Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 3, 2008 6:45 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The narration leads me to believe either one of two things will come to pass. Reueuntal will turn traitor and revolt against the empire or one of the twin star admirals will die. I'm leaning towards the former. Reinhard's inherent need for a strong enemy still remains. Reuental could fill the void if he rebels but I don't think he'll ever come close to Yang's level.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Aug 17, 2008 10:53 PM

Sep 2007
OMG fuck you stupid narrator. >_>
Quit foreshadowing people dying!

In any case, I also agree that Reuental will rebel to give the Kaiser an enemy. Between he and Julian, they should be able to win, but the narrator suggests that Reuental will die in the process.
Aug 18, 2008 3:26 PM

Mar 2008
Haha doesn't the narrator spoil everything? =P At any rate I'm happy to see you got this far this fast! <3
Nov 9, 2008 4:48 AM

Apr 2008
I really hate when the narrator hints the death of one of my fave characters :(
Indeed, Reuenthal death is the most logical one, there are two many hints that he can turn into a traitor, but most of all, that he wishes to die. He was having a more and more self-destructing behaviour, to the despair of Mittermeier.
To be honest, I am wondering if LOGH will be of same interest for me with Yang and Reuenthal deaths.
Hope this event will not happen to soon.
Jun 25, 2009 12:04 AM

Apr 2009
Thanks to the narrator that cant keep his mouth shut, Im almost certain that Reuenthal will become a traitor, if not for the sole reason of giving his Kaiser an enemy to fight. It may not be as dramatic as Reinhard and Yang facing off, but Reinhard vs Reuenthal should be pretty entertaining anyway.

Oct 20, 2009 2:16 PM

Jan 2009
Sigh the narrator is the one bad thing about this show. He sure likes to talk about things that haven't happened yet.

Anyway's the scene with Muller and Julian was really awesome, and it's nice to see Julian step up to the plate so well.
Oct 21, 2009 1:37 AM

Jan 2008
Osaka117 said:
Thanks to the narrator that cant keep his mouth shut,

Wouldnt be much of a narrator then, would he? :P
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Nov 4, 2009 5:20 AM

Jul 2008
so another hints from the narrator..it is very likely now that Reuenthal will go against Rienhard..
Dec 29, 2009 9:07 PM

Apr 2007
naikou said:
OMG fuck you stupid narrator. >_>
Quit foreshadowing people dying!
This dammit. Foreshadowing is great and all, but in some cases like this it can be annoying. For me, it lessened the impact with Yang and will probably do the same with, most likely, Reuental.
Moving along, whichever way this goes I'm looking forward to seeing it play out.

And the end of Mittermeyer's conversation with Bayerlein was hilarious lol
MonochromeDec 29, 2009 9:20 PM
Jan 2, 2010 3:31 AM

Apr 2008
Silly narrator. Though, doesn't it say something about the quality of the show itself when one of the only faults with the show one can find is with something not a part of the show itself? ;D

Also, the use of the season 1 ending sequence was a nice touch.
Jan 23, 2010 6:09 AM

Sep 2008
jeez people, don't you guys understand the dynamics of narration as a storytelling device...cut the guy some slack. I don't think the narrator is 'bad' because:
1. Most of what he foreshadows happens only 2-3 eps after he gives the hint, so its not really 'spoiling' the fun
2. His foreshadowing actually creates more tension/suspense and keeps one on the toes because you don't know when and exactly what is going to happen in the first place. You can only speculate and be more curious about the future events and how things turn out in the bigger picture. That makes it all the more entertaining
and
3. The hints actually help cuz you know, if everything was a complete surprise then you'd go 'WTF' and slip into a coma. At least the narrator helps you with the 'damage control' lol
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 23, 2010 2:02 PM

Jan 2008
I mention this in my long-ass review, but if there was no narrator we would have endless endless ENDLESS exposition from characters, it would be absolutely horrible. But because we've got the narrator, he just sets up the scene and situation, and the characters can just get on with their thing instead of talking for our benefit.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 23, 2010 11:44 PM

Sep 2008
aah your long-ass review was one of the reason I picked up the series. I went back to it again just now and read about 80% of it, and its awesome man. I love how you summed up the whole series in that review, almost like a perfect description.

Beatnik said:
I mention this in my long-ass review, but if there was no narrator we would have endless endless ENDLESS exposition from characters, it would be absolutely horrible. But because we've got the narrator, he just sets up the scene and situation, and the characters can just get on with their thing instead of talking for our benefit.

You're absolutely right of course; that is the main reason for the narrator being there. Unlike most animes, when I'm watching LotGH it feels more like I'm reading an epic sci-fi saga and seeing everything happen at the same time. Its like I dont have to use my imagination to visualize everything, and yet it feels like I'm reading a book, thanks to the narrator and the in-depth character expositions with all the heavy dialogues. If it wasnt for the narrator, I might have dropped the series without giving it a fair chance.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 24, 2010 1:37 PM

Jan 2009
The narrator would be fine if he didn't foreshadow things. Anything else is acceptable.

The shock Reinhard got when he heard the news was written all over his face. A man not only lost his rival, but ultimately his greatest driving force aside from Siegfried. Some Imperial admirals like Bittenfeld thought it was a bluff, and some wondered what would happen now that the war was over like Reuenthal and Wolfgang.

Now that the narrator hinted at Reuenthal's possible revolt, I wonder what he'll do from there.

The best thing this episode was the brief conversation between Wolfgang and Bayerlein:
DeadBonesBrookJan 24, 2010 1:42 PM
Jan 24, 2010 10:33 PM

Sep 2008
DeadBonesBrook said:
The narrator would be fine if he didn't foreshadow things. Anything else is acceptable.

that's what I actually disagree with in my first post above. The fact that the narrators role is crucial goes without saying, but I also think that he isn't spoiling things ...all the foreshadowing is a part of storytelling, and a lot of fiction writers- renowned authors mind you- have used narration to foreshadow events.
Jan 25, 2010 12:40 AM

Jan 2009
Whenever he says "the last time", it's likely someone will die. And he more or less tells you who it will be.
Jan 25, 2010 8:31 AM

Sep 2008
well first, you don't know how, when and the consequences. That's what always has me on my feet; for example, I knew kircheis was going to die thanks to some jackass on youtube but I never thought he would die saving Reinhard from an assassination attempt at the end of the first season. And secondly, Yang's death happened like 3 episodes after the narrator actually hinted at it. I never felt it actually spoiled my fun.

But then some people think its important not to know of anything until the moment it actually happens. Personally, I think that isn't always true. Sometimes knowing just 20-30 % of it actually makes things a whole lot more interesting, and it really comes down to the kind of story you're reading/watching and the overall style. Or maybe that's just me :P
Jan 26, 2010 9:52 PM

Jan 2009
It's probably just you.
Jan 26, 2010 11:16 PM

Sep 2008
lol...shutup :P
Jan 29, 2010 12:44 AM

Apr 2009
that wasnt a spoiler..

the spoil would be actually what reuentall will do ...
he was just preparing the atmosphere :D
May 12, 2010 1:46 AM

Aug 2008
Reuental seems to be likely to be a new foe for Reinhard. How dramatic on so many levels.

I totally saw Reinhard's reaction to Yang's death coming. Poor Reinhard has no one anymore.

Frederica almost saluting Muller was one small source of amusement.
aixelsydMay 13, 2010 1:47 AM
Nov 14, 2010 12:39 PM

Jan 2010
their last handshake...why is the narrator such a deuchebag,thanks mate *sigh*

so...don't tell me Mittermeyer's next,if one more character that i like dies i'm gonna need lots of booze and one day to marathon what's left

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 1, 2011 10:40 AM

May 2010
And people complain about that narrator from Ookami-san (kokuro)?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 1, 2011 7:50 PM
Jun 2011
I don't like the foreshadowing...mostly because those 2 are awesome characters and I don't want them to be separated by whatever event is coming. I would also prefer we have no hint, but when Yang died I was still surprised even though I knew something bad would happen...a little depressed too...haha, why do I get so connected with fictional characters?
Feb 10, 2012 5:52 PM

Sep 2009
I love the Narrator.
Quick and to the point and he doesn't bullshit about.
He's like my Japanese Morgan Freeman.
Feb 17, 2012 2:56 AM

May 2009
Reinhard's reaction to being left behind like that still hurts so much the second time around I'm watching this.

All this narrator hate managed to lighten my mood, so I think I dislike the narrator a little less now. XD
Feb 17, 2012 9:39 PM

Aug 2010
>hating on the god-tier narrator

Come on guys, he's a bro. Foreshadowing just adds to the intense speculation
May 1, 2012 11:20 PM

Mar 2011
Poor Reinhard losing his foe.

Damn, the foreshadow kind of annoyed me, but also has me in anticipation.

Yes, I love the first ED!
May 17, 2012 1:49 PM

Feb 2012
Narrator said:
Of course, they couldn't know at this time that for the "Matchless Twin Stars" of the Imperial Force, it'd be the last time they'd shake hands and it was the last drink they'd have together.

Well, there you have it.

Reinhard said:
I need an enemy.

It's been reiterated again and again over the last two seasons, but to hear Reinhard say it himself and say it so succinctly was striking. If Reinhard dies by the end of the series, he'll be a classic Aristotelian tragic hero, and this will be his tragic flaw.

TowardsTheStars said:
Yes, I love the first ED!

And it was a visual reminder of how much Julian has grown -- he was probably an inch taller than Yang when they last parted.

I also like Mittermeyer's reaction image-worthy response to Bayerlein:

Mittermeyer is not impressed.
Oct 16, 2012 2:01 PM

Nov 2010
The narration after Mittermeyer and Reuenthal see one another for the final time didn't bother me. Reuenthal's want for power was alluded to before... It makes your mind go towards that as the most plausible scenario going forward.

I think the narration also had the effect of lending more weight to the scene between the two close friends. If nothing was said, the scene would be lost as just another talk between those two until it was too late.

The forshadowing gave the viewer not only a small peek at what's to come, but also a chance to reflect upon the relationship between the two and their impact on the series.

the scene where Mittermeyer watches Reuenthal's fleet disappear into space really doesn't mean much unless the viewer knows that it is for the last time.
May 12, 2013 10:46 PM

Aug 2012
Alright, alright.. the narrator is important..
but to foreshadow doom at a time of mourning? God, won't the feels ever stop?!

Also, I absolutely loved how the series basically payed even more tribute to Yang by using the first ed at the end of this episode.. For some reason, it gave me hope.. despite the maelstrom of doom and death.
Jun 14, 2013 6:35 AM

Aug 2010
I really like how the opposing forces have these meetings every now and again, gives a very special grace to the whole show when enemies can sit at the same table and express their feelings and thoughts.

The show is slowly nearing its end having reached the last third, I guess it's time for major characters to part...

I was afraid Mittermeyer's drink would be poisoned towards the end thanks to the narrator. 5/5 great episode.

Ps: Oh right, the first ending, my favorite...at the time it was pretty obvious that Julian was being shaped to stand up against Reinhard one day when Yang would pass the baton. Kinda forgot it in the midst of turmoil.
Jun 14, 2013 9:11 PM

Nov 2011
Osaka117 said:
Thanks to the narrator that cant keep his mouth shut..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 6, 2013 12:35 AM

Jun 2013
Jim_Heart said:
Osaka117 said:
Thanks to the narrator that cant keep his mouth shut..
lol he loves to spoil things with words like "the last time",

.....I don't want to see another major person die.....
Sep 28, 2013 12:32 AM

Nov 2009
So . . . I wonder, will Mittenmeyer be assassinated, or will they be able to cause a fracture between Reunthal and Reinhard (Although instead why didn't they just support the civil war with WenLi instead of creating a new civil war)
Feb 7, 2014 3:34 AM
Feb 2011
It’s laughable that the Terraists just had to flail their sashes around even in their Imperial soldier disguises. Awfully convenient for the Empire to find out who they were. For a powerful autocrat, Reinhard made pretty bold statements about succession. As much as I want him to make babies with Hilda already, it is all but a one-sided love. Seeing him doting on Emil still makes me cringe. And in what way was it awkward when Mittermeyer and Reuental shook hands? The foreboding narration is at it again. That ED just won’t let me take a respite from Yang’s death, dammit.
Aug 9, 2014 12:31 PM

Nov 2013
The first ED! I'm so glad it got brought back, definitely my favourite of the bunch.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 5, 2014 8:55 AM

Dec 2010
Oh man when the first ending came up I went crazy.
I'm in a band! Check it here-
https://fanlink.to/tropicvibez
Nov 14, 2014 9:43 PM

Mar 2012
prosit said:
I'm glad they played the first ending song again. It's my favourite.

Was nice to see it make a return.
Mar 13, 2015 7:35 PM

Aug 2014
I liked the dialogue with Muller and Julian. I liked the twin admirals bits too. Reinhart can act kind of bipolar around that kid.
Jun 3, 2015 2:33 PM
Nov 2014
Muller is a respectable admiral, liked the conversation between Julian and him. I wonder what will Reuental do now, loved that guy.
Jun 4, 2015 10:02 PM

May 2011
Getting good vibes from Oskar Von Reuenthal.

What a ride so far. On to the final phase of the story.
Jun 20, 2015 7:45 PM

May 2012
Damn what impressive development, I really love it! Yet it is so sad :/ That they used the old ED sure touched me quite deep! Really great episode and ending of another arc! Let's see what happens next!
Jul 21, 2015 3:49 AM

Dec 2013
I'm gonna miss Yang :(

Looks like Reuental is probably gonna die soon.
Aug 14, 2015 7:14 AM

Feb 2008
First ending was really fitting here. It's also interesting that they kind of foreshadowed Yang's death since episode 1.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 26, 2015 12:20 AM
Mar 2015
I'm probably in the minority here but I found Reinhard's reaction to the news of Yang's death ... underwhelming.

Not sure if it was the VA or the inevitable emotional climb-down (or up) from the preceding two episodes, but this one was a tiny bit of a letdown for me. Still up there mind you.
Jun 22, 2016 2:57 PM

Aug 2014
YES! They brought back the first ED! I didn't really like the third one tbh.

First the narrator foreshadows Yang's fate now he's doing the same for the Twin Stars? Goddammt!
Jul 10, 2016 12:11 AM

May 2016
Two things. No wait, actually three.

1. Oh Reinhard's increasingly curly hair. It just gets curlier and curlier with each episode. AND THAT VOLUME THO'. Even though I have no idea when's the last time Emil- I mean Reinhard washed his own hair but I just want to smother my face in that, like /no regrets #YOLO -style

2. LOL EMIL I LOVE HIM SO MUCH, DID HE JUST TEAR UP AFTER LEAVING REINHARD'S ROOM? OMG. BRO. IT'S OK. YOU GOT PATTED IN THE HEAD ALL AFFECTIONATE LIKE AND WAS ASKED TO BE FORGIVEN BY THE KAISER HIMSELF. LIKE BRAH, YOU GOT IT GOOD.

3. That narrator... I actually appreciated the fact that he foreshadowed the doom and gloom for me because then I can stare misty-eyed at the last dinner, which was more like the last sip of fine wine ft. handshake, of the twin star bromance before they part ways FOREVER.

I wished they played the 1st ending in the last episode. After watching the reactions of Yang's subordinates after hearing the news, seeing the 3rd ending play right after gave me a good laugh.
"ドSではない。迢ドSだ." - 蘇芳先生、月華撩乱 Romance

Jul 10, 2016 2:18 AM

Jun 2013
chocobanan said:
I wished they played the 1st ending in the last episode. After watching the reactions of Yang's subordinates after hearing the news, seeing the 3rd ending play right after gave me a good laugh.

Well, why not? The 3rd ending is quite appropriate considering how its title literally means "Song of Farewell". Its deliberately cheery tune actually carries a melancholic undertone, which is also conveyed by the lyrics.
Jul 10, 2016 8:30 AM

May 2016
MagisterArcanum said:
chocobanan said:

Well, why not? The 3rd ending is quite appropriate considering how its title literally means "Song of Farewell". Its deliberately cheery tune actually carries a melancholic undertone, which is also conveyed by the lyrics.

That's your feelings. I'm not you, am I? Why would I write about any other opinions but my own?

But if I must give out an explanation, it's because I didn't want to see cheery Yang and his wedding photos after Yang's death. It was the last thing I wanted to see, the 3rd ending that is.
"ドSではない。迢ドSだ." - 蘇芳先生、月華撩乱 Romance

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.