Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any anime that you think should have ended sooner?

New
May 26, 9:41 PM

May 2020
I am not just talking about bad pacing or filler artificially extending an anime, but cases where the main story could have been shorter to make the overall experience better.

For me the poster child for anime that are too long is Meitantei Conan. I loved the black organization episodes, and I do think the writing in the regular 1-3 episodes mysteries is good, but for me it really has outstayed it's welcome at this point. I really wish that at the very least the series would conclude the black organization story and start a new "main story", but I have basically stopped watching Conan at this point.

Another series I will nominate is Ginga eiyuu densetsu. It is a series of extremes, some say it's overated boring garbage, others say it's the best anime ever made. I say, more modestly, it has it's ups and downs but overall it's very good. One of those downs is the final act of the story starting from when Reunethal does something pivotal(if you know you know). I can't say its completely iredeemable but to me it really just felt like a vain excuse to inject some more drama into a story that was almost ready to conclude already. I think the story of Julian Minci is still worthwhile and a good ending for the series but I wish the series had chosen a more direct path to get there that didn't involve Reunethals you know what (no not that, the other thing :)).

Anyway, what series do you think overstayed their welcome and/or jumped the shark?
AnjuroMay 26, 11:01 PM
May 26, 9:55 PM

Oct 2019
I think attack on titan should have ended with the rumbling.

I didn't hate the ending like a lot of other people. I thought all and all it was a "good" ending. But I still think if the show treated Rumbling like Ragnarök and treated it as something that when started CAN NOT be stopped, as we only see the result of it or how the other characters coped with it, it would have been a much better ending.

That would cut Eren's final bit characterization, but I think the sacrifice would have been worth it for what it would give.

It would give the potential to so many great character moments, and some of the best scenes of rumbling like the "I'm sorry" thing would still remain in the story.

This is partly because I think it would make for a FAR more memorable and powerful ending, and partly because I think the "stop Eren" plot line started with the series being at it's worst (everything that was in s4p2), and while the rest of it was good, it wasn't nearly as good as the climax of AOT could have been imo.

Like it had 10/10 potential, but I would say the last arc as a whole is like a low 7, if we include the s4p2 segment of it too. It's an 8 if we don't include the s4p2 part.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 26, 10:04 PM

May 2020
Reply to APolygons2
I think attack on titan should have ended with the rumbling.

I didn't hate the ending like a lot of other people. I thought all and all it was a "good" ending. But I still think if the show treated Rumbling like Ragnarök and treated it as something that when started CAN NOT be stopped, as we only see the result of it or how the other characters coped with it, it would have been a much better ending.

That would cut Eren's final bit characterization, but I think the sacrifice would have been worth it for what it would give.

It would give the potential to so many great character moments, and some of the best scenes of rumbling like the "I'm sorry" thing would still remain in the story.

This is partly because I think it would make for a FAR more memorable and powerful ending, and partly because I think the "stop Eren" plot line started with the series being at it's worst (everything that was in s4p2), and while the rest of it was good, it wasn't nearly as good as the climax of AOT could have been imo.

Like it had 10/10 potential, but I would say the last arc as a whole is like a low 7, if we include the s4p2 segment of it too. It's an 8 if we don't include the s4p2 part.
@APolygons2 I totally agree, although I would even take it a bit further and abridge everything past s3, preferably to fit in a single final season.

It really feels like going forward from s3 the characters we knew no longer existed. Overall I think the basic premise that there is this sort of imbalance of power and deep hatred in the world that makes peace nearly impossible is a fine enough premise to end the series on but it takes too long to get to the ending.

I think it would have been much better if the attack on marley section got expanded to fit the length of the whole season and you fitted all the major plot points in there ending with the rumbling as you suggested.
May 26, 10:11 PM

Jun 2011
Naruto, we all know that the last part with Kaguya shouldn't have happened.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 26, 10:14 PM
Aug 2018
I guess Monster could have definitely been shorter somehow.
May 26, 10:16 PM

May 2020
Reply to Tamasul
I guess Monster could have definitely been shorter somehow.
@Rhae Yeah, super agree. I legit almost dropped it back in the day but I am glad I didn't because the final 20 or so episodes are worth watching.
May 26, 10:53 PM

Aug 2022
Log Horizon shouldn't have had a 3rd season...season 1 and 2 were great...sure, there was no conclusion to the story (even in s3) but the quality dropped HARD for season 3. should have ended on a high note instead of wasting money and ending on a shit season like they did
May 26, 10:55 PM

May 2020
Reply to Saputrai
Log Horizon shouldn't have had a 3rd season...season 1 and 2 were great...sure, there was no conclusion to the story (even in s3) but the quality dropped HARD for season 3. should have ended on a high note instead of wasting money and ending on a shit season like they did
@Saputrai I feel like even season 2 was not as good as s1 imo. I think in this case the series just strayed too far from what made it good, even if you cut out the later seasons it would just make it frustrating that such a good premise didn't get a continuation, you can't make it better by omission.
May 26, 10:57 PM

Jul 2012
Couldn't you have written the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu part without including that spoiler? I was enjoying your post until then.

On topic, I feel most battle shounens really start dragging their feet towards the end. That might be because I've grown tired of stories where the fate of the entire world/galaxy/universe/multiverse rests in the hands of a single teenager, though. I'd prefer if the stories concluded while the stakes were still lower.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
May 26, 11:00 PM

May 2020
Reply to SleepingBear
Couldn't you have written the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu part without including that spoiler? I was enjoying your post until then.

On topic, I feel most battle shounens really start dragging their feet towards the end. That might be because I've grown tired of stories where the fate of the entire world/galaxy/universe/multiverse rests in the hands of a single teenager, though. I'd prefer if the stories concluded while the stakes were still lower.
@SleepingBear Sorry about that. You're right, I will reword it to be more vague.

You are right, shounen is a big culprit when it comes to extending shows unecessarilly, particularly the long running older shows like inuyasha.
May 26, 11:11 PM

Jul 2016
Detective Conan takes the cake. Largest sunk cost fallacy of mine.
May 26, 11:22 PM

Oct 2009
That would be "Death Note" and after we got a CLEAR winner... and it continues. The last 10 episodes are... well... disappointing especially that weak ending.
May 26, 11:22 PM

Jul 2012
Reply to Anjuro
@SleepingBear Sorry about that. You're right, I will reword it to be more vague.

You are right, shounen is a big culprit when it comes to extending shows unecessarilly, particularly the long running older shows like inuyasha.
@Anjuro Thanks for understanding.

Yeah, but I guess they still cater to enough people's tastes to get away with it. Not like I'm free of that either, most of the romance anime I enjoy could be concluded in a fraction of the time but I enjoy the slow burn.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
May 26, 11:39 PM

May 2020
Reply to SleepingBear
@Anjuro Thanks for understanding.

Yeah, but I guess they still cater to enough people's tastes to get away with it. Not like I'm free of that either, most of the romance anime I enjoy could be concluded in a fraction of the time but I enjoy the slow burn.
@SleepingBear Yeah romance is a weird one for me. Personally I hate the slow burn premises that end when the couple starts dating, or worse still, with no developments having occured but I have seen others passionately defend them saying the flirting stage is the most exciting in most relationships, so really extending it is just smart writing. I think if its not an obscenely long burn, like say 100+ episodes for them to even find out they like each other I think you could argue the slow burn is a feature and not a bug. In most romances its not like there's some grand plot anyway, it's mostly just a straightforward "find out they like you back" -> "find the courage to ask them out", the complications and the detours is the meat of the story, if you cut that out and just rush to the conclusion you'd be done in 2 episodes XD.
May 26, 11:51 PM

Apr 2020
Death note because Near was a HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE. character. OH MY GOD THAT GUY WAS SO BORING

I didn't really like legend of the galactic heroes but reuenthal was the only character that made it semi-enjoyable for me but idk that's me. ig it was just cuz I thought he was attractive smh
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 12:04 AM

May 2020
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
Death note because Near was a HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE. character. OH MY GOD THAT GUY WAS SO BORING

I didn't really like legend of the galactic heroes but reuenthal was the only character that made it semi-enjoyable for me but idk that's me. ig it was just cuz I thought he was attractive smh
@Kenzolo-folk I can see death note, as you might already know, at one point in time the series was meant to end before near got introduced.

Yeah I mean Reuenthal was a sexy boy, but didn't you feel like they sort of ruined his character a little bit? The way he brushes off Wolf (his best friend whom he would trust his life with), the way he, almost on a whim starts an unwinnable war ( even though there are so many lines about him being an impeccable commander ), and you even have that whole subplot with that woman who hates him that for some reason results in him keeping her as a pet or something? and her bearing his child. Idk, to me it just feels like they did my boy incredibly dirty.
May 27, 1:16 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Anjuro
@Kenzolo-folk I can see death note, as you might already know, at one point in time the series was meant to end before near got introduced.

Yeah I mean Reuenthal was a sexy boy, but didn't you feel like they sort of ruined his character a little bit? The way he brushes off Wolf (his best friend whom he would trust his life with), the way he, almost on a whim starts an unwinnable war ( even though there are so many lines about him being an impeccable commander ), and you even have that whole subplot with that woman who hates him that for some reason results in him keeping her as a pet or something? and her bearing his child. Idk, to me it just feels like they did my boy incredibly dirty.
@Anjuro
I mean he wasn’t really supposed to be likeable. From the beginning he’s arrogant towards woman cuz of his mom and stuff but at the same time is a womanizer for his own ego. He was loyal to reuenthal but he kept fantasizing about eventually usurping him and his obsession with rising to power made him fall off really bad 😭. He kept her around prolly for a sense of control cuz he’s kinda dead inside. I don’t think he was meant to do anything terrific because he was born from a lot of hate and that eventually culminated into his actions/personality. I guess I only liked his storyline cuz it felt the most human, a lot of the characters were really stale😨
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 1:21 AM

Sep 2016
Pokemon lmao, the main seasons have over 1200 episodes and it's almost always the same callow crap over and over.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 27, 1:27 AM

Nov 2023
Soul Eater should have been half the length, or at least cut out the ending filler
May 27, 1:43 AM

May 2020
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@Anjuro
I mean he wasn’t really supposed to be likeable. From the beginning he’s arrogant towards woman cuz of his mom and stuff but at the same time is a womanizer for his own ego. He was loyal to reuenthal but he kept fantasizing about eventually usurping him and his obsession with rising to power made him fall off really bad 😭. He kept her around prolly for a sense of control cuz he’s kinda dead inside. I don’t think he was meant to do anything terrific because he was born from a lot of hate and that eventually culminated into his actions/personality. I guess I only liked his storyline cuz it felt the most human, a lot of the characters were really stale😨
@Kenzolo-folk I mean yes he is a flawed character, but I feel like he just got stupid in that part of the story. He was supposed to be a genius, "the twin stars" they called them, even if Reuenthal had his shortcomings, he also had a side that could be respected.

You're right about his obsession with power, it was foreshadowed earlier in the story that Reuenthal would do this, when Reinhard taunts him saying that " if he thinks he could win, he should try to usurp his position", but Reunthal wasn't stupid, how was he supposed to win a war against the empire with only a small force, considering also the fact that he would have to convince all those people to participate in the coup, for no reason other than his pride? It just feels like a crazy thing to do.

I don't know dude, personally I can't see any good reason for Reunthal to keep that woman hostage, much less have sex with her. Not to mention, surely there is an implication here that he r*ped her isn't there? To me it just does not sound like something he would do, he's flawed but he's not evil. It's also not like it's his fetish or something, he's not like the nobles, in fact if I recall he assisted in reinhards rescue and he rebuked their actions. I do think you are right that he is broken in a sense, maybe he took some sick pleasure in the hate that woman had for him because he felt that's what he deserved, but idk I still can't accept it.

I can sort of see what you're saying about the staleness, many of the other admirals for example don't really have very compelling stories to them, even wolfs story would not be as good without Reuenthals betrayal. The way I see it the author didn't want to write dramatic things into the story if he could help it, except then there is this whole Reuenthal incident which is full of drama so I don't really know. I really liked Oberstein personally, I think he might be the best supporting character in all of anime, he's at least a contender. But yeah, when you consider how many characters there are in this series, a lot of them are not very memorable.
May 27, 2:02 AM

Feb 2024
Monster, Nana, Darling in the Franxx, Log Horizon, Tokyo Ghoul.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 27, 9:04 AM

Feb 2016
There are quite a lot of anime like that. Death Note is not one of them and neither is The Promised Neverland.
その目だれの目?
May 27, 4:38 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Anjuro
@Kenzolo-folk I mean yes he is a flawed character, but I feel like he just got stupid in that part of the story. He was supposed to be a genius, "the twin stars" they called them, even if Reuenthal had his shortcomings, he also had a side that could be respected.

You're right about his obsession with power, it was foreshadowed earlier in the story that Reuenthal would do this, when Reinhard taunts him saying that " if he thinks he could win, he should try to usurp his position", but Reunthal wasn't stupid, how was he supposed to win a war against the empire with only a small force, considering also the fact that he would have to convince all those people to participate in the coup, for no reason other than his pride? It just feels like a crazy thing to do.

I don't know dude, personally I can't see any good reason for Reunthal to keep that woman hostage, much less have sex with her. Not to mention, surely there is an implication here that he r*ped her isn't there? To me it just does not sound like something he would do, he's flawed but he's not evil. It's also not like it's his fetish or something, he's not like the nobles, in fact if I recall he assisted in reinhards rescue and he rebuked their actions. I do think you are right that he is broken in a sense, maybe he took some sick pleasure in the hate that woman had for him because he felt that's what he deserved, but idk I still can't accept it.

I can sort of see what you're saying about the staleness, many of the other admirals for example don't really have very compelling stories to them, even wolfs story would not be as good without Reuenthals betrayal. The way I see it the author didn't want to write dramatic things into the story if he could help it, except then there is this whole Reuenthal incident which is full of drama so I don't really know. I really liked Oberstein personally, I think he might be the best supporting character in all of anime, he's at least a contender. But yeah, when you consider how many characters there are in this series, a lot of them are not very memorable.
@Anjuro

True, but a lot of people say geniuses are also a little crazy at the same time. i think they were tryna make an Icarus type story where he flew too close to the sun. I think that implication is def a possibility but idk, we'll never know for sure. i agree oberstein was definitely goated.
May 27, 4:57 PM

Aug 2022
Surprised no one has mentioned yet Rent-a-Girlfriend...

While a lot of better shows got only one season, this series managed to get 3 seasons! And the manga is still being milked to death by its creator, with no apparent end in sight. I wouldn't be surprised if it truly becomes the "One Piece" of rom-coms in terms of the number of chapters....
May 27, 7:12 PM

Jun 2019
Zarutaku said:
Pokemon lmao, the main seasons have over 1200 episodes and it's almost always the same callow crap over and over.

It doesn't make sense from the standpoint of what the vast majority of an audience watching any series in chronological order from episode one on and intending to see it through would desire (since it's extremely cyclical and artificially stunted in development and a feeling of any positive progress and lasting growth from experiences overcome and internalized lessons), but it makes perfect sense from the standpoint of marketing if the ideal target demographic for the audience is supposed to watch the show at a certain young age for several months, maybe a year or two at most, and then be replaced by a new audience member of that same age as they themselves grow up and go on to watch other (mostly better) things.

WatchTillTandavaMay 27, 7:18 PM
May 27, 7:26 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to Alpha-Nine

While a lot of better shows got only one season, this series managed to get 3 seasons! And the manga is still being milked to death by its creator, with no apparent end in sight. I wouldn't be surprised if it truly becomes the "One Piece" of rom-coms in terms of the number of chapters....
@Alpha-Nine it sold 5M copies before season 1 aired and is at now 13M copies. It's not Miyajima who milk it it's weekly shounen magazine.
May 27, 7:29 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Alpha-Nine

@Alpha-Nine Personally Rent a GF should have ended in season 3! Come on MC help you make a movie and yet chizaru still friendzone him??! That asinine!
May 28, 12:48 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to WatchTillTandava
Zarutaku said:

It doesn't make sense from the standpoint of what the vast majority of an audience watching any series in chronological order from episode one on and intending to see it through would desire (since it's extremely cyclical and artificially stunted in development and a feeling of any positive progress and lasting growth from experiences overcome and internalized lessons), but it makes perfect sense from the standpoint of marketing if the ideal target demographic for the audience is supposed to watch the show at a certain young age for several months, maybe a year or two at most, and then be replaced by a new audience member of that same age as they themselves grow up and go on to watch other (mostly better) things.

@WatchTillTandava Yes, I know Pokemon is mostly a jump in and out Anime (kind of similar to OP's example of Detective Conan) and it makes sense to keep making new episodes from a marketing/financial standpoint, which btw also applies to almost every other show that went on for "too long" from certain viewer's standpoint.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 28, 1:03 AM
Nov 2017
Yeah Detective Conan is loooong overdue for an ending, like ffs, we want to see the conclusion already with the black organization (also Haibara best girl, but Masumi is decent choice too)
May 28, 1:16 AM

May 2018
About Detective Conan...guess what, the manga is on indefinite hiatus (because they are doing Kaitou Kid manga all of the sudden), but it's definitely in its endgame since the Black Organization is now aware of the shrinking, one Kaitou Kid character too.
May 28, 1:24 AM

May 2020
Reply to alshu
About Detective Conan...guess what, the manga is on indefinite hiatus (because they are doing Kaitou Kid manga all of the sudden), but it's definitely in its endgame since the Black Organization is now aware of the shrinking, one Kaitou Kid character too.
@alshu That's good to hear. While I am fed up with the filler, I still want to see the conclusion to the black organization story.

More topics from this board

» Happy Yuri Day

henmwats - 53 minutes ago

10 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
12 seconds ago

» What happened to shonen after DBZ ended but before One Piece started ?

tchitchouan - 2 hours ago

16 by tchitchouan »»
1 minute ago

» Bad dialogues

JoeChip - Yesterday

16 by Kenzolo-folk »»
2 minutes ago

» Anyone got turned off by the Big 3?

Zircon45 - 5 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
2 minutes ago

» Is Poison Pontaro the most interesting villain in the last decade?

Catalano - 3 minutes ago

0 by Catalano »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.