picking up speed after episode 5, and although episode 12 didn't feel like much of an ending, it was still a good episode.

I feel the same as everyone else. was looking forward to the continuation of the fight in episode 1, an explanation behind why fujiki lost his arm, how irako became a cripple, and how their sword techniques developed into what they were in the first episode.

really curious to see how irako developed into holding the blade with his toes instead of just stabbing it into the ground and how fujiki will fight after losing his other hand -- the hand that was supposed to grip and release the blade for shooting star.
removed-userFeb 13, 2008 2:50 PM
Mar 5, 2008 3:02 AM
Dec 2007
i guess irako was doing something like a backwards shooting star, using both his arms and his foot, instead of just one arm which would be much faster and stronger. i heard someone say somthing about a novel that continues the story and fujiki does win the fight, though i'm much to lazy to find and read it ;P
Mar 6, 2008 5:58 PM

Jun 2007
xo_cl2 said:
Interesting final episode + fight and what Fujiki did at the end with the blood .. was disturbing ..

He was trying to clear his master's throat so he could breath and not suffocate from blood. But ya, it was pretty sick since we basically already knew he was dead when the blade cut his face in half.

I agree with the others about Mie. I think at the start she was in love with Fujiki but ended up falling in love with Irako later on when Fujiki continued to ignore her and since Irako refused to have sex with her when everyone was basically forcing the two to do it. When she looked at Fujiki and expected him to stop them he refused because he was following what his master wished even though it seemed pretty painful for him later on (he clearly has a crush on her but cant say or show it). After seeing Irako kill her father and taker her mother as his bitch, she ends up hating Irako and her love for Fujiki gets re-kindled. In the first ep when she foresees the future shes sad and at the same time thinks if she tells him, it would mess up his concentration. We obviously don't know if he really loses or not and personally I hope he wins the fight.

If anyone knows where the novel or manga (if there is one) is please send me a message. I'd love to finish this and find out what happens at the end.
Mar 6, 2008 8:03 PM

Jan 2007
The manga is still ongoing, as far as I know.
May 8, 2008 8:40 AM

Feb 2008
Faust721 said:
Although very disappointed that about not seeing the continuation of the first episode.

Yeah, I hated the fact they didn't show the result of the fight.

Really good episode btw. Found the part where Fujiki is sucking his sensei's blood/brains VERY, but VERY disturbing.
Overall, this was a pretty good show. Loved the animation.
Gets an 8/10 from me.
May 8, 2008 5:31 PM
Mar 2008
Kayro said:
Faust721 said:
Although very disappointed that about not seeing the continuation of the first episode.

Yeah, I hated the fact they didn't show the result of the fight.

Really good episode btw. Found the part where Fujiki is sucking his sensei's blood/brains VERY, but VERY disturbing.
Overall, this was a pretty good show. Loved the animation.
Gets an 8/10 from me.

Um....of course they can't show the fight if the manga is not even finished.

I've been reading the manga, they are currently on volume 10. The anime only shows the first 6 volumes. So you still have volumes 7-10 to catch up....and oh yeah....the story hasn't even BEGUN yet. It's just getting better and better.

http://raw-manga.aceboard.fr/289134-471-4602-0-Shigurui-2007.htm

You can get the mangas here....but it's all raw with no translations. So if you don't read Japanese, you're out of luck

You'll see many things in the manga, things such as Fujiki's past, and why he's so loyal to Kugan.

And you'll see how Fujiki lost his arm, and the great fight between Big Mouth guy and Irako.
Jul 3, 2008 11:30 AM

Jan 2008
Yeah, there HAS to be a second season, they would have tied up the loose ends of the first episode otherwise, even if it meant filler.

Amazing series, just blew me away.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 31, 2008 8:11 PM

Jan 2008
I should have watched this right after the airing was finished.

Very artistic. What Fujiki did to Kogan somehow felt it's almost real.

Screaming for an OVA or second season!
Sep 5, 2008 10:59 PM

Jul 2008
I'm a little surprised by all the love here.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKED "Shigurui", but it for me, it was a 7/10; pretty good, but not even close to anything I would term "amazing".

I appreciate that it was a dark, realistic, historical story, but the glacially slow pace, and the director's insane overuse of artistic shots and presentation really decreased my empathy and enjoyment of the story.

This series would have been absolutely GREAT if it had been condensed into 7 episodes, and the director was a little less obsessed about using close-ups of bugs, flowers, bright colors, and indirect perspective to convey his deep metaphors.

But like the rest, I'm hoping for another season.
Dec 5, 2008 11:57 PM

Jul 2008
There needs to be another season, I gots to see my man Fujiki and what he plan to do to Irako. This final episode was amazing the quality was high, the fight was intense and emotion provoking. The scenes showing the Tiger and the Dragon was sick. This series definitely delivered in a way I'm not used to. 8/10.
Dec 10, 2008 2:56 PM

Jul 2008
I might add a new question, why was Fujiki trying to improve his calligraphy skills using his left hand even though he was right-handed (at least until his right arm was cut)?

I don't think the storyboard left any unanswered questions but maybe some vague ones...Follow the hints :) (I'm not trying to be smart ass, just trying not to spoil the fun...)

Jan 11, 2009 8:45 AM

Nov 2008
It's not an interesting story. The rare, dark animation and eerie, traditional music unnecessarily cast a fake light of profoundness on this simple story.

6/10
Jan 11, 2009 8:50 AM

Jan 2008
arimakenshin said:
It's not an interesting story. The rare, dark animation and eerie, traditional music unnecessarily cast a fake light of profoundness on this simple story.

6/10

Its a simple story but its told so well. Plus simplicity in itself shouldnt be a negative thing for any story. I really like rivalry tales that pit two guys against each other, making them do extreme things as they further descend into madness, leaving the viewer wondering who to side with. The execution, namely the direction and animation, of this simple story is a major factor on my scoring for the show, I'll admit that, but the story itself is also populated with interesting characters so for me the whole package was quality.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 11, 2009 10:27 AM

Nov 2008
Cihan said:

Its a simple story but its told so well. Plus simplicity in itself shouldnt be a negative thing for any story. I really like rivalry tales that pit two guys against each other, making them do extreme things as they further descend into madness, leaving the viewer wondering who to side with. The execution, namely the direction and animation, of this simple story is a major factor on my scoring for the show, I'll admit that, but the story itself is also populated with interesting characters so for me the whole package was quality.

That's definitely another way to look at the series. However, when I watch anime, I also rate it on how much I enjoy it. Shigurui tried to balance being dark with being profound and forgot to add in "enjoyment". It didn't grip me. That's why I have to be harsh with this review.
Jan 12, 2009 2:36 AM

Jun 2007
arimakenshin said:

Shigurui tried to balance being dark with being profound and forgot to add in "enjoyment".

Shigurui's failure to entertain you, doesn't equal that Shigurui forgot to add in "enjoyment". After all some of us really enjoyed it.
Jan 12, 2009 3:57 AM

Jan 2008
I can accept it not being your thing, we are all subjective beings at the end of the day and some stories just dont 'do it' for us.
Feb 13, 2009 1:13 AM

Feb 2009
Don't mistake Shigurui's slow pace as an unenjoyable element. I see it more as a throwback to older Japanese samurai films, which tend to have many introspective moments for the viewer. It's a very different viewing experience for western audiences( which I belong to), more akin to the film noir or art nouveau crowd, though not so pretentious.

If your taste run more towards Kung Fu Hustle (which I thought was very entertaining, btw), and you are bored by more damatic Japanese cinema, then Shigurui probably isn't for you. I don't see Shigurui as trying to cast a fake light of profoundness, I see it as following in the footsteps of classic Japanese samurai cinema.

Arimekenshin, I am not trying to pigeonhole you into a category of viewer, I just used your comments to try to help express my point. I understand many of us have wide and varied taste, and just because a group may agree or disagree in opinion to one series, does not mean we will agree or disagree with the same people on the next. I have felt your opinion of a show or movie trying to be overly introspective or profound on numerous occasions, usually on so-called arthouse films. I may be wrong, but I think Shigurui is trying to follow a spirit of cinematic style, rather than create a false element of "deepness" to impress critics.
Is there another word for synonym?
Feb 14, 2009 12:20 PM

Nov 2008
kraz8 said:
I see it you are bored by more damatic Japanese cinema, then Shigurui probably isn't for you..

That's exactly why I didn't enjoy the anime. I'm not the type who enjoys watching drama. If it has to be drama, then I want it to be philosophical, profound, soul searching along the lines of Lone Wolf & Cub. I guess I couldn't see that in this anime since it seemed to underline the vulgar and violent events in an artistic way. To each his own.
Mar 23, 2009 5:24 PM

Feb 2009
Wonderful anime. I truly enjoyed the series and I'm looking forward to the second season. The manga is still on-going and I've started reading it. It's a very good manga in my opinion.
It's not too often when an anime has it all. This one is well directed and edited. The art is amazing and suits the plot well. The music also is amazing. 10/10.

May 2, 2009 8:33 PM
Mar 2008
GuUguk said:
I might add a new question, why was Fujiki trying to improve his calligraphy skills using his left hand even though he was right-handed (at least until his right arm was cut)?

I don't think the storyboard left any unanswered questions but maybe some vague ones...Follow the hints :) (I'm not trying to be smart ass, just trying not to spoil the fun...)

His left arm was cut, imo you always say his left arm seen from his point of view. In first episode he miss his left arm...
May 7, 2009 8:30 AM

Jul 2008
yeah you're right. I'm always bad with right & left but still it does not change that he was using his other hand to improve his calligraphy skill, which might hint why (or how?) fujiki lost his dominant arm or not.
Anyways, the brilliance of the series lies in the plot rather than the quite disturbing sado-mazo story... Also imo, the director of shigurui is exceptional (see Texhnolyze for more information :)), thus I tend to relate some scenes inductively based on my trust to his directing.
Jun 6, 2009 1:30 PM
Jun 2007
amazing series though we know fujiki is gona win yet i wud def like to see HOW he cuts him down .....!
Jun 13, 2009 6:41 PM
Jan 2009
DeathfireD said:

He was trying to clear his master's throat so he could breath and not suffocate from blood. But ya, it was pretty sick since we basically already knew he was dead when the blade cut his face in half.

Thank you for clarifying that... at that moment I was literally gawking at the screen in shock. Pretty crazy.
Sep 18, 2009 11:06 PM

Dec 2007
TheBastid said:

Um....of course they can't show the fight if the manga is not even finished.

I've been reading the manga, they are currently on volume 10. The anime only shows the first 6 volumes. So you still have volumes 7-10 to catch up....and oh yeah....the story hasn't even BEGUN yet. It's just getting better and better.

http://raw-manga.aceboard.fr/289134-471-4602-0-Shigurui-2007.htm

You can get the mangas here....but it's all raw with no translations. So if you don't read Japanese, you're out of luck

You'll see many things in the manga, things such as Fujiki's past, and why he's so loyal to Kugan.

And you'll see how Fujiki lost his arm, and the great fight between Big Mouth guy and Irako.

What do you mean "of course they can't show the fight?" You've never heard of an anime taking a different path than the manga? That's highly unusual if you haven't.

They should have either waited until the fight in the manga was decided, or went ahead and made their own ending. Ending it like this made absolutely no sense. The first episode jumped way too far in the future. Overall the anime is okay, but how good can any anime be without any type of conclusion?

I'll give it a 7/10.
Nov 28, 2009 5:40 PM

Jan 2008
AAA - Absolutely Awesome Anime
There were so many moments when I had to say wow to myself. I just have to get second season.

Going to set it to my top 5 since I enjoyed every second of this story.

EDIT: Yesterday night I had dream about Kogan, actually it was nightmare. We were in some kind of dungeon and he was absolutely crazy and hold someone captive, it was so living. Wow, never happened to me before.
Heartless_czNov 29, 2009 5:48 AM
Dec 16, 2009 6:59 PM
Mar 2008
6 / 10 complete average with added +

There is no excuse for wasting 12 episodes of my life and not completing the story - Setting up this kind of cliffhanger is ultra lame. And just for that i am downrating it 5 points. Especially because they set the cliffhanger at the beginning.

No, i am not only rating how a story is told, i am rating the ENTIRE story, and from that this anime could have been condensed in a 60minute ova - thats how little story was told, how little story was explained, and how little sense the few bits they explained made in context of the cliffhanger they set up at the beginning. Hell they even brushed the trainee that joined of in 1 episode, they brushed entire years off without even so much as a mention, they skip around in time on a whim.

Its the typical sign of an anime that has no complete source material. So maybe my rating will change once i see season 2 ;) Atm i am glad i watched it.. but calling it a complete experience would be an insult to .. better anime.
Jan 1, 2010 1:53 PM

Aug 2008
Heartless_cz said:
EDIT: Yesterday night I had dream about Kogan, actually it was nightmare. We were in some kind of dungeon and he was absolutely crazy and hold someone captive, it was so living. Wow, never happened to me before.
Poor you. Jesus Christ on a bicycle. Kogan freaks the shit outta me.

It was aiight. Pretty disturbin' but an interestin' watch~
Jan 9, 2010 7:23 AM

Sep 2009
Loved it!
Jan 15, 2010 3:26 AM
Jan 2010
O man, stayed up way too late watching this one hehe. The last episode had me on my toes the whole way through. I hope that the anime will continue beyond this but i realize it more than likely will not. Disturbing yet beautiful at the same time. I loved it. I never could decide who my "protagonist" in this show would be but i guess i would side with Irako, because of his unwillingness to blindly follow without question.
Mar 17, 2010 8:01 PM

Oct 2009
Great anime but it's been what 2 or 3 years now since season 1?

i highly doubt there will be a season 2 :-(
Apr 26, 2010 7:25 PM

Mar 2008
completely agree with Zugy and eRe4s3r :S:S
I just don´t understand all the hyped up people giving this show nines and tens :S I can´t even rate it! It´s as if I tried to rate a show based on the first 20% of it.
This anime has no right to call itself completed. As eRe4s3r stated, it is clearly all over the place and lacks the basic composition, which for an anime that relies this heavily on plot is simply unacceptable.

The only thing that kept me from dropping the show (I found the slowness of it rather tedious) was the wish to find out the circumstances that lead to the first episode and it´s outcome. This show just pulled a cheap trick on me.
May 23, 2010 5:17 AM

Apr 2010
May it be completed or not... I really enjoyed it. In my opinion it deserves 10/10 because they didn't make any faults. The art is brilliant, the story itself, the characters the music, the suspense. Everything fits.

To demand a complete story is nonsense, since the manga isn't/wasn't even completed. Plus, imagine this style of anime with its slow storytelling in a second season, let's say 24 episodes. This just would be torture for the producers (effort with its details and all) and the viewers (how many episodes you're able to watch each day, I could just watch max. 3). It is, after all, really hard to watch though it's worth it. Especially if you're a gore fan.
Jul 5, 2010 2:04 AM

Apr 2009
This reminds me of my Tenjou Tenge watching days, when I almost started crying when the series ended (sad yeah I know), but there's so much shit left unsolved that I might as well just pick up the manga. I'm a total Irako fan. I mean, blind and cripple samurai versus one armed guy, yeah, that's right, fuck the one armed guy.
Aug 12, 2010 10:04 PM

May 2009
I'm not a gore fan, and I had to watch happy shows in-between episodes to assure myself that humanity isn't that cruel, but I can't help loving the show. Excellent stuff.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Dec 3, 2007

53 by xoxondudi »»
Mar 11, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 3 Discussion

zq - Sep 4, 2007

49 by xoxondudi »»
Mar 11, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 9 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 28, 2007

36 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 8, 2023 2:27 AM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 7 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 2, 2007

34 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 7, 2023 4:08 PM

Poll: » Shigurui Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

_edge_ - Oct 25, 2007

58 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 7, 2023 3:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.