Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 1, 2010 3:54 PM

May 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my god this is the best show ever! Seriously hilarious, both intentionally and unintentionally, and I love the fanservice. I love the groovy psychedelic animation too. It's interesting how long they made the ED, they would never do that in a modern show. And darn, that preview gave too much away.
“Money can't buy dere”
Jul 11, 2011 4:44 PM

Apr 2011
Pretty awesome first episode, it lacks the nudity that made the later series so enjoyable, even when she's topless it's Barbie doll nudity. Ah well, things may have been different in the 70s. Both OP and ED were way longer than I'm used to. And finally, WTF w Black Claw's hairdo, I lol'd and cringed at the same time.

4/5
Nov 11, 2012 11:22 AM

Oct 2008
Weird 70's art style. Anyway, it was kinda stupid and something about it just seemed off. But it was funny and it had a lot of action. I'll definitely keep watching.
May 19, 2013 3:15 AM

Feb 2008
I love the faces Honey makes after something perverted.

About the "barbie doll nudity", it was targeted at young boys back then. It's just one 70s children motw show. It's just that times were a bit different back then. They'd never get away even with barbie doll nudity nowadays.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 3, 2015 11:04 PM

Nov 2012
this was so fun!
honey is awesome, and i'm digging the colorful art.
Jan 25, 2016 9:46 PM

Jun 2014
God, that was terrible. Pacing was all over the place and it absolutely makes me happy I wasn't a kid in Japan in 1973...
Aug 23, 2016 6:33 PM

Sep 2013
This was THE most incredible thing I've ever seen. I was laughing non-stop throughout the whole damn thing! The opening song was goofy and the art was cheesy and the hold thing had a camp value over 9000!

5/5!!!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 31, 2017 11:41 AM

May 2012
Really great start I must say! Quite a lovely setting and development in general. Quite love the art style and OST! Looking forward to see what this anime has to offer for a story!
Apr 1, 2017 6:53 PM
Nov 2016
I enjoyed this episode. Weird, funny, and abstract, what's not to like? I can see how the first arc of Sailor Moon was influenced by this show. Also, some of the character designs are pretty silly, though that's probably the point! Hopefully the rest of the series has the same entertainment factor.
Jun 2, 2017 9:50 PM

May 2008
Wow... The pacing is super fast (ie terrible) and with the whole art style of the show it made me feel like I was too sober to watch it. Not good, not bad, but certainly unique.
Jun 7, 2017 9:00 PM
May 2011
Holy crap this was a kids' show back then? Now it would be one of those ecchi shows that air at 1am.
This is so hilariously bad, like something MST3K would run.
Jun 7, 2017 11:08 PM
Nov 2015
It's like Sailor Moon drops acid with Austin Powers and fights monsters, so dang good! Anarchic as heck, like Kill la Kill with less storyline.

In my ideal world, this sort of stuff would be hugely popular.
Mar 4, 2018 11:58 AM

Nov 2016
Gotta say that the pacing was really bad,they went from scene to scene without proper transitions,hence it felt off.

Aside from that it was quirky and a bit fun. Decent overall.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 26, 2018 11:33 AM

May 2016
I just finished watching Devilman Crybaby and became more interested in Go Nagai's other work, so I decided to check out Cutey Honey. It had been on my magical girl watch list for a long time and I've always loved the OP song. After watching the first episode, I am captivated. There's something about the charm of the old school style that I find enchanting.

I think the events in the episode were a little face-paced, but I can see why they decided to open with Honey getting undressed, then breeze through the death of her father, and commit the entire second half to a fight scene. This anime is the first magical girl series that is aimed at boys so they definitely upped the action in this. As someone who is used to seeing a quick five minute fight at the end of the episode in other super sentai mahou shoujo like Sailor Moon or Precure, I really enjoyed the intense action in this episode. I'm curious as to whether this will be a reoccurring element to Cutey Honey or if this was just used as a hook for the first episode.

I am also curious to see if the show will further develop the distinction between humans and androids and if Honey will have to work through these feelings.

All in all I'm pleased to see more of this anime and I can definitely see why is has remained such a strong classic not just for mahou shoujo but for anime in general!
“May those who accept their fate be granted Happiness, may those who defy their fate be granted Glory.”
Aug 26, 2018 11:38 AM

May 2016
Blind_Guardian said:
Pretty awesome first episode, it lacks the nudity that made the later series so enjoyable, even when she's topless it's Barbie doll nudity. Ah well, things may have been different in the 70s. Both OP and ED were way longer than I'm used to. And finally, WTF w Black Claw's hairdo, I lol'd and cringed at the same time.

4/5

I read on Wikipedia that Toei toned down a lot of the nudity from the manga (haven't read it so I can't corroborate that) since the show was meant to be shown in a time slot that typically aired magical girl series and was going to be aimed at girls. But apparently the slot got filled by Miracle Shoujo Limit-chan and they ended up moving it to a shounen show time slot. I wonder why they decided to aim the anime at girls though since I believe the manga was published in a shounen magazine. Maybe they were worried boys wouldn't take well to a series that had a female protagonist..?
“May those who accept their fate be granted Happiness, may those who defy their fate be granted Glory.”
May 21, 2019 8:31 AM
Jan 2017
This show was pretty good for a 70's anime. I love the artstyle and the 1st episode seemed soo fast pace. Just a case of ok big reveal I'm an android, father died, annd theres 1 key foe who will surley take several epsidoes to kill y- oh no wait she's dead

Apr 25, 2020 12:59 AM

Oct 2010
insane battles, Honey rocks, she even sang the op when she beat up the bad dudes, this anime is legendary

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cutey Honey Episode 7 Discussion

felix1290 - Mar 3, 2015

5 by deoclasher88 »»
Mar 28, 2023 12:45 AM

Poll: » Cutey Honey Episode 3 Discussion

Seabury - Dec 13, 2010

6 by povsuduvolosy »»
Dec 4, 2022 1:19 PM

Poll: » Cutey Honey Episode 11 Discussion

towelgirl21 - May 11, 2015

8 by MagicalStapler »»
Nov 15, 2022 9:02 PM

Poll: » Cutey Honey Episode 18 Discussion

silverwalls - Jun 9, 2015

3 by Punkero »»
Sep 17, 2022 7:19 PM

Poll: » Cutey Honey Episode 13 Discussion

silverwalls - Jun 7, 2015

4 by Punkero »»
Sep 13, 2022 5:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.