Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 9:42 AM

Nov 2011
I thought this episode would be a relaxing deserted island segment until the ghosts appeared. Luckily, they weren't violent and the episode still had its usual comedy moments.

Lol, the second half had my laughing a few times especially the trap part. The segment involving Ten this episode was weird. I am glad he got more screen time but he's such a strange character imo, even in this show.
May 2, 9:45 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverMay 2, 1:31 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 2, 10:59 AM

Dec 2021
Oh boy, Nagisa finally makes her appearance. She's perfect for this remake.

Lum accompanies a Mendo family helicopter carrying Ataru, Shinobu, and Mendo, all of whom have been invited to the opening of a new beach café by Ryūnosuke's Father on a private island. They find it peculiar—how could the notorious pauper afford such a grand purchase? Their questions are answered when they arrive on the island and witness Ryunosuke Fujinami and her father locked in a heated argument. It turns out the island is a deserted piece of land isolated from the nearest village by four miles of open ocean. Ryunosuke is reprimanding her father for the foolish purchase, but the old man remains oblivious. Although the visitors aren't surprised by this revelation, they choose to stay, with Shutaro instructing the helicopter pilot to return for them the next day.

The morning after a tumultuous night in Ataru's bedroom, Ten wanders around Tomobiki and hears a voice calling from a puddle. Upon investigating, he discovers a small figure claiming to be a fairy who travels from place to place, fulfilling children's dreams. The fairy explains that during a storm the previous night, he sought refuge in the puddle but lost his magical umbrella when the wind snatched it away. He pleads with Ten to help him retrieve it. The young Oni sets out on a quest and eventually finds the umbrella in the possession of Torajima. After reclaiming it from the cat, a gust of wind blows it into Lum's hands. Before Ten can retrieve it from her, Lum gives it to a nest of bird chicks, whose mother attacks Ten when he tries to take it back.

Poor Ten... all that effort for what? Lol.

May 2, 11:35 AM

Jan 2018
Finally, Ryunosuke's "fiance" Nagisa is here. You can see where the idea of Ranma constantly getting engaged to new partners came from.

Ngl, the voice actor Ayumu Murase did a great job voicing him. If I didn't already know who he was before watching this episode I probably wouldn't be able to tell that Nagisa's new voice actor is a guy... lol.

The scene where Ryunosuke discovers the truth about Nagisa was slightly altered. And tbh the comedic timing wasn't as good as the OVA. But I've replayed that scene so many times that I probably got accustomed to it. Still not sure why they had to change it at all.

But the biggest drawback for me was that we didn't get to see Lum in her red swimsuit... Why did they not include that...

Not much to say about the 2nd part. It was fine. The most notable thing was that they removed the Godzilla and Gyaos references from the manga and the OG anime.

It feels a little too late for Jariten to get screentime now. If they had to adapt this little pyromaniac's stories I would've preferred it if they introduced his love interest Mako or his badass firefighter mom instead.

From the preview audio, you can already tell that Nagisa will return in the next episode. I think it's good because his next story was never adapted in the OG anime. Hopefully, they'll adapt the other Inaba story too which was also never adapted before.
May 2, 12:36 PM

Feb 2019
Yea Ryūnosuke and Nagisa’s engagement went exactly how I expected. As soon as her dad mentioned he and his best friend planned to have their kids get married I KNEW Nagisa had to be a guy lol. Any friend of Ryūnosuke dad can’t be right in the head and is probably going to be forcing things on their kids, like forcing Ryunosuke to kiss Nagisa in this one.

Murase Ayumu is so good at voicing these types of characters, I didn’t even notice it was a guy voicing Nagisa until halfway thru the episode.

Dying because of sea urchin ice cream of all things is just ridiculous 😂 Over the top and funny episode as usual. Now that Nagisa has a physical body I’m looking forward to seeing more of him. With all the gender swap and engagement stuff going on lately in UY, you can see where Takahashi sensei first came up with a lot of her ideas for Ranma 1/2

Ten’s dream chasing segment with the fairy was alright, but Ryunosuke and Nagisa carried this one for me. It’s been so long since we saw the little guy, wish he got more screen time.

It’s nice that they’re adapting a lot of stories that were cut from the OG anime instead of just rehashing everything 1:1.
Marinate1016May 2, 12:53 PM
May 2, 12:50 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to 0451
Finally, Ryunosuke's "fiance" Nagisa is here. You can see where the idea of Ranma constantly getting engaged to new partners came from.

Ngl, the voice actor Ayumu Murase did a great job voicing him. If I didn't already know who he was before watching this episode I probably wouldn't be able to tell that Nagisa's new voice actor is a guy... lol.

The scene where Ryunosuke discovers the truth about Nagisa was slightly altered. And tbh the comedic timing wasn't as good as the OVA. But I've replayed that scene so many times that I probably got accustomed to it. Still not sure why they had to change it at all.

But the biggest drawback for me was that we didn't get to see Lum in her red swimsuit... Why did they not include that...

Not much to say about the 2nd part. It was fine. The most notable thing was that they removed the Godzilla and Gyaos references from the manga and the OG anime.

It feels a little too late for Jariten to get screentime now. If they had to adapt this little pyromaniac's stories I would've preferred it if they introduced his love interest Mako or his badass firefighter mom instead.

From the preview audio, you can already tell that Nagisa will return in the next episode. I think it's good because his next story was never adapted in the OG anime. Hopefully, they'll adapt the other Inaba story too which was also never adapted before.
0451 said:

Yeah, I hadn't realized Ranma straight up reused this episode with the story of Ukyo's former classmate.

0451 said:
If I didn't already know who he was before watching this episode I probably wouldn't be able to tell that Nagisa's new voice actor is a guy... lol.

Wow, really?

0451 said:

Ten's personality is pretty different from what I saw in the old anime. Urusei Yatsura doesn't feel like as much of a comedy without his nasty streak.
その目だれの目?
May 2, 1:48 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Here comes Ryūnosuke's "soul mate"in Nagisa. I had a feeling that Nagisa was a trap when her father didn't react when Ryūnosuke told him that she's a woman. It was even more obvious when Ataru and Medou didn't make a move on Nagisa's human form. The second half about Tem helping a fairy was a classic case of be careful what you wish for, because it might come true.
May 2, 2:27 PM
Jan 2024
I honestly didn't like it but hey...
May 2, 2:57 PM

Oct 2017
Ryuunosuke having a femboy fiance of all things. You know something's up when both Mendo and Ataru didn't make a move on him. Also who tf dies eating ice cream bruh. Poor Ten chan btw, knew that fairy was literally gonna make his dream come true.
May 2, 4:25 PM

Aug 2017
Hehe yep, since this is Nagisa's debut episode, it was actually clear as day that this chapter would be adapted in the reboot.

A really, really cool chapter. Even though it's very repetitive, I could literally watch Ryūnosuke and her father bickering and fighting forever - it's just too entertaining.😂
I also like these "gang" episodes where everyone in the force is involved
Favorite scene is the one in which Mendo and Ataru "compliment" each other so aptly and are almost at each other's throats about why neither of them has hit on Nagisa yet.

Nagisa is an interesting character - you have to keep in mind that the chapter is from July 1986 - a time when trans characters in anime (and in media in general) were still the absolute exception. Apart from Claudine and Hibari Ōzora (Stop Hibari-kun), who made their debuts in 1978 and 1981, I can't really think of many characters who were portrayed as trans back then. In that sense, Nagisa is a real pioneer.

The ending is typical Urusei Yatsura. The idea of ​​pairing a girl who always involuntarily falls back into the imposed boy role with a boy who in turn takes on the girl role is as simple as it is ingenious. Humor - that kind of humor.

Second episode with Ten also quite funny for in between.
0451 said:
It feels a little too late for Jariten to get screentime now..
Yeah, Ten is an interesting case. In the manga he first appears in chapter 63. The 80s anime - for some reason - took a liking to him and introduced him in the second episode - which means that Ten is just standing around in a lot of episodes at the beginning of the series - simply, because he doesn't even appear in the actual story.
The reboot, on the other hand, only introduces him halfway through the first season, lets him appear in between, sometimes not again. It's almost as if they realized "Oops, we introduced Ten as one of the main characters at some point and completely forgot to show him - let's squeeze out a few more episodes with him😅":

As a manga reader and watcher of the original series, I am of course very familiar with the good ol' Ten - I'm just wondering how closely pure reboot viewers are with Ten and whether they would even recognize him as the main character.

0451 said:
If they had to adapt this little pyromaniac's stories I would've preferred it if they introduced his love interest Mako or his badass firefighter mom instead.
Indeed, I agree. Firefighter and Mako would have been an extremely funny episode, but "Dead Peril in the Classroom" is also very funny "Urusei Yatsura" humor.
A third season would have really benefited the reboot - unfortunately, many characters are only portrayed very briefly and their diverse characters are hardly captured. I also don't have to fully understand the fact that next week a Ryūnosuke episode will be paired with a Ten episode again (or in this case: I don't want to understand either😂).

Nevertheless, despite the questionable episode selection, a very enjoyable television experience.🤗
May 2, 4:27 PM

May 2015
I definitely see the Ranma 1/2 inspiration in Nagisa and Ryunosuke's antics this episode. Glad that perfect timing with the fairy tale led to his revival. Nagisa's VA Ayumu Murase is quite good at portraying them! Second half of the episode was also cute watching Ten float around trying to find that umbrella. If only he didn't have that nightmare!
May 2, 5:17 PM
Oct 2019
Fun episode, I really like Nagisa so far!
May 2, 5:49 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to lumjulian
Hehe yep, since this is Nagisa's debut episode, it was actually clear as day that this chapter would be adapted in the reboot.

A really, really cool chapter. Even though it's very repetitive, I could literally watch Ryūnosuke and her father bickering and fighting forever - it's just too entertaining.😂
I also like these "gang" episodes where everyone in the force is involved
Favorite scene is the one in which Mendo and Ataru "compliment" each other so aptly and are almost at each other's throats about why neither of them has hit on Nagisa yet.

Nagisa is an interesting character - you have to keep in mind that the chapter is from July 1986 - a time when trans characters in anime (and in media in general) were still the absolute exception. Apart from Claudine and Hibari Ōzora (Stop Hibari-kun), who made their debuts in 1978 and 1981, I can't really think of many characters who were portrayed as trans back then. In that sense, Nagisa is a real pioneer.

The ending is typical Urusei Yatsura. The idea of ​​pairing a girl who always involuntarily falls back into the imposed boy role with a boy who in turn takes on the girl role is as simple as it is ingenious. Humor - that kind of humor.

Second episode with Ten also quite funny for in between.
0451 said:
It feels a little too late for Jariten to get screentime now..
Yeah, Ten is an interesting case. In the manga he first appears in chapter 63. The 80s anime - for some reason - took a liking to him and introduced him in the second episode - which means that Ten is just standing around in a lot of episodes at the beginning of the series - simply, because he doesn't even appear in the actual story.
The reboot, on the other hand, only introduces him halfway through the first season, lets him appear in between, sometimes not again. It's almost as if they realized "Oops, we introduced Ten as one of the main characters at some point and completely forgot to show him - let's squeeze out a few more episodes with him😅":

As a manga reader and watcher of the original series, I am of course very familiar with the good ol' Ten - I'm just wondering how closely pure reboot viewers are with Ten and whether they would even recognize him as the main character.

0451 said:
If they had to adapt this little pyromaniac's stories I would've preferred it if they introduced his love interest Mako or his badass firefighter mom instead.
Indeed, I agree. Firefighter and Mako would have been an extremely funny episode, but "Dead Peril in the Classroom" is also very funny "Urusei Yatsura" humor.
A third season would have really benefited the reboot - unfortunately, many characters are only portrayed very briefly and their diverse characters are hardly captured. I also don't have to fully understand the fact that next week a Ryūnosuke episode will be paired with a Ten episode again (or in this case: I don't want to understand either😂).

Nevertheless, despite the questionable episode selection, a very enjoyable television experience.🤗
lumjulian said:
Yeah, Ten is an interesting case. In the manga he first appears in chapter 63. The 80s anime - for some reason - took a liking to him and introduced him in the second episode

That is the episode that hooked me onto Urusei Yatsura.
その目だれの目?
May 2, 6:54 PM

Apr 2022
fun episode yet again LMFAO that twist with nagisa was crazy, i don't recall that happening tbh so it really caught me off-guard. and so that's why ataru and mendo were holding back, they got a third eye for these things.
May 2, 6:58 PM

Dec 2022
I'd say that place was worth 300 yen
these two were truly ahead of the times with their love story ^_^
May 2, 7:16 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Really happy to see the Nagisa episode made it into the remake, as it was just an OVA before and was never part of the original show, however the OVA is very very good, I looked back at my old screenshots and damn they’re good looking, comparing it to the remake is almost unfair but I do like the remake’s style of course lol. And they did a good job with Nagisa, I think they made him being a trap convincing enough with the voice acting even if I already knew the secret. I’m also glad the spooky scenes stuck around too, I wanted to see deadhead Nagisa in the remake lol. And thankfully this isn’t all we’re seeing of Nagisa if the next episode featuring him is correct, I was hoping there would be more on Nagisa in the OVAs but it didn’t happen, glad to see it happening now.

And I was just thinking this episode that Ten hadn’t gotten anything in a while, well it finally happened and it was a fun bit, i remember liking that episode quite a bit in the OG, but the fact it was shortened this much in the remake definitely makes it not as good, still fun tho, I like that we got to see Ten’s imaginary wedding with Sakura here as well, although I’m not sure if Sakura would be down for it lol.
May 2, 8:57 PM
May 2017
Excellent episode!

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 2, 11:13 PM

May 2019
I glad at least Nagisa will have her proper story adapted in the remake and I'm pretty neutral about her. The male reveal is a little different while in the OVA, it's Nagisa who show his male chest. The best part of this episode was when Lum and Shinobu pointing out two idiot resident perverts radar were off lmao. There are far better stories for Ten and yet they picked this one. Where is Ten's mother ? I know many people hate Ten but her mother need to be introduced lol. They can't just keep focusing on the side characters back to back like this and we need more Atalum and her gang focused episodes back. And looks like "keep quiet class" Onsen episode is next week and it was one of the funniest story in the OG with how the whole class turned in the end.

May 3, 1:36 AM

Mar 2016
I wish Nagisa's part was more long (like they could have made it a whole episode) ;o;

Sorry, my english may not be the best, I am french.

May 3, 7:02 AM
Oct 2019
Ghost Shenanigans!!
Of course Ryuunosuke's Father have a friend like that LMAO
these two L father is the worst.

Bruhh literally Ten dream comes true, the fairy didn't lie at all. lol
May 3, 8:03 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
A seaside cafe thats quite far from the nearest beach lol. So the island was a bargain because of its haunted nature huh. As ways of dying goes death via overconsumption of shaved ice sure was a unique one. The sea urchin's tears sure were magical. The dream that Ten chan was awarded though was far from what was needed lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 8:52 AM

Feb 2020
Otoko 😳😳😳

May 3, 11:33 AM
Sep 2018
Gender doesn’t matter but love does ❤️
Btw Ten looks so cute going up the rainbow🌈
May 3, 2:42 PM

Jun 2019
ryunosuke nothing but a victim
May 3, 3:54 PM
Feb 2020
Finally, the two traps have finally met!

Also, it's a small thing but I love how Ataru and Mendou were actually vibing for the most part as everything alse was going down.
May 3, 6:44 PM

Sep 2011
See it's not a twist that Nagisa's a femboy cause he's voiced by Shouta Aoi.

Very funny Symphogear reference though
May 4, 4:35 AM

Jul 2017
Ryunosuke's father purchasing a seaside cafe...on a dinky little island, it's more than meets the eye.

His dead friend Shiowatari and his only sister Nagisa being dead and wandering spirits, they're pranksters for what could've been a potential marriage between the two families...except that they didn't care if Ryunosuke is a man or a woman. But being dead due to poisonous sea urchin and adzuki shaved ice...or rather, the excessive overeating of shaved ice, it's better to ignore the fact to give a Yuri kiss since she can't pass to the afterlife without having one. But being ghosts, they'll try whatever it is to make sure that the kiss does get through, and the sea urchin's tears give her some semblance of living. The thing is, both Ataru and Mendo aren't going for Nagisa, which is rather odd for womanizers...and what a bait and switch for Nagisa being a man with a womanly voice.

Oh welp, Ataru and Ten's rivlary doesn't stop, and it takes a fairy's parasol for a dream to come true. But this parasol is met with stories winding around, and is eventually met back to the fairy to fulfill his dream...of the crappy dream that he had lols.

Nagisa's reveal is certainly telling of the concept behind Ranma 1/2.
May 4, 4:35 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Lol finally someone for Ryuunosuke, the opposite gender but the same situation, though their death was.. something.
Also Ten got hard trolled with his dream in the 2nd story xD
May 4, 4:41 AM

May 2015
The part with Nagisa the ghost reminds me of a Ranma 1/2 episode.
May 4, 11:44 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Fitting that Ryonosuke who's a girl that looks like a boy is being chased by a boy who looks like a girl. The cast really seemed too calm about the fact that the technique was able to revive Nagisa just like that. It was like "oh, well that happened". Still thinking about it.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 5, 10:51 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The first short was amazing, and the final surprise was unbelieve!!!!
kekeke
May 5, 8:46 PM
Mar 2015
At least her fiance is a boy Poor Ten was screwed over by the fairy
May 6, 2:42 PM
Feb 2024
i fuxbvu love urusei yatsura mmhmghmmhgm mendo my poker bear
May 6, 3:07 PM
Jan 2023
NAHHHHHHHHHHHHH💀
May 6, 11:28 PM

Oct 2008
Normally, I wouldn't comment on this series episodes since everything about this series are pretty much all the tropes that we all see today and only watch this for historical reason, to experience what people saw back then.

But I just have to say this, What the heck was that just happened at the end of episode!? So weird it made me lol xDD
May 11, 5:19 AM
Jul 2023
This time, episode 16 of season 2 is a relaunch of "Nagisa's ova Fiance" and episode 186 "Dreaming Ten-chan! The Great Adventure at the End of the Rainbow!!" of the original (an adaptation of chapter 299 of the manga). Firstly, it was Ava who was always quite crazy, in the works of Rumiko Takahashi there were always characters who did not seem to be who they wanted to look like, Tsubassa from Ranma 1/2, Nagisa is no exception - you don't want a femboy. Secondly, the adaptation of chapter 299 is quite different from the 1986 version, only the beginning and the end are very similar, most likely due to the small remaining timekeeping, we had to narrow down part of the series, it became chaotic and lost its feature.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - May 16

36 by kyledluffy »»
40 minutes ago

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 8

48 by Kiikani »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 25

43 by Fortress_Maximus »»
May 15, 3:46 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 9

28 by rasterman7 »»
May 13, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 18

43 by Netbug »»
May 13, 11:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.