Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2010 1:42 PM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wonderful story with life like characters, when Mathew past away it was like one of my relatives just die. Another old school series to my collection, the more I watch old school anime the more I realize how crappy most new series are. For me 10/10.
ClosedCXSep 27, 2010 1:47 PM
Oct 10, 2010 7:13 PM

Oct 2009
One of the best, if not the best series I've seen. Anne Shirley is amazing.
Jan 9, 2011 7:20 AM

Apr 2008
Ortiz said:
the more I watch old school anime the more I realize how crappy most new series are. For me 10/10.

You said it all now. :D Now you have to discover the rest of the wonderful world masterpiece Theater series. :)
Feb 18, 2012 1:27 AM

Feb 2010
The series, from what I've seen, is loyal to the source material. I'm not sure if there are English subs that use the novel's text - but I encourage using those if you have the option. The subs I watched on VEOH did not use Montgomery's writing, which is in itself delightful and part of what makes Anne of Green Gables such an elegant and heartrending story.

And there was always the bend in the road!
Dec 27, 2013 4:45 PM

Sep 2007
A great series, definitely with some lacrimose moments toward the end. Marilla looked so old and frail in the last few episodes, which was sad.

I couldn't help but notice the name on Matthew's gravestone said Thomas Cuthbert. Was that just a mistake in translation?
Dec 27, 2013 4:46 PM

Sep 2007
hellogoodbye said:
The series, from what I've seen, is loyal to the source material. I'm not sure if there are English subs that use the novel's text - but I encourage using those if you have the option. The subs I watched on VEOH did not use Montgomery's writing, which is in itself delightful and part of what makes Anne of Green Gables such an elegant and heartrending story.

And there was always the bend in the road!

From what I could make out, the Japanese dialog was faithful to Montgomery and it seemed like some of the translators didn't know what they were doing.
Jun 22, 2014 10:16 AM

Nov 2011
I love this! Especially because it's so faithful to the original book :) I watched Little Princess Sara before this, and it was full of fillers (Ok, Sara is much shorter as a book, and they maybe made the anime better).
Now I just feel like grabbing some Anne books and sitting to the corner and read them :)

I definitely want to see more WMT series! I just started Romeo no Aoi Sora with my little brother, and Watashi no Ashinaga Oji-san is probably the next that I'm going to watch by myself. Of course I need to watch Konnichiwa Anne too, and there's also so much more...

Feb 18, 2015 1:09 AM

Oct 2008
Really lovely series that's for sure,its impossible nowadays to recreate this charm and atmosphere in any anime.
Jun 5, 2015 4:59 PM

Nov 2013
Loved it. A nice, simple tale of a girl growing up with no unnecessary embellishments to take away from its realism — just how I like my slice of life. Shows like this are heavily reliant on the likeability, portrayal, or development of the characters, and luckily Akage no Anne delivered in all these aspects. Anne herself was quite an interesting character, endearing and full of imagination, and I enjoyed watching her grow from a talkative 11-year-old child into a lovely 16-year-old girl. Other characters such as Marilla, Matthew, and Diana were also great and felt very genuine. Marilla in particular underwent some very gradual and natural development as she cared for the young Anne during the course of the series.

Akage no Anne reaffirms Takahata as one of my favorite anime directors. Omoide Poroporo will always be my favorite work of his, but this ranks as a close second.
Jun 12, 2015 11:10 AM

Sep 2007
I do with they would also adapt Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island as well. Maybe even Anne's House of Dreams. I'd love to see Anne trying to befriend Leslie Moore in an adaptation.
Sep 2, 2015 11:06 PM
Aug 2011
Lovely.
I enjoyed it thoroughly. ;~;

It was such a pleasure to watch Anne grow up into a young woman who chases her dreams regardless of how much her dreams may have changed.
Though I miss that little girl fast-paced talking girl, with grandiose vocabulary and too much imagination.

Great characters- Matthew a kind soul through and through and Marilla who showed her love towards Anne in a different way but had lots of love for her no matter how stern she might have been in the past.

Gilbert was sweet in his own way, quietly doing things for Anne despite their rivalry. Even Anne says that she wasted 5 ways in getting to know him.

I would have seen countless more episodes of this- but it's still a beautiful ending.
Nov 27, 2015 4:08 PM

Dec 2014
What a way to end the series, the conclusion was very satisfying. Thank god, Anne and Gilbert forgave each other and that hint for romance xD

Akage No Anne was definitely a journey for me and with a lead such as Anne, I am satisfied. 9/10
Apr 3, 2016 6:08 AM

Dec 2011
That was a brilliant story with full of emotions and really sad when Mattew died.I never know Anne of the green gables before that and now i need to watch the 3 movies and 2 of it are sequels of the anime i think.
Jun 8, 2016 9:28 AM

Jul 2010
I didn't expect much going into this series as I rarely go for the historical drama pieces but man I was hooked on the first episode, there was no action, no ultimate evil to defeat just plain old slice of life from the 1800s and it was so interesting to see how it was back then and for a late 70s anime it was quite detailed actually especially with the backgrounds, sure I noticed some animation errors here and there but for it's time it looks just gorgeous and felt like I was there. So glad I randomly decided to give this anime a try and will not look into other anime like these or perhaps even the prequel of this!
May 15, 2017 5:13 AM
Jul 2009
As someone who grew up with this endearing story of Anne of Green Gables and, in general, being an ardent reader and fan of the literary works of the nineteenth and early twentieth century, I could not be happier or more satisfied with this anime. While all the credit goes to the original author for penning an unforgettable story and such distinctive but life-like characters, I am short of words to compliment the director of this series for his command of story-telling, for in watching it I felt the same pleasure as I do when reading a book. In that, the way each episode was so artistically directed, the narration included, painted such a perfect picture of each scene, while still leaving much to your imagination, such as Anne and Gilbert just standing there and talking for 30 minutes - you know there was nothing more that needed to be expressed, but the sweetness of the scene makes you wonder all the words that might have passed and you find yourself lost in thoughts and smiling uncontrollably.

And when Anne said "God is in heaven. Everything is well on earth", in that particular moment, i felt as if it was the voice of my own heart recounting so. Only a true masterpiece is capable of eliciting such response/reaction from its viewer where you're so engrossed in the life of a character that you become one with it.
Sep 13, 2017 1:08 AM

Feb 2016

I didn't expect much going into this show, it was just something simple to watch, nothing hard to solve like watching Serial Experiments Lain to pass the time. Having watched a cleaner, crisper animated 'Before Green Gables' first, I had my inherent bias, which I carried begrudgingly into the show.

Boy was I wrong on all accounts. The character development was just phenomenal, and how skillfully they managed to pace the story of Anne's growth, literally, with the seasons. Oh how vivid the seasons were! The background was so beautiful and detailed. It felt like I was really travelling along the ocean road, or walking beneath the trees in lover's lane, or crossing the iconic bridge towards Green Gables.

I had my reservations of course, with a quarter of the show done, I was getting impatient and sick of the episodic stories of troublemaker selfish narcissistic Anne getting upset at the most trivial of things (at least in my eyes). But I can see how important it was to establish at the base how Anne was like as a child, if only to be used later nostalgically when Anne was becoming a respectful, gentle and considerate mature woman.

I was wrong, wrong, wrong. This is definitely a show I will put on the rewatch list.

See you space cowgirl.
Somewhere, somehow.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 15, 2017 12:43 AM

Aug 2014
Loved every moment of this. This series defines the term character growth. Looking forward to reading the books and seeing how far Montgomery can take this character.

And shout-out to all the kindred spirits here who have made it to the end! Anne will never leave our hearts and minds, that I am sure of.
Jan 10, 2018 11:20 PM
May 2015
BRAVOOOO BRAVOOOOO!!!

Loved this series. I liked the younger Anne, though, was rather disappointed that she lost some of her characteristics that I loved in the beginning, but it also showed how growing up can change a person. The young Anne gave me a lot of laughs, with her dead serious look in her eyes and being melodramatic over everything, loved it.

I was disappointed at this episode because I felt like the long awaited forgiveness for Gilbert was a bit lackluster. However, I am glad that she finally does and they seem to finally get together.

Because of the change in her character, however, the main reason for me watching it also died down so I felt the last 10 or so episodes to drag on a bit much. It was meaningful, but I really did miss the Anne that I originally watched the show for.

The show sort of stayed in the middle ground, never hit home on the drama, romance, etc. For me, that was its strength but also its weakness. It's easy to watch, but I felt many scenes were not pulled off to their possible full potential.

The feeling of emptiness after watching an anime such as this, feels like I've just left a part of me back at Green Gables.
Nate515Jan 10, 2018 11:23 PM
Feb 11, 2018 7:30 PM

Oct 2012
a masterpiece. i will miss anne dearly.
Jan 22, 2019 9:47 PM
Jul 2018
I'm just echoing what everyone here is saying but this is definitely a masterpiece. It was nuanced,gentle, and bittersweet with extremely strong characterization and a direction that's just unmatched. The atmosphere and the soundtrack that just took me to another world.

I added Matthew,Marilla, and Anne to my favorite characters list because they deserve it. Fully realized personalities that felt like family.

We're never gonna get something like this again but at least there are other World Masterpiece Theater series. Here's hoping they're as excellent as this one.
Feb 22, 2019 12:23 PM

Oct 2011
mediocre animation. good source material. good choice of music and the seiyuu work in emotional scenes were great!

haven't read Anne of Green Gables, but read Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm before.. could predict what happens, which was a bit of a bummer. would've been easier to sweep me off my feet otherwise. mediocre for the most part, but neat that we can see great books adapted to the screen.

Aug 19, 2019 5:40 AM
Mar 2010
Unparalleled. The best slice of life and I can't see how this can be surpassed. The characters and their relationships felt so real to such an extend that they felt like real family. What they went through is also vividly felt by the viewer and i can attribute this to only a handful of pieces of work. Anne is one of the most admirable and inspiring characters; be it fiction or not and will stick with me for the rest of my days.

Thank you Mr. Takahata and Ms. Montgomery. You've made me to always strive to be a better human being. Words fail in expressing how much this show means to me.
Aug 20, 2019 8:40 AM
Aug 2018
I have been thinking this for a while now, but I truly wish that they had made a sequel to this anime instead of a prequel with "Konnichiwa Anne: Before Green Gables".
I wonder why they decided to do that.

Just imagine another 39 episodes with Anne growing up, marrying, having children.
There are several books left that this adaption didn't cover.

Edit:

Just finished reading the first book. If you are into books, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

I came by to say one thing. If I remember correctly Anne was 10 when she had that fight with Gilbert. It took her roughly 3 years before she was over that incident and another 3 years until she was actually able to talk with him and forgive him.
tr25a3Dec 22, 2019 2:45 PM
Feb 13, 2020 2:48 PM

Aug 2015
Im so sad it ended,
I didnt like the second part that much tbh before Ann grew up she was much more fun becuase of her uniqe speeches and wild imagination and she made me appriciate the little thing in life like trees, flowers, the road to my house etc,
Also some of the episodes in the second half felt pointless or rather uninteresting, for example in this episode they rushed the momnet we all been waiting for, Ann finally forgives Gilbert after 6 long years and all we get is just 10 minutes, they could've used that plotline 8-9 episodes before and suddenly the second half is much more interesting and meaningful.

This anime overall was nothing like anything ive ever seen before, im glad the old animation & art did not put me off and i gave it a try! I want to give it a 10/10 but the second half was a bit weak for me so 9/10.
NameLessMofoFeb 13, 2020 3:13 PM
Apr 1, 2020 6:46 AM
May 2016
Akage no Anne is one of the best animes I've ever seen. This anime is very underrated and should score at least 9/10 here in MAL
Jul 14, 2020 8:00 AM
May 2019
Hmm, and so it ends. Really enjoyed this one, albeit not my type of story. It is marvelously crafted to say the least. The animation is incredible & fluid for its time, and the soundtrack is just the same quality. I have yet to actually read the books though, but I certainly will in the future. This show assuredly is not for everyone, yet I believe it is still somewhat underrated on this site.
Nov 14, 2020 9:11 PM
Oct 2018
I know its a cliche to say a show is over-rated. But this show is sooooooo over-rated.

Honestly, one of the most excruciatingly boring animes I ever watched (which is my fault, I suppose, for sitting through all fifty goddam episodes- I knew it was boring af a half dozen eps in. But hearing how much people rave about it, I assumed that eventually it must get good... turns out I was wrong...)

I can kinda see the appeal in the saccharine, 80s shoju aesthetic, and the retro art. But thats not enough to sustain a standard, 26 ep series, let alone double that.
Dec 4, 2020 3:47 AM

Jul 2019
Anne is amazing. She can carry the show alone. xD
Enjoyed every episode. Art is beautiful to look at. Tahakata poured his soul in this work.
Mar 17, 2021 3:40 PM

Aug 2015
I am amazed at the evolution of Anne throughout the series. She has matured incredibly as a person. She was a very appearance-focused character and her difficult childhood caused her to envy material things and yet she has grown into an adult who is able to recognize the smallest moments of happiness.

Marilla and Matthew were also excellent characters, and I particularly enjoyed their chemistry with Anne. The two were complementary in raising Anne, although Marilla was much more influential.

50 episodes is too short, and I feel like there is still a lot to tell about Anne's life. Maybe I will read the sequels in novels?
Mar 25, 2021 3:45 PM

Dec 2012
Anne's decision to withdraw from university and focus on caring for Marilla is a humbling reminder of what's truly important in life. I like how Anne so imaginatively phrases it; that carefully walking a narrow, bending path can be more enriching than running freely on a straight, open plain. It may not offer her the same worldly opportunities, but I've learned that sometimes it's those unconventional detours that help us grow the most. It was good to see how Anne could make that decision with peace of mind instead of regretful necessity. I also liked seeing her resolve her childhood spat with Gilbert and they seem to be off to a fantastic new start (hue hue!).

Akage no Anne is certainly going to leave an unforgettable impression. Having taken over three years to finally see this through, I felt a strange sense of attachment to Anne's growth as I'd only known her as that wildly imaginative young girl for so long. There's a feeling of catharsis that comes with finally bringing this to a close, but also a yearning to see what kind of woman Anne will become. I suppose it's a bit of a stretch to ask for a sequel some 40+ years later. Overall, I found the whole premise to be entirely astonishing in that a sibling duo each serves as a parental figure for an orphan girl. Between Matthew's awkward nerves & Marilla's stern demeanor, it was a pleasure to watch as they went from simple guardians to Anne's irreplaceable family. Matthew's last words to Anne still resound in my head as I still marvel at how Anne's appearance in their lives went from an unhappy mistake to a gift from above.

I think the only two things that bothered me about this show were the narrator & the tone of certain scenes. With the narrator, sometimes it felt like he was overstating the obvious and his intervention wasn't welcome - particularly during Matthew's funeral & the time of mourning. As for the latter, there were times early on when Anne's woe filled monologues felt comedic and I wasn't sure if I should laugh or sympathize with her. In some cases, I would shrug right along with Marilla, unsure of what to make of it all.

Even still, that's not a criticism of Anne's enormous imagination. Though it could get a bit heavy to read line after line, I found her enthusiasm inspiring & encouraging as she would take mundane scenes of nature and turn them into fantastical wonderlands that had endless possibility for a child's curiosity. It was also nice to see how as Anne matured into a fine young lady, she kept that imagination going strong within her heart. This is especially clear in the final episodes as she pours that heart out to Marilla. And that's probably my favorite part of Anne & Marilla's bond. That Marilla went from perplexed shrugs to finding comfort in Anne's poetic perspective.

8.5/10
Apr 15, 2021 2:57 PM
Jan 2019
Would Like to change the picture of the anime there are not great there better one clicking on the image :D
Jun 16, 2021 7:00 PM

Jun 2019
My 44th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 9/10 rating.
Jun 25, 2023 7:35 PM

Jul 2021
Anne's remarkable resilience in the face of life's adversities, coupled with her infectious smile, is captivating. Throughout the course of these 50 episodes, the transformation and growth exhibited by these characters is so profound that they undergo a metamorphosis, rendering them nearly unrecognizable.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 7, 2023 4:59 AM

May 2019
This is the end of the first World Masterpiece Theatre title that I have watched. At first I thought I might not enjoy the show because of its very slow pacing and terrible records with Takahata's works. But the more I watched, I slowly warmed up with the show because of how compelling Anne is as a kid. I love her relationship  with the so called bosom friend Diana and how she matures up from trivialities to the hardships that she has been through during the hard time with optimism and free spirited wonder. And it's been a blessing to get attached with Anne and the rest of the Avonlea's residents. Watching Anne grow from an imaginative, short temper and childish chatterbox to an intelligent, sensible and kind country girl really makes me feel like I have raised that girl so well. I'm also planning to read the rest of the novel. And it's also the first time I see her blushing lol, what a good tease for future romance. This is not the end but it's just the beginning!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 16 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 24, 2012

13 by RedSwordHeart »»
Dec 21, 2023 3:57 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 21, 2012

5 by Dumb »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:13 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jan 21, 2012

8 by Dumb »»
Nov 22, 2023 1:31 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jan 21, 2012

28 by Dumb »»
Nov 21, 2023 8:46 PM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 47 Discussion

stand - Sep 2, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Sep 26, 2023 3:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.