Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 15, 2008 6:21 PM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Strange story...I must re-watch it.
Sep 3, 2008 4:44 AM

May 2008
I wish this OVA was longer. I've never seen anything like this before...
Oct 1, 2008 6:27 PM

Aug 2007
It's quite unique as an OVA, had an eerie vibe to it. Unfortunately the video I watched was of mediocre quality, I think I would've enjoyed it more if otherwise.
Oct 13, 2008 8:29 PM

Mar 2008
I definitely loved it. I was completely impressed with the plot, the idea, the characters----and how they were able to summarize everything in only three episodes. You couldn't go past 1/4 of the episode without something interesting happening.
Oct 24, 2008 7:02 PM
Jun 2008
This ova was certainly unique. It was so beautiful yet at the same time dark. I wish it was longer. I love the music combine with the atmosphere. I wanted to know more.
May 2, 2009 3:20 AM

Mar 2009
I liked the series as a whole but did feel I was missing something, maybe I should watch it again soon. But I did love the music and the way it looked

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Jul 14, 2009 10:07 PM

Apr 2008
I liked this anime.
But i agree it seemed liek it missed something...
I got a bit confused through it though...
Aug 8, 2009 5:14 PM

Mar 2008
it was a brilliant show!! decent one!!
Shinbou Akiyuki is definitely a genious director. And Inoue Marina is perfect with voicing and singing as usual!
But what really is beautiful is the methaphorical story. It goes about a novice artist, who was once biased by the artwork of another one and who is now going through hell and living water trying to find his own unique artstyle.
Fantastic anime!
Aug 12, 2009 10:16 PM
May 2008
This is truly a unique and very well-done short OVA series. The haunting and romantic themes clearly suck you in and make you feel like they truly exist along with it being backed up by beautiful animation and a soundtrack. Along with how the story and characters were set up and executed, I just don't see another short OVA series (much less a romantic anime series) that is ever going to bring it up to this level. Simply brilliant and as Soulelle mentioned Shinbou Akiyuki is certainly a genius director. ^^
Sep 19, 2009 5:54 PM

Jun 2009
Well, i'll be the odd one out. It's true that the atmosphere, music, and visuals were well done. But, I think that the characters were very flat and I really really dislike it when a show forgoes character development for pretty graphics. I do understand that it was never really the point, nor intention, to focus on the characters; and the storytelling shows this. But, it is possible to make the story ambiguous while still developing the characters.

6/10. it was entertaining but it just wasn't as deep as it pretended to be imo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 11, 2009 7:30 AM

Jun 2009
Very stylish, original, atmospheric and emotional anime with good plot. Liked it very much, 8/10.
Dec 23, 2009 3:19 AM

Aug 2008
great anime, the plot, graphics, music, mysterious Cosette. characters feelings and the recital of 2 cosette were great <3
Apr 14, 2010 1:00 PM
Apr 2009
That was some fucking weird shit.
May 11, 2010 11:24 AM

Dec 2009
This anime was simply awesome.
May 15, 2010 10:42 AM

Dec 2008
its really awesome its combination of gothic art and guro. this is really go to aired at phil~
Jun 1, 2010 8:23 PM
Feb 2010
Holy... this show was one hell of a rollercoaster ride. It was kinda confusing at first, but I'm glad everything was revealed in the end. I'm not sure what to think about this... It's so unique and artistic.

Jun 15, 2010 7:16 PM

May 2009
am i the only one who never knew what the fuck was going on the whole time?
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Sep 11, 2010 1:51 PM

Apr 2009
insan3soldiern said:
I do understand that it was never really the point, nor intention, to focus on the characters; and the storytelling shows this. But, it is possible to make the story ambiguous while still developing the characters.

Yes, and it is possible to ruin everything by doing so, too.

It pretended to be something? Oh, right... and it was ambiguous, too. Silly me.
Nov 4, 2010 11:46 AM

Aug 2009
This episode patched up every hole, at least for me. How deep or not deep something is depends on how far someone is willing to look into it.
So for me it just pushed the right button. Having mixed feelings throughout of it, I found this tention made this a great watch for me.
5/5 and overall 10/10, one of the few i have given.
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Nov 30, 2010 9:05 AM

Apr 2008
I liked this episode (and this anime) in general. But the odd things is that I don't know why I liked it. Overall, I would think it was ok at best. Like I said, ...odd.
Jan 10, 2011 10:51 AM

May 2010
This last episode was so powerful for me. I definitely got goosebumps when he dipped his paintbrush into his own blood. Both literally and symbolically, that scene was so vivid, I think I'm going to remember it forever. One thing that really struck me afterwards was how when he reunited with Cossette, I thought to myself "this is so hokey and absurd that it just feels fake, maybe I'll have to dock a point." Then, it turns out, that was the fake Cossette! It's just so interesting that they subtly changed her character during that scene, so subtle that I attributed it to bad writing. So yeah, I don't know what insan3soldiern is talking about, I thought the characterization was wonderful, this is one of my 10/10 anime for sure.
“Money can't buy dere”
Feb 26, 2011 10:00 PM

Jan 2010
This was brilliant. As an Edgar Allan Poe enthusiast, I saw a LOT of thematic elements that reminded me of his works.

But seriously, this little 3-episode OVA was stupendous. The atmosphere, the mood, the visuals, the music... It all fit together perfectly.
Apr 21, 2011 8:50 AM

Dec 2007
Overall it was as meaningless as it's meaningful o.O
The music was....'beautiful' is not enough to describe it, the art was fine, the plot was good and bad in the same time. A show that's hard to be described with words...There were too many unnessecary stuff, the story aws lost at times and too confusing...
It was hard to complete it!
Very powerful ep...I loved the part where he started painting with his own blood <3
5/10 ... I think....
Mar 17, 2012 10:37 AM
Nov 2011
The OVA was actually very good. I just don't seem to understand why it's so fucking under-rated. 7/10.
Apr 9, 2012 1:11 PM
Feb 2012
It was like watching a good movie. Although movies are predictable most of the time whereas this anime stayed mysterious until the very end. Even the last scene was ambiguous in its own ways. Would I call it an open end? Not really since we know that both Eiri and Cossette found their peace together; and that is what counts the most to me. A strange yet intriguing anime and therefore it deserves an 8/10 rating.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
May 1, 2012 11:08 PM

Feb 2012
I don't frighten easily. And indeed, despite the fact that I appreciate its place within the horror genre, nothing in Le Portrait de Petit Cossette particularly frightened me.

...until the last five seconds.

That final chord followed by that drumbeat filled me with indescribable terror.
Apr 30, 2013 3:22 AM

Aug 2010
While I really liked this series, it was quite confusing and I got lost quite a lot. Then I read the manga and a lot of it made a lot more sense. I still really liked how they did the anime though.
Jun 20, 2013 8:59 AM

May 2013
I love Shana same way as this guy loves Cossette :)
Jul 8, 2013 12:06 AM

Jan 2013
6/10
It lost me, by the end I just didnt care what happened.
Oct 6, 2013 3:57 PM
Aug 2012
so wat exactly happened so cossette passed on the painting went shoko may be like the soul of cossette or somthing he disapears dead maybe alive who knws even tho shoko said he said he will be back tht doesnt make him alive cld mean something else confusing gd erie atmosphere lol dark overall for 3 episodes it was gd tho i wld have like some kinda closure on characters final standings maybe after the credits wld have worked ohwell
Dec 14, 2013 1:32 AM

Mar 2012
ooh that part at the very very end after the credits creeped me out
Dec 18, 2013 8:03 PM

Feb 2013
Absolute work of art.

It will remain my #2 ranked anime for probably quite some time (it was surpassed by Madoka, another Shinbou masterpiece).

The third episode has so much... "warmth". Eiri didn't want to paint a picture of a picture! He wanted to paint the "real" Cossette. The real Cossette has has those little things (flaws) that aren't in the paintings. In the paintings she was "perfect", not real. I absolutely love how this ends. It's still my favorite ending of all anime I have seen. It's so touching, heartwarming, and full of love.

The ED song is now stuck in my head (and has been for the past 3 days)... I wonder how long it will be there...
BurntJellyDec 18, 2013 8:06 PM
Jan 19, 2014 7:39 PM

Mar 2013
This episode was far better than the previous 2. It was really good. I een started reading the manga to grasp more of Cossette.
Feb 20, 2014 11:18 PM

Feb 2014
The story is pretty deep, with stunning visuals and a beautiful soundtrack. Definitely worth watching! And that obsessive love :O
May 13, 2014 10:46 PM
Mar 2013
Even better than the last episode. I could've lived without those bizarre demonic scenes. The story could've been more compact and to be honest there was more than enough symbolism to warrant leaving some scenes out. Especially in the first and second episodes.

In any case, the fake Cossette dies so that the real one may live? The producers don't cut the viewer any slack. You have to watch the entire episode completely if you don't want to miss the short 2-second scene right after the credit role.

It seems everyone got their happy ending.

Cossette woke up from her eternal imprisonment. That means her soul is free to move on to the after life.

Eiri has returned from the spirit world and is going to continue drawing and painting. I don't know if he will ever forget about Cossette, but since she's dead he might start a relationship with Shoko. If that happens I'm sure Shoko will be happy as well.

Apart from those bizarre spirit world scenes, the parts with Cossette and Eiri were well done. I'm glad I got past the first episode to enjoy the second and third ones.
Jul 2, 2014 6:18 AM

Sep 2011
Great finale, but too bad the series wasn't longer so it had more time to develop into a well done story. Lots of holes and overall could have been done a lot better with some more time. That being said, still fairly enjoyable for what it was though. :)
Aug 17, 2014 5:25 PM

Jun 2013
It was okay not even scary. I felt like they just took a complicated plot and made it even more complicated since they believe everyone read the manga. Like they have a masochistic freak for a lead who loves to endure pain to prove his love for the girl who wants to sacrifice his soul by torturing him physically and mentally. Could it get any better? 6/10
Nov 16, 2014 5:22 PM

Oct 2007
Not your typical show, not a bad show.

IMO, if they were to remake this with a tone of Budget and modern graphic at their disposal and develop their character a little better, this could turn into something really crazy.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jan 5, 2015 10:43 PM

Oct 2010
A fantastic composition true to its melancholic theme to the very end. Love, hatred, forgiveness and guilt are not uncommon motifs in anime, but it's rare for it to be expressed with such sincerity, depth and symbolism.

8/10
Jan 15, 2015 8:32 AM

Oct 2013
Well, this is without a doubt my favourite anime (any medium for that matter) now. I'm annoyed at myself for not watching it until now. Every question I had was beautifully wrapped up in this final episode.

The phenomenal art, symbolism and sound had me entranced the entire time and I could not take my eyes away from this unique series for a second. The series certainty has a lot of depth that I was able to wholeheartedly enjoy it as I pieced everything together.

What really blew me away was this episode. This is the perfect example of romance done to absolute perfection. The passion Eiri exhibits is moving and as a result, the ending is very touching. All his and Cossette's emotions were sincere and captivating to watch.

I would love to see more but at the same time I wouldn't. This is definitely a masterpiece and very very underrated.
RqtJan 15, 2015 9:08 AM
Mar 15, 2015 8:08 AM

Aug 2013
very beautiful art and story
the ost also great
I like it..
why this rated so low?
people didn't like a heavy anime?
May 24, 2015 8:20 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Despite its many shortcomings, like weak plot, bland characters (except Cossette), the animation was good and the OST is some of Yuki's finest.
Also it ended well, with Cossette reborning into that chicks body.
7/10
Jun 10, 2015 9:33 PM

Sep 2013
This was some kinky/trippy sht XD

I thought something was off with Cossette when they entered :O lol
So the girl was reborn into Shoko or maybe she's still around in that place with dead and the living based on th elast seconds.

8/10
Jun 20, 2015 8:19 AM

Sep 2014
This OVA is simply under appreciated. Please, anyone should remake this into longer series and call Yuki Kajiura back to work on the OST. I've rewatched it again and again and still, Cosette's beauty is haunting me. If I was Eri, I'd been dead
Maiden, Mother and Corne
Jun 20, 2015 5:56 PM

Mar 2015
insan3Inquisitor said:

Mhm I don't really think this anime pretended to be thaaaaat deep,it's just the way its presented that would make it seem as such.And the presentation is fitting imo given the conext and themes,kinda(not much but kinda) like Satoshi Kon's movies.But I see where you are coming from and it had some pretense(<--I don't mean this as a criticism)

So this is what taking drugs feels like?Beautifully artistic mindscrew anime....liked it.
The themes were all nicely visually presented and the scenarys just looked gurgeous at times.Noteworthy is also how it had a variety of different styles,all really fitting to represent the mood/feel of each scene.
This is an anime you can't judge/rate based on your basic formula and it would be foolish to do so imo.I know it gets overused but this OVA...is art,about art.
For a moment I thought I was watching EoE(LillithRei) again.
Really enjoyed this anime and will rewatch it soon 7/10 and I'm surprised I liked it because the director is one of my least favourites...
I'm surprised that this has a manga,because I honestly can't imagine experiencing it through another medium.
_HeroKenzan_Jul 8, 2015 4:07 AM
Sep 1, 2015 4:12 AM

Aug 2012
insan3Inquisitor said:
Well, i&#039;ll be the odd one out. It&#039;s true that the atmosphere, music, and visuals were well done. But, I think that the characters were very flat and I really really dislike it when a show forgoes character development for pretty graphics. I do understand that it was never really the point, nor intention, to focus on the characters; and the storytelling shows this. But, it is possible to make the story ambiguous while still developing the characters.

6/10. it was entertaining but it just wasn&#039;t as deep as it pretended to be imo.

Agree, but I'll give it 7 for great visuals and naked gothic lolita

ohh marcello
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZiZC5DaWnY

heroashit said:

So this is what taking drugs feels like?Beautifully artistic mindscrew anime....liked it.

Watch Kaiba if you want to know about how drugs feel
Jan 6, 2016 3:44 AM

Aug 2010
This anime was on my to watch list for years. Kinda wasted time watching this, I wish it was still on twl xd
Jan 7, 2016 11:57 PM

Nov 2013
I like this anime, much like the same way Eiri fall in love with Cossette, If I had want a romance story whether it is Anime or live action series, I'd want it to be this OVA.
However. I'd probably like this more if this was more "friendly", some of scene when Eri's changed are kinda dragged and I kinda dislike the fact that both main characters always naked whenever they go to other universe aka the very important scene in every episode, I mean c'mon, There's no difference on the story if they just gave cossette the costum she was wearing throughout the series right?
Sigh, I guess it just anime being anime.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Feb 22, 2016 4:49 AM

Jun 2011
Two things I learned after watching this show,

(1) Never be with a pedo, it will get you killed.
(2) Shinbou will be Shinbou, pretentious directing with multiple pointless off shots and never put focus on where it should.

Great premise with terrible directing and execution.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 16, 2016 7:44 AM
Mar 2012
From ep1, found the odd camera angles, framing, focus on patterned backgrounds very unusual. Lots of eye posters & artistic choices, though didn't like some of it. It made sense when I saw Shinbou's name. And mc reminds me a lot of Araragi.
The strange romantic relationship, punisher & reincarnated sinner, guilt, gothic abstract imagery with some fantastic animation of Eiri suffering for its time (2004). CG backgrounds were ok for its time also.
Very amazing OSTs, reminds me of Kalafina. Later noticed music by Kajiura Yuki before she founded Kalafina.
Side characters are a bit random, and mains aren't very deep since it's like a 1:50 film, but the relationship & manner of storytelling was engrossing. The music, imagery & pacing kept me watching without ever wanting to pause, which is rare for me.
A true artist's sharp perception, I like how Eiri found the fake. And searched for the real Cossette. Ending got really quite abstract. Real Cossette "ran away", shown asleep on grey roses many times. He destroyed Marcelo's paintings (including the perfect fake), and made his own Cossette art. Then he visits her grave, which I assume referred to the sleeping "stone" in her narration. Last shot is a classic horror cut, where often a character revives with open eyes. I assume the real Cossette awakes from her eternal curse, and could pass on or rip.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Le Portrait de Petit Cossette Episode 2 Discussion

kittygoesmad - Dec 19, 2009

28 by lasodamos »»
Feb 26, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Le Portrait de Petit Cossette Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lostty - Dec 27, 2008

53 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 6, 2023 3:44 PM

» Le Portrait de Petit Cossette 02

dybuk - Nov 22, 2009

0 by dybuk »»
Nov 22, 2009 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.