Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 18, 11:09 AM

Oct 2010
Grab your vodka and your fur hat, it's time to decide who's best russian in anime.

DISCLAIMER I am a person of GREAT TASTE, if your pick isn't on here then it just means it is trash.
Apr 18, 11:10 AM

Feb 2020
Sanya V. Litvyak from Strike Witches.

Apr 18, 11:14 AM

May 2019
Komako Semenovich and Komiya Yuriya.

Apr 18, 11:15 AM

Dec 2022
Irina Luminesk. Zirnitra (the setting of her anime) is essentially an alt-history/alt-world Russia, so it counts.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 18, 11:24 AM

Oct 2017
I remember Tala/Yuriy in Beyblade being pretty cool he also just has a fucking gun in the manga which is hilarious
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 18, 11:32 AM
Nov 2017
Reply to tchitchouan
Komako Semenovich and Komiya Yuriya.

@tchitchouan that loli looks generic as fuckm also I accidentally clicked on her in the poll, even though I haven't watched Shoujo Ramune
Apr 18, 11:35 AM

Feb 2011
Reply to Serafos
Sanya V. Litvyak from Strike Witches.

@Serafos I support this message.

Also:
Regarding Balalaika, Black Lagoon series creator Rei Hiroe stated the reason that he made a woman the head of Hotel Moscow: "Simply because I thought it'd be better to see a woman's butt. Her scars are totally my fetish too. I've loved female characters with scars since I drew Grimalkin von Stieber in Hisuikyokitan."
Apr 18, 11:41 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Archean-Return
Irina Luminesk. Zirnitra (the setting of her anime) is essentially an alt-history/alt-world Russia, so it counts.

It's hard to choose between Balalaika, Anya from IMAS and the girls from Girls un Panzer, but I'll go with Balalaika. She has been one of the most meme-worthy Russian/Soviet characters in the Eastern European anime community for many years.

@Archean-Return I would say that the show is more likely to perceive her as quasi-Romanian or even gypsy than Russian, given the surname and lore. But why not?
Apr 18, 11:43 AM

Nov 2011
Anastasia "Annya" from Idolmaster Cinderella Girls. Incidentally, the voice actress for Annya also voiced Alisa Mikhailovna "Alya" Kujou
So because they share the same VA, for the choices above I'd have to go with Mikhailovna.

Uesaka, Sumire actually speaks quite a bit of Russian when voicing Annya from Cinderella Girls, and she sounds cute and cool when speaking in Russian.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 18, 11:47 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Shizuna
@Serafos I support this message.

Also:
Regarding Balalaika, Black Lagoon series creator Rei Hiroe stated the reason that he made a woman the head of Hotel Moscow: "Simply because I thought it'd be better to see a woman's butt. Her scars are totally my fetish too. I've loved female characters with scars since I drew Grimalkin von Stieber in Hisuikyokitan."
@Shizuna Well, the female head of the elite Soviet special forces may look quite unbelievable to those familiar with the Soviet gender diversity in the military. Although at a critical hour in the Soviet army there was always a place for many talented and heroic military women (just remember the sniper Pavlyuchenko or the prototype of the already mentioned Litvyak). But she really is one of the most impressive Russian characters in anime.
Apr 18, 12:07 PM

Jul 2021
Any excuse to talk about Golden Kamuy. Russian grandma breaks out of Siberian prison and fights a tiger:
Apr 18, 5:12 PM

Dec 2015
Funny enough cause who would have been surprised that I have one of such hats the winter one which covers ears the most famous one [without USRR emblem on it] and vodka already prepared, quoting some randoms on internet whom I've seen somewhere in youtube "Polish people are more Russian than Russian".
Russian vodka is only for cleaning, Polish is only for drinking, change my mind - quite a famous saying which I think originates from Dr House

My favorite hmmm I think it's Vorona from DRRR

ZettaikenApr 18, 5:19 PM
Apr 18, 5:17 PM

May 2015
No Vasily from Golden Kamuy, your poll is invalid
Apr 18, 5:24 PM

Jun 2019
RobertBobert said:
I would say that the show is more likely to perceive her as quasi-Romanian or even gypsy than Russian, given the surname and lore. But why not?

The country it's set in is clearly a high fantasy/alternate world version of the Soviet Union opposing the United Kingdom of Arnak (stand-in for the U.S./Western world in general) during the late 1950s - early 1960s period of the Space Race. But she herself could belong to an ethnic minority instead of being an ethnic Russian, as you said. I only watched the series all the way through once when it aired back in late 2021, but for some reason I got the impression that the implication was that vampires were being portrayed as a Caucasian minority group like Chechens or Ossetians when it showed the raid on her home village/family.

I don't know if vampires were considered like technically a separate species, a subspecies of human or demihuman, or what in the world and lore of the show, and whether if being one is tied to ethnicity apart from that or not, but it just seemed like vampires were being represented as a Russian (Zirnitran in this case) national ethnic minority group.

But such a person could still be considered Russian, right (nationality-wise, just not ethnically)?
WatchTillTandavaApr 18, 5:29 PM
Apr 18, 5:35 PM

Feb 2023
Probably Pepesha "Spirits" Andreianov from Shy.
Apr 18, 5:41 PM

Mar 2019
Definitely Hyouga!

DIAMOND DUST!❄️
Apr 18, 6:10 PM

Jun 2015
Bro just snuck in a hentai character. -Komako Semenovich
Read Toriko!
Apr 18, 6:11 PM

Oct 2013
@phantom346 I was just about to say "that Black guy from Durarara!!".
Apr 18, 7:09 PM

Nov 2019
Catalano said:
DISCLAIMER I am a person of GREAT TASTE, if your pick isn't on here then it just means it is trash.

Shame on you when the only character who's ever breathed a single word of Russian tongue is

Imagine creating this kind of poll for Best Romanian or Die/Der Beste Deutsche when they don't even practically use the language =)) And Imagine tagging something that's not USSR anthem, lol

SgtBateManApr 18, 7:28 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 18, 8:52 PM

Jan 2017
@phantom346
I was going to mention Simon too!
Apr 18, 9:03 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to WatchTillTandava
RobertBobert said:
I would say that the show is more likely to perceive her as quasi-Romanian or even gypsy than Russian, given the surname and lore. But why not?

The country it's set in is clearly a high fantasy/alternate world version of the Soviet Union opposing the United Kingdom of Arnak (stand-in for the U.S./Western world in general) during the late 1950s - early 1960s period of the Space Race. But she herself could belong to an ethnic minority instead of being an ethnic Russian, as you said. I only watched the series all the way through once when it aired back in late 2021, but for some reason I got the impression that the implication was that vampires were being portrayed as a Caucasian minority group like Chechens or Ossetians when it showed the raid on her home village/family.

I don't know if vampires were considered like technically a separate species, a subspecies of human or demihuman, or what in the world and lore of the show, and whether if being one is tied to ethnicity apart from that or not, but it just seemed like vampires were being represented as a Russian (Zirnitran in this case) national ethnic minority group.

But such a person could still be considered Russian, right (nationality-wise, just not ethnically)?
@WatchTillTandava Well, Luminescu is clearly a Rumanian, not even a Moldavian, surname. Plus the stereotypical association of vampires with Romania. All the Soviet characters in the show, as far as I remember, have stereotypically Eastern European names. Probably the author got confused in modern disputes about the identity of Romanians and Moldovans, therefore, given the location of Moldova in the USSR, he identified local Romanians with local analogue of the USSR. But yes, although Russians don't tend to confuse ethnicity with nationality so much, I don't think that's a problem.
Apr 18, 9:20 PM

Jul 2021
zoya would be my second pick. first one of course goes to komako

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 18, 9:35 PM

Feb 2021
Anya from The Idolm@ster and Alya from the Roshidere LN are really good.

But Komako from Shoujo Ramune is also top tier.
Apr 18, 9:36 PM

Jan 2024
Don’t know about the best but I like Tanya Vishneva from Nodame Cantabile.
Apr 19, 8:06 AM

Nov 2014
Semyon from Durarara!!
What a charismatic character
Apr 19, 8:53 AM

Feb 2016
They just cancelled a highly anticipated movie about Russians.
その目だれの目?
Apr 19, 9:04 AM

Mar 2024
Vasily Pavlichenko is the only Russian character to me, next.
Apr 19, 9:13 AM

Jan 2024
The loli MC from Seikon no Qwaser imo.
Apr 19, 10:19 AM

Jul 2021
Not sure which one is the best but Katyusha from GuP comes to mind.
Apr 19, 10:42 AM

Apr 2013
Marfa Boretskaya from Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon.

Pictures :

Powerful Necromancer, mayor and commander the city-fortress of Novgorod, built on a sky floating island, full of undeads serving her, riding a skeleton horse in battle, owner of one of the seven deadly sin armaments. Can't be cooler than that now.
ZefyrisApr 19, 10:48 AM
Apr 19, 11:04 AM
May 2015
@phantom346 Excuse me, isn't Laura supposed to be German?
Apr 19, 11:19 AM

Sep 2014
Misha Takanashi. She has a pet ferret which is really nice and now she's my pet loli.

Apr 19, 11:34 AM
Aug 2020
Reply to phantom346
Bro just snuck in a hentai character. -Komako Semenovich
I only remember Komako from the poll , so she's my choice too
Apr 19, 1:45 PM

Jun 2019
Catalano said:

For an Orihime fan, you should recognise that when it comes to Russian characters, your knowledge is very lacking.

Cryska Barchenowa from Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse would easily win the competition in the female category:

Apr 19, 1:46 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to Haneken2086
@phantom346 Excuse me, isn't Laura supposed to be German?
@Haneken2086 oh you're right. I saw her on a Ranker list of Russian characters. They lied to me.
Read Toriko!
Apr 19, 2:19 PM
Nov 2019
Fyodor Dostoevsky in Bungou Stray Dogs, he's so cute.
Here his MAL profile
piroriparopiriraApr 19, 2:23 PM
Apr 19, 3:35 PM

Jan 2008
How could you overlook Volg from Hajime no Ippo?
𝘔𝘢𝘥𝘢𝘰 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬. 𝘈 𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘴. 𝘐𝘵 𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬.
Apr 19, 4:07 PM
Nov 2022
KATUSHA from Girls und Panzer, cleaaaarly the best russian, no contest
Apr 19, 5:46 PM

Jul 2021
Victor Nikiforov, from Yuri on Ice!

Apr 19, 6:39 PM

May 2021
Nani? No hafu allowed??

He the best!

What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol

More topics from this board

» Does femdom ruin romance anime for you?

Sanjay63773 - 50 minutes ago

9 by Tropisch »»
7 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

57 by Toooooooooohru »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Yesterday

83 by ilusatus »»
10 minutes ago

» who do you think is the best isekai mc and who is the worst ?

ame - 6 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
26 minutes ago

» Who are your allies in the anime industry/community?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

21 by Lucifrost »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.